New proposed start date for season: Nov. 25

5,218 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BQ_90
wacarnolds
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yeah I don't think it will work as smoothly as football (which has had plenty of hiccups of its own). One advantage it has over CFB is that single games don't matter as much in the grand scheme of things, so they can more easily deal with games getting delayed and eventually canceled.
wacarnolds
AG
Indy rises as a white knight

wacarnolds
AG
As does Houston

FYI, this is the same group that organized the now-canceled Boise game (with UT also playing as part of a double header). I wonder if you combine that with our proximity to Houston and the recent ruling that teams can participate in multiple tournaments, and we end up playing at the Toyota Center after all.

Edit: just noticed this is an old tweet. Someone on the timeline referenced it with new information, then deleted the tweet, so not sure if this is still a possibility

TXAggie2011
AG
I feel like if that went anywhere, we'd have heard more about it? The promoter's Twitter seems to be him re-tweeting people essentially saying "college basketball should have listened" which sounds to me like it went nowhere.

But, I'd just say that sounds really expensive to pull off, and even more expensive if they don't want the players to be downright miserable. I suppose, if there's no NBA or NHL on TV in December, you have more potential to pull in TV revenue.
wacarnolds
AG
I agree that it seems like it didn't go anywhere at first, but there is still a bunch of scrambling to find hosts for these tournaments. Heck, some football games were being scheduled the week of, during September so I could see something getting thrown together foe toyota center at the last minute
DTP02
AG
MarcAg said:

College basketball has potential to be a disaster this year. Playing inside, a lot more likely to contract the virus from opponents as you are constantly face to face and easy to wipe out a team in basketball with smaller numbers. See a lot more cancellations in basketball than in football.

Might be somewhat offset by increased immunity expected among players. If you were being super-cautious with your basketball players all summer until now, you were doing it wrong.
Artimus Gordon
So true!
Hard to get excited about something that you don't know is going to be there or not. Looks like college basketball season is on the ropes!'
Deputy Travis Junior
Totally agree. The much higher relative importance of each player compared to football is going to make this season a total **** show. If 3-4 players get it the whole team is out of commission for weeks.

The silver lining is that each team will only need to go through 1-2 breakouts before it's basically immune to covid for the rest of the season due to antibodies.
wacarnolds
AG
Deputy Travis Junior said:

The silver lining is that each team will only need to go through 1-2 breakouts before it's basically immune to covid for the rest of the season due to antibodies.

I'm curious what effect a previous infection has on how individual players are treated by the conference. History says there should be some short term immunity, at a minimum, but does that exempt players from the 2 week quarantine for subsequent close contact with a confirmed positive?

Such a weird year having to discuss these things.
greg.w.h
AG
wacarnolds said:

I'm curious what effect a previous infection has on how individual players are treated by the conference. History says there should be some short term immunity, at a minimum, but does that exempt players from the 2 week quarantine for subsequent close contact with a confirmed positive?

Such a weird year having to discuss these things.
Very interesting question. Also antibodies become less common further from when infected but some question about T-cell memory specific to coronaviruses in general and potentially this one in specific.

Since the science is lagging behind the vaccine and therapies we might never know.
BQ_90
AG

Totally agree. The much higher relative importance of each player compared to football is going to make this season a total **** show. If 3-4 players get it the whole team is out of commission for weeks.

With contact tracing, one player positive will shut program down for 2 weeks. If somebody else test positive later on, you'll have another 2 week shut down.

At this point it'll be a miracle to get the season in.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.