UTSA 27, Gonzaga 28 Halftime

4,964 Views | 48 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by wacarnolds
JMJLAW
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I agree generally with the idea that installing new players and a new coach is somewhat of a process. But so far- it's been a lot worse than I expected.

I/we suffered watching BKs no defensive adjustments, stubborn fixation on zone, wide open shots/3s epidemic, and overall lack of defensive intensity.

Now with Buzz- I'm banging my head again seeing the same pan out and didn't expect it whatsoever.

DEFENSE: Not good. Why against Gonzaga did we not ever utilize man defense when we were leaving Gilder et al wide open for 3s? Never any adjustment.

ENERGY: Very good. I appreciate his energy and there is more energy to this team. And I appreciate how we subs our players when they aren't performing.

OFFENSE: Not good. I also have yet understood how our offense generates open looks. Not enough movement, back cuts, ball screens/pick and rolls from what I could tell. As others have complained, why is it that we switch coaches and our offense is just pass the ball haplessly around a permiter 5 feet outside of three, shot clock winds down, and somebody forces a drive and shot? The commentators had no idea who could score on the team but I disagree. We have scorers. Mitchell and Flagg are are quite good. But let's face it- when the entire Zag team sees the shot clock winding down and knows 1 guy and only 1 guy has to force up a shot- double teams and defensive focus turns to only that player. It means that our guy with the ball is pretty hopeless no matter our skill set. Gonzaga had guys with wide open looks/drives due to fantastic cuts and pick and rolls. If you inventoried all of the shots we took (where the defensive players in relation to the player with the ball)- we almost always had contested shots. They had far fewer contested or heavily contested shots. That's NOT a talent issue- that's coaches putting players where they need to be on the court.

We have too much athleticism for this team to look completely stifled (because most of our guys stood around) against a Zag team that didn't seem any more athletic than ours.

RECRUITING: Lights out great for where we could be.

Hoping Buzz puts it all together. We'll see.
bobinator
AG
I just don't really know what people expect on offense. Buzz was trying to run things through Flagg at the high post but Flagg was AWFUL against Gonzaga, so we tried some other stuff which also didn't work.

Mitchell can score when his three is falling because when he's a threat from outside it opens up more stuff but his threes aren't falling at the moment and he's turning the ball over too much.

But we're INSANELY easy to defend at the moment, especially if you're as tall as Gonzaga and now that we don't have Starks OR Gordon. We have no shooters, we can't handle the ball well, we can't score on the low block...

No amount of screening and picking is going to help that because teams can either play zone or just switch everyone and there's really not much we can do about it at the moment.
Aston04
AG
bobinator said:

I dunno, I actually think at this point in the season we'd be significantly better if BK was coach, but that's the whole reason he was fired. We weren't building for sustained success.
Probably- because BK likely would have brought in some rent-a-players (plus good chance Gilder would have stuck around).

But yes, not a formula for long term success.. .
Proposition Joe
Yeah I think the letdown has been Buzz not being able to secure at least one legit transfer (or getting Gilder to stay) just to tide us over.
Maroon Dawn
AG
bobinator said:

A lost cause rebuilding year? We've played FOUR GAMES.

I'm not saying we won't get better

But when you essentially have to start completely over and start with basic fundamentals because you can barely beat Southland teams and are getting absolutely embarrassed by Top 20 teams and run out of your own gym like some D2 team then yes, the year is lost to rebuilding

We're probably not going to any real post season (NIT possible but a LOT of improvement would have to happen really quick)

So yeah

Sucks but Buzz needs time to clean up Kennedy's mess
bobinator
AG
I guess I just mostly take issue with the 'lost cause' phrasing. Seeing this team get better (hopefully) over the course of the year should be worth showing up for and I expect us to give teams all they can handle later in the year.

When I think of 'lost cause' I usually think of a team that you don't even want to go to the games.

Maroon Dawn
AG
Wellllll

Attendance has stunk and it just wont be great this year especially after the Gonzaga fiasco and our terrible offense (nothing drives away attendance like a slow, bad O). The students and community are all so battered from years of awful Billy Ball that it's gonna take awhile for Buzz to win them back

But again ,it will eventually all get better

Maybe by the end of this year but hopefully by next at the latest

bobinator
AG
I meant 'you' like the 'royal you.' Obviously I don't expect our attendance to be great or anything.

There were multiple years under Kennedy where going to games just felt like a grind, it wasn't even enjoyable. I live here in town and it'd be like 'eh....'

But the games this year are fun. The team is busting their ass. We just aren't very good. I don't expect there to be tons of people, but if you're into college basketball and live here in town this team is worth showing up for. I think that's why I kind of jumped at the 'lost cause' phrasing.
greg.w.h
AG
Go for the basketball not the presumptions...
GrayMatter
AG
As far as I'm concerned this season is only going to be exciting for basketball purists who are curious to see Buzz in action, but for everyone else it's not going to be much fun.

This program is rebuilding and this season is not for the faint of heart.
JMJLAW
AG
The only purists we've had were BCG and Turge. And they never had a rebuilding.

The zone defense is more of a moneyball gimmick to me. I know Syracuse ran a zone forever as do some other schools. I just find it hard to watch if your players aren't high IQ players- knowing where and how to rotate effectively.

In 4 games I haven't seen a b-ball purist from Buzz yet.
bobinator
AG
JMJLAW said:

The only purists we've had were BCG and Turge. And they never had a rebuilding.

The zone defense is more of a moneyball gimmick to me. I know Syracuse ran a zone forever as do some other schools. I just find it hard to watch if your players aren't high IQ players- knowing where and how to rotate effectively.

In 4 games I haven't seen a b-ball purist from Buzz yet.
What?
HotardRat
AG
"Purists" = the old way of doing things that's inefficient and only even possible with talent on the roster?
JJxvi
AG
Purists:Coaches::Elitists:Forum 7 Posters
wacarnolds
AG
JMJLAW said:

Mitchell and Flagg are are quite good.

The guys that can't dribble down the court or make a shot?
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.