Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Impossible/beyond burger

10,167 Views | 76 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Mucho austin
chipotle
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Saw these at the heb. Anyone try these? I'm curious what this tastes like....but not 5.99/package of 2 curious.
Matsui
AG
Cheaper than at a restaurant.
jh0400
AG
I've tried the Impossible Burger and Hopdoddy, and it is surprisingly good.
Vernada
AG
I subbed an impossible patty at a burger joint a while back just to try it.

I thought the flavor was good, but the patty didn't want to stay together as well as a regular patty - it was trying to crumble out of the burger.

I liked it fine but haven't had one since.
HTownAg98
It's fine for what it is, but it doesn't taste like a beef burger.
chipotle
It is decided then. The delicious murder of Cattle will continue.
HTownAg98
'Murca.
Ag_07
AG
But it's not a burger
GeorgiAg
AG
Soy and seed oil. No thanks.
K2T2
Beyond Burger is great! I love it, it renders fat just like a burger made out of a dead animal, and it's fatty, savory, and you can treat it like a burger or ground beef (like tacos). You can get it at Aldi this week for $4.49. Honestly, I think it's better than a burger, and here is 7 years of badly cooked burgers for you for making light of the murder of animals simply because you think it tastes marginally better.
K2T2
GeorgiAg said:

There is no soy in the Beyond Burger (the Impossible Burger isn't available in stores yet), and the oils are canola and coconut, so oils you already eat all the time in other ready made foods that you buy.
chipotle
K2T2 said:

....and here is 7 years of badly cooked burgers for you for making light of the murder of animals simply because you think it tastes marginally better.

'03ag
K2T2 said:

GeorgiAg said:

There is no soy in the Beyond Burger (the Impossible Burger isn't available in stores yet), and the oils are canola and coconut, so oils you already eat all the time in other ready made foods that you buy.
Coconut murder.
Joe Exotic
AG
K2T2 said:

Beyond Burger is great! I love it, it renders fat just like a burger made out of a dead animal, and it's fatty, savory, and you can treat it like a burger or ground beef (like tacos). You can get it at Aldi this week for $4.49. Honestly, I think it's better than a burger, and here is 7 years of badly cooked burgers for you for making light of the murder of animals simply because you think it tastes marginally better.

Dead animals taste awesome and I don't see how I can cook a plant to medium and get that awesome tinge of pink myoglobin on my bun.
K2T2
Bo Darville said:

K2T2 said:

Dead animals taste awesome and I don't see how I can cook a plant to medium and get that awesome tinge of pink myoglobin on my bun.
Yeah, I mean, for example, the Impossible Burger contains a plant-based heme, but whatever dude. Your myoglobin. In the meantime, I've always wanted to try human meat. By your logic, it's totally cool and dismissable if I waltz in, hit your with a bolt hammer, and turn you into some BBQ pulled human sammiches on Hawaiian bread, soooo, doing anything tonight?
'03ag
K2T2 said:

Bo Darville said:

K2T2 said:

Yeah, I mean, for example, the Impossible Burger contains a plant-based heme, but whatever dude. Your myoglobin. In the meantime, I've always wanted to try human meat. By your logic, it's totally cool and dismissable if I waltz in, hit your with a bolt hammer, and turn you into some BBQ pulled human sammiches on Hawaiian bread, soooo, doing anything tonight?
Ok fine. We get it. Your arbitrary moral line is better than our arbitrary moral line. We neanderthals bow to your superior enlightenment and deeply regret our inability to reach the higher moral plane.
Tanya 93
As someone who regularly eats veggie burgers, there is no reason to create burgers that taste exactly like and have the texture of meat.

If I wanted a beef or turkey burger, I would have one.
I like the texture of veggie burgers because they are different
chipotle
Tanya 93 said:

...there is no reason to create burgers that taste exactly like and have the texture of meat.

So they don't have to use all those farting climate changing cows and make a suitable replacement to populate the McDonald's and Burger Kings of this world.
Joe Exotic
AG
K2T2 said:

Bo Darville said:

K2T2 said:

You're seriously equating meat eating to cannibalism?
HTownAg98
K2T2 said:

Bo Darville said:

K2T2 said:

FIDO*98*
AG
Tanya 93 said:

As someone who regularly eats veggie burgers, there is no reason to create burgers that taste exactly like and have the texture of meat.

If I wanted a beef or turkey burger, I would have one.
I like the texture of veggie burgers because they are different

I like veggie burgers as well, but, there's a bigger picture with Impossible and Beyond. Their goal is to create a substitute for meat due to the negative environmental consequences of animal agriculture and to a lesser degree the negative health consequences.

Impossible Burger is much better than Beyond. I'm looking forward to them hitting retail shelves later this year. Beyond Italian Sausage is actually quite good. It's not homemade/north east level, but, it's better in many ways than supermarket brands found in TX. The Bratwurst aren't terrible either
Joe Exotic
AG
I can see where a ground substitute might get close. But i just don't see them working something in regards to whole cuts like brisket or steaks, especially bone in steaks.
GeorgiAg
AG

FIDO*98*
AG
Bo Darville said:

I can see where a ground substitute might get close. But i just don't see them working something in regards to whole cuts like brisket or steaks, especially bone in steaks.

This is the space that Memphis Meats is working towards. They will be cloning and brewing actual meat

*wrong emoji
jeffdjohnson
K2T2 said:

Bo Darville said:

K2T2 said:

The clean meat/cultured meat space is fascinating. At some point you theoretically could extract your own cells, grow them then make a pulled you sandwich.

I think some of these companies are talking a big game and are further off from mass production than they would like to admit. But the theory is sound and it will be a game-changer if properly pulled off. Better for the environment, more sustainable, scale-able and lacking animal cruelty.
Joe Exotic
AG
"animal cruelty"
hbc07
AG
K2T2 said:

Bo Darville said:

K2T2 said:

Potcake
AG
Bo Darville said:

"animal cruelty"

You don't think there is any animal cruelty in the mass production of beef, chicken, and pork?
Joe Exotic
AG
I don't care if there is. They taste good.
Stan Crowch
AG
Bo Darville said:

I don't care if there is. They taste good.
That's fair. Do you care if people torture animals for their own pleasure?
Joe Exotic
AG
Of course. That's just sick. Killing for food is great and dying is going to suck for the animal no matter how humanely it's done. But I guess that's why it's great to be on top of the food chain.
MichaelJ
AG
Bo Darville said:

Of course. That's just sick. Killing for food is great and dying is going to suck for the animal no matter how humanely it's done. But I guess that's why it's great to be on top of the food chain.

Meanwhile, in California, a live look in on K2T2

?itemid=9536199
tsuag10
AG
jeffdjohnson said:

The clean meat/cultured meat space is fascinating. At some point you theoretically could extract your own cells, grow them then make a pulled you sandwich.

I think some of these companies are talking a big game and are further off from mass production than they would like to admit. But the theory is sound and it will be a game-changer if properly pulled off. Better for the environment, more sustainable, scale-able and lacking animal cruelty.

It is fascinating for sure, but you are exactly right about their current status. They've got a lot of private equity groups involved and they are looking for more. A guy at a conference I was at this summer claimed they are 2-3 years away from bringing product to market, but everything else I've heard says at least 5-10 yrs. We shall see...

The first commercialized products we will see using cultured meat will likely be burger patties and/or chicken nuggets that are made using either a blend of plant protein or real meat with the cultured meat. Products using 100% cultured meat will be extremely difficult to achieve without significant technological innovations.
Bobby Petrino`s Neckbrace
I would much rather pour my disposable investment dollars into weed than this crap.
cevans_40
AG
Potcake said:

Bo Darville said:

"animal cruelty"

You don't think there is any animal cruelty in the mass production of beef, chicken, and pork?

Every time I ask a cow, chicken, or pig how they are doing they say just fine. None have complained of any cruelty yet.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.