Zwerneman- Tyler Davis likely gone after this season

9,026 Views | 102 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by jml2621
Method Man
How long do you want to ignore this user?
List me the players like Tyler in the NBA that can't shoot outside.
Double Diamond
John what you are talking about has nothing to do with anything. No it's not a bad look if Tyler Davis wants to play elsewhere. It's a mess here. Clearly something is sour. Or if Tyler wants to go over seas and get paid. If I see no reason Tyler can't play in the g-league. The Mavs have worse players on their G-league team. And the G-League isn't bad now.
Double Diamond
Tyler Davis unfortunately doesn't have a modern nba game.
AgsNguyen
AG
Aston04 said:

Lineup next year if Davis, Williams and Hogg go:

Starks
Gilder
Jones?
Flagg
Nebo

We would be horrible.

Reminds me of that part from major league where the new owner hands the roster to the front office guys.
Mikeyshooter
AG
We're basically going to need to give Tyler a reason to stick around. Hiring a good coach is a good place to start.
BattlinB
AG
94chem said:

Hogg needs a league where you don't have to be good at dribbling, passing, shooting, rebounding, or defending. Maybe the Canadian national women's team?

In my opinion Hogg could not even get a contract in the Mexican league. Do you think he could in Europe? At this point it is just not there, but he he might potentially be happy playing the Mercenary circuit and getting high every night. I really wish this young man would get his act together. He played well as a Fish and I was expecting big things from him especially the way he started this year. Still wondering what went on with his suspension to totally demotivate him to where he is now..
Logan Lee
Staff
AG
I'm going to smash any of the talks about Tyler being grad transfer eligible after this season or the summer sessions. Tyler is a smart guy and understands his place and position but he isn't going to be able to take enough classes to be eligible to graduate early... nor do I think he would go that route even if he had the chance.

Topher17
AG
Logan Lee said:

I'm going to smash any of the talks about Tyler being grad transfer eligible after this season or the summer sessions. Tyler is a smart guy and understands his place and position but he isn't going to be able to take enough classes to be eligible to graduate early... nor do I think he would go that route even if he had the chance.

Thanks for the info Logan! I wasn't sure it would be possible for him, but figured it was worth discussing on the off chance that it could happen.
Deputy Travis Junior
Why would it be a bad look? It's well known that he's 1 of like 2 or 3 contributing players on the team who hasn't been suspended this season. "I want to play my final year on a team that actually gives a crap" would sound reasonable to any coach or commentator.

Plus, we're very likely going to suck next year.
John Pugliese
Thanks Logan.
-John Pugliese
@johnpugliese
Sin City Resident
mhayden
Electric said:

If Davis wants out that tells you all you need to know.

This.

If Davis leaves not only are we completely screwed for next season, but it's the hardest working guy on the team saying "I don't want to play my Senior year here".

That is as big an indictment of Kennedy than anything I've seen.
Method Man
Meh I don't know about that.
Topher17
AG
kino29 said:

94chem said:

Hogg needs a league where you don't have to be good at dribbling, passing, shooting, rebounding, or defending. Maybe the Canadian national women's team?

In my opinion Hogg could not even get a contract in the Mexican league. Do you think he could in Europe? At this point it is just not there, but he he might potentially be happy playing the Mercenary circuit and getting high every night. I really wish this young man would get his act together. He played well as a Fish and I was expecting big things from him especially the way he started this year. Still wondering what went on with his suspension to totally demotivate him to where he is now..
You're wrong about this, but I don't feel like getting into another Hogg debate on here right now. The mob on this site going after the young man is ridiculous.
Topher17
AG
I say that mostly from the fact that it is incredibly rare to see someone transfer from a high major to a high major, not that it would look bad on him. If anything it would look worse for us as a program. I agree on all your points though for why it would make sense for him and I certainly wouldn't fault him for it. Hell, if you were in his sitation, would you want to play here next year?
Deputy Travis Junior
I don't know how close he is to Kennedy or his teammates, but from a basketball perspective? Yea, I'd transfer.
Harry Dunne
Topher17 said:

kino29 said:

94chem said:

You're wrong about this, but I don't feel like getting into another Hogg debate on here right now. The mob on this site going after the young man is ridiculous.

I agree. He has made some bad decisions (on and off court) and has some areas of his game he needs to work on but if you take those things away and base it purely on talent I don't think there is a team in the country that wouldn't give him a scholarship.

You can be mad about his choices and even think the team would be better off without him, but the Mexican league comment is absurd. You don't think he could play in Europe? Guys with half his talent have had good long careers there.

Aston04
AG
Logan Lee said:

Logan- As a follow-up-- So do you think there's any validity to the speculation in the article about Davis leaving?
Topher17
AG
Completely agree. People are acting as if he is the sole reason for the issues with this team and attacking him as a person and I'm damn tired of seeing it on these boards.

Has he played well? No, and we can all acknowledge that along with some of the deficiencies in his game. However I am tired of people who clearly don't have great knowledge of basketball acting like he's the worst player to ever play here and continuously take personal shots at the guy. Gurantee you these are the same people who would defend a certain football player to the end of the earth no matter if/when he smoked some weed and was notorious for doing other things as well.
BattlinB
AG
Harry Dunne said:

Topher17 said:

kino29 said:

94chem said:

I agree. He has made some bad decisions (on and off court) and has some areas of his game he needs to work on but if you take those things away and base it purely on talent I don't think there is a team in the country that wouldn't give him a scholarship.

You can be mad about his choices and even think the team would be better off without him, but the Mexican league comment is absurd. You don't think he could play in Europe? Guys with half his talent have had good long careers there.

I am basing it on where he is at now, as a player over these past few months. I live in Mexico and know alot of Americans that made bad mistakes in College and still want to play ball and can't even get on a team here. I am really pulling for Hogg to get his act together. I don't want to see him down here 2 years from now still clinging to a dream of a pro career. He is showing a complete lack of desire at this point.
greg.w.h
AG
I wish Tyler the best regardless of if he were to choose to continue his career with us or somewhere else. I think it is entirely unfair to him to place additional expectations on him as he makes what is his and only his choice.

I personally believe we think about athletes in an unfair way. I was on scholarships that combined with government grants resulted in "free school". And I even received benefits beyond that that would be impermissible from an NCAA standpoint. And there were other "complications" as time went on including--somewhat like Tyler--becoming interested in rethinking the whole relationship with Texas A&M.

I talked with my scholarship sponsor and with my people in my department that could give me their perspectives. But no one could actually choose for me and none behaved as if I owed something additional to the University.

The analogy is by no means exact or precise, but I will offer that it is very much a free will choice whether or not to attend and to graduate. Making noise like someone has abandoned us because he or she makes a free will choice is frankly deplorable. Just don't.

If you do NOT wish them well, feel free to say whatever you want to. But realize you're the one trying to control the life of an 18-20 something year old. It's not a good look. And don't be surprised if you get a hopefully thoughtful response that reframes why it isn't a good look.
BattlinB
AG
kino29 said:

Harry Dunne said:

Topher17 said:

kino29 said:

94chem said:

I am basing it on where he is at now, as a player over these past few months. I live in Mexico and know alot of Americans that made bad mistakes in College and still want to play ball and can't even get on a team here. I am really pulling for Hogg to get his act together. I don't want to see him down here 2 years from now still clinging to a dream of a pro career. He is showing a complete lack of desire at this point. Yes he has potential. It's all for nothing however until he can clean his act up and fix his attitude.
Topher17
AG
kino29 said:

Harry Dunne said:

Topher17 said:

kino29 said:

94chem said:

I am basing it on where he is at now, as a player over these past few months. I live in Mexico and know alot of Americans that made bad mistakes in College and still want to play ball and can't even get on a team here. I am really pulling for Hogg to get his act together. I don't want to see him down here 2 years from now still clinging to a dream of a pro career. He is showing a complete lack of desire at this point.
You have made 8 posts on this site and 6 of them have been bashing Hogg. Don't give me the "I'm rooting for him" line, its insincere.
Topher17
AG
I didn't mean that line in the way it is being interpreted. I will edit it, as I agree with what you have said. He doesn't owe anyone anything other than himself.
Ulrich
If Hogg and Davis leave for the g-league or Europe, will Gilder follow?

I think a number of g-league teams would like to have Davis. He's a good basketball player, but beyond that he's exactly the kind of guy you want in the locker room and on the court setting an example for and matching up with your other prospects. There are some real stiffs in the g-league, yet it's becoming a more legit league in its own right as well as a much stronger pipeline into the NBA.

Besides, I'm one of the nut cases who thinks that Davis could end up playing in the NBA for quite a while in the right situation.
Texas A&M
Logan Lee said:

That sucks for him.....
94chem
Davis has the look of someone who will get drafted in the 2nd round by San Antonio, work his butt off, and start putting up 11 and 6 as a rotation guy in a few years. It comes down to how hard he works. I've seen 3 players at UNC over the past 15 years... Kennedy Meeks, Tyler Hansbrough, Sean May...college posts who can't play away from the basket. Tyler Davis will have to become proficient away from the basket, ala Bill Lambier, to be successful.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
94chem
Method Man is correct. Even guys like Tim Duncan and Zach Randolph have mid-range games. Only the freaks like DeAndre and Dwight can get away without one.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
Hickory High
AG
I was hoping Tyler could become like Zach Randolph over time when he came in as a freshman, but he still can't shoot. Like Method Man said, there's not much of a place for big, slow guys who can't shoot jumpshots or free throws AND plays below/at the rim.
hurleyag
AG
kino29 said:

94chem said:

I think you are underestimating how many international leagues there are.He'll get picked up somewhere.
greg.w.h
AG
Topher17 said:

I didn't mean that line in the way it is being interpreted. I will edit it, as I agree with what you have said. He doesn't owe anyone anything other than himself.

I appreciate your thoughtfulness in responding. I'll note that I was not keying on anything you or others specifically said. It's just an ongoing concern that I brought up.
TyperWoods
I wish the best for Davis, Williams, Hogg, and whoever may decide to go pro.

I don't blame them, I think they all need more development though.

But I have not seen any evidence during the BK reign that it's likely to happen here so....
John Pugliese
94chem said:

Davis has the look of someone who will get drafted in the 2nd round by San Antonio, work his butt off, and start putting up 11 and 6 as a rotation guy in a few years. It comes down to how hard he works. I've seen 3 players at UNC over the past 15 years... Kennedy Meeks, Tyler Hansbrough, Sean May...college posts who can't play away from the basket. Tyler Davis will have to become proficient away from the basket, ala Bill Lambier, to be successful.
I'll wish you good luck getting anyone to buy into Tyler Davis averaging 11 & 6 in the NBA. I'll take the bet if you're offering it. It's not going to happen on the Spurs, Magic, Heat or next to Lebron James. As I said, he is an out of area rebounder and defender, who is physical and has a consistent motor...those are his strengths. That will get him on a roster, not his ability to shoot a 15 footer.

I may not have articulated what I was saying and maybe I'm even backtracking on my comment, so I apologize if that is the way this is coming off...Tyler could use a jumper and that would help him stick in the league, but him taking them now is not to impress people-because it isn't impressing anyone. I agree, he needs a jumper, but he doesn't have one. So his strengths currently are what he would or would not be drafted on. No one in the league thinks this is a guy who has the mechanics to be a plus shooter. Those are factual comments. Further, his shot is a 3-piece shot, among the hardest to change, especially for a big.

It will be very difficult for him to get drafted as is which, is why I see him fitting in very well overseas at the end of the college career.
-John Pugliese
@johnpugliese
Sin City Resident
PatAg
AG
Topher17 said:

kino29 said:

94chem said:

Could not agree more with you. It's actually disgusting.
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
Electric said:

Has he said a thing ?
GrayMatter
AG
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas said:

Electric said:

Has he said a thing ?
pure speculation based on that poorly written article
The conversations will be uncomfortable, but we all have to get comfortable with being uncomfortable for progress to be made.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.