Is Frank Martin the BK of South Carolina?

4,557 Views | 64 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by wacarnolds
94chem
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Dave Odom took Wake Forest to 11 straight postseasons, including 8 NCAA's, and one NIT championship. He then went to USCe, and went to one NCAA in 7 years, but did win 2 NIT's (back to back, how strange is that?). The point is that USCe is a very difficult place to win with virtually no history. Frank Martin has done a great job.
oldarmy76
Bump. Fell off first page. Um. No
Method Man
Frank is better than any coach in Aggie history.
PaRappa

Quote:

W
AG
what a win for big Frank
cevans_40
AG
Apart from both being human, I see zero similarities between Martin and BK
jml2621
PaRappa said:

Quote:

Amazing run.
SeattleAg05
AG
Great win tonight for USC and coach martin
Aston04
AG
More evidence coaching matters- Mike white to elite 8.. remember he lost a key big earlier this year.
GE
AG
Coaching matters and White is a very good one. It also goes to show the importance of having an experienced and talented team.
CapCityAg89
AG
PaRappa said:

Quote:

Just as a coach? BCG was better (personal demons aside). Shelby was fantastic and would've won even more with more support. Turgeon was better X and O; worse everything else. I'd say Frank T3. T4 possible but I don't know for Dana Bible.
Method Man
Nah Frank is better than all of them. Talking bball.
TyHolden
AG
Method Man said:

Nah Frank is better than all of them. Talking bball.
agreed - he'd have same issues as bcg coaching at uk though. He'd do great here.
Method Man
Yeah I tend to agree with that.
TangoMike
CapCityAg89 said:

PaRappa said:

Quote:

Just as a coach? BCG was better (personal demons aside). Shelby was fantastic and would've won even more with more support. Turgeon was better X and O; worse everything else. I'd say Frank T3. T4 possible but I don't know for Dana Bible.

False on all. Not really close. Gillispie was the closest to Martin. Turgeon is a distant 3rd. Metcalf gets a participation ribbon
Method Man
BCG could've been as good, but....
Deputy Travis Junior
CapCityAg89 said:

Yea, no. Martin's resume crushes all of theirs. He's built 2 Elite Eight teams from the ground up, both at backwater schools. None of the three coaches you mentioned have a single Elite Eight appearance.

Turgeon's offenses are almost as bad as Kennedy's.
jml2621
Method Man said:

BCG could've been as good, but....

...should have remained at A&M. Blue bloods don't like diving on the floor and playing in your face D.

Too many friends like Jim B and Jack D up there as well...
CapCityAg89
AG
Agree to disagree. Martin has never won a championship - tourney or season. The first year he made the elite 8 was as a 2 seed before losing to lower seeded Butler. This year has been really good but like that earlier run, he has had some really talented teams; especially guards, to lead to them.

USC was #200 in offensive efficiency by the way (Maryland 95 and A&M 157 for comparisons). He is a tremendous defensive coach though and so actually looks a lot like BCG and MT. Billy has personal challenges but don't let that confuse how great a coach he was.
Bocephus
AG
SeattleAg05 said:

It was fun watching duke get knocked off last night by another sec team. It got me thinking about Martin's success in his fifth year with a pair of seniors in Notice and Thornwell. Has he built a culture or did he finally win with an experienced team? How long should their fan base be content if they step back next year?

Martin Kenpom Rankings @ USCe
Year 1 - 209 (4-14) No postseason
Year 2 - 112 (5-13) No postseason
Year 3 - 63 (6-12) No postseason
Year 4 - 58 (11-7) NIT 2nd round
Year 5 - 28 (12-6) #7 seed, sweet 16

Kennedy Kenpom Rankings @ A&M
Year 1 - 122 (4-14) No postseason
Year 2 - 95 (7-11) No postseason
Year 3 - 111 (8-10) 2nd Round NIT
Year 4 - 54 (11-7) 2nd Round NIT
Year 5 - 18 (13-5) #3 seed, sweet 16
Year 6 - 65 (8-10) No postseason

Ags went to CBI in year 3
Method Man
CapCityAg89 said:

Agree to disagree. Martin has never won a championship - tourney or season. The first year he made the elite 8 was as a 2 seed before losing to lower seeded Butler. This year has been really good but like that earlier run, he has had some really talented teams; especially guards, to lead to them.

USC was #200 in offensive efficiency by the way (Maryland 95 and A&M 157 for comparisons). He is a tremendous defensive coach though and so actually looks a lot like BCG and MT. Billy has personal challenges but don't let that confuse how great a coach he was.

Never won a championship lol. Who cares?
Method Man
Two elite 8s at two not good programs.
jml2621
Method Man said:

Two elite 8s at two not good programs.

Bill Foster and Dave Odom could do nothing at USCe.
Jimmie Dimmick
Impressive coach that I'd LOVE to have. We've had some good coaches. But no one Martin's caliber.
Bocephus
AG
Jimmie Dimmick said:

Impressive coach that I'd LOVE to have. We've had some good coaches. But no one Martin's caliber.

BCG was better than Martin
TXAggie2011
AG
Wasn't BCG's "championship" a tie with Nevada for the WAC regular season championship, and Nevada technically owned the tiebreaker?

No doubt he did a great job at UTEP but history remembers the NCAA and I'm not sure the moves the dial much, anyways.
TXAggie2011
AG
Quote:

The first year he made the elite 8 was as a 2 seed before losing to lower seeded Butler.

As a 2-seed, and after Butler beat 1-seed Syracuse in the previous round, and after 1-seed Kansas was knocked out in the second round, Frank Martin would only have played teams with a lower seed until the championship game.
Stone44
AG
He wins with lesser talent. His team is never quit. He will make the final four today.
Method Man
Bocephus said:

Jimmie Dimmick said:

BCG was better than Martin

LOL
jeffdjohnson
Kennedy will never make a Final 4 (did that really need to be said?)

Kennedy is borderline comatose on the sideline. His team's don't defend like that. Maybe we will make the NCAAs next year for the 2nd time out of 7 years, so that will be neat I guess. Comparing him to Martin is ridiculous.

Kennedy is a career loser compared to Martin. A&M is a career loser as well, which is probably why we are so comfortable with Kennedy.
wacarnolds
AG
jeffdjohnson said:

Kennedy is a career loser compared to Martin. A&M is a career loser as well, which is probably why we are so comfortable with Kennedy.

Kennedy isn't a loser at recruiting, which is what we need to keep focusing on
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.