We're out of South Dakota

7,876 Views | 86 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by DukeMu
mikesyracuse1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
LawHall88
AG
bobinator
AG
This is gonna be such a ****show
MarcAg
AG
bobinator said:

This is gonna be such a ****show

The whole season is.
Gap
AG
With all the cancellations, if we had remained, we would still have had to go through West Virginia and Memphis to make the finals. Crazy.
Topher17
AG
How far into this are we going to get before it fully crashes? Not even off the ground and it is already a mess.

Only way I see it working out in the end is if the NCAA can come to an agreement to move the tournament back 4-6 weeks to allow for some make up dates. Otherwise I don't see how this season ends in a full tournament.
Gap
AG
With my expectations for the NCAA season set to less than perfection, I go into the season expecting every team to at least miss 2-3 weeks. I'd rather plan for that than aim for only the perfect and come up getting nothing.

The key this year will seem to be not having an outbreak at NCAA tournament time.
bobinator
AG
I'm not sure there's any benefit to moving anything back unless it's way back.

Everyone's just going to have to try and play as many games as they can and leave it up to the committee to sort it out at the end.

Some teams are going to play a lot more games than others.

But where everyone really dropped the ball was moving ahead with so many out-of-state non-conference games.
Topher17
AG
I agree on scheduling. It shouldn't have taken until now for teams to realize travel will be an issue.

The committee is going to have a nightmare on their hands this year. It will be very interesting to see how they evaluate teams.
LawHall88
AG
LawHall88
AG
West Virginia don't care about no virus...
agfan2332
That's going to be a hell of a game
Maroon Dawn
AG
Hop said:

bobinator said:

Well we just signed one of our best classes ever so apparently they do.
I bet this guy is a blast at parties. We just signed a borderline 5-star from DFW and the best point guard in DFW, and he says we can't recruit against these teams?

This class rated almost identical to Texas, and 15-20 spots higher than UH.

But getting blown out by these teams will have no impact on future recruiting?

Again you can't believe that
bobinator
AG
Yes you can. If we were in like year five of Buzz and hadn't shown any improvement it might, but even if we get absolutely blasted we can still sell the "we're not there yet" line.

Short term results don't matter much in any recruiting but they really don't matter in basketball recruiting.

Hop covers this for a living and I used to so I at least have a little bit of an idea of what moves the needle for recruits. We could lose to Tech, Houston, Baylor and Texas by 50 points each this year and it wouldn't matter at all. Now, if we did that a few years in a row we might be in trouble.
LawHall88
AG
And recruiting skills matter. Melvin brought in some good talent his last couple of years even though our teams couldn't dribble and chew gum at the same time.
Hop
Staff
AG
bobinator said:

Yes you can. If we were in like year five of Buzz and hadn't shown any improvement it might, but even if we get absolutely blasted we can still sell the "we're not there yet" line.

Short term results don't matter much in any recruiting but they really don't matter in basketball recruiting.

Hop covers this for a living and I used to so I at least have a little bit of an idea of what moves the needle for recruits. We could lose to Tech, Houston, Baylor and Texas by 50 points each this year and it wouldn't matter at all. Now, if we did that a few years in a row we might be in trouble.
And who knows, A&M may not get blown out by 50 points. This team is more talented on paper than last year's team projected at one point to go 0-18 in SEC play. The team will get a lot more development-wise from playing UH, Bay, etc. than UNO and Tarleton St....or must I say in addition to.
bobinator
AG
Yeah that's kind of my point, there's no downside and who knows, maybe you win or at least compete.
DukeMu
greg.w.h said:

BQ_90 said:

PJYoung said:

I've almost had enough of 2020.
This won't be over in 2021
Will be if vaccines work and the conferred immunity lasts long enough to establish even short-term herd immunity. Might have to be be an annual booster will be needed to deal with new mutated strains similar to flu but with the purpose of refreshing herd immunity.
Yep. Vaccines + masks should end the pandemic by the end of 2021.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.