Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Best Hot Dogs/Franks

12,624 Views | 87 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by WilCoAg17
medwriter
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Since Fourth of July is almost upon us, I'd like to get the fine folks on this forum's opinion on the best hot dog. I've always liked Ballpark bun length dogs, but recently I've been grilling Nathan's and I have to say they won me over.

I'd sure like to get your opinions because I'm going to do a log of grilling come the fourth. Looking forward to your opinions!

PS. Also, your preferred choice of condiments (mustard, ketchup, sweet relish -YUM or combination of these) would be greatly appreciated as well as any other suggestions such as to grill or not to grill, etc.

Gracious!
DiskoTroop
We've been buying the Costco beef hotdogs lately. Similar to what they serve in their cafe but not as large. They're excellent.

I've always been a ketchup/mustard/relish guy but always love chili/cheese/onions too. Hard to go wrong either way.
SpiderDude
AG
I rarely buy but yes the Costco ones are great. I've used a recipe in the past where you make cuts along the width down the length of the dogs and marinate in a mustard and ketchup mixture.
medwriter
TheFunnierPhideaux said:

We've been buying the Costco beef hotdogs lately. Similar to what they serve in their cafe but not as large. They're excellent.

I've always been a ketchup/mustard/relish guy but always love chili/cheese/onions too. Hard to go wrong either way.
Thank you Phideaux. Chili/cheese/onions are my go-to as well. Like you said, hard to go wrong. Some good chili with onions is a must for me.

If I have none of the above I like to douse mine with a combination of mustard and ketchup. And I ALWAYS a jar of sweet relish on hand. I also like to have mine with sauerkraut. There are SO many options and I love 'em all.
Mathguy64
AG
Nathan's. If you are going to get someone to eat 72 of them at once they need to be good.
medwriter
I'm a big Costco fan as well. I swear, it doesn't get much better than having a grilled hot dog alongside of a ginormous glass of ice cold tea (sun brewed of course). The simple things in life are most often the best. I've never bought the Costco brand but it will be on the top of my list come my next run to the grocery store.
The Dirty Sock
costco and sams ones are pretty good.
medwriter
Mathguy64 said:

Nathan's. If you are going to get someone to eat 72 of them at once they need to be good.
I hear you Mathguy! I love it.
BSD
AG
We like the 44 Farm hot dogs.
medwriter
The Dirty Sock said:

costco and sams ones are pretty good.
It'll be Costco for me. I don't have a Sam's membership.

Anyone here ever heard of putting sloppy joe mix on a hot dog? I haven't done it but think it might be a good combo, with the sweetness of the sloppy joe mix complementing the onions and or any hot sauce you'd like on your dog.

Dang, I really, really love Summer and all that it entails.
medwriter
BSD said:

We like the 44 Farm hot dogs.
Thanks for the tip. I'll look it up right away.

This looks enticing. From their website.

PlanoAg98
AG
Hebrew Nation - EOT

medwriter
PlanoAg98 said:

Hebrew Nation - EOT

They ARE absolutely delicious and I'll be getting a few packages of them for our cookout. I haven't had them in awhile but like many things that are kosher they set a high standard. Thanks PlanoAg.
BSD
AG
medwriter said:

Dang, I really, really love Summer and all that it entrails.

FIFY.
medwriter
BSD said:

medwriter said:

Dang, I really, really love Summer and all that it entrails.

FIFY.
Ha ha. Them thar entrails be the main ingredient in some hot dogs.
NColoradoAG
The Costco 1/4 pounders and the Hebrew National 1/4 pounders are my go to. I think the Hebrew Nationals are slightly better.
Sazerac
AG
Chicago style
pickle spear, sport peppers, diced onion, mustard, celery salt
I don't add the sweet relish + dill pickle. Just choose one.
medwriter
Sazerac said:

Chicago style
pickle spear, sport peppers, diced onion, mustard, celery salt
I don't add the sweet relish + dill pickle. Just choose one.
I absolutely love that combo and will use it come fourth of July and probably from that point forward. Thank you! Thank you as well NColoradoAG, great suggestions!
medwriter
NColoradoAG said:

The Costco 1/4 pounders and the Hebrew National 1/4 pounders are my go to. I think the Hebrew Nationals are slightly better.
Hebrew Nationals seem to get a lot of love and for good reason IMO. They are simply one, if not THE best dogs out there.

PS. This forum kicks ass, and in the best possible way.
FIDO*98*
AG
1/4lb Nathan's. Cook until blistered on the Blackstone then butterfly and sear the inside.

I shave an onion on a mandolin and sweat until tender-crisp. Serve the dog with dill pickle slices, grilled onion, and mustard

Chili dogs are their own category imo. For a good chili dog, I prefer bun length dogs with homemade chili sauce, cheese, grilled onions and jalapeño.
DiskoTroop
medwriter said:

TheFunnierPhideaux said:

Thank you Phideaux. Chili/cheese/onions are my go-to as well. Like you said, hard to go wrong. Some good chili with onions is a must for me.

If I have none of the above I like to douse mine with a combination of mustard and ketchup. And I ALWAYS a jar of sweet relish on hand. I also like to have mine with sauerkraut. There are SO many options and I love 'em all.

Good hotdog chili recipe I've made in the past:

Chili
* 2 lbs. Ground Beef, (90% lean)
* 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
* 1 large onion, chopped
* 1 green bell pepper, chopped
* 1 jalapeño pepper, ribs and seeds removed, chopped
* 4 garlic cloves, minced
* 2 Tbsp. chili powder
* 1 Tbsp. paprika
* 1 Tbsp. ground cumin
* 1 tsp. dried oregano
* tsp. freshly ground black pepper
* tsp. Kosher salt
* 1 can (8 oz.) tomato sauce
* 1 can (10 oz.) diced tomatoes & green chilies, undrained
* 1 cup beer
* cup (2 oz.) shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese

* Heat a large Dutch oven over MEDIUM-HIGH heat; add oil. Lower heat to MEDIUM; add onion, bell pepper and jalapeño pepper stirring occasionally until tender, approximately 4-7 minutes. Add garlic and cook for an additional 1 minute.

* Add Ground Beef. Cook for 8-10 minutes, breaking beef into small crumbles and stirring occasionally. Pour off drippings, as necessary.

* Add chili powder, paprika, cumin, oregano, black pepper and salt; cook 1 minute.

* Add tomato sauce, dice tomatoes & green chilies, and beer; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook 30 minutes. Add shredded cheese. Serve with your favorite toppings.

You know your audience… add beans at your own risk. I like beans in chili despite being a life long Texan. Not necessarily on hotdogs but frito pie? Yes sir.

Ok I feel fat.
ValleyRatAg
AG
Miiller's hot dog wieners from Miiller's in Llano.

If I can't get those Hebrew National's are dang good.
medwriter
Well, I feel hungry reading the recipe you provided. It's a keeper for sure and I greatly appreciate your post.
medwriter
ValleyRatAg said:

Miiller's hot dog wieners from Miiller's in Llano.

If I can't get those Hebrew National's are dang good.
I'm going to order several packs of those. I hope they sell online.

You folks are great and I promise to do your recipe(s) justice.
Mockingbird Ag
AG
I went to Old Settlers music festival and this food truck was there. Awesome hot dogs and "not" dogs too (vegan). THe LaMadre was excellent.

Https://roaminghunger.com/bird-dogz/
Garrelli 5000
AG
I'm a hot dog junkie. Regular store is Nathan's or Hebrew National.

The absolute 100% best on the planet for my $ is Katz's Deli, but I only order once a year or so. Damn expensive for a hot dog but if you love them like I do it is worth the occasional splurge.

Secret everyone walks passed - 1/4 lb dog at 711 is pretty damn good. The regular size not so much.

My go to on any dog is mustard only. Sometimes I'll add diced onions and cheddar.
Take the trash out staff.
Hobbes01
AG
"You know what they make those things out of, eh Chet?"

ValleyRatAg
AG
Link: Miller's Hot Dogs
FtBendTxAg
AG
Those boars head franks are pretty damn good
deadhead aggie
AG
expensive......yes
gotta order on-line.....yes
worth it........oh heck yes.....

Nueskes Dogs
Ol Jock 99
AG
Go to a local butcher and get them. Rudolph's in Dallas has amazing ones if you are in the area.
Marcus Brutus
FtBendTxAg said:

Those boars head franks are pretty damn good

Never had them but I'm sure they are. Boars Head makes good everything. Their bacon is the best imo, followed by Oscar Mayer.
CrawfordAg
AG
I have been on a hot dog kick lately. I like boar's head and Hebrew national. I decided to try heb's beef brisket and their jalapeno for tomorrow's game.

I bought this gadget on Amazon that scores your hot dog which creates an awesome crispy texture over coals.

https://www.slotdog.com/
500,000ags
AG
I was about to recommend boars head. They are like $1 a hot dog, but taste great in a martins potato bun.
schmendeler
AG
Personal favorite would be Nathan's or Costco (we don't eat enough hot dogs to buy these usually). I have tried Hebrew national but for some reason I don't remember loving them. But they are a solid option.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.