*** Recruiting Related To 2019-2020 Roster ***

48,986 Views | 226 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by DukeMu
phorizt
How long do you want to ignore this user?
There's a better PG in play if we want a PG. 2020 kid from NC who may reclassify. VT has been leading for him.
suburban cowboy
AG
PatAg said:

So are any of these guys good?

I think of the 4 we got 2.5 players. Guys that develop in a system and maybe contribute in years 3-4.

I'll give Buzz a pass this year given the circumstances but there better be at least 1 or 2 big fish in next year's class. That's reality.
_lefraud_
AG
suburban cowboy said:

PatAg said:

I think of the 4 we got 2.5 players. Guys that develop in a system and maybe contribute in years 3-4.

I'll give Buzz a pass this year given the circumstances but there better be at least 1 or 2 big fish in next year's class. That's reality.

Or what, we gonna bring back BK?
Aston04
AG
suburban cowboy said:

PatAg said:

it was a class inked in April and it's not even over. Buzz killed it. Give him a pass???? Hahaha naw.. Did good work. And let's see what else happens.
Method Man
Give him a pass everyone!
Method Man
Don't boycott concessions until the next class is inked!
Double Diamond
Hate to break it to you. Buzz is good. Buzz is who I wanted. Buzz isn't known for landing lots of big fishes. That's the reality. There might be some. But it's going to be a lot of under the radar types.
Gap
AG
phorizt said:

There's a better PG in play if we want a PG. 2020 kid from NC who may reclassify.

Simply not true. Wheeler is rated higher nationally. Wheeler is a top 10 PG nationally. And I can't comment on the other PG, but Wheeler has a 5 star work ethic.
sincereag
Agreed. Very similar to Chris Beard. He knows the type of players that he can coach and develop into a team.
Double Diamond
Yeah if your looking for a coach that chase big fish and employed like Shaka. Buzz ain't it. Gonna be a lot of three stars signed and developed.
phorizt
Gap said:

phorizt said:

There's a better PG in play if we want a PG. 2020 kid from NC who may reclassify.

Simply not true. Wheeler is rated higher nationally. Wheeler is a top 10 PG nationally. And I can't comment on the other PG, but Wheeler has a 5 star work ethic.
what is not true? That there isn't another highly regarded 2020 kid considering reclassifying? That he wasn't trending to VT before Buzz left. That he didn't say last week that he would love to follow Buzz to A&M? That he isn't rated higher than Wheeler? That we aren't in contact with him?

wacarnolds
AG
Double Diamond said:

Yeah if your looking for a coach that chase big fish and employed like Shaka. Buzz ain't it. Gonna be a lot of three stars signed and developed.

This is the approach that is most sustainable at a school like A&M. And there's no telling what recruiting looks like if he develops a pattern of winning.
wacarnolds
AG
phorizt said:

Gap said:

phorizt said:

what is not true? That there isn't another highly regarded 2020 kid considering reclassifying? That he wasn't trending to VT before Buzz left. That he didn't say last week that he would love to follow Buzz to A&M? That he isn't rated higher than Wheeler? That we aren't in contact with him?

one is ranked #83 as a junior. The other is ranked #93 as a senior. Maybe you like Cone's game more, I don't know, but using that small difference in rankings to argue one is "better" than the other seems dumb. We can use whoever shows up, and each probably has roughly the same odds of contributing if either does commit to us.
Gap
AG
phorizt said:

Gap said:

phorizt said:

Wheeler is a top 10 PG in his class. Wheeler has gone through the summer AAU gauntlet and come out more highly respected. Who knows what happens with the other prospect. Wheeler has been committed to A&M for 2 years. He is very close to his family. He is a difference maker we need to be a part of our program.
suburban cowboy
AG
I think Wheeler could be a pro-guy. Certainly an elite college player in a couple years.

If he's 4 inches taller he goes to a blue-blood.
halfastros81
AG
It's about playing as a team and winning, not chasing recruiting stars. He knows what he's
Looking for and i'm Going to assume that is the type of ball players he's signing.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Junkhead said:

LawHall88 said:

The reason Wheeler is visiting Georgia is because Amir Abdur-Rahim was heavily involved in the recruitment of Wheeler to A&M a couple of years ago while here on Kennedy's staff, and Rahim is now an assistant coach on Crean's staff. So there was a strong previous relationship to the staff at Georgia when Wheeler was released from his LOI.
Chuck Gay
AG
I'm going to quote another poster from another forum who summarized it better than I could:
Quote:

Sahvir is the kind of kid and player that any coach would covet. Very talented, hard worker, strong character, likable solid leader on and off the court. Coach's kid who has been well-prepared for the next level.

I really hope his final decision is to be an Aggie.
agtrevino07
AG
I think both are great talents but I am concerned with their overall height. Both of them are tiny guards at 5-8" (~170 lbs). The only successful small guard this year in the sec was Waters from Lsu and it was mainly bc he was a great shooter. I would love to have a Caruso or Jerome (Virginia) type of point guard with lots of size (+6'5").
Know Your Enemy
AG
suburban cowboy said:

I think Wheeler could be a pro-guy. Certainly an elite college player in a couple years.

If he's 4 inches taller he goes to a blue-blood.
I've seen Wheeler play and I agree.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Pugliese this morning on the radio talked some about the JUCO commit Quenton Jackson. Said he is a freak athlete, as freakishly athletic as Robert Williams. Noted that he had the highest vertical of anybody tested by JUCO advocate services (see tweet below). Definitely sees him as important player next season, and thinks he is the kind of player that will help Buzz change the way defense is played by A&M, that besides being an incredible athlete he's a grinder on defense.

Mentioned again some of the other major schools that were after Jackson, including LSU, Arkansas, Texas, and West Virginia.

Pumpkinhead
AG
Pugliese on Cashius McNeilly this morning, said although not an exceptional athlete, he has a great first step with a long stride that allows him to get by defenders. High basketball IQ and scorer. Sees him as a shooting guard not so much a point guard - though he can handle the ball, and said he would definitely contribute next season and wouldn't even be surprised if McNeilly started next season despite being an early entry from HS.

Here is a video of McNeilly working out from about a year and a half ago - at I guess about 16 years old.

Aston04
AG
Gap said:

phorizt said:

That's your opinion on who is better. I wonder how size and his shot translate to this level. Still hope we land him though.
LawHall88
AG
wacarnolds
AG
What's the remaining eligibility for new guards?

Jackson 3 to play 2?
Gordon 5 to play 4?
Aggie1205
AG
Is there any expectation that any of the four original recruits comes back into the fold? How would those in the know rank the likelihood of each individual player coming back?
Know Your Enemy
AG
Aggie1205 said:

Is there any expectation that any of the four original recruits comes back into the fold? How would those in the know rank the likelihood of each individual player coming back?

I think Wheeler is the best possibility.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Junkhead said:

Aggie1205 said:

I think Wheeler is the best possibility.

Yeah, I think maybe Wheeler...maybe. Other three seem very unlikely.
Goose
AG
Getting Wheeler back on board would be a huge get, keep, whatever we want to call it. Talking to folks who run in those circles of big time recruiting, AAU action, invitation-only high level camps around the country, etc., everything I've heard about him is that he's 100% the real deal. And on top of that, a great kid. At 5'8", a first-glance look tends to make people hesitate, but consider the fact that he's: a top 100 guy nationally, top 10 in TX for the 2019 class (which is an absolutely loaded class), and top 10 at PG nationally...all in spite of the fact that he's only 5'8". Dude can play and we'd be really fortunate to land him.
gig them
AG
This is probably blasphemy to some, but if I could only have one of Wheeler or Blackshear... I think I'd take Wheeler

I think he has a chance to be a multi-year All-SEC caliber player, and we'd have the PG position absolutely locked down for years
Pumpkinhead
AG
Based on everything I've read - And I hang out on here way more than I should - My take on the current roster status:

1) Chances of Gilder returning is very low. He's pretty much gone.
2) Seems very likely that Flagg, Nebo, Mitchell, & Starks are all on board.
3) Mahan almost certainly gone.
4) Don't know about Walker or Chandler specifically, but I suspect at least one of them is going to be gone when the dust settles.
5) You got McNeilly, Gordon, Yeezy, and Jackson in the boat.
6) Keep an eye on JUCO Atticus Taylor. I think he will also be eventually on the boat.
7) Blackshear - Will have to wait and see until deadline to withdraw from NBA draft. If he doesn't go pro though, we will probably be in the running.
8) Wheeler - Staff seems to want him, and he is scheduled to visit Georgia, Iowa State, and Texas A&M soon. How much will staying close to home be a factor for Wheeler? It seemed to be an important factor before. Hard to say right now what our chances currently are here.
9) The other Kennedy recruits (Harris, Kobe Brown, Tyreek Smith) - I think either they or Buzz or both doesn't have the interest - I think they are all gone.
10) Other variables out there include the VT recruit Emanuel Miller who visited last week and at least another PG or two that has been contacted besides Wheeler.

So Current Guys That I feel High Probability As of Now Will Be On Next Year's Roster

Mitchell
Nebo
Flagg
Starks
Jackson
Gordon
McNeilly
Gultekin (Yeezy)

That's 8 guys.

And guys who may fill the other 5 roster spots include Chandler, Walker, Wheeler or some other PG recruit, Atticus Taylor, Emanuel Miller, Blackshear or some other grad transfer big, etc.
Know Your Enemy
AG
I could be wrong but I thought we still had a shot at Harris.
Goose
AG
gig them said:

This is probably blasphemy to some, but if I could only have one of Wheeler or Blackshear... I think I'd take Wheeler

I think he has a chance to be a multi-year All-SEC caliber player, and we'd have the PG position absolutely locked down for years
100% agree and I don't think Wheeler necessarily needs to be an All-SEC caliber player to make the argument. He certainly has the talent and attitude to get there, and I'd be thrilled if it happened, but I'll take a multi year player of his ability just about every time over a one-and-done type. Particularly at PG.
Isaih Smollett
Quote:

Loading up on guards

Gotta replace collins somehow
Pumpkinhead
AG
Junkhead said:

I could be wrong but I thought we still had a shot at Harris.
Harris is taking an official visit to Texas Tech this weekend, and a lot of things pointing to Beard landing him.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.