We're out of South Dakota

7,820 Views | 86 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by DukeMu
LawHall88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Morpholino
AG
That sucks. Was looking forward to playing some of those teams.
wacarnolds
AG
Morpholino said:

That sucks. Was looking forward to playing some of those teams.

Agree it sucks. Everything sucks right now, hopefully the AD chooses as safe a path as possible for players, coaches, support staff and fans to get through this season.
PJYoung
AG
I've almost had enough of 2020.
BQ_90
AG
PJYoung said:

This won't be over in 2021
MarcAg
AG
Our non-conference schedule is absolutely horrible without that tournament. But I think the season gets wiped at some point in early 2021 anyway.
bobinator
AG
At this point it seems pointless to even worry about the NCAAs or anything. Just have to try and enjoy whatever games we get.
CactusThomas
agfan2332
To me, if you are going to back out of this tournament, you should have done it with a little more than a week's notice for not only the other teams but the tournament as well to try and find a replacement. It's bad optics, especially when you don't have any cases in the program.
MarcAg
AG
We probably should have bailed on the tournament 2 months ago when others started bailing and at that time reached out to Houston, Baylor and Texas. Those are games that don't require flights, don't require hotel stays and are against good competition. It just makes too much sense on all fronts.
MarcAg
AG
agfan2332 said:

To me, if you are going to back out of this tournament, you should have done it with a little more than a week's notice for not only the other teams but the tournament as well to try and find a replacement. It's bad optics, especially when you don't have any cases in the program.
I think it's more about not putting our players in a situation where they are going to be exposed and losing (meaning cancelling) more games a result that the current health of our team. South Dakota has the nation's highest positivity rate. But SD didn't just get bad. And we don't know the team had not already been in contact with the tournament prior to this and it i just not being made public.
greg.w.h
AG
BQ_90 said:

PJYoung said:

This won't be over in 2021
Will be if vaccines work and the conferred immunity lasts long enough to establish even short-term herd immunity. Might have to be be an annual booster will be needed to deal with new mutated strains similar to flu but with the purpose of refreshing herd immunity.
wacarnolds
AG
agfan2332 said:

Earlier is always better, but South Dakota has turned into one of the worst COVID hot spots in the nation. I understand the late hesitancy to travel to a place like that, especially when the reason the tournament ended up in that location was because they were supposed to the experts in keeping it under control.
agfan2332
Well I can tell you this from the other side that as of last night WVU thought they were playing A&M.

And you are correct that SD didn't just get bad over night. Health and safety for the players is always going to be the key to this season for everyone but I think if you were going to step out and it's being reported that there aren't cases on the team or staff that a week before you play just doesn't look great. Just my opinion.

Aggie09Derek
AG
Round robbin with UT and UH should have happened.

Insane we aren't playing local teams at home sites this year.
SECTAMU#1
This is not surprising. Coach did not want to run the risk of quarantining players for 14 days.
Topher17
AG
As others have said, probably too late at this point, but across the country schools should have scrapped plans months ago and scheduled as many bus trip games as possible. We could fill a nice non-conference with only programs within the state of Texas or barely into Louisiana. Games against SFA, UH, etc would have been fun and helped safely fill a schedule.

I don't think any of it will matter though. I have a very hard time seeing a full CBB season getting completed this year unless they move the tournament back and start building in makeup dates now, which they clearly have failed to do.
bobinator
AG
Been saying the schedule should be a local bus tour for months. College basketball had like eight months to get ready for this and seems like everyone is making last minute decisions. Pretty ridiculous.
agsalaska
AG
bobinator said:

Been saying the schedule should be a local bus tour for months. College basketball had like eight months to get ready for this and seems like everyone is making last minute decisions. Pretty ridiculous.
Without a doubt.

Why are all of the Texas teams not just playing each other in some kind of 10 game round robin. Nothing official. But there is no reason for any teams in Texas not to be riding in a bus to non conference games.
Pumpkinhead
AG
If a team gets knocked out for 2-weeks because of positive tests and contact tracing like the Aggie football team just did, that could be missing 5-6 conference games.

At least the rosters are a lot smaller then football but cross your fingers how this goes.
Aggie09Derek
AG
bobinator said:

Mikeyshooter
AG
Pumpkinhead said:

If a team gets knocked out for 2-weeks because of positive tests and contact tracing like the Aggie football team just did, that could be missing 5-6 conference games.

At least the rosters are a lot smaller then football but cross your fingers how this goes.

Yeah. There's going to be a tournament. But selecting the field and seeding are going to be impossible this year.
Expert Analysis
AG
Topher17
AG
bobinator said:

It is pretty remarkable that after being the first thing cancelled, and therefore having more time to plan for a new season than any other sport, CBB folks still appear to have almost no plan other than what football went with. Which is pretty much "We don't have a plan, let's just pray nothing goes wrong, and when it goes wrong we'll scramble." Ridiculous indeed.
Third Son
AG
Terrible job by Bjork and Biden. South Dakota? C'mon man! Everyone's going to get it. Time for everyone to get on with life.
Rongagin71
AG
I have a hard time believing that So Dakota is such a bad spot for Covid, but I do believe they probably have a high rate of individuals TESTED there. Just guessing.
Proposition Joe
Rongagin71 said:

I have a hard time believing that So Dakota is such a bad spot for Covid, but I do believe they probably have a high rate of individuals TESTED there. Just guessing.

There's been multiple posts by doctors in the area saying their hospitals are getting full.
Gap
AG
Dont hospitals want to be full? Isn't that why hospitals were often full before covid?
Proposition Joe
Good grief, can you two take your tinfoil hats back to F16?
Gap
AG
Proposition Joe said:

Good grief, can you two take your tinfoil hats back to F16?

I asked you a question as a follow up related to your comment and you attacked the questioner and fled to your safe space. Poor form when you can't and won't explain your points or admit your mistake on what is a discussion board.

You have the opportunity to join adults in conversation here. I guess there are 3 options here and I don't know which is accurate in this case: you either made a bad point, don't have the information to explain the nuance in your comments, or won't put in the effort to explain your points and comments.

I guess we await your white knight to come here and clean up your argument who has the knowledge to do so.
Proposition Joe
Don't be so triggered.

From a doctor on the Premium forum:

Quote:

I am in Iowa, right next door, and I can tell you all of our hospitals are full. I board COVID positive patients in my ER every night because there are no beds. Every ICU in the state is full, and we are having to transfer people to Minnesota and Wisconsin, who will probably be running out of beds soon, too. People have been dying in front of me. It's no joke, and our rural states simply don't have the healthcare infrastructure to deal with it.

Now, we can either believe there is a big mainstream media conspiracy, that someone is just "out to get" South Dakota, that this Aggie doctor is lying and part of the conspiracy, and that the A&M higher ups that make these decisions are all just rubes

or

maybe things aren't great in South Dakota right now and the risk of having a breakout on the team to start the season isn't worth the reward of getting in a couple of games in the Lawnmower Classic.

Now, I know what a reasonable person would say... But I can't say for certain what a person with 10,000 posts on the Politics forum that believed this was a nothingburger errrr that this will be gone on November 3 errr [insert whatever the new talking point being shoveled to conspiracy theorists is now] would say.
TXAggie2011
AG
This isn't the place to talk about the economics of hospitals. (And that's a favorable characterization of what you're wanting to talk about, I think). Period.
agtrevino07
AG
I think is as simple as the athletic department stated. The risk of going to SD right now is not worth it. The SD health department Covid data suggests things are not going well in that state (e.g. high ICU beds related to covid etc you can read HERE).

As others have stated, it is a shame our athletic department was not proactive enough scheduling some in-state games against local rivals (e.g. Baylor, Rice, UH, Texas, TT, SFA etc).
Hop
Staff
AG
bobinator said:

Nobody predicted that Covid would flare up in South Dakota eight months ago. The lack of Covid and the dispersed population is why they moved it there in the first place. Maybe you can tell me what the positivity rate and hospital capacity utilization rate will be in Provo, Utah eights months from now.

If universities had made these decisions eight months ago and there were few virus issues, people would complain that they jumped the gun and were premature in their actions. Either way, people on message boards will complain about something.
MarcAg
AG
This tournament was made public 2 months ago, not 8 months ago. Are you saying this was put together 8 months ago and didn't go public for 6 months?
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.