************tu yell-- "watermelon rind" thread***************

27,686 Views | 289 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Agsttt
Aston04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
EDIT: BATT ARTICLE ON THIS...

Aggies coordinate 'watermelon yell' for Wednesday's UT basketball game
By: Jonathan Luu

As the men's basketball game against the University of Texas approaches, four Texas A&M students, including junior agriculture communications major Chris Shepperd and freshmen industrial engineering major Jose Velez, are coordinating to implement a temporary yell.

The inspiration for the yell came from a discussion on Texags.com, an Aggie fan Web site featuring forums about a "watermelon" quote made by Texas basketball Head Coach Rick Barnes after 2007's game at Reed Arena. Texas A&M won the game, 100-82.

"[Reed Arena] wasn't the loudest place I've ever been," Barnes said in a Longhorn Insider article on MySanAntonio.com.

"[Yells] went out in junior high," he said. "What's next? 'Watermelon, watermelon, watermelon rind. Look at the score board to see who's behind'?"

"I saw people talking about his watermelon quote and asking what we should do about it. So we decided to take his joke and yell it right back at him," Shepperd said. "We were tossing around ideas and hoping that we can create an opportunity to show Barnes just how loud we can be, despite the fact that we started planning things out two days before the game."

The four students decided to meet after exchanging several messages online. They made plans, designed fliers and created a Facebook group to market the yell.

"Everybody knows it is not official unless it is on Facebook. Once we created the Facebook group, everything seemed to spawn from that," Shepperd said. "We also plan to distribute approximately 6,000 fliers prior to the t.u. game and will be releasing a public service announcement on Texas A&M's KANM[-FM] student radio."

Coordinators plan to execute the yell when the game is ending, if A&M is confident in securing a win. If the condition is set, fans are expected to pass back the "horns down" sign prior to the yell.

Fans are hesitant to perform the yell because of the possibility of creating a tradition. However, the yell is intended only for the Wednesday game.

"We are not trying to start any new traditions," Shepperd said. "This is only a one-time thing. I am all about Old Army, but I think this is a unique opportunity to have a little clean fun. What better opponent than t.u.?"

http://media.www.thebatt.com/media/storage/paper657/news/2008/01/30/News/Aggies.Coordinate.watermelon.Yell.For.Wednesdays.Ut.Basketball.Game-3176397.shtml

------
Are we doing the "watermelon rind" yell for Barnes??

I don't remember the specific words to it.. But I think it would be cool.

[This message has been edited by Aston04 (edited 1/30/2008 1:16p).]
kevinmw55
Watermelon, watermelon, watermelon rhine, look at the scoreboard and see who's behind.
CeauxReaux
Aston04
AG
For those that don't remember--

---
We here at the Insider have first-hand knowledge that Reed Arena positively rocked on Monday night, as No. 6 Texas A&M dealt the Texas basketball team a 100-82 defeat in front of a rollicking record crowd.

We know, because our ears are still ringing. We sat in front of the Aggies pep band all night, maybe 15 feet from Gov. Rick Perry, and awoke Tuesday morning in serious need of some Tylenol. And maybe a nap.

One person unimpressed by the atmosphere was UT coach Rick Barnes.

"It wasn't the loudest place I've ever been," he said with a shrug.

Barnes also seemed a bit blasé about the Aggies' (in)famous yells, some of which, he says, "went out in junior high."

"What's next?" Barnes asked, before breaking into an old-school chant of his own:

"Watermelon, watermelon, watermelon rind/Look at the scoreboard and see who's behind?"

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/football/stories/MYSA02062007.WEBlonghornsinsider.en.58a6c732.html
Jet1085T
Aston04
AG
Reed Rowdies will need to coordinate this. What say you Rowdies?
Ornithopter
AG
Wait until the game is the bag to do this though. I'd hate to jinx everything.
Palooza11
AG
do the rowdies exist? everyone has a shirt
bketrick
AG
Ags there HAVE to do this!
Aston04
AG
bump. official thread.
jsb529
AG
Make this happen students!!!!
Palooza11
AG
how do we do this? not every student logs on texags and the yell leaders dont know
Palooza11
AG
BTHO t.u!!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=QGEaYCP7dXE&feature=PlayList&p=36076CDD4109DB22&index=7
johncAG
AG
flyers?
johncAG
AG
flyers?
Farmer1906
AG
johncAG, that's all you. Go make them and pass them out at Reed Wednesday.
spocktheweasel
I say we do it.
Palooza11
AG
print out 6,000 copies
aggie0959
to bad its not watermelon season
Maximus_Meridius
AG
quote:
Wait until the game is the bag to do this though. I'd hate to jinx everything.

I cannot emphasize this enough, guys. PLEASE don't make us look stupid!
Farmer1906
AG
Ehh I say we do it every time we score and have a lead.
macaggie
I am all for helping make this happen. What can we do?? Let's make this a coordinated effort.
Palooza11
AG
I HAVE THE PERFECT IDEA EVERYBODY GET A WATERMELON AND DO THIS. THIS WILL NOT MAKE US LOOK DUMB!

MidnightYell2003
AG
DO IT
(I wish I could be there )
ag4ever2010
AG
Yes. I've been waiting for this game for a long time just for this reason.
AggieGreg06
AG
I've been waiting a year for a chance to do this. Can't wait!

What will the passback be??
oldyella
AG
how about a middle finger at barnes.
phatbc
pass out flyers!!!
macaggie
I just posted a thing on the facebook network. I am going to see what kind of feedback I get. I think we should get everybody on the same page and really do this. This is OUR HOUSE!!!

Anybody want to do flyers? I will help.
CDub06
AG
Yes! I've been waiting for this! Too bad I'll be stuck working in Guadalupe County this week...
johncAG
AG
ill help with flyers too
Aston04
AG
nice work mac. Wish I was a current student to help.
macaggie
I can only reply like one more time for today. So I will try to get most of the info in this post. I can make the flyer if I need to. Or whatever. I want to know that we are actually going to do this and people are really supporting it.

here is my email : cshepperd@gmail.com
and here is my aol screen name: dbuchris

So lets do this!!
Rex Racer
AG
As has been said, wait until the game is over. You don't want to be eating crow of this size, believe me.
macaggie
Once the game is over what will the point be?

So what if we do the yell once or twice when we are winning?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.