Buzz Williams

12,020 Views | 137 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Double Diamond
Method Man
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Was that 100% confirmed? I mean 100%?
Method Man
Assistant coach at A&M > HC at Clemson
wacarnolds
AG
quote:
Yes, if I had a choice between Stansbury or Turgeon, I would lean towards Stansbury. He has as many NCAA appearances as Turge and he took Mississippi State one year to a #2 national ranking...again, not a powerhouse basketball school but Mississippi State. He has a nice recruiting resume as well.

That same team flamed out right away in the SEC tournament and got blown out as a 2-seed by a 7-seed in 2nd round of the NCAA tournament.

I don't question that Stansbury will be a better recruiter here than Turgeon was while at A&M (but not as good as Turgeon at Maryland) because he seems shady. And he has earned higher seeds than Turgeon. But he has also had some really bad teams and presided over a mess of a program before being let go at Mississippi State.
Pumpkinhead
AG
wac, if you like Turge better than Stansbury, that is cool. I don't blame you. I'm just stating my own personal opinion that I'd go with Stansbury. Maybe it is because I am more familiar with Turge pros/cons than Stansbury and would rather try out something new on the menu if I had a choice between him or having Turge back here again. Their resumes seem such that you could probably argue who is 'better' either way and have good points. They both appear to be good, not great but solid, coaches.

[This message has been edited by Pumpkinhead (edited 6/25/2014 12:58p).]
twenty two ags
agree that their resumes are pretty similar. interesting though, that if given the choice, you would take the guy who missed the dance nearly 60% of the time at MSU instead of the guy who never missed the NCAAT at A&M.
Pumpkinhead
AG
quote:
you would take the guy who missed the dance nearly 60% of the time at MSU instead of the guy who never missed the NCAAT at A&M.

Yeah, I would. As I said, maybe would have wanted a change to something new after already having experienced Turgeon. I like Turge but he has also missed the dance himself as a head coach so it isn't like he doesn't know how to do that despite going 4-0 in that regard at A&M. He is currently 0-3 making the NCAA at Maryland. And if Turgeon had coached 14 consecutive seasons at A&M like Stansbury did at MSU instead of just 4 seasons, I doubt his NCAA appearance percentage would have stayed at 100%.

I get posters who maybe would prefer Turgeon though. I do think Stansbury might be a better recruiter here, but if a poster wants to argue for Turge I can totally see their point.

Main thing is, Stansbury looks like he would be a solid HC hire who could get us into the NCAA. If he did it in Starksville, then he could do that in College Station.

[This message has been edited by Pumpkinhead (edited 6/25/2014 1:51p).]
bendover
HCIW theory is believable, but if it is true, then it means we have a terrible AD. Why would you lock yourself into something like that a year before you had to? Stansbury is not such a great hire that you would give up on any possible better hires a year before the choice had to be made. Not to mention passing on Buzz and Pearl when you already knew you were going to make a change the next season. And Stansbury wasn't in danger of taking at head job this year. He would've still been available a year later.

Who knows who would be on the market next year at the end of the season. If our AD is locking us down with Stansbury, the he is worse than I thought. I don't think Hyman is that bad, so I don't buy the HCIW. Maybe an informal audition?

[This message has been edited by Bendover (edited 6/28/2014 5:14p).]
Method Man
"Why would you lock yourself into something like that a year before you had to?"

Keep recruiting class. Smoother transition. I agree Buzz and Pearl are better but I like Stansbury.
txag72
AG
quote:
Why would you lock yourself into something like that a year before you had to?

I've never said we were locked into anything and I don't believe Method or PH have either. In fact at least I have given scenarios where I don't believe the option would happen.
jml2621
Stansbury was head coach of a winning program in 2010, dumbkopf.

The offseason. smh

quote:

Method Man

Assistant coach at A&M > HC at Clemson
Tango Mike
quote:
quote:
you would take the guy who missed the dance nearly 60% of the time at MSU instead of the guy who never missed the NCAAT at A&M.

Yeah, I would. As I said, maybe would have wanted a change to something new after already having experienced Turgeon. I like Turge but he has also missed the dance himself as a head coach so it isn't like he doesn't know how to do that despite going 4-0 in that regard at A&M. He is currently 0-3 making the NCAA at Maryland. And if Turgeon had coached 14 consecutive seasons at A&M like Stansbury did at MSU instead of just 4 seasons, I doubt his NCAA appearance percentage would have stayed at 100%.

I get posters who maybe would prefer Turgeon though. I do think Stansbury might be a better recruiter here, but if a poster wants to argue for Turge I can totally see their point.

Main thing is, Stansbury looks like he would be a solid HC hire who could get us into the NCAA. If he did it in Starksville, then he could do that in College Station.

[This message has been edited by Pumpkinhead (edited 6/25/2014 1:51p).]

This is pretty dishonest intellectually. You're extrapolating Turgeon's last three years as evidence he would have missed the tournament at A&M, but you're glossing over the fact that Stansbury only made it once in his last four/twice in his last 6 years.

We all know (except a few idiots) that Kennedy is awful, but I would be shocked if anyone would have been pumped to have hired Stansbury in 2011 before Kennedy wrecked our expectations. He's certainly better than Kennedy, but the second half of his HC career was a lot of scandal coupled with a lot of "meh" results
Pumpkinhead
AG
Stansbury would have been a decent hire for a school like Texas A&M in 2011 IMO. Don't see why not.

Don't know why somebody is 'dishonest intellectually' for having an opinion. Turgeon was a good coach at A&M and I said I totally understand other posters points on comparing Turgeon's overall resume to Stansbury's.

It does not really matter. Stansbury is now in pole position to be the next coach so we will see how that goes.
twenty two ags
most of PH's stuff is intellectually dishonest with a little "aww shucks" thrown in.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Why is that twenty two? Would you like me to stop posting here?

On this thread, I have said my opinion that I like Buzz or Pearl more, but if I had a choice between Stans or Turge, I would lean towards Stansbury. But I understand arguments the other way.

If you got a beef with me personally how about just send a PM? You have called me a liar and dishonest scoundrel at least twice on this thread alone so maybe you have a bee up your butt about something I said to ya once

[This message has been edited by Pumpkinhead (edited 6/29/2014 4:18p).]
Ben Diamond
Stansbury isn't nearly as awesome as some of you make him out to be.
Pumpkinhead
AG
His overall resume appears to be much better than Kennedy LOVER. So there is at least that.

I will wait and see what he does here. what else can I do as a fan? Just start already being pessimistic for the next few years cause we ended up with Stansbury instead of Buzz? What is the point of that?

[This message has been edited by Pumpkinhead (edited 6/29/2014 4:25p).]
jml2621
I actually think Stansbury would have been a very good follow-up to Turgeon in 2011. Stansbury is an excellent big man coach and could have developed Ray Turner, Loubeau, and Roberson to where the run of NCAAT bids would have continued...possibly 2 of the last 3 years... and a shot at the B12 during our last year in the conference per Coaches' prediction

. I think he would have handled Middleton well also, and got Khris that late lotto spot predicted by DraftExpress.

quote:
Pumpkinhead

Stansbury would have been a decent hire for a school like Texas A&M in 2011 IMO. Don't see why not.

Don't know why somebody is 'dishonest intellectually' for having an opinion. Turgeon was a good coach at A&M and I said I totally understand other posters points on comparing Turgeon's overall resume to Stansbury's.

It does not really matter. Stansbury is now in pole position to be the next coach so we will see how that goes.
jml2621
Agreed - Not awesome, but solid and probably at least Turgeon level.

Obviously, the best scenarios this year were Buzz and Pearl. Next year, I still like Michael White. I don't subscribe to HCIW by any intent or plan...but Stansbury would be set to throw his name into the ring...

quote:

Ben Diamond

Stansbury isn't nearly as awesome as some of you make him out to be.
Method Man
Don you subscribe to Michael White is waiting for Ole Miss and if he passed up UTenn, he will probably pass on us?
Ben Diamond
If White is waiting on Ole Miss I feel bad for him. Dead end job.
Pumpkinhead
AG
If White had a choice between A&M and Ole Miss jobs...I would put my money on Ole Miss. It is the guy's alma mater and A&M is not a top tier basketball job either.
Ben Diamond
A&M is a much better job. The only reason it's not dramatically better is it doesn't want to be. Ole Miss has always struggled, and doesn't have a recruiting base it can lean on.
Method Man
Neither is top tier but one is his alma mater
Pumpkinhead
AG
Isn't White's wife an Ole Miss grad as well?

[This message has been edited by Pumpkinhead (edited 6/30/2014 6:11a).]
Hickory High
AG
Dang this thread is long.

All I'll say is if we do hire Stansbury next year, I've been told by an AAU guy that we'll have a legitimate shot at Malik Newman

[This message has been edited by Hickory High (edited 6/30/2014 9:58a).]
Pumpkinhead
AG
quote:
All I'll say is if we do hire Stansbury next year, I've been told by an AAU guy that we'll have a legitimate shot at Malik Newman

Hickory, did you not even bother to read this way too long thread!?! We have already hired Stansbury damn't! If you go to the aggie athletics website, you'll see his photo right there smiling!

[This message has been edited by Pumpkinhead (edited 6/30/2014 10:54a).]
Method Man
I still love Buzz and I still like stansbury.
HUDAT361
Method Man said:

I still love Buzz and I still like stansbury.
didn't stansbury burn ditch us to become HC and took a 5* 7' recruit with him to western KY?
Method Man
Not exactly. He got a job offer as a HC after what I can assume being disappointed over not taking over for a coach whose job he basically saved. Also, all's fair in recruiting. Supposedly, he went to Kennedy and mentioned the offer and Kennedy told him to walk. Was told BK didn't like Stan getting credit for his wins.
Method Man
ConLaw said:

Buss Williams is awesome.

Buzz is not coming to A&M.

You have any other awesome stories about guys who are not going to coach at A&M?

I have some.
Method Man
Method Man said:

Some of y'all are just *****es to be *****es. Stansbury is a good coach and will be the next HC.

You idiot!
JJxvi
AG
The hilarious thing in hindsight about the "Stansbury is HCIW hired by the AD" theory is that if it were true it would literally be the only thing Hyman ever did as AD.
Aston04
AG
Getting stressed even going back to reading this thread.

So glad we have Buzz.
Double Diamond
Was always a believer in Buzz Williams could be hired by Texas A&M. Simply had to stop thinking small.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.