Zwerneman- Tyler Davis likely gone after this season

8,944 Views | 102 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by jml2621
Aston04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/aggies/article/Texas-A-M-coach-an-inspiration-but-wins-needed-12658509.php

Buried at the end of the article-

Quote:

Sophomore forward Robert Williams intends to declare for the NBA draft, and he projects as a first-round selection. It doesn't appear center Tyler Davis intends to stick around for his senior season, and the junior Hogg has been a mess, so who knows what his future holds.
Bunk Moreland
at the beginning of the season announcers would use more commentary about TD with stuff like "might be a 4 year guy in college but definitely has a pro career somewhere" mention overseas etc...

The last few weeks it has changed to just "he'll be playing professional somewhere soon" or something like that. Much less talk about 4 years. I'm sure that's just research info provided by our SID or something, but I have noticed the shift in how they present that talking point on broadcasts.
Harry Dunne
That's fine, either BK will prove us wrong and win with new faces or the more likely scenario, we will be awful and he will get fired after next season.

If everyone stayed there is a good chance we would have slight progress next year aka absolute underperformance but good enough results that you can justify a success if you are a smooth salesman coach or an AD who has his head all the way up footballs ass and doesn't want to bother with the coaching search.
Mike Elko
AG
After two consecutive years of a complete s*** show, not to mention lack of coaching, I don't blame any of the players for jumping ship. Williams made a mistake by coming back; TD has improved his status; Hogg has always been weak and overrated. Buy, hey, our coach is a nice guy!
CDub06
AG
Doesn't matter. This is the year we circled. This is the year that everything came together and against all odds, Robert Williams came back. And we're winding up a miserable season. It doesn't matter if this coaching staff had the entire team return, they're not going to get it done.

Tyler and Robert have been fun to watch. I hope they tear it up in the NBA and represent A&M well there.
Wicked Good Ag
I honestly hope he graduates and then plays his senior year somewhere that players and school care to win

And if that makes me a bad Ag so be it
Harry Dunne
I don't think it makes you a bad Ag unless you want him to go to a rival and beat us. If he graduated and played a season for a great Xs and Os coach like Jay Wright or Mark Few where he had a chance to win big...I would be pumped for him too and immediately become a fan of that program.
BattlinB
AG
Davis needs another year of development , needs to practice free throws and improve his defense. The Kid has lots of heart. You guys are right, he needs a real coach who can get him to the next level and on to the NBA.
jagged
AG
1000% he should get out of this dysfunctional program and do what's best for him.
Topher17
AG
Does anyone know how close Tyler could really be to graduating? I'm guessing with summer classes and such he could be pretty close.
TMartin
As BZ pointed out the scenario at A&M is trending worse next year than this year ......that's scary. Hogg isn't a good basketball player regardless of his personal habits, A&M still doesn't have a point guard. Recruiting is terrible. I hope Davis finds a home where his work ethic and skills can be developed.
John Pugliese
Tyler could go the grad-transfer route, although I don't see that happening. He's going to leave A&M...for where? That doesn't help him at all. Next year he would be back and be the man...with a 4-man that fits with his game. No reason for him to leave. He isn't a NBA Draft pick, he's off the board for most teams although he would be a guy that a lot of NBA teams want to have in their summer league as a roster invite. Tyler could go overseas and play at a high level in Spain, Italy or France...I could see a team like Real Madrid or Barcelona being interested in him because of his physicality and skill set.

The G-League expansion in terms of rate of pay and contracts isn't expected for at least another year, so I'm not sure that is a viable option.

Not sure where Hogg goes...when he's playing well he is in the low 100's, but still, off everyone's draft board. Another guy who could head overseas but not at an exceptionally high level right now given the way he has played. Stats matter to European clubs...#'s are king. His don't add up right now.
-John Pugliese
@johnpugliese
Sin City Resident
Topher17
AG
You don't think TD could get some looks from a top D1 school in need of an experienced big man to round out their team next year?

I get that he would have a 4 that more fits his skill set, but we still wouldn't have a guard with the ability to get him the ball effectively and in good position. To me it is less about him thinking of his development and how it would help him, and more about him wanting to make a run at things with a team that has a real shot at something special. It wouldn't be difficult for him to look at the situation here and see that next year's team isn't going to be competing for a Final Four appearance.

As for Hogg, he hasn't shown a lot to scouts, but I still think he may see who would take him overseas. It has long been rumored on here and on campus that he's never really intended to stay a full four years.
Electric
AG
If Davis wants out that tells you all you need to know.
Electric
AG
Hogg should just give Josh Gordon a call and see if he can pick up his old Baylor pot selling route. I think he was making like $30k a month.
John Pugliese
Topher17 said:

You don't think TD could get some looks from a top D1 school in need of an experienced big man to round out their team next year?

I get that he would have a 4 that more fits his skill set, but we still wouldn't have a guard with the ability to get him the ball effectively and in good position. To me it is less about him thinking of his development and how it would help him, and more about him wanting to make a run at things with a team that has a real shot at something special. It wouldn't be difficult for him to look at the situation here and see that next year's team isn't going to be competing for a Final Four appearance.

As for Hogg, he hasn't shown a lot to scouts, but I still think he may see who would take him overseas. It has long been rumored on here and on campus that he's never really intended to stay a full four years.
He would get a TON of looks...but there isn't a lot in it for him besides potentially making a run on another team. I don't see it happening, it's not going to be a great look for him to leave A&M as a hired gun when he is already a HM player. Usually you see MM or LM guys grad transfer and go up...this would not be the case (although it's not unheard of).

Hogg is a European guy, I just don't know that this is the year to leave considering he hasn't played well. European clubs watch a TON of film and then bounce your stats off that film to see if it adds up. He'd be a second or third Tier guy playing overseas, maybe in the 3rd Division in Spain or France, potentially in a country like Lithuania or the CBL in China. You can make some money doing that obviously, but it's not what it could be if he plays one more year as a stretch-4, which is more of a natural spot for him.

-John Pugliese
@johnpugliese
Sin City Resident
GrayMatter
AG
That's terrible piece of writing. Is it based on a source that can confirm that or is it his opinion?

Seems like he's just trying to stir the pot.

If anything, I'm guessing Davis will evaluate his situation at the end of the season right about the time we're considering everything else about the program this summer.
The conversations will be uncomfortable, but we all have to get comfortable with being uncomfortable for progress to be made.
Aston04
AG
TD would easily be one of the most sought after grad transfers next year, if not the most. Even any blue blood with a scholarship handy would take him.
Topher17
AG
It is pretty uncommon for a major player like that to do so, but I think the potential is there for it to happen. Obviously I'm hoping it doesn't, it could just be an interesting development.

Do you see any potential for Tyler in Europe following this season? I'm not sure his game translates to the NBA at this point, but would love to get your take on it.
Know Your Enemy
AG
AggieBaller98 said:

That's terrible piece of writing. Is it based on a source that can confirm that or is it his opinion?

If anything, I'm guessing Davis will evaluate his situation at the end of the season right about the time we're considering everything else about the program this summer.
It's Brent Z. Did you expect a well written article?
Topher17
AG
Aston04 said:

TD would easily be one of the most sought after grad transfers next year, if not the most. Even any blue blood with a scholarship handy would take him.
May be less worth it for him this year than in the past considering the blue bloods probably won't be willing to offer what they could have when the FBI wasn't sniffing around.
Aston04
AG
Actually, besides the end speculation (perhaps?), I thought that article was very well informed and even handed. Guessing some won't even bother reading it, before commenting.

Basically looks like actually he took the time to research and understand the current pro/cons of BK.

Most in the media would rather write a complete fluff piece and protect their access to BK.
John Pugliese
Topher17 said:

I agree it wouldn't be the best look and is pretty uncommon for a major player like that to do so, but I think the potential is there for it to happen. Obviously I'm hoping it doesn't, it could just be an interesting development.

Do you see any potential for Tyler in Europe following this season? I'm not sure his game translates to the NBA at this point, but would love to get your take on it.
100%...he is going to be a guy that European clubs would love. I mentioned him playing at a high level, Spain, France or Italy would be my guess. The one thing that he isn't, is an athletic two foot guy, which clubs overseas love in their transports. But, his skill level and physicality is really high level and he's elite around the rim. Makes for a good fit. Problem is that most European bigs, who aren't stretch guys, are similar to Tyler...so he has to be something that a club doesn't have in their system already (most pull from juniors) and transports have to be worth the $ they are paying.

I went to the Spanish League Finals two years ago, could see him being a great fit playing for a team like Barcelona or Real Madrid.

He'll make a lot of money overseas but also could be a surprise of Summer League and get some NBA shots as a roster invite guy. Just not sure he sticks and it might make more sense just to head across the water.
-John Pugliese
@johnpugliese
Sin City Resident
Method Man
Davis would be the man, how, John? Kennedy doesn't make an effort to get him the ball. He has no clue how to consistently do that.

Also, you can tell Tyler is leaving because he started shooting jumpshots. The only chance he has to go to the NBA is if he can hit shots from distance.
Topher17
AG
Method Man said:

Also, you can tell Tyler is leaving because he started shooting jumpshots. The only chance he has to go to the NBA is if he can hit shots from distance.
I get the thought process here, but I'm not sure in games he's thinking, "I need to shoot this so NBA teams can see that I have no shot outside 5 ft." Maybe it is why he's shooting more shots from a distance, I'm just not sold on that thought.

If anything, I think we've seen him shoot more because he's pressing to the "the guy" for this team. He doesn't get enough quality touches in the post because our entry passes are pretty poor, so when he does get the ball, he's looking to score any way possible.

Now, with RW I think his continued outside shooting is a direct result of people telling him he needs to develop a shot for the NBA.
Jumbo Fister
AG
This would make our lineup next year a complete disaster. Jasey would be the starting 5?
94chem
Hogg needs a league where you don't have to be good at dribbling, passing, shooting, rebounding, or defending. Maybe the Canadian national women's team?
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
Method Man
Possible, but I think it's prob both.
Aston04
AG
Lineup next year if Davis, Williams and Hogg go:

Starks
Gilder
Jones?
Flagg
Nebo

We would be horrible.
Captn_Ag05
AG
Probably. Maybe the new coach will bring in a JC transfer or a new recruit with him.

But, if the team next year tries and plays with heart, even if significantly less talented than this year's team, I will take it. Losing always sucks, but when it is as a result of lack or passion or care, it is unbearable.
Harry Dunne
Junkhead said:

AggieBaller98 said:

It's Brent Z. Did you expect a well written article?
Weinerman gets an undeserved bad rap - most of his stuff, like this, is just fine.
Method Man
I think if Brent is typing it bk is actually on the hot seat a little.
Double Diamond
This program isn't in good shape.
John Pugliese
Disagree...

Tyler would be playing with a stretch 4 (Hogg) would allow for more room for Davis to play. Him and Rob aren't a great fit together, that is fact. They are both Centers playing with a team that isn't shooting it great. There just isn't a lot of space.

Him playing in the NBA has nothing to do with his shooting ability. It won't get guys excited about him if he started shooting 19-21 foot jumpers. That is a false story line. It's going to be about his ability to rebound outside of his area and defend. Tyler is an energy giver in the NBA, a great compliment to a veteran club.

Tyler is shooting jumpers because there isn't room for him to work because his teammates aren't stretching the floor with outside shooting. He also holds the ball consistently for 2-3 seconds before making a move, leaving less room for him to play in off the bounce.

Rob Williams is another guy that doesn't need to prove he can shoot it. He is a center in the NBA...he won't be shooting perimeter shots unless they are face game 10-14 footers. If people are telling him he needs to prove he can shoot it, they don't have access to any front office guys...he's not being drafted for that and his draft stock isn't higher because he has made some on a face game.
-John Pugliese
@johnpugliese
Sin City Resident
John Pugliese
Captn_Ag05 said:

Probably. Maybe the new coach will bring in a JC transfer or a new recruit with him.

But, if the team next year tries and plays with heart, even if significantly less talented than this year's team, I will take it. Losing always sucks, but when it is as a result of lack or passion or care, it is unbearable.
Really bad year for JC guys...most of the high level guys are already committed or decided to go prep school instead. None left who are elite enough (that aren't already down to final schools) to play at the HM level. Lots of D2 and low major guys that route.
-John Pugliese
@johnpugliese
Sin City Resident
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.