Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Impossible/beyond burger

10,346 Views | 76 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Mucho austin
terradactylexpress
How long do you want to ignore this user?
What a moronic comment
Joe Exotic
AG
terradactylexpress said:

What a moronic comment

Disagree. I think it's right on point.
FtBendTxAg
AG
2019 has struck the food board.
cevans_40
AG
terradactylexpress said:

What a moronic comment

What a moronic handle
Potcake
AG
FtBendTxAg said:

2019 has struck the food board.

GB has struck the food board.

fify
terradactylexpress
Impressive comeback
cevans_40
AG
terradactylexpress said:

Impressive comeback

Glad you like it.
Slicer97
AG
I like animal flesh. I also like fruit, nuts, grains, and vegetables.

However, I think meat should taste like meat (and the kind of meat it is - I'm looking at you, turkey "bacon"), and vegetables should taste like vegetables.
cevans_40
AG
https://qph.fs.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-fed3760627d1c7c765be34c75fac4315
AggieOO
i wasn't overly impressed with these burgers. The texture is like undercooked hamburger. The taste is in the ballpark. Its not bad, but I told my wife that if i want a "veggie" burger, i'd rather eat a black bean burger. The ones I make are damn tasty, but aren't trying to be like a real hamburger. If i want a greasy hamburger, I'm eating the real thing.
BullSprig07
AG
Quote:

I like veggie burgers as well, but, there's a bigger picture with Impossible and Beyond. Their goal is to create a substitute for meat due to the negative environmental consequences of animal agriculture and to a lesser degree the negative health consequences.

Environment- A Beyond Burger has +4 pounds of total emissions per pound of product. A pound of pastured beef can be either carbon neutral or even negative depending on the study you look at.

Health- Animal Fats are not the problem in the American diet. Vegetable oils are up 1500% in the last 100 years. Margarine up 450%. Butter and lard down 80%. I don't think I need to lay out the increased percentage of heart-disease, diabetes and obesity that goes along with this.

Eat meat substitutes it if you want. It doesn't make any sense to me though.
terradactylexpress
Link to the negative emissions on cattle?
FIDO*98*
AG
That's so absurd it's not even funny. Just use a little basic logic and you can figure out pretty quickly there's no way that could be true

Producing a Beyond Burger requires 99% less water, 93% land, 90% fewer greenhouse gas emissions and nearly 50% less energy than a 1/4lb beef burger, one Impossible Burger has been shown to save the equivalent of 75 square feet of land, half a tub of bathwater and 18 miles of emissions in a car
Potcake
AG
I had the Impossible burger at Hopdoddy yesterday. It was better than I expected but had a bit of an aftertaste but I would do it again.
SJEAg
AG
This looks great for vegetarians, but I guess there isn't much here health-wise? Looking at the nutritional values, it looks worse than a normal burger?

Similar calories and fat, more carbs, less protein, more sodium? I'd be really excited if I could eat this more often than I allow myself burgers but doesn't look like that's the case.
evan_aggie
AG
K2T2 said:

Bo Darville said:

K2T2 said:

Beyond Burger is great! I love it, it renders fat just like a burger made out of a dead animal, and it's fatty, savory, and you can treat it like a burger or ground beef (like tacos). You can get it at Aldi this week for $4.49. Honestly, I think it's better than a burger, and here is 7 years of badly cooked burgers for you for making light of the murder of animals simply because you think it tastes marginally better.

Dead animals taste awesome and I don't see how I can cook a plant to medium and get that awesome tinge of pink myoglobin on my bun.
Yeah, I mean, for example, the Impossible Burger contains a plant-based heme, but whatever dude. Your myoglobin. In the meantime, I've always wanted to try human meat. By your logic, it's totally cool and dismissable if I waltz in, hit your with a bolt hammer, and turn you into some BBQ pulled human sammiches on Hawaiian bread, soooo, doing anything tonight?

Any number of carnivores would kill you instantly for food if they had opposable thumbs and a higher mental capa... okay...just opposable thumbs.

Joe Exotic
AG
FIDO*98* said:

That's so absurd it's not even funny. Just use a little basic logic and you can figure out pretty quickly there's no way that could be true

Producing a Beyond Burger requires 99% less water, 93% land, 90% fewer greenhouse gas emissions and nearly 50% less energy than a 1/4lb beef burger, one Impossible Burger has been shown to save the equivalent of 75 square feet of land, half a tub of bathwater and 18 miles of emissions in a car

And all of that is worth real meat 20 times over.
htxag09
AG
FIDO*98* said:

Don't get me wrong, I believe these burgers are better for the environment than beef, but really don't see how this could be true. Basic logic tells me beef would be pretty unaffordable if this were the case....

So a pound of ground beef consumes throughout it's supply chain life cycle more than (this is just what an Impossible burger saves) 300 sq feet of land, 2 full tubs of bathwater (whatever ambiguous reference that is) and 72 miles of car emissions?
chipotle
htxag09 said:

FIDO*98* said:

Don't get me wrong, I believe these burgers are better for the environment than beef, but really don't see how this could be true. Basic logic tells me beef would be pretty unaffordable if this were the case....

So a pound of ground beef consumes throughout it's supply chain life cycle more than (this is just what an Impossible burger saves) 300 sq feet of land, 2 full tubs of bathwater (whatever ambiguous reference that is) and 72 miles of car emissions?

nuh uh. Read it on facebook. True.
HTownAg98
FIDO*98* said:

And an ingredient list I can barely pronounce.

For a group that professes to wanting to eat more natural foods and be better for the environment, an Impossible burger seems like a huge contradiction.
GAC06
AG
Exactly. Just eat veggies. There's lots of tasty things to make without trying to re-engineer meat.
GAC06
AG
But I'll keep eating meat, thank you very much.
FIDO*98*
AG
Dang man, I'm usually on the same page with you, but, not seeing eye to eye on this one.

Can you name every chemical and process that takes a blade of grass and turns it into a Cow muscle?
Slicer97
AG
I can't, but it's a natural process. Nothing natural about trying to make veggies taste like meat. Vegetables taste best when they taste like vegetables.
Potcake
AG
Quote:

I can't, but it's a natural process.

A hundred years ago probably, not even close today.
Slicer97
AG
Still more natural than the impossible burger. Give bovine critter food, bovine critter grows more beef.

Nothing unnatural about that at all. If you're talking about hormone treatment, all that does is make the bovine critter grow it's beef more quickly and efficiently. Chemically, the difference between a treated carcass and an untreated carcass is so negligible that it's indistinguishable.

Personally, I buy grass fed when I can. Because I think it tastes better. Not because of some pseudo-scientific BS than hormone-enhanced, grain-fed beef is unhealthy.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Plow Burger and Arlos both have awesome ones. I love meat but don't mind eating substitutes if they are good.
Philip J Fry
AG
You know whose really obsessed with meat?

Vegetarians.
biobioprof
I tried the Impossible Burger at Napa flats.

There are many beef burgers that are better, but I've had real burgers that were worse.

I thought it was better than any turkey burger ever made.

I found myself wondering how it would be with bacon.
Slicer97
AG
Everything is better with bacon. Fact.
Aggie09Derek
AG
Turkey Burger at Grub is amazing....
Robert C. Christian
AG
FDA gave approval for grocery store sales starting in September.

https://www.engadget.com/2019/07/31/impossible-foods-gets-fda-approval-to-sell-fake-meat-in-grocery/
ValleyRatAg
AG
If you love animals so much, why are you eating all their food?
ValleyRatAg
AG
Saxsoon
AG
I have tried the impossible and beyond at the company cafeteria. Ruined both with cheese and bacon lol. One bite of beyond threw it out and get something else. Impossible I finished and was impressed. If you had t told me I would have thought it was am oddly seasoned burger. Like it was cooked in peanut oil
Fighting Texas Aggie Class of 2012
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.