Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Best Hot Dogs/Franks

12,724 Views | 87 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by WilCoAg17
ag88man
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Mmmm.

medwriter
Garrelli 5000 said:

I'm a hot dog junkie. Regular store is Nathan's or Hebrew National.

The absolute 100% best on the planet for my $ is Katz's Deli, but I only order once a year or so. Damn expensive for a hot dog but if you love them like I do it is worth the occasional splurge.

Secret everyone walks passed - 1/4 lb dog at 711 is pretty damn good. The regular size not so much.

My go to on any dog is mustard only. Sometimes I'll add diced onions and cheddar.
Isn't that (bolded) amazing? You can get the best dogs in some of the most unexpected places. Love this post.
medwriter
ag88man said:

Mmmm.

Hard to go wrong about anything to do with Boar's Head. Thank you x 1 million.
halibut sinclair
Nathan's with mustard and onions or... 'merican cheese, onions and hot dog sauce (Kroger or Walmart brands are very close to Wienerschnitzel sauce).
Mathguy64
AG
Nathan's with mustard, chili, onions and American cheese. And by chili I mean Wolf Brand.
Garrelli 5000
AG
I randomly ran into the ?CIO? at a farmers market in McKinney once and told him they should offer packages of their dogs in their grocery section.

He laughed and said something along the lines of "that's a pretty good idea, I'll pass it along". He then went on to say that I should ask one of the managers if they'd sell me a box but I've never tried.

I know their dogs are a custom blend made specifically for their stores I think by Oscar Meyer.
Take the trash out staff.
Agasaurus Tex
AG
Are the Boar's Head franks found in the section with other franks or in the deli section with other Boar's Head products? Don't recall seeing them at HEB.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Was at a cookout kids birthday party today and was able to try a couple bites of a Costco dog. It was great.
ORAggieFan
I haven't had those Boar's Head in a while, but yeah those were good. My go to is Hebrew National as well.
500,000ags
AG
At my HEB, they are in the deli section.
CrawfordAg
AG
Mine too, in the deli section with the bagged sauerkraut, hummus, feta,etc...
Agasaurus Tex
AG
Thanks, guys.
javajaws
AG
Tried one of those Boar's Head - pretty good! Nice and firm with a good flavor. I seem to recall it being firmer than a Nathan's/Hebrew National dog....although I have some of those to try out tomorrow as well.

Not a fan of the packaging though because of the curves in them - but I think I saw identical dogs from Boar's Head in more standard hot dog packaging right next to them that I didn't get (those would roll on a griddle much easier without the bends in them).
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin
DiskoTroop
javajaws said:

Tried one of those Boar's Head - pretty good! Nice and firm with a good flavor. I seem to recall it being firmer than a Nathan's/Hebrew National dog....although I have some of those to try out tomorrow as well.

Not a fan of the packaging though because of the curves in them - but I think I saw identical dogs from Boar's Head in more standard hot dog packaging right next to them that I didn't get (those would roll on a griddle much easier without the bends in them).

Ok I'll say it…

You can't manage a little brand to the right or left?
Pro Sandy
AG
Friday nights in the summer, I like to come home from work, make a fire and let the kids roast their hotdogs. Gets them outside and things taste better when cooked using a roaster that is caked with burned marshmallows.

My grandma went to her aunt and uncles one summer on the Chapman Ranch. She and her brother wanted hot dogs everyday. Uncle grew tired of it so he took them to the butcher shop to watch them stuff the leftover meat into the intestines to make hot dogs. His plan failed though and the kids wanted hot dogs for lunch again that day.
aggiedata
AG
If you are in Houston, check out B&B Butchers hot dogs on Washington street inside the loop.

They come with amazing buns. They should at that price.

Best I ever had.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
Wait. No one here makes their own?
HTownAg98
I made a mortadella, which is pretty much the same process. I've determined it's not worth the effort, especially since I don't have a meat chopper or a Robot Coupe food processor.
southernboy1
AG
Does Slovacek still do "dogs"? They used to for dollar dog at Olsen. That's been a long time ago.
ftworthag02
AG
I bought boars head hot dog & their sauerkraut yesterday at H-E-B thanks to your recommendations and grilled them for my father-in-law. They were damn good. Our normal hot dog is Nathan's.
lurker76
I should be ashamed to admit it, but a good hot dog (or two) is one of my favorite meals. And yes, it shows in my shape. My wife tells me I'm going to turn into a preservative one day. I tell her that when I'm dug up in 10,000 years, they'll be amazed at how good I look. Typically whenever I'm cooking chicken, burgers or steak on the pit, I'll throw a package of hot dogs and a link of Slovacek's sausage on the side to warm up while the coals are burning down. Once the coals are ready, I'll put the dogs over them to char the outside, remove them and start the real food. Never waste an opportunity to cook extra meats when you have the chance.

With that out of the way, we usually get the Ballpark Angus; either the bun length or the regular. The Boar's Head dogs are very good too, with a nice crisp skin. We've had Nathan's as well, and they are also worth getting.

As to how they are prepared, there is no such thing as too much mustard, preferably French's Yellow, with diced onions and Wolf Brand Chili. Sometimes with dill relish and/or sauerkraut. No cheese, no pickles, no tomato.
mustang1234
Find a German Butcher Shop and try their home made ones
medwriter
CrawfordAg said:

Mine too, in the deli section with the bagged sauerkraut, hummus, feta,etc...
Those are three of my favorite things.

I HAVE to try the Costco dogs. Everybody I know, online or not has nothing but love for those.
medwriter
mustang1234 said:

Find a German Butcher Shop and try their home made ones
I lived in Germany for two years and fell in love with their cuisine. Gonna have to find a local in OKC.
BigN--00
AG
Hebrew National, Nathan's, and Boar's Head are all solid choices. But once you start eating them, you can't go back to Bar S mush.

Make your own chili, it is just better. Steam the buns. If you like kraut, buy it in the cold section and rinse before heating. The individual Frito bags are more fun.

My fav's:

Yellow Mustard, sweet relish, onion
[Cole]slaw dog (with or without chili), and mustard.
Bacon, Sauerkraut, and Brown Mustard.
Classic Chili Cheese Dog.
Chicago Style.

Don't be afraid to try new things, including different bun options (potato, Kings Hawaiian, split top, etc.

No ketchup!

My obsession with hot dogs started with A Hot Dog Program on PBS.

The Dirty Sock
I used to get hotdogs at Fuddruckers instead of burgers. I'm not ashamed. They were damn good.
ValleyRatAg
AG
I love hot dogs.
ValleyRatAg
AG
If you ever go through Llano stop at Miiller's Meat Market and get some of their hot dogs. I love them and they can be used to make awesome corndogs too.

I also provided a link above to order online but they're real expensive online.
CrawfordAg
AG
I grilled up some chili dogs with red onions and hebs post oak smoked pimento cheese and it was amazing.
schmendeler
AG
The hot dog buns at Fuddruckers were so good
eric76
AG
medwriter said:

Since Fourth of July is almost upon us, I'd like to get the fine folks on this forum's opinion on the best hot dog. I've always liked Ballpark bun length dogs, but recently I've been grilling Nathan's and I have to say they won me over.
I don't eat many hot dogs, but I do have a strong preference for Nathan's. In a pinch, I'll make do with Hebrew National hot dogs.
Tanya 93
Best hot dog I ever had was from a hot dog vendor outside Busch stadium.

Nathan's hot dog, grilled
Toasted garlic sesame bun
Grilled mushrooms and onions
Crumbled blue cheese
And Dijon mustard on the side if needed.

Best thing ever
Eliminatus
AG
I have found my people!

LOVE me a good dog. A nice light charred Hebrew National off a grill with mustard, kraut, dill relish, and sport peppers is legitimately one of my favorite foods of all time. And I'm a foodie.

I'm getting hungry just reading through this.
ORAggieFan
Speaking of dogs. Had this yesterday.
Garrelli 5000
AG
Many years ago the Texas Rangers had fantastic best you'll eat until you go to another game dogs. At some point Decker (their supplier) packaged and sold the Rangers branded dogs at the grocery. They went fast so you had to stock up when they hit the shelves.

Then Nolan Ryan (I assume he made this call) switched to his brand, which pale in comparison.
Take the trash out staff.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.