Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Authentic Hot/Warm (Temperature) Mexican Salsa Recipe

3,851 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Candiru
Bonfire97
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Does anyone happen to have a recipe for a hot/warm authentic salsa? I have only seen this at a few family owned Mexican restaurants and they usually serve the pickled carrots/jalapenos with it. It seems different than a typical salsa in that it usually seems very thin in consistency. Thanks in advance!
FIDO*98*
AG
Preheat oven to about 425.

Take about 8-10 Roma tomatoes and halved and seeded, 1-2 jalapeos halved optional to seed (can also use serranos), medium white onion quartered, and 3 cloves of garlic.

Cover a sheet pan with foil and drizzle with oil (neutral such as avocado not olive). Place the veggies face down on the pan (cover garlic with a tomato half), drizzle veggies with oil, and roast for 25-35 minutes.

Scrape everything off into a food processor and add some cilantro and juice from a lime. Salt to taste. Pulse until you get your desired consistency.
Max Power
AG
This is pretty close to what I do. Sometimes I sub a 7 oz can of chipotles for the jalapeos.
Post removed:
by user
Rattler12
FIDO*98* said:

Preheat oven to about 425.

Take about 8-10 Roma tomatoes and halved and seeded, 1-2 jalapeos halved optional to seed (can also use serranos), medium white onion quartered, and 3 cloves of garlic.

Cover a sheet pan with foil and drizzle with oil (neutral such as avocado not olive). Place the veggies face down on the pan (cover garlic with a tomato half), drizzle veggies with oil, and roast for 25-35 minutes.

Scrape everything off into a food processor and add some cilantro and juice from a lime. Salt to taste. Pulse until you get your desired consistency.
My only alteration is to blanche and peel the tomatoes first. Then put the peelings in the oven with the rest until they are scorched pretty well and add to the food processor with the rest. The blackened peelings give it a bit more of an intense flavor kick.
Bonfire97
AG
Thanks for the replies. I am going to experiment with it this weekend and see how it goes.
Nobody Knows My Name
AG
I do something very similar as well. Always turns out great!
Bonfire97
AG
Fido - did your recipe. Left seeds in one of the jalapeos and used 2tsp of salt. It was excellent. Thanks again - great recipe!
Nobody Knows My Name
AG
Note instead of salt I throw in a cube of tomato bouillon when I throw everything in the blender. Comes out really good.
RCR06
AG
Another variation would be to smoke the tomatoes, jalapeos, and onion. Done this several times and it's turned out great
ChipFTAC01
AG
I smoke my salsa verde. Love it. Need to make a batch and make some chicken enchiladas next weekend.
chico
AG
Use a molcajete instead of a blender, much better consistency.
Dr.Rumack
Not sure if there's on the internet but my wife makes a mean tomatillo salsa and adds a few jalapeos. Good on everything.
Ol_Ag_02
AG
RCR06 said:

Another variation would be to smoke the tomatoes, jalapeos, and onion. Done this several times and it's turned out great

Always put a pan of tomatoes, jalapeos, and onion on if I'm smoking chickens.

Can't have smoked chicken tacos without smoked salsa.
Candiru
AG
Tangent, but how do you prepare your smoked chicken for the tacos?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.