Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

*******The Cake Thread******

2,305 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by pinkdog
pinkdog
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Did a mirror glaze to make a galaxy cake for nephew's birthday. A big mess in the kitchen as usual but so much fun!
pinkdog
Planets on the inside

Matsui
pinkdog
In the spirit of Aggie baseball
pinkdog
Hi guys. My sister is wanting me to make this cake for my brother in law who is retiring from 28 years in the Marine Corps. I may change some details about this, it will be hard to pull off. I really respect people who have served our country and would like it to turn out nice. If there is anyone who wants to share ideas about cake decorating, this is the thread.
pinkdog
This is what I have so far, I am going to have to re-do the top. I'm having trouble getting the shape of the hat without causing a bunch of fingerprints and unevenness. I understand jokes but if anyone has any suggestions on working with the fondant, please chime in. Oo-rah! Thanks and gig 'em!
ABATTBQ11
AG
Did you coat your hands in cornstarch when applying? Also, what are you doing to shape it on the cake? Are you using a smoothing tool?
pinkdog
Trying to use the fondant paddle as much as I can. Going better this time around but still not where I want it to be. I use powdered sugar on my hands.
aggiespartan
AG
My only advice for working with fondant is, don't. But in all seriousness, it takes a lot of practice. The paddle isn't going to smooth things out nearly as much as you want. And people are going to peel it off when they eat it.

Also what type of fondant are you using? A lot of people prefer to use homemade marshmallow fondant to the store bought stuff.
pinkdog
Good point. The cake looked like so much work, I just bought the Wilton fondant. I hate fondant too but don't see how I can avoid it in this cake.
aggiespartan
AG
I always politely decline those cakes or offer a different design. I don't like to make things I wouldn't eat myself. I probably would have covered in the different colors of buttercream and just added fondant embellishments.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Yeah same maybe just fondant the flag. All about cake is a great book from my favorite sweets chef Christina Tosi
aggiespartan
AG
Keeper of The Spirits said:

Yeah same maybe just fondant the flag. All about cake is a great book from my favorite sweets chef Christina Tosi
I think that was my least favorite book of hers. Layered is my favorite cake book.
histag10
AG
Wilton fondant is the worst and cracks really bad (in my experience). Homemade marshmallow fondant is the best to work with, imo.

For the hat, cut a piece of cardboard and cover that in fondant. It will give you the best lines/smoothness. For the hat, are you adding tylose to the fondant to help it harden?

I HATE fondant, and decline those orders as well. I cam pretty much do everything in a buttercream design (and use sugar sheets with the images printed)
histag10
AG
My favorite/most used cake book is The Cake Bible by Rose Levy Beranbaum
pinkdog
No never use tylose before. I've made homemade fondant before but it's been awhile. Cardboard is a good idea. Thanks
histag10
AG
Adding tylose or gumpaste will help it harden quickly, hopefully preventing cracks as it dries. It's also great for when you make figurines or other accent pieces.
pinkdog
Don't have the border or all the details on yet. I feel like the flag looks like ass. I'm afraid to pull the flag off and start over due to it damaging the cake. I feel like I could tear off that last red stripe and replace it but that could be a disaster too.
pinkdog
Okay here is the final product, no turning back. It's not without flaws but I'm glad I got it good enough to take to a party. Thank you Marine Corps, Semper Fi.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.