Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Fajita marinade recipe?

11,404 Views | 41 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by RGV AG
rather be fishing
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looking for recipe recommendations. Planning to cook a bunch this Friday and I haven't been 100% satisfied with the recipes I've done in the past.
Tailgate88
AG
https://texags.com/forums/67/topics/1945226
Garrelli 5000
AG
I like to take that recipe and afterwards dry the meat off and add a seasoning like Bohlner's Fiesta fajita or El Gordo red fajita.

Depending on how much time you have to marinade it also helps a lot if you tenderize/flatten the skirt under seran wrap with a mallet.
Take the trash out staff.
Slicer97
AG
Season with Bolner's (that's Fiesta Brand for those unaware), stick it in the fridge overnight, cover with freshly squeezed lime juice, wait 20~30 minutes, throw it on the grill.
ValleyRatAg
AG
After marinating my own for years, I finally stumbled into a simple recipe that everyone seems to love.

Buy the HEB brand (not Hill Country Fare) marinated beef fajitas and a bottle of Cookwell & Company Pecos 83 Barbecue Marinade. About 3 pounds per bottle. Trim the membrane off of the fajitas, throw them in a ziplock, dump the Pecos 83 in and soak them overnight.

Chicken fajita style taco meat, I buy boneless skinless breasts and thighs (about 50/50). I pound out the chicken breasts to about a 1/4" throughout with a cast iron skillet. Then I soak them in claudes lower sodium fajita seasoning and a can or two of chipotle peppers with the adobo sauce. Soak them overnight. Cook them on a hot grill. I take the chipotles and stack them up in a corner of the grill and serve them on the side to add to tacos.
aggiespartan
AG
We use the one out of The Food Lab and it's amazing.
Cassius
Fiesta brand fajita seasoning dry rub. Nothing better.
Stupid@17
AG
Salt and pepper.

Once done cooking and laying to rest place a compound butter of your choice on top (i prefer simple here, go with 2 or 3 cloves of fresh garlic through a press, some green onion tops very finely chopped mixed with softened high buttefat salted butter like kerrygold). Spread on top liberally and tent with foil.
Tailgate88
AG
Stupid@17 said:

Salt and pepper.

Once done cooking and laying to rest place a compound butter of your choice on top (i prefer simple here, go with 2 or 3 cloves of fresh garlic through a press, some green onion tops very finely chopped mixed with softened high buttefat salted butter like kerrygold). Spread on top liberally and tent with foil.

Did you respond to the wrong thread?
ShawnTxAg
AG
Used the fajita recipe in the linked Papasito's thread.

1 cup pineaple juice (good stuff).
1/2 cup soy sauce
4 fresh squeezed limes
1/4 cup fresh cilantro
1 jalepono
1/3 cup onions
1/3 cup water.
Cumin
Salt
Pepper

Cooked for 90 mins in Sous Vide at 131 degrees. Took out, patted the meat dry and seared both sides on Blackstone for approximately a minute! Grilled corn torts, topped w grilled onions amd peppers and Los Cucos lemon cilantro sauce. Fantastic!!!

OasisMan
AG
Cassius said:

used to agree

Was given 2 Gringos by chupacabra

It's the best
Cassius
OasisMan said:

Cassius said:

used to agree

It's the best

Oh really...

Gonna have to try it then.
Cassius
OasisMan said:

Cassius said:

used to agree

It's the best

OK, which one?
ShawnTxAg
AG
Not a big fan of the brisket magic, but love the original season all
Cassius
ShawnTxAg said:

Not a big fan of the brisket magic, but love the original season all

Thanks, I'm in.
OasisMan
AG
Cassius said:

OasisMan said:

Cassius said:

used to agree

It's the best

OK, which one?
This One -- green labeling -- make sure you get the one with MSG (unless you dont like MSG) -- my dad got the one that looks the same without MSG and there is a noticeable difference IMO -- now he adds MSG powder with the chupa

my wifes family finds it in the stores in mcallen
im in FL so i have to order on amazon

tho i liked it so much ended up getting several of their diff ones, like em all so far
Max Power
AG
OasisMan said:

Cassius said:

used to agree

It's the best
Their chicken rub is great too, makes an awesome roast chicken.
Stupid@17
AG
Tailgate88 said:

Stupid@17 said:

Salt and pepper.

Did you respond to the wrong thread?

Sorry for late reply and no.

Sometimes a marinade will simply hide the natural flavor of the steak. I offered an alternative that will give you very flavorful beef fajita meat.
HTownAg98
Has anyone tried the "Wagyu" skirt steaks from HEB? I couldn't tell that much difference.
Bruce Almighty
AG
HTownAg98 said:

Has anyone tried the "Wagyu" skirt steaks from HEB? I couldn't tell that much difference.

No, but I bought some Wagyu skirt from Snake River Farms and they're amazing.
deadhead aggie
AG
hopefully not derailing this thread, but........

i'm not sure where you're located and if you're open to just buying pre-marinated beef, but there was a multi-page conversation on the Houston Board regarding the marinated beef fajitas that can be purchased from Don Tomate......it's a Mexican grocery north of 290 and south of 99.....

the beef fajitas are unreal.....chicken got okay reviews......lots of speculation by TexAgs on the marinade, but all agreed that they were some of the best around..........

https://www.dontomatecypress.com/
Tailgate88
AG
deadhead aggie said:

hopefully not derailing this thread, but........

i'm not sure where you're located and if you're open to just buying pre-marinated beef, but there was a multi-page conversation on the Houston Board regarding the marinated beef fajitas that can be purchased from Don Tomate......it's a Mexican grocery north of 290 and south of 99.....

the beef fajitas are unreal.....chicken got okay reviews......lots of speculation by TexAgs on the marinade, but all agreed that they were some of the best around..........

https://www.dontomatecypress.com/
I've bought pre-seasoned fajita and chicken at La Michocana and it is fantastic. They have many locations including one in Bryan.

https://www.lamichoacanameatmarket.com/en/
ShawnTxAg
AG
Absolutely second this recommendation. The one in Bryan was amazing.
dsvogel05
AG
The flavor between Wagyu and non-Wagyu isn't too different, but the Wagyu is more tender.
smstork1007
AG
Are they HEB Wagyu skirt steaks inside or outside skirts? That makes more of a difference than Prime vs Wagyu. If you can find them, Outside is the way to go, and its not really close.
smstork1007
AG
Those are outside skirts and are some of the best you can get, at least that I have been able to come across.
RK
AG
The heb waygu are outside skirt. At least the ones I got once were.
B-1 83
AG
Pineapple juice
Lime juice
Allegro marinade
Worcestershire
Garlic
CyAg
AG
I've done the typical marinades, used Fiesta brand and a salt and pepper dry brine, we like them all. Ordered the 2 Gringos original and will be looking for outside Wagyu skirts to try it on.
[img]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/515kfrmJqVL._SL125_.jpg[/img]
[img]http://image.allmusic.com/00/amg/cov75/drd800/d841/d84159kw543.jpg[/img]
cecil77
AG
You experts will laugh at an old guy, but this has been good for 40 years, way back at the beginning of fajitas in the Valley.

Equal parts beer (Shiner Bock) and Kraft Original BBQ sauce. Substantial worcestershire.
RGV AG
AG
I thought you were of the cheap italian dressing marinade school?

From way back we always used Italian dressing, lots of lime, some beer and diced onions and garlic. Quality of the Fajita was always the most important thing. Much time is and was spent getting the silver skin and membrane off. I am particular to Maggi sauce and italian dressing.

The soy and pineapple deal that is so popular I occasionally use on skillet fajitas and agujas. Dont care for it on the grill. Trimming, heat, and thickness are always the thing we watch closest.
cecil77
AG
Quote:

Much time is and was spent getting the silver skin and membrane off.
A lost art, I fear.

For some reason the Shiner/Kraft/Worstershire has always done it for me. I will add chopped onion and lots of black pepper.

And rereading the above, holy crap, it's closer to 50 years now...
Dallasag517
AG
cecil77 said:

You experts will laugh at an old guy, but this has been good for 40 years, way back at the beginning of fajitas in the Valley.

Equal parts beer (Shiner Bock) and Kraft Original BBQ sauce. Substantial worcestershire.

cecil,

when you say "substantial worcestershire can you be more specific?

Let's say I'm using 1 cup of shiner of 1 cup kraft bbq. how much worcestershire?

usually the oldies but goodies are pretty good, so i'm trusting you..
Dallasag517
AG
i have to know what's in that round bowl with the green sauce. tell it to me! tell it to me right now!!

Wait a minute! i think you told me already. Los cucos cilantro sauce? Yeah, never mind sorry. It looks really good. I have to go find that somewhere.
cecil77
AG
Maybe two tablespoons...
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.