Buzz Williams

12,110 Views | 137 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Double Diamond
mallen
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My personal opinion is that Stansbury took the job because it allows him to transition back into coaching while being paid one of the highest assistant salaries in the SEC. I don't believe Kennedy is planning to retire or is being forced to retire. Could Stansbury become head coach at A&M one day? Certainly, but I don't think Kennedy or the AD has planned in advance for this to happen. In addition, this is unlikely to happen if A&M is coming off a disappointing season next year.

If the above is true, why would Stansbury come here?

1) High assistant salary, perhaps with a multi year contract.
2) Feels comfortable with Kennedy and upside to next year's squad.
3) Either didn't have other significant offers or didn't feel good about the offers he did have. The A&M position allows him to transition back to coaching while waiting for better HC positions to come along.
twenty two ags
quote:

Some people have life experiences that lead you view issues in a different light. Someday you too will have them and maybe you'll calm down a bit over a game

someday hopefully we will all have the life experience to be able to brag about not firing a terminally ill cancer patient. again, you should be ashamed.

or, perhaps some of us have the perspective now to see how ridiculous your post was comparing a terminally ill cancer patient who was flat broke with a pretty healthy basketball coach with Parkinsons who has earned 3mil from a&m and will earn another 2mil before he leaves (whether he is fired, resigns, or plays out the string).

[This message has been edited by twenty two ags (edited 6/24/2014 10:11a).]
Pumpkinhead
AG
mallen, I consider myself a pretty reasonable fan, but...

- Stansbury already appears to be a significantly better major conference D1 head coach than Kennedy comparing the resumes of the two men. If the team performs significantly better next season, making the post-season, many fans will probably assume that Stansbury was one of the major reasons.

And if that is the reality of the situation, I just don't see how the AD with a straight face could then let Stansbury eventually walk out of College Station for another head coach position while sticking with Kennedy.

quote:
Either didn't have other significant offers or didn't feel good about the offers he did have. The A&M position allows him to transition back to coaching while waiting for better HC positions to come along.

And I can't imagine that this is the pitch that Stansbury is giving while out on the recruiting trail. That does not seem like the kind of message that is going to give potential recruits a warm fuzzy feeling. I'm skeptical that is what was told to Danuel House and company.

[This message has been edited by Pumpkinhead (edited 6/24/2014 10:53a).]
Clown Question
quote:

My personal opinion is that Stansbury took the job because it allows him to transition back into coaching while being paid one of the highest assistant salaries in the SEC.

Being an assistant for a coach on the hot seat Kennedy who likely has one season left before being fired, is not a better career move to get back into head coaching than taking the Southern Miss HC job.

And we really need to stop with the pity party for Kennedy. He has become a multi-millionaire here, while not doing a good job by any reasonable measure. He has degenerative disease but it is nothing like cancer. If we fired him tomorrow, he would still get close to $2 million more.

That is a completely different situation than a regular guy with cancer.

[This message has been edited by Clown Question (edited 6/24/2014 11:10a).]
mallen
AG
I don't think Stansbury is out on the recruiting trail telling recruits he will be HCIW or even implying that. What message would this send to current players and 2014 incoming recruits who primarily chose A&M because of Kennedy, not Stansbury. I do think he is a good salesman and is selling the potential of the program to recruits but that doesn't mean he is whispering in their ears that if Kennedy goes away, I'll still be here and the AD has my back on this.

Just my opinion.
txag72
AG
Only you 22 would consider that situation as something to brag about. I think his family hated me at the end, they certainly never had any words of appreciation for his spending his last months at work. And of course you have to always move the goal posts on any point that anyone makes.

I'm not sure of the comparison of cancer to parkinsons, I guess it's quality vs. quantity to some extent. However, sitting in an office alone isn't quite the same as one of the highest profile jobs in America with your performance diagnosed hourly by fanatics carrying a disease that stress is a highly negative contributor to.

Sorry, but "get her done" just isn't my way of handling this situation, so yea, I can see how the Stansbury situation could play into it nicely from all 3 parties view points.
mallen
AG
Is it 100% verified that Stansbury was offered a job from Southern Miss? My understanding is that his name surfaced for the job but he denied interest. This either means he wasn't offered the job or he saw something about the job he didn't like and wanted to wait for better HC opportunities.
Method Man
quote:
Is it 100% verified that Stansbury was offered a job from Southern Miss? My understanding is that his name surfaced for the job but he denied interest. This either means he wasn't offered the job or he saw something about the job he didn't like and wanted to wait for better HC opportunities.
mallen denying it, jml. Need any more proof?
wacarnolds
AG
quote:
this discussion makes my head hurt.

But doesn't the ridiculousness perfectly sum up the state of the program right now.
Method Man
quote:
Is it 100% verified that Stansbury was offered a job from Southern Miss?
Is anything ever 100% verified?
Pumpkinhead
AG
quote:
This either means he wasn't offered the job or he saw something about the job he didn't like and wanted to wait for better HC opportunities.

Hard to believe Doc Sadler was higher on Southern Miss's list than Stansbury.

It seems safe to assume that Stansbury liked the assistant coach position at A&M more than he liked the HC position at Southern Miss.
twenty two ags
it would be nice if brent would ask kennedy and hyman about the HCIW and planned step down rumors. they would obviously deny them, but hyman is so inept in the media that i bet whatever insane response he gave would give us sh*t to argue about for the next 3 weeks, and punchlines to use for the next 6 months.
viva torrente
It is nice to see the AD's useful idiots (mallen and tx72ag) making any appearance on this thread.

Stansbury would be a good hire for us. I would love to see BK step down and let Stansbury have this upcoming season but I am certain we will have to endure BK's incompetence for at least another year. I just hope Stansbury can mute it somewhat.

I think the Stansbury hire is some haphazard attempt by our AD to fix basketball without actually fixing basketball by firing BK.

Anybody who thinks that Stansbury's best option to get back into coaching was to take an assistant job with a terrible coach who will likely be fired is stupid enough to work for our AD (and they probably do).

And please quit comparing a PD-afflicted coach (who is supposedly fine according to all the AD spinmeisters) who is a multimillionaire with a guaranteed contract to some working stiff with cancer. They are not even remotely related. BK needs to win and is terrible at it. 99% of college basketball programs strive to win. Only with our out of touch and incompetent AD, is winning not important.

[This message has been edited by viva torrente (edited 6/24/2014 2:29p).]
Ben Diamond
Prior to the 06/07 season Stansbury was 164/190 in eight years.
viva torrente
Where are you getting those numbers? All I can find on Stansbury is his time at Miss State and he did not go 164-190 during that time. He didn't even coach that many games.

He had one losing recording during his first eight years there and one .500 record. He averaged 20 wins a year there during that time.

[This message has been edited by viva torrente (edited 6/24/2014 4:42p).]
agfan1030
293-165 @ MsSt 1998-2012
122 - 102 conf
according to wiki
only position as head coach
Method Man
quote:
Prior to the 06/07 season Stansbury was 164/190 in eight years.
arbitrary year?
LawHall88
AG
I think he was 164-90 during the eight years mentioned.

Also, he is undefeated in the games he didn't lose, but winless in the games he didn't win.
Pumpkinhead
AG
I would prefer Buzz, but I would hire Stansbury if I had a choice between him or Turgeon.
txag72
AG
Geez why can't people get the point of a story......point being I understand the predicament Hyman is in and I respect him from not just throwing BK out without at least coming close to fulfilling his contract.
twenty two ags
quote:
I could have just fired him for not being able to do the work and taking up the position for many months. I could have "just gotten done with it". Is that what you would do?

you probably shouldn't have ended your lesson with this little passive aggressive jab then.

also, whether BK coaches zero more games, or the next 2 years, we will fulfill his contract. he is going to get paid every penny promised to him in his contract. in the end it will be around $5mil.

[This message has been edited by twenty two ags (edited 6/24/2014 6:52p).]
viva torrente
quote:
Geez why can't people get the point of a story......point being I understand the predicament Hyman is in and I respect him from not just throwing BK out without at least coming close to fulfilling his contract.

You do not understand the predicament hyman is in because the situations are not remotely similar. If hyman thinks like you, our AD is in much worse shape than I thought.

BK is already a millionaire with a guaranteed contract. He does not have cancer. If he was fired, he still gets his contract. He has been paid over $3 million dollars while doing a horrible job.

Only a dumbass would think firing him was some cruel act and only a bigger dumbass would think it was a good thing to keep him around.
Method Man
^I agree with this, but that doesn't mean someone would not sue.
viva torrente
quote:

Anybody can sue. BK wouldn't have a case as long as we followed the terms of his contract for termination.

If our leaders didn't fire a lousy coach because we afraid that he might bring forth an incredibly weak and frivolous lawsuit, then our leaders do not have the stones to run a major AD.

I think our leaders just did not have the will to do anything because they do not care enough to do so. BK could have been bought off, if someone was willing to do so.

I think the powers that be realize not canning BK was a mistake and the hiring of Stansbury is some sort of weird attempt rectify it. Stansbury is a good coach and would be at worst a decent hire. If somehow he just pops into the position by the end of the year, it could be positively spun by the AD. I think he should just take over now but that is the AD for you.
Method Man
Agree again. Just saying I have heard it from
Several people that know a little bit.
wacarnolds
AG
quote:
I would prefer Buzz, but I would hire Stansbury if I had a choice between him or Turgeon.

The legend of Stansbury is growing more and more impressive each day.

I'm just curious why a guy that is such a great coach never found a way out of Starkville over 15 years.
mikesyracuse1
Now it's a migraine!

mikesyracuse1
jml2621

Doh. I was right. Thank you.

Have you ever seen Southern Miss?

I don't believe Stansbury was that attached to the state of Mississippi. If you're not from there what would you be? Miss State was a great job for him...

Now he'd like to be in the game.

quote:

Method Man
quote:
Is it 100% verified that Stansbury was offered a job from Southern Miss? My understanding is that his name surfaced for the job but ****he denied interest****. This either means he wasn't offered the job or he saw something about the job he didn't like and wanted to wait for better HC opportunities.
mallen denying it, jml. Need any more proof?

jml2621
Are you this dumb?

Imagine a native Texan from the DFW area, went to Baylol, Coached at TCU. If they took a job in STARKville and yeah it went fine...would they call Mississippi their home state? and take a crap job at a rinky dink school in that state?

Stansbury is a smart man. He understands that an AC with a weak HC at A&M in a major conference with major resources is still better than Hattiesburg in a state plumb out of $$.

quote:

Method Man

quote:
yeah. Except for being the born in, played in, and coached in Kentucky part!
Are you intentionally this obtuse?

He lives in Miss and his family lives there and could get a guaranteed four year contract in that state rather than uproot them. You have to be trolling.

[This message has been edited by jml2621 (edited 6/24/2014 11:53p).]
jml2621

quote:

Method Man

jml2621
Hattiesburg wasn't available. Oh, wait.

quote:
I'm just curious why a guy that is such a great coach never found a way out of Starkville over 15 years.
Expert Analysis
AG
I'll keep taking us further off topic since there is noting else to talk about...
quote:

I have no idea how my post even led you to your story. you are talking apples and oranges, unless your employee was making 7 figures, and you were making less than him, and he was the man in charge of a 10 million dollar unit of your business, and if your employee took the job knowing that performance to a certain level was required and was factored into the contract he got, and if your employee would have received 2 years of salary if you had fired him, and if your employees salary and all of his assistants salaries were paid for by donors/fans who can take their money elsewhere.

I really wouldn't have a problem if they reassigned him somewhere else in the athletic department to make him earn his buyout. His performance is not adequate to be the HC.
viva torrente
quote:

Agree again. Just saying I have heard it from
Several people that know a little bit.

Our lawyers should know that any suit would be frivolous. Trust me I have been involved in these types of cases, not as a lawyer but close enough to know how the law works. BK could sue but any suit would not make it very far. It would be a waste of time and resources on his part, if we just followed the terms of the contract.

However, if someone in our AD said/did something stupid to him in regards to his disease (quite possible knowing how it operates), then it is another ball game.

BK has done an awful job here and he knows it. If BK is such an ingrate that he is threatening to sue if we fire him and honor the terms of the contract, then I have no sympathy for him at all, PD or not.
Pumpkinhead
AG
quote:

Hard to know for sure what offers a coach has actually turned down, but he apparently could have taken a HC job at Clemson in 2010.

http://www.wspa.com/story/21475067/mississippi-states-stansbury-turns-down-clemson

The guy had a pretty decent winning percentage and made the NCAA tourney 6 times at MISSISSIPPI STATE.

quote:
Taking over the helm as the Bulldogs head coach in 1998, Stansbury led his team to post-season tournament play eleven times in fourteen seasons (six NCAA and five NIT tournaments), with five consecutive post-season tournament appearances, the first MSU basketball coach in history to accomplish this feat. His 2001-02 MSU team compiled the most wins in a single season in school history (27). Also achieved the highest National Ranking in school history 2003-04, #2 in the country (finished 26-4). Stansbury also owns MSU's record for consecutive 20-win seasons with four from 2001–05 and again from 2006-10.

Yes, if I had a choice between Stansbury or Turgeon, I would lean towards Stansbury. He has as many NCAA appearances as Turge and he took Mississippi State one year to a #2 national ranking...again, not a powerhouse basketball school but Mississippi State. He has a nice recruiting resume as well.

I personally like Buzz or Pearl before Stansbury, but Stansbury appears to be a good coach. There is no 'growing the legend' here. It is what it is. The guy has a solid coaching resume who had some pretty decent success at...wait for it...MISSISSIPPI STATE.

[This message has been edited by Pumpkinhead (edited 6/25/2014 8:59a).]
jml2621
Clemson was a sideways move and more challenging to finish within the top half of the conference as an ACC school.

Not so bad challenging for # 3 behind UF and KY. That's the reason Stansbury wants back in the SEC game.

quote:

Hard to know for sure what offers a coach has actually turned down, but he apparently could have taken a HC job at Clemson in 2010.

http://www.wspa.com/story/21475067/mississippi-states-stansbury-turns-down-clemson

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.