Chris Harris asks for his release from LOI

15,040 Views | 91 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Aston04
LawHall88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
phorizt said:

This is college basketball, there several ways to add players this late. There are a couple of jucos VT is after right now, other kids will ask for a release when lots of other coaches get fired/leave, and then there's the 800+ transfers that happen every year. Not a lot of HS player options but plenty of ways to hold you over for a year until you get your first full recruiting class in.
True, but with no high school players in the last class, it would not be optimal to not have any in this class as well.
Deputy Travis Junior
GE said:

He's going to be a very good college player.

Total speculation at this point.
expresswrittenconsent
Deputy Travis Junior said:

GE said:

He absolutely might be but it has a bit of a groundhog day feeling to when the same exact posters were saying the same thing about virtually every high school guard recruit from the last decade and were wrong every time (except Caruso who had not much hype).
phorizt
LawHall88 said:

phorizt said:

This is college basketball, there several ways to add players this late. There are a couple of jucos VT is after right now, other kids will ask for a release when lots of other coaches get fired/leave, and then there's the 800+ transfers that happen every year. Not a lot of HS player options but plenty of ways to hold you over for a year until you get your first full recruiting class in.
True, but with no high school players in the last class, it would not be optimal to not have any in this class as well.

Very true. However, if it is Buzz, VT recruited and offered both of the bigger guys in this class so theres already a relationship established with those guys. And Harris is actually a good fit for what Buzz does and i could see him coming back. Its gonna take a couple of years at least to get this roster how we want it.
_lefraud_
AG
expresswrittenconsent said:

Deputy Travis Junior said:

GE said:

He absolutely might be but it has a bit of a groundhog day feeling to when the same exact posters were saying the same thing about virtually every high school guard recruit from the last decade and were wrong every time (except Caruso who had not much hype).

Caruso was a top 100 recruit, had plenty of hype.
expresswrittenconsent
People were pumped about Reese, not Caruso.
txag72
AG

Quote:

We should absolutely grant releases to those who ask for them....after the new coach has been announced and he or she has had a chance to meet with them.

Texags goes 100% PC.
expresswrittenconsent
txag72 said:

Quote:

We should absolutely grant releases to those who ask for them....after the new coach has been announced and he or she has had a chance to meet with them.

Texags goes 100% PC.

That's not PC. That's standard operating procedure, the right thing to do, and is exactly what we will do.
phorizt
We're not going to force a kid to be here if he doesnt want to come
GE
AG
txag72 said:

Quote:

Texags goes 100% PC.
What does doing the right thing have to do with being PC?

Edit: nvm forgot about the little joke I put in there
Gap
AG
Who cares what any of us individually thinks about any particular high school recruit most know little about? Rivals says Chris Harris is a top 100 national player this year. We need to keep those guys in the program. And yes, he is a likely day 1 rotation guy. Look at our guard depth. If you complaining or wondering why French and Collins were in the rotation and starting, do you not see the argument? Now we have guys who complained about transfers under Kennedy wishing top 100 high school recruits who are signed with us arguing they won't contribute and should go elsewhere. What is the agenda? Are you an Aggie or just here to flame and create controversy like a Russian bot?
GE
AG
Gap said:

Who cares what any of us individually thinks about any particular high school recruit most know little about? Rivals says Chris Harris is a top 100 national player this year. We need to keep those guys in the program. And yes, he is a likely day 1 rotation guy. Look at our guard depth. If you complaining or wondering why French and Collins were in the rotation and starting, do you not see the argument? Now we have guys who complained about transfers under Kennedy wishing top 100 high school recruits who are signed with us arguing they won't contribute and should go elsewhere. What is the agenda? Are you an Aggie or just here to flame and create controversy like a Russian bot?
I would expect Harris to get a chance, much like Starks and Chandler did as freshmen before Wilson's injury. Will probably come down to only one of Harris or wheeler logging significant minutes.

I expect Starks and Mitchell will play 30 minutes each per game so that doesn't leave too much left at the 1 through 3 spots to go between Chandler, Mahan, Wheeler, Harris, and Brown. Chandler will almost certainly get his share but the rest is probably a pretty decent competition. Harris probably has the highest ceiling out of the group so he'll probably fight his way in there.
mpaggie06
AG
He'll be singing a different tune once the ink dries on the next coach's contract.
MMantle
AG
Aston,

When are you going to stop bashing Coach Kennedy, come on, you got your wish, move on.

RR
Gap
AG

Quote:

I expect Starks and Mitchell will play 30 minutes each per game so that doesn't leave too much left at the 1 through 3 spots to go between Chandler, Mahan, Wheeler, Harris, and Brown.
Even with that assumption, that leaves 60 minutes of playing time at the 1-3 before you even consider things like injuries that happened this year where we lost Gilder for the year and Mitchell and Starks to a number of games.
4ZORRO
AG
LesterHaze said:

AggieOne said:

Your loss. Not everyone gets to play for coach K.

lol but seriously Harris' other offers were from the likes of Baylor, Memphis, North Texas.

We will manage without him in the long term.
He is a 4*
4ZORRO
AG
Gap said:

Quote:

I expect Starks and Mitchell will play 30 minutes each per game so that doesn't leave too much left at the 1 through 3 spots to go between Chandler, Mahan, Wheeler, Harris, and Brown.
Even with that assumption, that leaves 60 minutes of playing time at the 1-3 before you even consider things like injuries that happened this year where we lost Gilder for the year and Mitchell and Starks to a number of games.
And how many of there do you expect to transfer?
Aston04
AG
MMantle said:

Aston,

When are you going to stop bashing Coach Kennedy, come on, you got your wish, move on.

RR
Only talk about it when relevant to the conversation. I replied to someone else, like you replied to me.

PS: he's been out less than a 1/2 week, not half year or 5 years ago. I appreciate your sensitivity towards bk, he is nice man. That part mattered little to me in evaluating things, but I get it.
Hop
Staff
AG
Aston04 said:

Skull Session said:

And what about all those white guys on the end of the bench? What were they doing except taking up space?

I found that really interesting--- even in the last game of the year... An embarrassing blowout... BK never fully emptied the bench at the end.

To me, all season he made a point of trying to make the score more respectable at the end. We had multiple late covers. While obviously, this one wasn't going to cover no matter what--- I think he was trying to dial that score back trying to look better than reality.
That has to be one of the most asinine comments you've made over the years. So he didn't play Jon Brown, Frank Byers, Luke McGee, Cameron Alo, and Zach Walker because he wanted to keep that 24-point lead down in the last game of the season? Please show me a team that regularly plays players No. 14, 15, 16, and 17 on the bench even in trash time? They may go in for 30 seconds on senior night, or maybe a minute in the November Savannah State game to give them a letter. To suggest Kennedy didn't play them consistently to keep the score down and look better is a weak argument...jumping the shark weak. He's gone. You can stop the creative theories of what Kennedy is doing deceptively to save his job.
Aston04
AG
Lot of words-

it was just weird the bench wasn't emptied when it is obviously over. And followed trends. But got you worked up that's for sure.

Hop
Staff
AG
The grad transfer market has become one of the most fertile late season avenues to land players...only if you have an obvious depth issue and a position and immediate playing time is clear. With Starks, Mitchell, Chandler, Wheeler, and possibly even Gilder, I think the opportunity to get another quality guard out of the grad transfer market will be tough. Plus, Harris is a freshman and the value is getting him in the pipeline for a long period of time. One of the problems Kennedy had was he started relying heavily on grad transfers and JUCO's and that compromises your high school recruiting to some extent. It's kinda like recruiting one-and-dones. Once you start, it's hard to stop that cycle of short-term players coming through the program for many reasons.

Teams have been recruiting the JUCO market for months, so that will be a tough place to pick up talent for the new coach, unless he had a few on the string from his previous job. Most of the high school talent left unsigned are the elite 5-stars picking from UK, Kansas, Duke, and UNC. There may be a few late bloomers out there, but not much will be left for a new coach.

The best scenario is the new coach meeting with Harris and putting his fears to bed...and I assume that will happen.
Aston04
AG
Best case- bring the 4 fish plus a juco or grad transfer. Need a big man.
Amarillo Slim
AG
Interesting. I just assumed Gilder was gone but you eluded to a chance of him returning?
"Real happiness comes not from getting what we desire; but celebrating what we have."
GE
AG
Vaccinate said:

Interesting. I just assumed Gilder was gone but you eluded to a chance of him returning?
I think he graduated in December. If he already had other plans I would have thought he would have started to execute against them instead of staying with the team through the end of the season and even traveling to Nashville with them.

None of that is to say he's coming back but they aren't actions that line up really well with him already having decided to do something else. With the coaching change I could see him maybe grad transferring depending on who we get, but really hope he doesn't.
GE
AG
Aston04 said:

Best case - bring Virginia Tech's 6'10" redshirt junior power forward who is their leading rebounder and second leading scorer. He's been there four years so may be in position to graduate. That team is losing three seniors this year who i assume would have been the class that he started with.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Aston04 said:

Lot of words-

it was just weird the bench wasn't emptied when it is obviously over. And followed trends. But got you worked up that's for sure.

I agree with Hop on this one.

Just today, Tennessee was blown out by Auburn and has to play later this week in an NCAA tournament game, but Rick Barnes still didn't empty his bench at the end. 'Weird'? Uh, no.
_lefraud_
AG
GE said:

Aston04 said:

Best case - bring Virginia Tech's 6'10" redshirt junior power forward who is their leading rebounder and second leading scorer. He's been there four years so may be in position to graduate. That team is losing three seniors this year who i assume would have been the class that he started with.

Kind of a "coaches code" to not do this sort of thing. A few players wanted to go with BCG to Lexington, but he chose to tell them to stay in Aggieland.

But yea, it could happen I suppose, just highly unlikely.
Pumpkinhead
AG
When Shaka Smart took the job in Austin, Top-100 VCU commit Tevin Mack decommitted and followed him over there.

There are just so many variables that could happen with rosters, first things first, we enjoy the NCAA tournament. And once V-Tech falls out, I guess then the heat will really turn up.

Looking at the bracket, it seems like V-Tech has a decent shot to make the second weekend...facing St. Louis and then Miss State (V-Tech vs. Miss State would be a really good matchup and game). The longest we'd have to wait for their season to be over is the Sweet Sixteen when they would run into the Duke Blue Zions (I know March Madness and all, but Zion Williamson seems pretty unfair against D1 competition - though I guess maybe Nike shoe malfunction or something else weird could always occur before they win six straight games).

Tango_Mike
After watching Zion smash the ACC tournament, it seems like picking Duke is cheating.
Gap
AG

Quote:

When Shaka Smart took the job in Austin, Top-100 VCU commit Tevin Mack decommitted and followed him over there.
It looks like Virginia Tech signed 4 in November and doesn't have any commits left to sign in April. Interestingly, our class sits at #25 in the rankings and Buzz's Virginia Tech class sits at #26.

expresswrittenconsent
_lefraud_ said:

GE said:

Aston04 said:

Kind of a "coaches code" to not do this sort of thing. A few players wanted to go with BCG to Lexington, but he chose to tell them to stay in Aggieland.

But yea, it could happen I suppose, just highly unlikely.

To be fair, a grad transfer following buzz would be a little different than HS recruit DeAndre Jordan following BCG to Kentucky.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Tango_Mike said:

After watching Zion smash the ACC tournament, it seems like picking Duke is cheating.

Carolina had a possession to win the game but their fish PG threw up an awful shot. Duke with Zion is very good but definitely beatable.
Hop
Staff
AG
Vaccinate said:

I haven't heard anything specific that could be coming back. Just that it is a theoretical possibility and he stayed with the team the entire season.
sharpdressedman
TXAggie2011 said:

CapCityAg89 said:

EXCELL said:

He doesn't even know who will be the coach yet
Knee jerk reaction

He's 18. Of course it's knee jerk. That's what teenagers do. As Gap says, hopefully he waits it out and sees what happens.

If the reason he wanted to come here is gone, it's best for everyone for him to go ahead and let that be known.

He can go through whatever recruiting process there is left to be had and the new A&M coach isn't placed in an awkward situation.

He can still come to Texas A&M. Let it play out.
Agree. No pressure on the recruit to come or the new coach to accept him. Win/Win.
TyperWoods
Eh.

Whoever we have lined up, and we IMO do have someone lined up, as next HC....it's worth it.

Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.