Miller transferring

23,406 Views | 197 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by bobinator
TulaneAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
bobinator said:

I think the question for Miller is how much better can he still get? As he is, yeah, probably not exactly the ideal candidate to build a team around, but he's already come so far, how much more is still in there?

You guys are touching on what Im seeing with Miller. To me his ceiling is a BDavis type guy. On a complete team, he's a max hustle, junkyard dog, pick up 12-14 with putbacks & loose balls & free throws- type of player.
bobinator
AG
I dunno, that jump shot started to show some promise this year and he was getting batter handling the ball. The ceiling could be a lot higher but it's just hard to know without seeing him in practice.

I don't think I've ever seen a player improve as much in two seasons as he did, and that was with the second season being such a weird one with limited contact with teammates and coaches and whatnot. And on a team that was so incredibly limited offensively.

Just don't know. Won't be that surprised if he levels off and basically is who he is now, won't be surprised if he turns into a decent shooter and becomes a really good all around player.
SouthwesternAg
S
Miller is talented and physically gifted. There are a lot of guys equally gifted and talented. What set eman apart, in my opinion, was the confidence and intensity and positive attitude he played with - that can take you a long way. At times I think he simply willed the ball into the basket. We will miss him but it is what it is. I am excited about Coleman and looking forward to seeing him play.
MarcAg
AG
TulaneAg said:

My opinion is that Miller isn't really a great bball player... He was just the best player on this bad and dysfunctional team. He could prove me wrong at TCU. I'm willing to eat a little crow on that take if necessary.

He is very good. The fact he did what he did on a crappy team made it more impressive. Defenses didn't have to worry about guys hitting open threes or anyone else scoring. Teams game planned to stop him.
Serious Lee
always thought miller looked like a poor mans terrance jones (when he was with the rockets). without the 3pt shot, dont know how he improves. think the duke kid works out better in the long run
Mikeyshooter
AG
MarcAg said:

TulaneAg said:

My opinion is that Miller isn't really a great bball player... He was just the best player on this bad and dysfunctional team. He could prove me wrong at TCU. I'm willing to eat a little crow on that take if necessary.

He is very good. The fact he did what he did on a crappy team made it more impressive. Defenses didn't have to worry about guys hitting open threes or anyone else scoring. Teams game planned to stop him.
I disagree here. Every bad team has to have a best player.

He's a good player. But he's a 3rd or 4th guy on a really good team.

bobinator
AG
I mean how good a team we talking? He could be the best player on a tournament team IMO, but he'd probably be lucky to be in the rotation off the bench for last year's Baylor team.

I could see him as an all-conference type player next year if he gets that jumper going a little more.
Mikeyshooter
AG
bobinator said:

I mean how good a team we talking? He could be the best player on a tournament team IMO, but he'd probably be lucky to be in the rotation off the bench for last year's Baylor team.

I could see him as an all-conference type player next year if he gets that jumper going a little more.

Unless you're talking about a mid-major, find me a tournament team from last year where he'd be the best player. I mean, maybe Missouri and maybe Rutgers and that's about it.
bballcoach
I feel he is a decent player ALOT of work to do to be considered a best player. Has to hit that jumper consistently, continue his ball handling skill growth and most of all hold some Dog on body with his size he should be more of a defensive presence, steals block shots deflections, which I saw very little of this past year
bobinator
AG
There's a couple problems here. One is I was talking about if he continues to improve, but also who knows what he'd look like on a team where he had any help at all in the front court.

Another is most of the teams that made the tournament have at least one player of his caliber, so to really be the scenario we're talking about you'd need to remove that player and replace him with Miller.
Goodson
S
Miller is a far better outside shooter than B-Davis ever was.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Miller was on a track to be a Top-20ish player in the SEC his junior year. That is about what Buzz probably lost for next year's roster.

Hop
Staff
AG
Goodson said:

Miller is a far better outside shooter than B-Davis ever was.
And BD was a much better shot blocker and inside presence. His wing span was insane.
mazag08
AG
Miller to me was a poor mans Tyler Davis in a poor mans David Louebaus body.
bobinator
AG
He's more like actual Bryan Davis in actual Ray Turner's body.
mazag08
AG
bobinator said:

He's more like actual Bryan Davis in actual Ray Turner's body.

Bryan Davis wasn't quite as crafty at the same age. And Ray Turner was taller and more athletic.
phorizt
Ray Turner and Bryan Davis? What exactly have y'all been watching? He's probably 6'6" and 205-210 pounds. Can't shoot or block shots. Great effort player who was good at getting to the rim and FT line to score and efforted his way to a lot of rebounds. We hope Coleman can become what Miller was. But Miller was basically a 3 who can't shoot at all so he had to play the 4. Not sure I noticed any improved shooting either. He rarely shot anything but layups and was 0-6 from three this year after going 3-21 last year. I think if Chris Walker and David Loubeau had a child together he would be something like E Miller.
Pumpkinhead
AG
phorizt said:

Ray Turner and Bryan Davis? What exactly have y'all been watching? He's probably 6'6" and 205-210 pounds. Can't shoot or block shots. Great effort player who was good at getting to the rim and FT line to score and efforted his way to a lot of rebounds. We hope Coleman can become what Miller was. But Miller was basically a 3 who can't shoot at all so he had to play the 4. Not sure I noticed any improved shooting either. He rarely shot anything but layups and was 0-6 from three this year after going 3-21 last year. I think if Chris Walker and David Loubeau had a child together he would be something like E Miller.

Are you sure that you are talking about the same Miller from last season, who was starting to show a pretty good mid-range shooting touch. Just layups? He wasn't showing any 3-point ability yet, but your description of Miller's game as a sophomore seems very inaccurate.

Positives:
- good finisher
- good at getting foul calls, getting to FT and making them
- good mid-range shot out to about 15'
- good rebounder

Negatives:
- poor 3-point shooter
- doesn't play for us anymore
greg.w.h
AG
So it's okay that he left??
Hop
Staff
AG
Yeah, Miller's mid-range game was money this season. That along with his ability to get to the free throw line were the two reasons why he improved so much.

His lack of length was a liability on the defensive end. He wasn't a shot blocker or intimidating presence in the paint, but he was the only consistent source of offensive output this season.
bobinator
AG
If you didn't notice improved shooting and think Miller mostly shot layups then you simply didn't watch many of our games this season.
wacarnolds
AG
phorizt said:

Not sure I noticed any improved shooting either.

25% on 2 pt jumpers as FR (52 attempts)
45% on 2 pt jumpers as SO (86 attempts)
phorizt said:

He rarely shot anything but layups and was 0-6 from three this year after going 3-21 last year.

86 close range shots (layups/putbacks/etc)
89 jump shots
wacarnolds
AG
bobinator said:

If you didn't notice improved shooting and think Miller mostly shot layups then you simply didn't watch many of our games this season.

It's wild the things people will jump on here and say. And with conviction too!
bobinator
AG
Never ceases to amaze.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.