Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Go To Sous Vide Recipes?

2,323 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by HTownAg98
Scan Man
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
In an attempt to re-energize myself on using our sous vide, I recently purchased an Anova Sous Vide 'container' (which my wife immediately ridiculed). In an attempt to prove her wrong - I'd like to do some sous vide'ing this weekend - any killer recipes?

Thanks!
bobinator
AG
The big advantage of the container is for long cooks. There's a lot of different recipes out there, but the long cook short ribs are excellent. This is just one example.

The big containers are useful. Last year the night before Christmas at my in laws I was prepping the prime rib they got and noticed it was still mostly frozen so I audibled and just sous vided the whole thing and then finished it in the oven.
Duncan Idaho
Artichokes are great. Butter,lemon, garlic, salt, pepper 190 for a few hours then grilled or broiled.
The Dirty Sock
tri tip
HTownAg98
Carnitas or pork confit.
ORAggieFan
13 minute egg (cooked in shell) is great.

Other than that I'm mostly steak and seafood. Sometimes chicken for chicken salads.
DTP02
AG
Thick cut bone-in pork chops are the absolute best use of sous vide IMO. I do steaks sous vide a fair amount as well, but the benefits from pork are better.

Depending on the flavors I'm going for, I usually put some fresh Thyme sprigs on the chops while they're in the bath at 141.5 for 1-4 hours.

One tip is when you remove from the bag and pat dry before your sear, make a few scores in the outer fat cap to help the chop stay flat during the sear.

After searing, you can go different directions for your pan sauce but my favorite is to deglaze with white wine and maybe a splash of something stronger like brandy or cognac, then add some minced garlic and/or shallots, thyme and/or herbs de Provence, maybe some chicken stock, and Dijon mustard. Reduce a bit, add some cream if you have it, and then serve on the chops. I've played around with the sauce ingredients and proportions a good bit, but the key is deglazing with wine and then adding the Dijon if you want that French country style flavor.

Also recently did a version of this Greek chicken recipe which turned out really well:

https://sousvideways.com/sous-vide-greek-chicken/
Scan Man
AG
Made the Serious Eats Sous Vide Carnitas yesterday, they turned out really good - family devoured every bit of it.

Looking forward to the pork chop idea, I love a thick cut pork chop. Thanks for the ideas!

https://www.seriouseats.com/sous-vide-carnitas-crispy-mexican-style-pulled-pork-recipe
DTP02
AG
Scan Man said:

Made the Serious Eats Sous Vide Carnitas yesterday, they turned out really good - family devoured every bit of it.

Looking forward to the pork chop idea, I love a thick cut pork chop. Thanks for the ideas!

https://www.seriouseats.com/sous-vide-carnitas-crispy-mexican-style-pulled-pork-recipe

I'm going to try that. Which temp version did you go with? I'm thinking the middle temp and pulling the pork vs chunking it. Did you do the Cochinita Pibil marinade? Not sure I want to put that much work into it.
EFE
AG
2nd bone in Pork chops
Chicken thighs at 140* for an hour then finished on the grill at 355-400* for 20-30 min to get them smoky and the skin crispy
Salmon
Roasts
Chicken Breasts for salads/pastas etc

That's our general sous vide/weekly menu standards
Ag_07
AG
Chicken of any kind is exceptional

I do wings quite regularly - Just put in a bag with whatever sauce (I like buffalo sauce) and some butter. Cook them at 140 for 1.5 hrs then either finish off in the broiler or flash fry (breaded or not)

We do chicken fajitas regularly - Season thighs with whatever fajita seasoning you like and add to a bag with some butter. Cook at 167 for 45 min. When done cut in slices and finish off in pan with sliced onions and peppers.

For pork I often cook tenderloins. The pre marinated ones from HEB are great for weeknights since they're already marinated and sealed up. Just drop in at 138 for 1.5 hrs. It's OK and quite tasty for pork to be pink.
Mathguy64
AG
Ag_07 said:

For pork I often cook tenderloins. The pre marinated ones from HEB are great for weeknights since they're already marinated and sealed up. Just drop in at 138 for 1.5 hrs. It's OK and quite tasty for pork to be pink.
Yep. Its like HEB made those for sous vide. Pull tjem out after and give a quick sear in cast iron and instant protein.
SpiderDude
AG
The Dirty Sock said:

tri tip

Gotta be at least 6 hours in the bath though!
12thAngryMan
AG
Mathguy64 said:

Ag_07 said:

Yep. Its like HEB made those for sous vide. Pull tjem out after and give a quick sear in cast iron and instant protein.
Is the plastic they come in safe to be heated for several hours like that? If so, that would definitely become a staple. I cook plenty using sous-vide recipes, but I'm always concerned about the plastic leaching. Thus, I tend to use the "approved" Foodsaver, etc. bags. It's probably just overpriced nonsense, but gives me peace of mind at least.
Mathguy64
AG
I drop it straight in. It's good grade and nowhere close to the melting point.
Ag_07
AG
Yeah it's fine.

It's no different that dropping a Ziploc bag.
12thAngryMan
AG
Mathguy64 said:

I drop it straight in. It's good grade and nowhere close to the melting point.

Not worried about melting, just microscopic plastic leaching into the food. Same as not drinking out of a plastic water bottle that's been sitting in your car in 100 degree temps.
Mathguy64
AG
Yes. It's safe.
Superdave1993
AG
I'll also chime for the thick cut pork chops. Those and thick chicken breasts have come out awesome every single time.
Scan Man
AG
I did 185 for 8 hours, followed the basic recipe with the onions and orange in the bag.

So easy.
GeorgiAg
AG
Tri tip for sure.

Chicken - so you don't overcook it. Super juicy but since you cook it longer it is pasteurized and safe. There is a pasteurization scale online to tell you how long to cook it to kill the bugs. Sear on cast iron or with a blow torch. Cooking it at anything below 155 or so has a gross texture.

Super fast (even thick cut) perfectly cooked steak during the work week - You can sous vide a bunch at once. Vac seal with butter, garlic and rosemary. Liquid smoke if you want. Sous vide around 132 or your desired temp. Put them in the fridge. When you come home from work, heat up the cast iron pan, cut open the bag and sear - you have awesome perfectly cooked thick steak for like 5 minutes of prep & cooking, tops. I also have used an infrared cooker or use a blowtorch to sear.

When I lived in a high rise where I couldn't grill/smoke, I did a 50+ hour brisket in sous vide once, just for the hell of it. Missed the smoky flavor, but it was a perfect lean cut of brisket. Interesting but of course, bbq is best.
bobinator
AG
I made some smoked pork al pastor a few weeks back and froze some pieces that didn't fit quite right on the tower. Gonna throw those in the sous vide at 165 overnight tomorrow and see how it comes out for tacos on Saturday.
DTP02
AG
DTP02 said:

Scan Man said:

I'm going to try that. Which temp version did you go with? I'm thinking the middle temp and pulling the pork vs chunking it. Did you do the Cochinita Pibil marinade? Not sure I want to put that much work into it.

So I'm definitely doing sous vide carnitas this weekend. I have a couple of questions for the board:

- definitely pork shoulder not butt, right? The serious eats recipe calls for shoulder and I think butt might be too fatty even though I like big butts (and I cannot lie)

- I'm not going to do a full-on homemade Cochinita Pibil marinade, but I'm planning to buy some achiote paste. Rub it on prior to sous vide? I know some spices and marinades can do strange stuff to textures when using sous vide.

- I'm going to have the smoker going this weekend for ribs, so I was thinking I might drop the pork in there after the bath. Anyone ever tried that? Could also bring going with a pork butt back into play, although I probably wouldn't leave it in the smoker long enough to render a whole lot of fat.

HTownAg98
DTP02 said:

DTP02 said:

Scan Man said:

So I'm definitely doing sous vide carnitas this weekend. I have a couple of questions for the board:

- definitely pork shoulder not butt, right? The serious eats recipe calls for shoulder and I think butt might be too fatty even though I like big butts (and I cannot lie) Pork butt and pork shoulder are the same in this context. You could use a picnic shoulder and it would be great as well.

- I'm not going to do a full-on homemade Cochinita Pibil marinade, but I'm planning to buy some achiote paste. Rub it on prior to sous vide? I know some spices and marinades can do strange stuff to textures when using sous vide. Salt and acidic marinades can do strange things to meats. However, in this instance, it's not a problem, as carnitas are usually salted and in a slightly acidic marinade when they cook.

- I'm going to have the smoker going this weekend for ribs, so I was thinking I might drop the pork in there after the bath. Anyone ever tried that? Could also bring going with a pork butt back into play, although I probably wouldn't leave it in the smoker long enough to render a whole lot of fat.
Most of the fat will render while cooking sous vide. You can smoke it at the end if you like, but it isn't necessary.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.