Miller transferring

23,620 Views | 197 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by bobinator
Mikeyshooter
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Method Man said:

Miller is similar to Elston Turner and Bernard King in that he is a wildly talented player that will mostly be forgotten because he spent his time playing on bad teams that didn't accomplish anything.

We're talking about two of the best scorers that have ever played here. I understand the comparison but Miller isn't close to those guys' level.
DukeMu
sincereag said:

All I can say is Cashius McNeeley really screwed our program over. He should have been on the court this past year helping our team instead of sitting at home in Canada. Now he gets up and leaves and takes our best player with him.
This.
DukeMu
Topher17 said:

There was no mass exodus before this?

Flagg and Chandler were seniors. Without Covid they're done with basketball. Aku leaving probably improves the roster. We knew McNeily was leaving, but we've never even seen him play. This is the first "oh sh*t" departure of the offseason.
Correct.
MarcAg
AG
Mikeyshooter said:

Method Man said:

Miller is similar to Elston Turner and Bernard King in that he is a wildly talented player that will mostly be forgotten because he spent his time playing on bad teams that didn't accomplish anything.

We're talking about two of the best scorers that have ever played here. I understand the comparison but Miller isn't close to those guys' level.

It wasn't until Elston 4th season before he averaged at least 6 ppg. Granted he missed almost all of his entire 3rd year.

Miller putting up 16+ as a sophomore is pretty impressive, especially when defenses had nobody else they needed to worry about on the offensive end.
DukeMu

1. OAD

2. This Portal crap

really have to end.

OAD takes away NCAAB's best talent. Go 3 years in college or straight to the pros like MLB. Leaves the game in chaos. For once, I am in agreement with Vitale, although I suspect so he can remember what team all the players are currently on!

The immediate eligibility portal allows coaches to poach players. Good coaches, transferring coaches. There have been and should be family exceptions, but have student establish a year of "residency" before reaping full benefits is actually standard at many universities (ex. in-state tuition).
bobinator
AG
Never gonna happen
DukeMu
bobinator said:

Never gonna happen

1. appears to be controlled by the NBA

2. can easily be rectified post-COVID and disagree. I believe it will be amended.

...because ratings will continue to decrease.

as teams lose identity, interest wanes. Ticket sales and eyes on flat screens sink.

Without EM, the team has no pre-season identity. I've been a Buzz fan over the years, but I'm not buying a ticket next year until the team finds an identity and begins to execute.

DukeMu
You simply can't allow a system where coaches poach players. This is the reason players had to establish a year of residency (this is the OG academic model) when transferring before eligibility.
bobinator
AG
They just passed the instant eligibility for first time transfers this week. There's no way it's going back the other way. Coaches are just going to have to adjust.
Proposition Joe
I don't mind social justice education and general "life" tutelage from a coach.

But When he basically said they skipped multiple practices for it... and then the team came out very obviously unprepared in multiple games, I wasn't thrilled -- but I told myself that you could view it in the "branding" angle and that if being this kind of coach helped you recruit/retain, then it was worth the reduced practice time.

Except now we're seeing an issue with portal recruiting and current player retainment.

So maybe lets make sure the team is fully prepared to, you know, play the sport you are coaching -- and then once that is squared away we can worry about the other life lessons, eh?
Double Diamond
Maroon Dawn said:

Buzz is a dinosaur that's about to go extinct

He gutted this program to implement a recruiting strategy that was already dying and is now officially dead and buried

But there will still be the fan boys telling us we have to be patient and give him 4 more years to "build his team"

You're a sad and miserable person who will never be happy. Buzz is easily a top 20 coach in the college game. This has better work as A&M isn't going out and getting better.
TyperWoods
Buzz's first year was fine. Had the team going in the right direction but the SEC tourney got covided.

Last season was awful.

Needs to be at least .500 next season and improving at the end. And needs to be better the year after.

The SJW crap is ruining everything.

bobinator
AG
If Buzz's "SJW crap" annoys some of y'all I can't even imagine this place if he was actually outspoken about stuff like a lot of other coaches have been.
Method Man
It annoys me but not much. Didn't seem to be that big of a focal point. Skipping a practice because of it was stupid and annoying though. Gimme a break. You're not good enough to pull that.
bobinator
AG
Other than the skipping a practice thing I feel like Buzz more or less did basically what your average college coach did. If you hate all of it I guess it's annoying, but he seemed to go out of his way not to even take stances publicly and just say the team talked about it or whatever.

Not like he took a knee with the team during the national anthem like Calipari.
Double Diamond
You do understand in order to recruit coaches have yo be able to speak to things the recruits like. The social justice stuff is part of the gig. Stop being unhinged.
Hop
Staff
AG
Method Man said:

It annoys me but not much. Didn't seem to be that big of a focal point. Skipping a practice because of it was stupid and annoying though. Gimme a break. You're not good enough to pull that.
Does anybody think Buzz is going to short change himself on practice if he's not forced to? Hell no. Not many people talked about it, but A&M was slapped by the NCAA for conducting off-site practices during the NCAA Covid shutdown period this summer. A&M was penalized by delaying the start of fall practices by a couple of weeks. I'm sure we took care of all the tire changing, social justice talks, and life lessons during this downtime.
Method Man
I'm talking about the one specific practice on game week. Hey, he's building a culture and I think he's a good man and a good coach. I just didn't love the day off. Just my opinion.
B-1 83
AG
College basketball players are now just mercenaries. It needs repeating.
85AustinAg
AG
Quote:

Nothing about our basketball coach or team says "SJW" to me. Working with a small group of males, primarily African American - dont you think you have to be sensitive to the kids outlook, thoughts, beliefs?

I guess you can see and scream SJW looking at darn near anything...
Hop
Staff
AG
85AustinAg said:

Quote:

Nothing about our basketball coach or team says "SJW" to me. Working with a small group of males, primarily African American - dont you think you have to be sensitive to the kids outlook, thoughts, beliefs?

I guess you can see and scream SJW looking at darn near anything...

Yeah, a coach's career and livelihood is gaining the trust of 18-22 year-olds, many who are African American. You'll lose that trust if you aren't sensitive to their concerns and feelings off the court.

It's just a fact of life now, and part of the job that you can't ignore, or then recruits will ignore you...and then you'll be fired because your team sucks. Pretty simple...
Ag_EE_88
AG
I prefer the way that Jimbo has handled the SJW issues. And quite frankly, if we were winning no one would care about how Buzz is handling it but since the team struggled this year, it's another aspect of his coaching that is going to get scrutinized.
Know Your Enemy
AG
How very privileged of anyone whining about people wanting equal treatment despite having a different skin color. It's disappointing and sickening to read that **** on here. How about caring for your fellow man?
Aston04
AG
^You are simplifying it to a complete straw man argument.

In reality, people are concerned (ironically on both sides of the argument) about UNequal treatment. Just depends on one's perspective on things for which side of the argument. And unfortunately seemingly every politician these days loves to mischaracterize the opposing viewpoint, like you have.

But this is not the politics board- so hopefully this is the end of it.

/end rant by a minority in this country
EPAggie96
They need to go after Bryson Williams from UTEP. I saw him play in every single game the last 2 years at UTEP and he is a more skilled version of Emmanuel Miller.
LawHall88
AG
cdiaz1202 said:

They need to go after Bryson Williams from UTEP. I saw him play in every single game the last 2 years at UTEP and he is a more skilled version of Emmanuel Miller.
MarcAg
AG
LawHall88 said:

cdiaz1202 said:

You have one year to play college ball. You can go play for a team that is likely going to play in the NCAA tournament or you can go play for a team that will be picked 13th in the SEC.
LawHall88
AG
MarcAg said:

LawHall88 said:

cdiaz1202 said:

You have one year to play college ball. You can go play for a team that is likely going to play in the NCAA tournament or you can go play for a team that will be picked 13th in the SEC.
The only counter to that is the old "playing time" argument. He'd almost certainly start for us next season given the current roster, unless Smith blows up. Does that mean anything? Maybe not.

Speculation though is he may follow Rodney Terry to Texas.
Aggie1188
Only reason I wouldn't want to play for Buzz is the 5 AM workouts.
2nd Generation Ag
Hop in regards to the NCAA sanctions last spring I am assuming a player or a players parents turned Buzz in. How else would anyone know? Is that accurate?
MarcAg
AG
2nd Generation Ag said:

Hop in regards to the NCAA sanctions last spring I am assuming a player or a players parents turned Buzz in. How else would anyone know? Is that accurate?

I think A&M self reported. They knew they were doing wrong and I'm guessing they figured they would get slapped on the wrist and it would be worth it.
Method Man
I only hated skipping practices. I trust Buzz to handle whatever his players need on a personal level.
wacarnolds
AG
Buzz quote regarding Miller's transfer

"What a great job he did for us I love who he is and love his future and will miss the kid as much as I'll miss the player," Williams said. "He just wanted a clean start, a clean slate somewhere else. I don't think it was necessarily that things went wrong or that he had a bad experience here. We wish him the best."
mazag08
AG
DukeMu said:

sincereag said:

All I can say is Cashius McNeeley really screwed our program over. He should have been on the court this past year helping our team instead of sitting at home in Canada. Now he gets up and leaves and takes our best player with him.
This.
Absolutely. The kid did not nothing but suck resources from our school and program. He didn't contribute a damn thing. And I said from the moment it was announced that he was sitting out that we would likely never see him suit up. He only came because of his family member coaching the team. And more and more it feels like Coach McNeilly knew he wasn't going to be around long and told the kid to just wait it out and hold onto his eligibility.

Absolute snakes who should be booed out of town.
dcaggie04
AG
Miller to TCU.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.