Zwerneman- Tyler Davis likely gone after this season

8,948 Views | 102 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by jml2621
Method Man
How long do you want to ignore this user?
What if he loves Kennedy and wants to leave because he's ready to leave? It doesn't tell me much.
PJYoung
AG
Topher17 said:

kino29 said:

94chem said:

Hogg needs a league where you don't have to be good at dribbling, passing, shooting, rebounding, or defending. Maybe the Canadian national women's team?

In my opinion Hogg could not even get a contract in the Mexican league. Do you think he could in Europe? At this point it is just not there, but he he might potentially be happy playing the Mercenary circuit and getting high every night. I really wish this young man would get his act together. He played well as a Fish and I was expecting big things from him especially the way he started this year. Still wondering what went on with his suspension to totally demotivate him to where he is now..
You're wrong about this, but I don't feel like getting into another Hogg debate on here right now. The mob on this site going after the young man is ridiculous.

By the way, I was told by somebody in A&M parking that at least one of Hogg's suspensions was for unpaid parking tickets.
Hop
Staff
AG
Why are people assuming that a true junior playing a major sport is a grad transfer candidate?
Method Man
PJYoung said:

Topher17 said:

kino29 said:

94chem said:

Hogg needs a league where you don't have to be good at dribbling, passing, shooting, rebounding, or defending. Maybe the Canadian national women's team?

In my opinion Hogg could not even get a contract in the Mexican league. Do you think he could in Europe? At this point it is just not there, but he he might potentially be happy playing the Mercenary circuit and getting high every night. I really wish this young man would get his act together. He played well as a Fish and I was expecting big things from him especially the way he started this year. Still wondering what went on with his suspension to totally demotivate him to where he is now..
You're wrong about this, but I don't feel like getting into another Hogg debate on here right now. The mob on this site going after the young man is ridiculous.

By the way, I was told by somebody in A&M parking that at least one of Hogg's suspensions was for unpaid parking tickets.

Lazy parking jk!
AgsNguyen
AG
PJYoung said:

Topher17 said:

kino29 said:

94chem said:

Myles should be able to park anywhere he wants for life. Hogg should be able to take the bus for life....assuming he buys a bus pass and all.
mhayden
So none of the TexAgs hoops guys seem to be commenting one way or the other... regarding the article, has Davis given any indication on not returning for his Senior year?
jml2621
Electric said:

If Davis wants out that tells you all you need to know.
Fire Billy Kennedy.

jml2621
Hop said:

Why are people assuming that a true junior playing a major sport is a grad transfer candidate?

So...Tyler's going Euroball.
Texas A&M
Hop said:

Probably because we don't know how strong his academic credentials are. Kids start college with so many more hours than they used to. It doesn't sound like he's one of those, but its not a stretch for it to be considered.
mhayden
... our beat guy says it doesn't appear Tyler Davis is going to hang around for his Senior year...

Staff... that covers Aggie Hoops... is this news to you?
basic8
John Pugliese said:

94chem said:

Davis has the look of someone who will get drafted in the 2nd round by San Antonio, work his butt off, and start putting up 11 and 6 as a rotation guy in a few years. It comes down to how hard he works. I've seen 3 players at UNC over the past 15 years... Kennedy Meeks, Tyler Hansbrough, Sean May...college posts who can't play away from the basket. Tyler Davis will have to become proficient away from the basket, ala Bill Lambier, to be successful.
I'll wish you good luck getting anyone to buy into Tyler Davis averaging 11 & 6 in the NBA. I'll take the bet if you're offering it. It's not going to happen on the Spurs, Magic, Heat or next to Lebron James. As I said, he is an out of area rebounder and defender, who is physical and has a consistent motor...those are his strengths. That will get him on a roster, not his ability to shoot a 15 footer.

I may not have articulated what I was saying and maybe I'm even backtracking on my comment, so I apologize if that is the way this is coming off...Tyler could use a jumper and that would help him stick in the league, but him taking them now is not to impress people-because it isn't impressing anyone. I agree, he needs a jumper, but he doesn't have one. So his strengths currently are what he would or would not be drafted on. No one in the league thinks this is a guy who has the mechanics to be a plus shooter. Those are factual comments. Further, his shot is a 3-piece shot, among the hardest to change, especially for a big.

It will be very difficult for him to get drafted as is which, is why I see him fitting in very well overseas at the end of the college career.
TD is a really good collegiate low post player. His ceiling just is not real high imo.

Hogg may have the potential to be a very good college player, but he just has not done it. "Yet" can be used, but just don't see anyone stateside making an investment in him to pay him to do what he does.

And overseas, numbers are crucial, immediately. He scores big consistently, he stays. He doesn't, he gets sent home. And that beautiful jumper is his ticket.
Toptierag2018
So hypothetically what's the line up without him?
How many bigs would be left if him and Williams leave before next year?
mhayden
So still nothing on this?

Possibly the most important player for the roster next year and no one has dug a little deeper on whether or not he is thinking of leaving?
Method Man
mhayden, tweet at him. Maybe the staff doesn't want to ruin this magical run we are in for.
EliteZags
AG

Quote:

Collins backs up the 4
Wicked Good Ag
Hop said:

Well IF he leaves after this season it is either overseas to play or transfer. Don't see many true juniors wanting to sit a year to play one more at another location so asking if he could graduate early isn't like the worst question asked on Texags

But maybe we should ask if he washes his hands if he attends the baseball games at Olsen
Hop
Staff
AG
Most (not all) graduate transfers are 4th or 5th year players that redshirted at some point. My point is it's very, very rare for a true junior who plays a major sport (and thus can't load up on a 18-21 hour semester) to graduate in three years.

If he leaves, it will be to go make money overseas. From what I've heard, Davis will test the waters (like almost every junior) and get his grade back from the NBA...and his decision will be based on the feedback. There's really nothing to report.
mhayden
Hop said:

Most (not all) graduate transfers are 4th or 5th year players that redshirted at some point. My point is it's very, very rare for a true junior who plays a major sport (and thus can't load up on a 18-21 hour semester) to graduate in three years.

If he leaves, it will be to go make money overseas. From what I've heard, Davis will test the waters (like almost every junior) and get his grade back from the NBA...and his decision will be based on the feedback. There's really nothing to report.

What you just posted was/is worth reporting.

BZ reporting Davis "doesn't appear to be intending on sticking around for his Senior year" and you saying Davis will do the typical testing of the waters and will make a decision based on that are two very different things. One sounds like he's gone, the other sounds like he'll be back (as I think most of us agree TD likely isn't getting a high enough NBA grade to really entice him to leave early).

It doesn't matter who is our coach, with a healthy Admon/Starks at guard and Tyler in the post we are a tournament-caliber squad. No Tyler, and we're in a whole heap of trouble.
Hop
Staff
AG
Davis could get a second round grade, and I do think there is a risk he leaves if that's the case.
Deputy Travis Junior
Toptierag2018 said:

Our big men would be Nebo and Jasey. Nebo is a legit college athlete who's proven himself at the college level, but Jasey is averaging less than 1&1 this year.

In other words, losing Davis would be catastrophic.
LawHall88
AG
Hop said:

Davis could get a second round grade, and I do think there is a risk he leaves if that's the case.
From Seth Davis in the Athletic, the quotes is from an unnamed SEC coach:

Quote:

Texas A&M: "They've got two NBA-level big guys. Davis and Williams are so big inside. Being able to match with them is the key. Williams does a great job getting position by using his body. You have to have strength to match up with him. The problem with them is their point guard play. They don't shoot it real well on the perimeter. When they're on, they're as good as anybody in our league. Problem is, they're on about two times a month. With Wilson out, they're playing Starks at point guard, but he's a really streaky shooter. When Davis is engaged, he's active on the offensive glass. But he's not always engaged."
So, somebody thinks Davis is "NBA level."
Topher17
AG
Sounds to me like that source has Davis and Williams mixed up in regards to how they play.
LawHall88
AG
Topher17 said:

Sounds to me like that source has Davis and Williams mixed up in regards to how they play.
You know, it does actually.
Deputy Travis Junior
Topher17 said:

Agreed. Good catch. I thought the Davis "is not always engaged" comment was weird, but you figured it out.
Bunk Moreland
LawHall88 said:

Hop said:

From Seth Davis in the Athletic, the quotes is from an unnamed SEC coach:

Quote:

Texas A&M: "They've got two NBA-level big guys. Davis and Williams are so big inside. Being able to match with them is the key. Williams does a great job getting position by using his body. You have to have strength to match up with him. The problem with them is their point guard play. They don't shoot it real well on the perimeter. When they're on, they're as good as anybody in our league. Problem is, they're on about two times a month. With Wilson out, they're playing Starks at point guard, but he's a really streaky shooter. When Davis is engaged, he's active on the offensive glass. But he's not always engaged."
So, somebody thinks Davis is "NBA level."

Also sounds like that coach has Davis and Williams mixed up.
txag72
AG
Maybe BK is the unnamed coach?
TyperWoods
When it comes to shooting, RW's biggest problem is thinking about it too much.

He doesn't need to be taking 3's, but if he's going to take one.... catch and shoot. He's generally hesitant on his short/midrange stuff too.
Method Man
He has genuinely awful form. Would've been good to work all summer on that and improve.
CapCityAg89
AG
Hop said:

He needs to talk to Chin Eloneau if this is the case. Lakers didn't work for him as well as AC.
mhayden
While he didn't get to the big $$$ in the NBA, Elonu has traveled the world and probably made over half a million since graduating + food/lodging/taxes playing ball.

Not saying that is what Tyler is wanting, but it's not "NBA or flip burgers" like some people seem to think.
gordo97
AG
Nah..... he is coming back
Texags is garbage
I'd expect him to return. Isn't the NBA pretty good about telling a kid if he's even remotely likely to be drafted?

I would be excited for him if he got a solid grade, but I haven't heard much about him in regards to being drafted.
Method Man
I mean he hasn't made enough to buy out Kennedy but he's done ok for himself.
jml2621
Hop said:

ummmm...summer school - before Frosh year, after Frosh year, after Soph year, after Junior year. That's an extra 24 hours+

FEEL THE BUZZ

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.