We're out of South Dakota

7,891 Views | 86 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by DukeMu
jja79
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Per the SD Department of Health today 33.4% of hospital beds are empty.
TXAggie2011
AG
Quote:

The lack of Covid and the dispersed population is why they moved it there in the first place.
I think they moved it to South Dakota because the governor there was, is, and will continue to be a hardliner against Covid related restrictions.
BQ_90
AG
this is more about the risk of shutting down program from contract tracing.

Same reason why they won't bring in state teams to play.

one positive test shuts the entire program down for 2 weeks.

This is all about preserving the conference season as much as they can.
JJxvi
AG
Why is riding in a bus viewed as any safer than a flight? You're gonna be sitting next to someone for more than 15 minutes in a bus also.
Hop
Staff
AG
MarcAg said:

This tournament was made public 2 months ago, not 8 months ago. Are you saying this was put together 8 months ago and didn't go public for 6 months?
No, bobinator said that school officials knew about this eight months ago and didn't plan properly. I was being facetious. Yeah, they had eight months to plan, and the alternate plan was to play in South Dakota when Covid wasn't as issue there and the population is sparse. But you can't foresee the specifics of when and where the virus will flare up months in advance, and certainly not when they planned the South Dakota tourney.
TXAggie2011
AG
We've been told since the beginning that it was quite possible the winter would be a **** show. And Bobinator has been saying for months not to try to make this tournament happen, but play more locally. So, I can see why he's doing a little bit of a "told you so" right now.
JJxvi
AG
Yeah well, nobody wants to live in a world where bobinator can say I told you so...
Gap
AG
Let me see if I have this right:

Topic introduced. Member perpetuates conversation.

Assertion from the conversation questioned which would need a thoughtful response.

Member not prepared to respond so they initiated personal attack instead of discussing.

Sympathetic white night to the rescue to protect member with friendly viewpoint.

MarcAg
AG
Hop said:

MarcAg said:

This tournament was made public 2 months ago, not 8 months ago. Are you saying this was put together 8 months ago and didn't go public for 6 months?
No, bobinator said that school officials knew about this eight months ago and didn't plan properly. I was being facetious. Yeah, they had eight months to plan, and the alternate plan was to play in South Dakota when Covid wasn't as issue there and the population is sparse. But you can't foresee the specifics of when and where the virus will flare up months in advance, and certainly not when they planned the South Dakota tourney.
Gotcha. Im following now.
BQ_90
AG
well if you believe the numbers, Texas is raging with Covid, so not sure how it would be better to be playing in state.
bobinator
AG
I wasn't just talking about us, that's why I said "college basketball."

The health experts have been saying all along that it would get worse as winter approaches, so it seems pretty obvious that everyone should have been planning on playing as many games as close to home as possible where you don't have to stay overnight.
JJxvi
AG
I'm sure, like everywhere else, half of the decision makers in "college basketball" think the other half are crazy communist libtards, while the other half thinks the rest are ignorant conspiracy fueled yokels. So, likelihood of pulling everybody together and all pull in the same direction? Low
bobinator
AG
Absolutely no doubt. Still kind of disappointing to see.

I'll be intrigued to see if Baylor gets all their games in.
Gap
AG
Proposition Joe said:

Don't be so triggered.

From a doctor on the Premium forum:

Quote:

I am in Iowa, right next door, and I can tell you all of our hospitals are full. I board COVID positive patients in my ER every night because there are no beds. Every ICU in the state is full, and we are having to transfer people to Minnesota and Wisconsin, who will probably be running out of beds soon, too. People have been dying in front of me. It's no joke, and our rural states simply don't have the healthcare infrastructure to deal with it.
Now, I know what a reasonable person would say... But I can't say for certain what a person with 10,000 posts on the Politics forum that believed this was a nothingburger errrr that this will be gone on November 3 errr [insert whatever the new talking point being shoveled to conspiracy theorists is now] would say.
Kind of cool. I've been here 21 years and averaged 1.2 posts per day on the Politics board. Next up for me, 0.8 posts per day on Liucci's Board, and 0.6 posts per day on the Basketball board.

FYI - You have averaged posting 34% more each day on the covid board since its inception here than I have on the Politics board in my tenure. And that covid board activity of yours is just 9.1% of your overall posting activity. You really are a busy beaver here. Congrats.

Proposition Joe
I look forward to your midnight update!
rrtodds
AG
It's scary to think that Texas being a "blue" state is a good thing ... well at least a good thing on the COVID map.
Artimus Gordon
Forget about basketball until Jan 2021. Just try and get the conference schedule in. That should be all there is to the season, if we can get that in?
PJYoung
AG
Gap
AG
I doubt it happens, but I wonder if that creates an opportunity for us to add Creighton sometime in December as an opponent since we will both have less than full schedules.
PJYoung
AG
There are gonna be tons of teams that have open schedules in December.

DePaul cancelled/post-poned their first 3 games today.
Proposition Joe
Teams with open dates in December are going to be filling them with local teams if possible. Makes little sense for teams to be flying out-of-state for non-conference games both from a $$$ standpoint as well as an infection standpoint.

Just like with college football, the #1 priority is protecting conference play.
Gap
AG
Proposition Joe said:

Teams with open dates in December are going to be filling them with local teams if possible. Makes little sense for teams to be flying out-of-state for non-conference games both from a $$$ standpoint as well as an infection standpoint.

Since covid can't be passed within a state that makes perfect sense.

I just hope we don't get covid from UNO in our opener since they are coming from covid ravaged New Orleans.
Gap
AG
All kidding aside, I agree with you on creating a schedule with less travel this season for financial reasons. Hopefully, we are flexible and stay in touch with the nearby schools for opportunities that might arise.
bobinator
AG
Yeah, even if you don't think exposure to COVID is a good reason to limit travel you'd think every athletic department would be trying to save money wherever possible. There are like 25 D1 teams in Texas.
Proposition Joe
Gap said:

Proposition Joe said:

I just hope we don't get covid from UNO in our opener since they are coming from covid ravaged New Orleans.

No one ever said covid can't be passed within a state.

To most people it's a fairly simple concept that driving a short distance to a local destination has a lesser chance of potential spread throughout the team than flying. It's a very simple risk-reward analysis, especially considering we're talking cupcake non-conference opponents.

You are the prototype "I don't want to turn this topic political, but..." poster.
Proposition Joe
bobinator said:

Yeah, even if you don't think exposure to COVID is a good reason to limit travel you'd think every athletic department would be trying to save money wherever possible. There are like 25 D1 teams in Texas.

RIP Hop's Bahamas plans.
LawHall88
AG
Proposition Joe said:

Gap said:

Proposition Joe said:

No one ever said covid can't be passed within a state.

To most people it's a fairly simple concept that driving a short distance to a local destination has a lesser chance of potential spread throughout the team than flying. It's a very simple risk-reward analysis, especially considering we're talking cupcake non-conference opponents.

You are the prototype "I don't want to turn this topic political, but..." poster.
Yeah, I think the premise is the players virtually go straight from the bus to the court, play the game, back on the bus and home. As little contact with anyone outside the team except for playing the game itself. No airports or hotels.
monarch
S
There are only three teams left to play the tournament so it's probably going to get cancelled out anwsy
Peace for Ukraine!
expresswrittenconsent
monarch said:

There are only three teams left to play the tournament so it's probably going to get cancelled out anwsy

Stay golden, ponyboy.
Maroon Dawn
AG
MarcAg said:

We probably should have bailed on the tournament 2 months ago when others started bailing and at that time reached out to Houston, Baylor and Texas. Those are games that don't require flights, don't require hotel stays and are against good competition. It just makes too much sense on all fronts.

Starting the season with 3 embarrassing losses to our biggest recruiting competitors doesn't seem like the best way to start the season.

I know you want to believe but we're just not there yet and don't have the talent to beat any other power conference team in Texas besides TCU
bobinator
AG
Texas and Houston would be favored but it wouldn't be THAT crazy if we beat any of them. Baylor is a different story but even if we lost to all of them by 50 points each it wouldn't impact our recruiting at all.

I'd much rather lose to good teams than watch us play a bunch of crap teams.
Maroon Dawn
AG
bobinator said:

Texas and Houston would be favored but it wouldn't be THAT crazy if we beat any of them. Baylor is a different story but even if we lost to all of them by 50 points each it wouldn't impact our recruiting at all.

I'd much rather lose to good teams than watch us play a bunch of crap teams.

Wouldn't impact our recruiting? You can't be serious

Nobody worth their stars wants to play for the 6th best team in Texas
bobinator
AG
Well we just signed one of our best classes ever so apparently they do.
greg.w.h
AG
Given the propensity of post-season selection committees to pair us with Big 12 teams in all sports, I look forward to seeing how we do against them then...assuming the NCAA doesn't go bankrupt by not having the Div 1 NC Tournament. Not to say it's a guarantee for us, of course.
Hop
Staff
AG
bobinator said:

Well we just signed one of our best classes ever so apparently they do.
I bet this guy is a blast at parties. We just signed a borderline 5-star from DFW and the best point guard in DFW, and he says we can't recruit against these teams?

This class rated almost identical to Texas, and 15-20 spots higher than UH.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.