Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Least Favorite Cooking Tasks

7,123 Views | 91 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by GeorgiAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
im In the minority but i find garlic easy to work and honestly would rather work with garlic over even tomatoes or onions.

For garlic, I use the broad side of the knife to get started. It is pretty easy after that.
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
whisking by hand
Agasaurus Tex
AG
Cutting up veggies.
Ogre09
AG
For a lot of things I just throw the whole sprig of thyme in and pick it out later. Cuz ain't nobody got time for that.
Ogre09
AG
msechelski said:

whisking by hand

Immersion blender with a whisk attachment. YWIA
e cartman
AG
If you have a colander with small holes you can pull the thyme sprigs through and it will strip the stems. Super easy
MichaelJ
AG
HTownAg98 said:

Hit it with a torch.

I have a torch - this is now the second use for it - the first being creme brle.

Anything else it's good for?
BMX Bandit
Potcake said:

Stirring a roux for 30+ minutes

This is one of my favorite thinks
MikesFamousJava
AG
Dicing/chopping onions. Nobody else has mentioned this yet...do y'all know some trick that I don't know or do I just have baby eyes?
ORAggieFan
MikesFamousJava said:

Dicing/chopping onions. Nobody else has mentioned this yet...do y'all know some trick that I don't know or do I just have baby eyes?

My wife eyes are super sensitive to onions. They rarely bother me.

For dicing, know to keep the root side on until done. So easy that way.
HTownAg98
MichaelJ said:

HTownAg98 said:

Hit it with a torch.

I have a torch - this is now the second use for it - the first being creme brle.

Anything else it's good for?

Roasting marshmallows, roasting peppers, removing bubbles from a custard/pudding.
HTownAg98
MikesFamousJava said:

Use a sharp knife. The sharper the knife, the faster you can get them chopped, and the less time you spend lingering over them. You might also try switching to sweet onions. They tend to have less of the sulfur compounds that make your eyes water.
Ogre09
AG
HTownAg98 said:

MikesFamousJava said:

Use a sharp knife. The sharper the knife, the faster you can get them chopped, and the less time you spend lingering over them. You might also try switching to sweet onions. They tend to have less of the sulfur compounds that make your eyes water.

Sharp knives also release less irritants, as they cut more and crush less.
schmendeler
AG
MikesFamousJava said:

swim goggles work 100%. safety glasses also help.
Ag_07
AG
Shelling and deveining shrimp
Potcake
AG
I end up bleeding every time I shuck oysters.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Ag_07 said:

This is a good one.
HTownAg98
I don't have a good tip for shrimp. Only thing I can say to that is that is they are bigger than 16/25 shrimp, I don't bother with deveining them.
07ag
AG
trimming a brisket

or cleaning the dishes
https://ts.la/eric59704
Quinn
AG
TexAg2001 said:

• Dishes / Cleanup: I clean as I go so it doesn't seem so overwhelming after the meal. I also strive to use as few pots/pans/utensils as possible. On the other hand, when my my wife cooks, she seems to use every single cooking appurtenance and surface we own, does not clean up along the way, and doesn't allow me to help clean up because I'll be "in the way". I've learned to live with it, but it certainly makes my OCD flare up. LOL
  • Following a recipe: I typically cook by feel and taste. I enjoy looking at what's in my pantry/fridge and coming up with a meal based off what's on hand. Sure, I'll also find a recipe and gather the called for ingredients, but hate referring back to the recipe as I cook.

Insert SpidermansPointing.gif
Ag_07
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

Ag_07 said:

This is a good one.

It's the worst. Adds at least an hour to prep time because I never cook any more than a 1 lb at a time.

I'm also convinced that restaurant chef/kitchen staffs hate it as well since they'll serve shrimp in the shell and try and pass it off as 'giving it more flavor'.

F that! I know you don't wanna do it but don't make me sit at the table and dig through my shrimp and grits to take the shell off these shrimp.

OK...Rant over
MichaelJ
AG
Ag_07 said:

Bruce Almighty said:

Ag_07 said:

This is a good one.

It's the worst. Adds at least an hour to prep time because I never cook any more than a 1 lb at a time.

I'm also convinced that restaurant chef/kitchen staffs hate it as well since they'll serve shrimp in the shell and try and pass it off as 'giving it more flavor'.

F that! I know you don't wanna do it but don't make me sit at the table and dig through my shrimp and grits to take the shell off these shrimp.

OK...Rant over

Peeling shrimp is easy - as for deveining - I say just eat the poop ya babies
Agasaurus Tex
AG
Peeling and deveining shrimp for shrimp and crab gumbo is why I only make it once a year. I know I can buy it ready to cook but need the shells for stock.
mike073
AG
My mother found one of these like 50 years ago and I have been using one ever since. Peels and de-veins in one easy push. After the head is removed, push it into the shrimp where the black vein shows and slide in right in. Separates the shell at the feet and removes the vein. They are like 99 cents near the HEB seafood counter.

Gig 'em Aggies!

Ogre09
AG
My seafood market will peel and devein for free.
O'Doyle Rules
AG
Shredding chicken
austinag1997
AG
Rinsing/cleaning chicken.
Ogre09
AG
Don't rinse your chicken
schmendeler
AG
what does rinsing chicken accomplish? what is the goal there?
Ogre09
AG
The goal is to remove germs.

What it accomplishes is spreading germs and making your chicken wet.
investorAg83
AG
Ogre09 said:

Don't rinse your chicken
This x infinity
investorAg83
AG
O'Doyle Rules said:

Shredding chicken
If you have a stand mixer, just throw it in with the paddle attachment. Done in 30 seconds.
schmendeler
AG
Ogre09 said:

The goal is to remove germs.

What it accomplishes is spreading germs and making your chicken wet.
i thought that might be the case, but i couldn't wrap my mind around someone thinking that would actually work.
Sazerac
AG
You put a whole chicken in the bowl? Doesn't seem like that would fit.
mazag08
AG
Roast the garlic first.

1. Cut off stem
2. Wrap in foil with former stem side up and exposed at the top
3. Drizzle with olive oil
4. Stick in over on 400 for 30 min
5. Take out and let cool for a couple minutes, then you can squeeze the individual bulbs out like pimples. And it tastes awesome.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.