Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Backyard Smoker vs. Pellet Grill

7,478 Views | 39 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by houag80
Cassius
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Cstrickland05 said:

Cassius said:

Ok, looking for info on the Traeger, I see this. If true, it's a definate no on having to buy pellets only from Traeger:

"the bad It's expensive and uses special wood pellets made only by Traeger. You have to clean it often, otherwise it won't ignite properly. You need to tend it periodically or risk the grill's fire to fizzle out unexpectedly."

You can use any wood pellets you want.

Are you positive? What if you have an issue with the pellet feed during warranty period... will they insist you use their pellets?
Austintm
Cstrickland05 said:

Cassius said:

Ok, looking for info on the Traeger, I see this. If true, it's a definate no on having to buy pellets only from Traeger:

"the bad It's expensive and uses special wood pellets made only by Traeger. You have to clean it often, otherwise it won't ignite properly. You need to tend it periodically or risk the grill's fire to fizzle out unexpectedly."

You can use any wood pellets you want.
Correct. Never had an issue using non-Traeger pellets. The B & B brand work great
AggieSam02
AG
Any pellet in any pellet smoker. They are all uniform in size. Not uniform in product though. Some brands use more filler versus the variety that's on the bag.
Cassius
This is from Amazon Q&A, three years ago:

Q: Do you have to use Traeger brand wood pellets in this?

Answer this question
A: The inside of the Treager hopper states that the warranty will be void if you use anything other than Treager pellets.

Caleb Morrison 3 years ago
Comments | Leave a Comment
No, but truth be known their pellets are great, there smokers notsomuch

Robert A. Flynn 2 years ago
A: I'm not sure if any other pellets are compatible
You might try Google to ask.

Karen 3 years ago
Leave a Comment
A: Yes you can use other pellets. They work just fine, if not better. Traeger pellets are fairly low quality pellets in my mind. Traeger can say whatever they want about voiding the warranty but it's not enforceable.

J. Woodington 3 years ago

: Do you have to use target pellet s in this grill

Jerry White 2 years ago
Leave a Comment
A: I have always used traeger pellets with good results. You can put in other pellets but traeger advises only use their pellets or it will void your warranty

Sharon Langford 3 years ago
Leave a Comment
A: Traeger states "Using other brand wood pellets voids warranty," that being stated.....you can use other brands. Just don't tell Traeger if you have to use the warranty. I typically purchase 40lb bags of pellets right here on Amazon. Most are better prices than the Traeger brand.

JustmeVonB 3 years ago
Comments | Leave a Comment
TXAG 05
AG
It's up to you, but any pellets work. I've had mine for a few years and no issues. You just need to keep an eye on the hopper to make sure you don't run out.

I think you are worrying too much about this.
houag80
AG
Almost every pellet burner has an insert in the deflector/baffle plate above the firebox. This is for cleaning and/or insertion of a perforated plate for flame grilling. If you take this insert out and vacuum out the firebox after every cook..... you will have no problems no matter the brand of pellets used or the brand of smoker.

As others have said, stay away from the pellets with fillers. Look for 100% hardwood pellets.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.