Bigger Flop: BK at A&M or Turge at Maryland?

4,767 Views | 59 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by GrayMatter
hoya-ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Kennedy is easily the worse coach, but Turgeon is easily the bigger flop at their current school.
peace
S
Turge whined continuously here about the attendance, so now he gets to play to an arena with maybe 17,000 so at least he should be happier on just that note alone. But he does have a sour appearance most of the time.
94chem
Turge would have this team in the 2nd weekend with no worse than a 4 seed. That should have been the floor for this season.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
EXCELL
No contest. Even remotely.

BK is the clear and indisputable winner of the "Ineptitude Award"
jml2621
8T2 said:

jml2621 said:

Hop said:

TXAggie2011 said:

Hop said:

A&M has more resources than Maryland in basketball?

We know the situation here. Not sure having a comparison to Turgeon changes the outlook at A&M one way or the other.

Then why does it matter if A&M has more resources or not?

I didn't say here whether it mattered or not. I just found it surprising that somebody thinks A&M is higher on the totem pole than a basketball school like Maryland.
Maryland was actually a football school dating back to the 50s with conference and 2 national championships ( 1951, 1953). They *think* they're a basketball school, particularly when they were in a basketball conference (ACC), but their fans are as sour as Turge... and adept mostly at turning over and burning couches and cars.

The mid-70s teams (Elmore) were really good but never won a conference championship or even went to the NCAAs. The early 80s teams with Buck Williams then later with Len Bias won only the 1984 ACC crown. Maryland had 2 back to back Final Fours with Gary Williams...aka "Sweaty." But since then Williams and Turge have been winning at about the same rate.

Turge and the Ag fans just pissed off each other re: surliness. Turge also HATED the pre-season game in H-town. Hated it.

I lived in North Carolina in the 70s, and rooted for NC State. The reason Maryland never went to the NCAAs is because only the conference champion went back then. In fact, it was the 1974 ACC championship that prompted the expansion to 32 teams and allowed more than one team from the same conference to go to the tourney. In that game, NC State, with David Thompson, beat Maryland, with Elmore 103-100 in OT, a game many came to call the greatest college game ever played. Maryland was ranked #3 in the country and went home. NC State was ranked #2 and won the title, beating #1 UCLA.

I remember it well. Thompson could take a quarter off the top of the backboard and leave change. Alley-oops (dunks not allowed) from Monte Towe.

So...you're arguing that Maryland should be known as a basketball school because of that single (albeit great) game...

Since that great game Maryland football has won 6 conference championships, and the basketball team only 2.

GW refused to cater to AAU coaches and the recruiting trail fried up. He taught great fundamentals. Our players were about 6-7 when MD last won a Conference Championship, and their parents probably in jr high when MD won the ACC before that.

Norm Sloan reminded me a little of Turge. Kind of a grinder.

jml2621
94chem said:

Turge would have this team in the 2nd weekend with no worse than a 4 seed. That should have been the floor for this season.

BCG pre-Kentucky would have this team in the Final Four.
jsamjenkins
AG
Let's evaluate this after we finish this year. A deep run in the tournament would drastically change this conversation.
JJxvi
AG
Maryland was far more of a lateral move, than say Kentucky. I've always thought Turgeon was extremely short sighted in thinking he was going to get any kind of substantial advantage toward winning at Maryland.

It would be like if BCG went to Indiana or Arkansas. Yeah, better jobs with skins on the wall, but not a lot of reproducible advantage as a program. Maryland also isn't really any better than NC State who Turgeon turned down.
Double Diamond
Turgeon said what he liked about Maryland was Under Armor. Mark thought this was a big advantage for Maryland, being a flagship school for a shoe brand.
Mikeyshooter
AG
jsamjenkins said:

Let's evaluate this after we finish this year. A deep run in the tournament would drastically change this conversation.

That's funny.
Double Diamond
A deep run doesn't remove all the bad.
Ulrich
Turgeon is a good coach. Not a great one, but a good coach.

Kennedy is a below average coach. Not a terrible one, but below average.

More specifically, Kennedy is able to recruit well enough to keep his head above water in spite of his mediocre fundamentals and poor game day coaching. I've seen terrible, and terrible doesn't stay above .500.
Double Diamond
I really am miffed about the Kennedy recruits well. One class. The rest weren't anything great. The last one could be. As Flaig and Starks have upside. Kennedy's recruiting is overrated.
Method Man
Nope
Ulrich
He has gotten a ton of good players on campus. A lot have been graduate transfers and a lot of hs recruits have transferred out, but he has gotten a lot of players on campus.

There's no way to say that he does EVERYTHING badly but still explain winning 58% overall and 46% in a major conference, albeit not usually a great basketball conference. I want him gone, but if he was as bad as people say we would consistently be under .500 overall and posting around four conference wins per season.
Double Diamond
Getting to 20 wins is a struggle with this man.
Double Diamond
The more disturbing thing is this defense. I said it was overrated. And now it's like bad.
Joe Schillaci 48
AG
jml2621 said:

Turge:

155-78 (.665) overall

67-53 (.558) In Conference - (ACC, B1G Ten) 3 NCAAs, 1 Sweet 16, 1 NIT

BK

128-92(.582) overall

53-63 (.457) In Conference (Big12, SEC) 1 NCAA, 1 Sweet 16, 1 NIT

The Winner...errrrr... Loser is BK

It is what it is.

If that's what we want, A&M should retain BK and watch things get even worse...

Turge not interested in W/L. He just wants attendance records. Who has drawn the most fans?
Method Man
You're right. A&M does have good basketball fans and turgeon didn't care about wins
EXCELL
Quote:

Not a terrible one, but below average.
I beg to differ
monarch
S
I'm thinking that BK's health issues have impacted his ability to coach better. I want to give him the benefit of the doubt. With that said, we cant go on like this. The tools are all in place to field a very competitive team, year in and year out, but it isn't happening. Unfortunately, we might need to part ways with BK. We have to get the program moving in the right direction.

Did I answer the OP's question? Nope, but I took the time to say something else.

AA
Peace for Ukraine!
grego
AG
BK dint have a stellar resume before he got sick.

He's just a bad basketball coach. Period.
Triple-T
AG
Here's a better question:

How much better would your Aggie Basketball experience have been over the last 7 years if we had Turge instead of BK?

Kind of tells you all you need to know.
Method Man
And would you take making the tourney every year over what we have? A lot of Aggies care way too much about the personal stuff and not the results.
Topher17
AG
SilverTongueDevil said:

The real head scratcher is that Kennedy recruited so much better here than Turgeon. If Turge had the players we have had the past 4 years we probably would have been to sweet 16 each year. But that's in him for not getting better players. He is a far superior coach to kennedy.
It is less of a head scratcher when you consider who we hired right before bringing that class in and the reputation he has within the profession.

Other than the one class that ranked 4th in the country, it isn't like Kennedy's recruiting has been other worldly or anything. Also, several of the highly touted guys that have been brought in don't finish here (Robinson, Caldwell).
GrayMatter
AG
The expectations are higher at Maryland. They expect to be playing on the 3rd weekend. 3 straight NCAA tournament bids isn't enough.
The conversations will be uncomfortable, but we all have to get comfortable with being uncomfortable for progress to be made.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.