Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Least Favorite Cooking Tasks

7,115 Views | 91 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by GeorgiAg
EFE
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
rooftop18403 said:

Being in a rush and having to thaw meat in the microwave.
Do you even sous vide, bro?
Naveronski
AG
HTownAg98 said:

Potcake said:

Stirring a roux for 30+ minutes

Bake it in the oven.
Wait, what?
Ogre09
AG
mazag08 said:

Roast the garlic first.

1. Cut off stem
2. Wrap in foil with former stem side up and exposed at the top
3. Drizzle with olive oil
4. Stick in over on 400 for 30 min
5. Take out and let cool for a couple minutes, then you can squeeze the individual bulbs out like pimples. And it tastes awesome.

Roasted garlic is delicious, but doesn't belong in every dish and isn't a substitute for peeling it raw.
HTownAg98
Naveronski said:

HTownAg98 said:

Potcake said:

Bake it in the oven.
Wait, what?

Whisk together the flour and your melted fat, and put it in a 350 degree oven. It will take 1.5-3 hours, depending on the color you want.
07ag said:

trimming a brisket

or cleaning the dishes
my favorite task associated with smoking a brisket (besides eating it of course)

I also think that it is one of the most important tasks. Every piece of meat is different and you can set yourself up for success if you know how and where to trim
mazag08
AG
Ogre09 said:

mazag08 said:

Roast the garlic first.

1. Cut off stem
5. Take out and let cool for a couple minutes, then you can squeeze the individual bulbs out like pimples. And it tastes awesome.

Roasted garlic is delicious, but doesn't belong in every dish and isn't a substitute for peeling it raw.
Speak for yourself
austinag1997
AG
Ogre09 said:

Don't rinse your chicken

Wow... yall are correct. They used to recommend this, but no longer do. Learn something new on Texags everyday.
austinag1997
AG
mazag08 said:

Ogre09 said:

mazag08 said:

Roast the garlic first.

1. Cut off stem

Speak for yourself

Boiled in a crawfish pot is better.
Ogre09
AG
Fair enough
FancyKetchup14
AG
After making a Key lime pie for tonight I can unequivocally say my least favorite task is making homemade whipped cream by hand. I should've used the mixer.
RCR06
AG
HTownAg98 said:

Naveronski said:

HTownAg98 said:

Potcake said:

Bake it in the oven.
Wait, what?

Whisk together the flour and your melted fat, and put it in a 350 degree oven. It will take 1.5-3 hours, depending on the color you want.
Or about 6 minutes in a microwave.
fta09
AG
FancyKetchup14 said:

After making a Key lime pie for tonight I can unequivocally say my least favorite task is making homemade whipped cream by hand. I should've used the mixer.
I use an immersion blender with a whisk attachment. Takes a few minutes.
Max Power
AG
Frying anything, it just always results in a mess and the house stinks afterward. Flour everywhere, I always end up with club hands after trying to keep one hand dry and one hand wet. It makes me sad too because of how good homemade fried chicken is, but the mess and smell afterward are the worst. I'll fry outside on my grill side burner if there isn't much wind.

But a lot of the things others dislike I enjoy. My wife gets mad when I take the time to do things right and from scratch. Why are you making tortillas when I can get them at the store? Seriously, that stuff from Mission tortillas isn't a tortilla, good tortillas can be eaten alone, I make damn good tortillas. Why are you making a cake from scratch when there's box mix? She did recant on that when I made her a birthday cake from scratch with Italian buttercream. Why are you making sauce when I can just buy it? I like making roux, because people have to leave me alone or the food will be ruined. I like chopping veggies and getting the mis en place together.

RK
AG
Sounds like my wife
JYDog90
AG
Pinching the ends off green beans.
Formerly Willy Wonka
Girlhowdy
AG
Why is it bad to rinse the chicken?
Tree Hugger
AG
Lil$Ag said:

you just end up splashing potential salmonella all over your sink and counter
schmendeler
AG
Lil$Ag said:

i enjoy pointless tasks. i like to arrange my grains of rice in tidy rows before cooking them.
fta09
AG
You should dry the meat off with some paper towels. This helps you achieve a better sear and get better texture on meats, but there's no need to rinse it. As others have said, it just increases the likelihood that you will splash stuff around and cross-contaminate.
Ogre09
AG
And wet chciken doesn't brown easily. Gotta boil off all that surface water before it will brown.
Cromagnum
AG
Cleaning.
Girlhowdy
AG
I put UNrinsed chicken breasts on to marinate last night. If I die of cooties, it's all on y'all!
GeorgiAg
AG
HTownAg98 said:

Hit it with a torch.
A lot of life's problems can be solved with this.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.