New proposed start date for season: Nov. 25

5,154 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BQ_90
wacarnolds
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Moving back from November 10. Same date the Battle 4 Atlantis tournament is supposed to start. 2k Classic starts 11/19, Maui Tourney starts 11/23, those are the two biggest preseason tournaments that would be affected (assuming non-conference games are attempted to be played)

Quote:

The next issue to tackle, according to two sources, is the topic of game minimums and game maximums allowable for the 2020-21 season. It's a thorny subject because it's yet to be determined if the college basketball season will begin with every conference going to in-league play only, or if the sport will start as usual with nonconference matchups making up the spread of the schedule. The timeline on those decisions remains unclear, but sources previously told CBS Sports that September into early October will go a long way to dictating under what circumstances and template college basketball's 2020-21 season could begin.

bobinator
AG
I'm interested in how they're going to handle this season. One idea some buddies and I were tossing around is like a series of bubbles.

Like you could bring A&M, LSU and Arkansas and Texas, Baylor and Texas Tech to one location for a weekend bubble. Everyone is tested before they arrive, and then over like four days each team plays three games.
MarcAg
AG
I figured all these tournaments would be cancelled. I noticed the other day the Atlantis website took down the ability to book tickets and now says; "Please check back regularly for updates regarding Battle 4 Atlantis." You can't see anything about the teams or anything. I'm thinking it probably already got cancelled and just hasn't been made official. But that's complete speculation on my part.
wacarnolds
AG
bobinator said:

I'm interested in how they're going to handle this season.

1. Lock players away for fall semester
2. Kick students off campus 11/24 (if not sooner to save football)
3. Start season 11/25
4. Pray for widely-administered vaccine by middle of Jan 2021
5. Bring back students end of January
Proposition Joe
Zero chance the island tournaments get played on the islands (possibility they get shifted to stateside locales, but that's doubtful).

The amount of planning and money required for a school to sends teams to these tournaments is significant, so you aren't going to see them go deep into September and October with something like that still potentially on their schedule.

If I had to guess I'd say we're looking at conference only, with the possibility of a few local, easily scheduled non-conference games getting played in December.
wacarnolds
AG
Proposition Joe said:

Zero chance the island tournaments get played on the islands

It may not even be the schools'/NCAA's choice

Proposition Joe
Yeah. Once football started talking about revised dates that put the kibosh on big travel tourneys IMO.
TXAggie2011
AG
bobinator said:

I'm interested in how they're going to handle this season. One idea some buddies and I were tossing around is like a series of bubbles.

Like you could bring A&M, LSU and Arkansas and Texas, Baylor and Texas Tech to one location for a weekend bubble. Everyone is tested before they arrive, and then over like four days each team plays three games.
If they can have enough confidence that they'd actually be able to do it, I bet the Texas schools could pull off some type of high school style everyone drives in on the bus the morning of Thursday and plays through Saturday/Sunday tournament.

It wouldn't be easy, but I imagine they could figure it out. They'll need enough early buy-in and certainty to put the serious effort needed to make it happen. View it as a model for all sports to use and it seems more worthwhile.
bobinator
AG
See I wouldn't even do it as a tournament, I'd just do it as a showcase with a set series of games, that way you could have multiple teams from the same conference there.
wacarnolds
AG
bobinator said:

See I wouldn't even do it as a tournament, I'd just do it as a showcase with a set series of games, that way you could have multiple teams from the same conference there.

Like the Minute Maid Classic for college baseball
greg.w.h
AG
Probably need a week and at least 3-4 tests for a bubble to work. The faster the test the more tests you need to confirm it and not the same day.
wacarnolds
AG
greg.w.h said:

Probably need a week and at least 3-4 tests for a bubble to work. The faster the test the more tests you need to confirm it and not the same day.

You have over 7000 posts on this website and everyone is gibberish. Learn to communicate whatever you're trying to say more clearly or find another hobby
greg.w.h
AG
wacarnolds said:

greg.w.h said:

You have over 7000 posts on this website and everyone is gibberish. Learn to communicate whatever you're trying to say more clearly or find another hobby
No.
expresswrittenconsent
There you go, Skippy, more posts just like that!
bobinator
AG
Still think it's some kind of AI experiment that staff is running.
DukeMu
bobinator said:

I think modules are a really good idea. But the end of the season, each team would have home, road, and neutral site splits.

Have the ballers just take online classes.
Belton Ag
AG
Quote:

Have the ballers just take online classes.
There really needs to be some sort of data to support that kind of move.
wacarnolds
AG

"No fans are currently expected to be in attendance for any of the events, according to a source.

Additional games may also be added at a later date in an effort to give the programs in Orlando opportunities to expand their respective non-conference inventory.

Official dates and times will not be determined until the NCAA officially announces a start date for the 20-21 college basketball season on Wednesday."

Champions Classic: Kentucky/Kansas, Duke/Michigan State

Jimmy V Classic: Baylor/Rutgers, Gonzaga/Tennessee

Preseason NIT: Arizona, Cincinnati, Texas Tech St. John's (matchups have yet to be determined)

Orlando Invitational: Michigan State, Gonzaga, Auburn, Xavier, Saint Louis, Boise State, Belmont, Siena (matchups have yet to be determined)

Myrtle Beach Invitational: Pitt, Nebraska, Missouri, Dayton, Loyola-Chicago, Utah State, Furman, Charlotte (matchups have yet to be determined)

Charleston Classic: Florida State, Seton Hall, Oklahoma State, Houston, Penn State, Tennessee, VCU, Charleston (matchups have yet to be determined)

Wooden Legacy: Kansas, Virginia, UCLA, Georgetown (matchups have yet to be determined)

Diamond Head Classic: Arizona State, Oklahoma, San Diego State, Saint Mary's, Hawaii, Temple, Seattle, North Texas (matchups have yet to be determined)
wacarnolds
AG
Nov 25 is the official start date for the season, and the Battle 4 South Dakota tournament will start that date as well

Champions Classic and Legends Classic also start that day
wacarnolds
AG
That Wednesday-Friday slate of games

MarcAg
AG
Now we just need a bracket.
MarcAg
AG
wacarnolds said:

Nov 25 is the official start date for the season, and the Battle 4 South Dakota tournament will start that date as well

Champions Classic and Legends Classic also start that day
That tweet by Andy does not say when Battle 4 Atlantis will be.
wacarnolds
AG
"5. Bahamas"
MarcAg
AG
wacarnolds said:

"5. Bahamas"

His tweet says with the season starting on the 25th those 16 events will have new dates as a result.
wacarnolds
AG
I see what you're saying. The tweet seemed to say those tourneys start that day, but it more likely means those tournaments will have to find a new start date based on the season moving back.
MarcAg
AG
It was poorly written
wacarnolds
AG
Yeah and the B4SD tournament doesn't necessarily need a new start, can remain on 11/25 as originally scheduled if that is how those teams agree to open their season.

Another tweet from Katz said that each conference still needs to decide if they will participate in non-conferene tournaments. The NCAA said yesterday you only have to play 13 games to qualify for the postseason so theoretically some conferences could still to in-league games only like they are doing for football.

As far as A&M is concerned, I would presume we will be be participating in non-conference games (the Tourney and our P5-type match ups at a minimum) unless the SEC says no. And maybe drop a couple of the cash games that were originally gojng to take place in Nov/Dec
MarcAg
AG

I would be ok with this bracket if thats how it turned out. Tough first game, but no matter who you play its going to be tough as we will not be thought of going into this as one of the better teams.
bobinator
AG
Yeah, the good thing about this tournament is there's no way to get a truly bad loss like we had last year with Fairfield.

If anything this field is maybe too good. Memphis is the only team that I'd maybe put in that solid-but-beatable tier that would be good for us in non-conference, Wichita State maybe.

Four of the teams will probably be 4 seeds or better.
MarcAg
AG
If we get Duke in first round I am ok with that. Good game on the resume and good test to see where we are early. Plus Duke will probably be better later in the year than early so chance to get a win against a team that will probably be a top 10 team at end of year but might not be playing like it first month of season
bobinator
AG
If I got to make the bracket myself I'd put us on the opposite side of Creighton. That's really the only team I'd prefer not to play.
EliteZags
AG
with everyone in Orlando why no just throw a preseason NCAA Tourney (ala Preseason NIT) to make up for last season?
bobinator
AG
Kind of a combo of how the World Cup and an AAU tournament work?

Pool play, then separate brackets?
wacarnolds
AG
ESPN abandoning their effort to move a bunch of tournaments to Orlando. Fortunately our tournament won't be affected, but a lot of other teams got a last minute curveball thrown at them. Strict COVID protocols that individual schools didn't want to agree to (and presumably the poor trends across the nation) are blamed for ESPN walking away

MarcAg
AG
College basketball has potential to be a disaster this year. Playing inside, a lot more likely to contract the virus from opponents as you are constantly face to face and easy to wipe out a team in basketball with smaller numbers. See a lot more cancellations in basketball than in football.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.