Buzz's job security

9,491 Views | 79 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by greg.w.h
EastTX_Ag21
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If we do not make the ncaa tournament next year , how hot do you think Buzz's seat will be ??
bobinator
AG
Depends on how close we are to making it or not.

To be clear, I don't think the seat would be that hot at the end of next season no matter what happens, but if we absolutely suck again it would be hot going into 22-23.
Proposition Joe
I'd say barring a scandal there's zero chance he's fired before 23-24 season is complete. Not going to pay two years of a buyout on a coach of his caliber.
greg.w.h
AG
We got rid of the women's golf coach but the situation had something to it that we don't have a lot of information on. Short of some form of flat insubordination, lack of fulfillment of contract duties, or the ever infamous "moral terpitude", I don't think he is going to be summarily dismissed in part because the payout is still large.

But being on a hot seat means rumblings pressuring the AD to make a change. Another incomprehensibly awful season won't do him any favors with the interested public.
bobinator
AG
I think it would depend on how bad we are.

I don't have much faith in us raising much money for a buyout in basketball but if we're absolutely awful in year three again, and then things are looking bad in year four surely they'd at least start kicking the tires on pulling the money together after that season.

But maybe you're right.

I don't think we'll actually be bad enough for that to be an issue though.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Tangent discussion. Is there any SEC Coach who is on the 'hot seat' this upcoming season? I.e., better make NCAA or likely get canned?

Crean at Georgia maybe? This upcoming season is #4 for him and he has really disappointed the fanbase over there the first 3 years.

This Dawg writer thinks Crean's seat is pretty hot and he is in a Must Win Now situation.

Michael Foster Now a Must for Tom Crean and Georgia Basketball - Sports Illustrated Georgia Bulldogs News, Analysis and More
bballcoach
There are a lot of variables to this question. Losses(BAD) I think will answer this question. Also the players that jumped ships productivity will be a factor.
Serious Lee
so many coaches in lot of sports benefitting from the state of the economy. Buzz is safe, for now. Interested to see who/how much it costs for jo evans inevitable replacement next spring.
MarcAg
AG
EastTX_Ag said:

If we do not make the ncaa tournament next year , how hot do you think Buzz's seat will be ??

It gets hot in year 5 if he hasn't made the tourney. Not saying it should take that long, just don't think we do anything in next 2 off seasons regardless. Going to be very tough for us to make the tourney this year with our present roster. Not saying it can't be done, but as far as roster talent we probably aren't a top 9 SEC team today.

I still believe Buzz can get it done. SEC is a lot better than it was when he took the job, so he needs to really step it up to compete and a lot of that is simply acquiring better talent.
bballcoach
There are a lot of variables to this question. Losses(BAD) I think will answer this question. Also the players that jumped ships productivity will be a factor.
bobinator
AG
Wow the rare 2.5 hour double post
WallyWonka
AG
EastTX_Ag said:

I'll let you know up front, I think Buzz is great and will prove to be a great hire.

Regarding your question, in Buzz's first year, the team was on a roll when the tournament was to start and the season came to an abrupt end. Buzz didn't get an off-season with his players. In his first season he may have made the tournament, but we'll never know.

The beginning of the second year, and throughout the season, there were starts and stops (COVID protocols, no games, practices, etc.). Yes, they didn't play very well for the season, but had some flashes.

My answer to your question is NO, he shouldn't be on the HOT SEAT.

My question to you, in answering your question--what part of normal, has been normal the past two seasons?

If at your employment, you were to have started a new job and this were to happen to you, would you want to be judged on your performance the last two years?

In my humble opinion, you have to give the guy two full (NORMAL) seasons (the last two season were not even close to normal), and then see where he's taken TAMU basketball.
Gap
AG

Quote:

In his first season he may have made the tournament, but we'll never know.
We were playing better basketball for sure, but the hole that was dug primarily in Orlando was very deep. So the odds were highly remote. We had to win the SEC tourney for sure. So like under 5%.

We would have had to win 4 games in 4 days and would have been a slight favorite in 1 game and a significant underdog in 3 of them.

EastTX_Ag21
AG
I agree that the first two seasons have been some weird ones & that I still believe that buzz can be a great coach.
But he has had some player misses like not taking sahvir wheeler, Aku, Marfo, idk he just needs to recruit more in Texas for me instead of Canada & I think the new assistant he has brought in will do that because he is from here.
I just wanted to start this topic to see what everyone is was thinking about buzz .
Proposition Joe
Giving him a pass for Year 2... ok... Every coach dealt with COVID, but sure.

Giving him a pass for Year 1? We weren't a tournament team. We weren't close to a tournament team.
Proposition Joe
bobinator said:

I think it would depend on how bad we are.

I don't have much faith in us raising much money for a buyout in basketball but if we're absolutely awful in year three again, and then things are looking bad in year four surely they'd at least start kicking the tires on pulling the money together after that season.

But maybe you're right.

I don't think we'll actually be bad enough for that to be an issue though.

Agreed we won't be bad enough for it to be an issue, but even with 2 more bad seasons I simply don't think anyone could justify moving on simply because the resume and the fit. Only way a buyout makes sense in that situation is if you absolutely know a new hire would be better than what we have and it's doubtful we'd be able to lure any one with a better resume than what Buzz has.
Ag_EE_88
AG
He does not get a pass for year 1. We weren't good enough to make the tournament. And the team looked so bad last year, I don't think you can just give him a pass for that either. We looked like we didn't have a coach. He won't get fired after next year but if we don't show some major improvement, then he will be on the hot seat the year after. We may not be able to land a 'proven' coach like Buzz but no one thought we'd hire the baseball coach that we got either so you never know.
MarcAg
AG
Did you expect him to get us to the tourney in year 1?
Ag_EE_88
AG
And if next year is another bad year with a bunch of players leaving, it's doubtful that the year after we'd be any good either. And our recruiting will take a big(ger) hit. I have no idea if we will be good next year but it's going to be hard to be worse than we were this year.
Ag_EE_88
AG
No. I think giving someone a pass means that they did worse than expected and then say that it didn't matter. I think we did about as expected in year 1.
MarcAg
AG
That's fair
greg.w.h
AG
Gap said:

Quote:

We were playing better basketball for sure, but the hole that was dug primarily in Orlando was very deep. So the odds were highly remote. We had to win the SEC tourney for sure. So like under 5%.

We would have had to win 4 games in 4 days and would have been a slight favorite in 1 game and a significant underdog in 3 of them.

That's like suggesting the softball team didn't get in this year. That premise was false. We cannot know what didn't happen.
Tavares19
AG
He's completely safe for now, but another finish in the bottom third of the SEC this year and his seat is definitely warm in 22-23. Need to make the tourney by that season at minimum. 4 years of no tournament would be no better than the prior coach
Ag_EE_88
AG
I will say that although Buzz may not be on the hot seat, his coaching staff was likely put on notice when he let his long time assistant go along with his best player. I'm sure that they know that if they don't perform that Buzz won't hesitate to replace them. It is clear he will do what he thinks is necessary to establish a system/program including losing the 2 best players on the team.
pec25
AG
Other than another year or major staff and roster turmoil and uncompetitive basketball, Buzz will stay off the hot seat.
bobinator
AG
WallyWonka said:

It's absolutely crazy that some people still believe this.
Dominion Caracas Branch
I think he gets four years minimum. Now if no tourney appearance after year four, then I think they would seriously look at parting ways with him.
bobinator
AG
I still think post-year-four is only even a possibility if we absolutely suck again next year and then absolutely suck to start year four. Even then, the more I think about it the more I agree with Prop Joe.

But we could be a lot better than we were the first two years and still miss the NCAA's.

Given how this offseason has gone I can even see a situation where we don't make the tournament this year but at the end of the season most of us are feeling a lot better about where the program is headed.
mikesyracuse1
Pumpkinhead said:

Tangent discussion. Is there any SEC Coach who is on the 'hot seat' this upcoming season? I.e., better make NCAA or likely get canned?

Crean at Georgia maybe? This upcoming season is #4 for him and he has really disappointed the fanbase over there the first 3 years.

This Dawg writer thinks Crean's seat is pretty hot and he is in a Must Win Now situation.

Michael Foster Now a Must for Tom Crean and Georgia Basketball - Sports Illustrated Georgia Bulldogs News, Analysis and More

He's lost his top 6 scorers and four starters from last seasons Georgia team. They have 9 newcomers for the upcoming season. It's definitely going to be a tough road ahead.

We were both young assistants together many years ago on a top 20 team and he was an excellent recruiter on the staff.

I hope he's able to win soon, but that's a tall order.

Mikesyracuse1
Proposition Joe
Just doesn't seem at all likely that after 4 years we'd pay millions to get rid of a coach for an "up-and-comer" with no ties to the school.
mikesyracuse1
EastTX_Ag said:

Not even warm!

Mikesyracuse1
Hop
Staff
AG
Proposition Joe said:

Giving him a pass for Year 1? We weren't a tournament team. We weren't close to a tournament team.

There's no pass to give in year one. It was year one of inheriting a bad team. The team improved throughout the season and was playing well at the end. You make it sound like year one was a failure. It was not.

Theoretically, Buzz is two years away from a warm seat, and three seasons from a hot seat. But I dint think it ever gets to that.
bobinator
AG
You should make this a separate thread. Would be a good discussion.
Proposition Joe
Hop said:

Proposition Joe said:

There's no pass to give in year one. It was year one of inheriting a bad team. The team improved throughout the season and was playing well at the end. You make it sound like year one was a failure. It was not.

Theoretically, Buzz is two years away from a warm seat, and three seasons from a hot seat. But I dint think it ever gets to that.

So he inherited a bad team.

But then that bad team was able to "play well at the end".

That's pretty darn convenient.

Reality is the roster he had at the start of the year (that lost to bad teams) was no different than the roster had had at the end of the year (that beat Arkansas and Auburn)-- he simply did not have his team prepared to play to start the season and he's admitted as much.

This lack of preparation reared it's head again the next season when his team struggled to beat Tarleton State, got embarrassed by a bad TCU team and then managed to miss an entire month of the season because no one was really taking things all that seriously.

The amount of lipstick that has been put on the pig of his first season here (to the extent that a TA writer actually said we had a chance to make the tournament if we won a game or 2 in the SECT -- huh what?) is amazing. Should we have been a tournament team? Probably not. But we also shouldn't have been losing to Fairfield, Harvard and Temple and struggling to beat Texas A&M Corpus Christi.
greg.w.h
AG
I guess we could rag on Kennedy more to make a better contrast with what Buzz is doing differently that is appealing.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.