Buzz Williams

12,108 Views | 137 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Double Diamond
Clown Question
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I think the Stansbury situation works best if the AD knows there is a good chance Kennedy is going to have another health flair up or the AD is willing to fire Kennedy midseason.

I like Stansbury as a coaching prospect but I am not sure it is great to let him sit as an assistant on another failing Kennedy team just to let him take over at the end of the season. I think it would be hard to sell to the rank and file fans (if there are any left).

I have to think there is something going on here that we do not know about. I do not think Kennedy makes to the end of the season for either health or record reasons.
txag72
AG
^
Why I swore I'd never converse with him again.
Clown Question
What's your problem? My opinion is just as valid as anything you have posted.

[This message has been edited by Clown Question (edited 6/23/2014 9:54a).]
txag72
AG
no no clown, you snuck your post in just before mine. Was referring to 22 and confirming what Pumpkin was saying about 22's never ending search for "truth" and reasons for anyone else's opinion. Sorry.
85AustinAg
AG
I'm just not seeing much here to get excited about regarding Stansbury.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/college/mensbasketball/sec/story/2012-03-15/stansbury-mississippi-state/53552400/1
Expert Analysis
AG
For Stansbury to be HCIW at least 3 things would need to be true.
1)He wants to be the HC here, completely possible
2)Kennedy is OK hiring him to be the HCIW and has a plan to step down in the very near future, and Stansbury is cool with this. This is doubtful as I don't think there is any reason for BK to be looking to hand the reigns to anyone else especially someone with no ties to him or the program like Stansbury.
3) Hyman would need to be OK with Stansbury as the HC, which would make this assistant hire a joint effort between him and Kennedy. Again I don't see this as a possibility. Why keep your lame duck coach and hire a HCIW, when you could have just hired him as the HC... There is no continuity in the program as it is and making another coaching change in a year or two will only make it worse. Should have just cleaned house this year...
twenty two ags
exactly.
#1 is completely believable.

nobody is able to answer #2 or #3.
LeFraud
quote:
in terms of how Stansbury's hire could be perceived as a potential 'win' for all parties (Hyman, Kennedy, Stansbury). Not sure what more you are looking for

Oh its a win alright, but what about the most important party, you know, the actual men's basketball program?

Pump up the jam
Pumpkinhead
AG
quote:

There has been lots of speculating on the reasons for #2 and #3 both in this thread and in premium. You may of course not agree with the speculation, which is fine, but several different posters have offered possible reasons.
Pumpkinhead
AG
quote:
Why keep your lame duck coach and hire a HCIW, when you could have just hired him as the HC... There is no continuity in the program as it is and making another coaching change in a year or two will only make it worse.

One reason is because it is cheaper to do it this way in the short-term, if Stansbury is fine being an assistant coach for a year or two. No having to hire a new guy who will almost certainly be more expensive than Kennedy. No buyout of Kennedy's last 2 years or firing a coach with Parkinsons with 2 remaining years. Less rocking of the boat while the primary focus remains on football, finishing Kyle Field, and waiting for the new SEC TV deal and playoff money to start kicking in.

Posters who think it is unlikely that Stansbury will be HC within a couple of years...why do you feel that way? Do you see Kennedy more likely getting a contract extension instead at the end of next season? Do you see Kennedy and the entire staff more likely all getting fired at the end of next season?

Do you really think Stansbury, Kennedy, and Hyman never once had conversations about Kennedy's situation and there being a possible door for Stansbury to ultimately move into the HC position when Stansbury was considering taking the job? I personally think that is unlikely. If we are talking about it, then they were probably talking about it.

[This message has been edited by Pumpkinhead (edited 6/23/2014 1:50p).]
Pumpkinhead
AG
quote:
Oh its a win alright, but what about the most important party, you know, the actual men's basketball program?

Stansbury appears to be a good SEC level head coach, so that *might* be a win for the basketball program next season versus just keeping the status quo with Cyp, if he can co-exist with Kennedy reasonably. We'll see.

I totally agree with posters who think we should have just cleaned house. That is what I would have personally preferred. Hire Buzz Williams. Would have generated more fan excitement.

Since we didn't get that, at least there was this change to Stansbury. Which *might* work out okay. There are no guarantees in anything.

[This message has been edited by Pumpkinhead (edited 6/23/2014 1:51p).]
Clown Question
quote:

We probably won't know the answer until we wake up one day and Kennedy has resigned for medical reasons or has been fired, and Stansbury has taken over.

I think the least likely outcome is that there is some gentle transition where Kennedy has a great season and rides off into the sunset leaving Stansbury to take over.

twenty two ags
quote:
There has been lots of speculating on the reasons for #2 and #3 both in this thread and in premium

no, what you have done is attempt to answer #2 and #3 by "speculating" with 3 or 4 different scattershot answers at once - you usually start them with "i dont know what hyman was thinking, maybe he was thinking this, or maybe he was thinking that, or maybe he was thinking this+that." What has been asked but has not been answered by pumpkin here (or by staff on premium) is what you ACTUALLY believe happened with the stansbury hire. you post thousands of words about YOUR conclusions about how things went down from the Stansbury perspective. why do you keep refusing to answer the requests for how YOU think this went down on the Hyman/Kennedy side? not all of the different possible scenarios. but how YOU believe it happened.

[This message has been edited by twenty two ags (edited 6/23/2014 1:58p).]
Method Man
quote:
I'm just not seeing much here to get excited about regarding Stansbury.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/college/mensbasketball/sec/story/2012-03-15/stansbury-mississippi-state/53552400/1
9th winningest coach in sec history? Has brought us a 5 star transfer? You probably hated Turge too.
Pumpkinhead
AG
quote:
why do you keep refusing to answer the requests for how YOU think this went down on the Hyman/Kennedy side?

Not sure why you care so much about trying to get me to answer specifically in the way that you want an answer? This is the off-season, it is TexAgs, and speculating about the Stansbury hire is one of the more interesting things going on right now.

My opinion on the hire is specifically this:

a) Stansbury is a better head coach than Kennedy (he damn sure has a better resume). He looks like he would be a solid hire by A&M as a HC if we decided to go that route.

b) I will be *moderately* surprised if Kennedy gets an extension of his initial 5-year contract.

c) I will be *moderately* surprised if Stansbury is not our head coach 2 seasons from now (perhaps earlier).

d) I am pretty skeptical that this particular 'Elephant in the room' was never discussed at least at some level between Kennedy/Hyman/Stansbury before Stansbury agreed to take the job.

I don't know any details of what exactly has happened. My opinions above are mostly based on all the speculation of the circumstances that I have typed in other posts.

The fact that some people like Sandhop seem to be hinting at 'more to the story', and a recruit like Danuel House committed to A&M instead of LSU despite initial stated concerns of coaching staff stability, just fuels my suspicions.

If this somehow makes me a 'lying jerk' in your eyes, then so be it. I've answered your questions of my opinions and speculative thoughts the best I can.

[This message has been edited by Pumpkinhead (edited 6/23/2014 2:47p).]
txag72
AG
But what do you REALLY think?
Clown Question
I do not think it is opinion to state that Stansbury is a better coach than Kennedy. That is pretty apparent by any observable metric. I like the idea of a Stansbury era here, I just wish it would be here much sooner rather than later.
Expert Analysis
AG
quote:
Do you really think Stansbury, Kennedy, and Hyman never once had conversations about Kennedy's situation and there being a possible door for Stansbury to ultimately move into the HC position when Stansbury was considering taking the job? I personally think that is unlikely. If we are talking about it, then they were probably talking about it.

I would hope they never had this conversation for the reasons I listed in #2 and #3. If your talking about it, why not just get done with it. Kennedy's buyout is way less than lost revenue and years lost with a bad team and the impact on recruiting. Stansbury may be thinking this but if our current head coach is talking about it, that is a bad sign. If our AD is talking about it behind Kennedy's back that is an even worse sign.
Pumpkinhead
AG
quote:
and years lost with a bad team and the impact on recruiting.

If Stansbury is recruiting fine (so far so good with 5-star House in first month on job) and he is able to make a real impact on team performance next season from an assistant position (TBD) facing much more difficult schedule that previous years then this issue is perhaps somewhat mitigated.
mikesyracuse1
this discussion makes my head hurt.

mikesyracuse1
txag72
AG
quote:
If your talking about it, why not just get done with it

I once had an employee who worked under me that had cancer. He fought it for 10 years, going into remission, then showing back up. He finally ran out of all sick leave and vacation but kept coming to work although all he could do was sit there in pain as he needed the salary and medical insurance. One day the paramedics had to carry him out on a stretcher. He died a few days later.

I wish he could have gotten well. I wish we could have just payed him to stay home. I wish I could have hired someone to do his work while he was taking up the position.

I could have just fired him for not being able to do the work and taking up the position for many months. I could have "just gotten done with it". Is that what you would do?
jml2621

I'd suscribe to Occam's Razor here. Feelers from both Kennedy and Stansbury. Stansbury was looking to get back the in biz, and BK needed an x's and o's guy, particularly for young forwards and bigs.

I think Stansbury will be working somewhere in the SEC in 2015-2016 regardless what happens. He's too good of a coach.

It's possible once on campus, BMAs and Hyman had a chat about contingencies for a transition if the situation and opportunity dictated... I don't think it's reasonable to assume this is a primary end game... and that if BK is fired a full national search (hopefully with Johnny's money phone as collateral), WILL take place.

Stansbury would have a competitive record.

quote:
Pumpkinhead

jml, I actually agree with much of your last post. I am personally suspicious that there is a HCIW door that is now open, but whether the situation is formal or informal I don't have any sort of guess on really.

Don't even care really whether that is the case or not. As I have said, regardless of what happens to Kennedy, I'll just be somewhat surprised if Stansbury is not still on the A&M bench in the 2015-2016 season.
jml2621
So here's what could be going on.

1. Stansbury was simply an opportunistic hire.

2. Although BMAs told Hyman (who's on a short leash after the football suspension fiasco of last fall) initially to give BK one last chance.

3. BMAs were beginning to regret that decision, particularly after our laughable performance against Illinois State, and the unceremonious canning of Coach Cyp. I think character issues are now coming to the forefront.

4. There may be some water cooler talk about how nice it might be if we magically switched places between Stansbury and BK.

I don't think it goes much farther than that unless we sputter or collapse finishing 0.500 in the league or lower.
Method Man
Yes because being an assistant for a HC on the hot seat with Parkinson's is a much better opportunity than being HC for Southern Miss in said coach's home state.
wacarnolds
AG
quote:
quote:
If your talking about it, why not just get done with it

I once had an employee who worked under me that had cancer. He fought it for 10 years, going into remission, then showing back up. He finally ran out of all sick leave and vacation but kept coming to work although all he could do was sit there in pain as he needed the salary and medical insurance. One day the paramedics had to carry him out on a stretcher. He died a few days later.

I wish he could have gotten well. I wish we could have just payed him to stay home. I wish I could have hired someone to do his work while he was taking up the position.

I could have just fired him for not being able to do the work and taking up the position for many months. I could have "just gotten done with it". Is that what you would do?

Lol
LeFraud
quote:
for Southern Miss in said coach's home state

Southern Miss is in Kentucky, who knew?
Method Man
"I don't think it's reasonable to assume this is a primary end game."

I think it's the only reasonable assumption.
wacarnolds
AG
quote:
"I don't think it's reasonable to assume this is a primary end game."

I think it's the only reasonable assumption.

Careful what you're assuming when talking about the A&M basketball program.
Method Man
I know, I know.
jml2621
yeah. Except for being the born in, played in, and coached in Kentucky part!

Stansbury would like to the an SEC coach, not a CUSA without Memphis coach. Heck, even East Carolina has left CUSA which is on its way from a high mid-major to one bid the way they are going.

quote:

Yes because being an assistant for a HC on the hot seat with Parkinson's is a much better opportunity than being HC for Southern Miss in said coach's home state.
twenty two ags
quote:

you should be ashamed of yourself for using your subordinate's cancer death and your "patience" with not firing him as a way to try and shame ExpertAnalysis for suggesting that billy kennedy should be let go by hyman.
jml2621
Yeah, I thought we've been lectured that PD would not unduly affect BK.

Now it's the same as cancer?
Method Man
quote:
yeah. Except for being the born in, played in, and coached in Kentucky part!
Are you intentionally this obtuse?

He lives in Miss and his family lives there and could get a guaranteed four year contract in that state rather than uproot them. You have to be trolling.
Clown Question
quote:

Yes because being an assistant for a HC on the hot seat with Parkinson's is a much better opportunity than being HC for Southern Miss in said coach's home state

This.

Stansbury is not stupid. He doesn't come here unless he gets first shot at the job.

The only reason he doesn't is if the season is a disaster (more so than the past three) and if it becomes that bad, Kennedy will be fired mid-season and Stansbury will take over.

Frankly, I have a feeling it is a case of Hyman/BMAs realizing they made a mistake in keeping Kennedy and this is their way to try to rectify it.
txag72
AG
quote:
you should be ashamed of yourself for using your subordinate's cancer death and your "patience" with not firing him as a way to try and shame ExpertAnalysis for suggesting that billy kennedy should be let go by hyman.

Some people have life experiences that lead you view issues in a different light. Someday you too will have them and maybe you'll calm down a bit over a game.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.