Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Backyard Smoker vs. Pellet Grill

7,465 Views | 39 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by houag80
Outlaw0206
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Pellet Smoker**

Been debating back in forth between the two for some time. What are the general thoughts? I like old school and tending to the fire. However I am in the military and move every few years and moving a 650lb smoker is a pain.

I have not dealt with Pellet's at all, but have heard generally good things. Anyone have any insight/ potential best pellet's on the market?
thisguy05
AG
I have stuck burner on a trailer that's so large as to be unusable except on special occasions. I want a pellet smoker for the backyard. That's what I'd lean toward.
AggieSam02
AG
Take it from someone that sells them all, if you want something easy to use get a pellet smoker but if you want a grill to last practically forever get a Big Green Egg.

If you go pellet get one that will get hot enough to grill and sear directly too. Outlaw smokers is the one we are currently liking the best in the mid price point. Memphis and twin eagles in the high end segment. All 3 are good.
Outlaw0206
AG
Thanks for the feedback!
ORAggieFan
Can't beat a Weber Smokey Mountain with temp control.

If you go pellet, go high end and research pellet quality.
Outlaw0206
AG
Do you know anything about the Camp Chef SmokePro LUX? Can't figure out where they sale those Outlaw grills
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Egg is the most versatile but expensive
Pellet is easy but pretty monosyllabic. It's and oven with some smoke flavor
Offset stick burner is best for smoking meats but little else, but gives an excuse to sit in the yard and drink
jh0400
AG
AggieSam02 said:

Take it from someone that sells them all, if you want something easy to use get a pellet smoker but if you want a grill to last practically forever get a Big Green Egg.

I'll echo the kamado rec, but I'm not sure how well a ceramic grill would work for someone who moves around a lot. I have a Broil King Keg 5000 that I really like. It's really easy to control and the steel is quite a bit less fragile than its ceramic cousins.
Vernada
AG
ORAggieFan said:

Can't beat a Weber Smokey Mountain with temp control.

If you go pellet, go high end and research pellet quality.
What kind of temp control do you have on your WSM?

I've recently 'reacquired' my WSM after several years of not having it.

I'd like to improve it a bit - I'd hate to get a whole new smoker because (like you say) it's already a pretty decent rig.
Austintm
I've had a Traeger for a few years. Used to use an offset. Traeger are incredibly convenient -- you can do a short smoke on a steak and then reverse sear, do wings, chicken, etc. Very easy to use, and very easy to clean. The newer versions generate more heat and more smoke.

It's a myth that you can't get enough smoke with a Traeger, if you use it correctly. Best part is I can wake up very early, throw on a brisket (or pork butt) and go back to bed.
YourFavAggie
AG
Had the same internal debate for a while. Ended up with a RECTEC Bull and couldn't be happier.
Eyes of texas Crying
CajunAggie
AG
Was a stick-burner purist for a long time. Had the large Lyfe Tyme (fire box, main chamber, left-hand closet) for several years and loved it. Switched to a Traeger a year ago and it's awesome. Plenty of heat, plenty of smoke, precision temp control, easy to clean, and it frees me up to do other things while I'm cooking. Highly recommend.
ironmanag
AG
CajunAggie said:

Was a stick-burner purist for a long time. Had the large Lyfe Tyme (fire box, main chamber, left-hand closet) for several years and loved it. Switched to a Traeger a year ago and it's awesome. Plenty of heat, plenty of smoke, precision temp control, easy to clean, and it frees me up to do other things while I'm cooking. Highly recommend.

+1 to this.
According to the Biden White House, what Joe Biden says does not represent the official position of the Biden administration.
Joe Exotic
AG
Kamado Joe
himynameismason
AG
Man I would go with the pellet or electric in general. Yes, with a fire box you may get a better cook (maybe?) but the convenience of a pellet/electric means would actually lend to you actually using the smoker more than just a handful of times a year. I bought a Smokin-it model #1 electric smoker and I couldn't be happier. I use that sucker like a crock pot. I put the meat in, go to work, then check at lunch. It is so simple and easy that I use it ALL THE TIME. I had an offset that I ended up using only a couple times in 4-5 years. It was just a hassle. Plus now I have 4 kids. I don't really have the time to doctor a fire.
himynameismason
AG
I've got a buddy who has a couple Traegers and he loves them. He's able to keep up with them via Bluetooth from his office.
gvine07
AG
I just wanted to chime in and say there's no wrong choice. People with stick burners love them. People with WSMs love them. People with pellets love them. People with BGEs love them.

Pellets are easy, but to keep them running smooth there is a clean up time afterwards.

If you're leaning towards fire then do that!
AgTrip
Pit boss 700 under $400. Thing is amazing. I cook everything on it. Roast veggies , ribs , brisket, smoke burgers , fish even wood fire pizzas. I quit going out to eat cause its so easy and awesome to use!!!
houag80
AG
I bought a Memphis 3 years ago....one of the best investments I've ever made. Always stays on temp with no fluctuation.
Vernada
AG
AgTrip said:

Pit boss 700 under $400. Thing is amazing. I cook everything on it. Roast veggies , ribs , brisket, smoke burgers , fish even wood fire pizzas. I quit going out to eat cause its so easy and awesome to use!!!

How long have you had it? I'm wondering about longevity on units at this price point.
Sooner Born
gvine07 said:

I just wanted to chime in and say there's no wrong choice. People with stick burners love them. People with WSMs love them. People with pellets love them. People with BGEs love them.

Pellets are easy, but to keep them running smooth there is a clean up time afterwards.

If you're leaning towards fire then do that!

You're wrong. If you don't cook brisket the way I do, use the smoker I use and have the taste preferences that I do, then you're wrong and inferior. Simple as that.
Philip J Fry
AG
AgTrip said:

Just bought one and did s brisket. Ended up being the easiest cook I've ever done. Had a nice smoke ring and good bark. Looking forward to trying new things on it.
B-1 83
AG
Neighbor has both. The pellet smoker tends to not give the flavor he likes if used for long cooking. He'll start briskets on his smoker, then transfer to the pellet smoker for the last 2-3 hours.
Diggity
AG
Couldn't you do the same thing with an oven instead of the pellet smoker?
Duncan Idaho
Diggity said:

Couldn't you do the same thing with an oven instead of the pellet smoker?

I guess it depends if he is wrapping or not.
toothy00
AG
Been researching pellet smokers all week as well. Think I've narrowed it down to the Rec Tec RT-700 Bull or the Traeger Timberline 850. Wish I could see the Bull in a store, but its not distributed by dealers so you have to know someone who owns one to get a look/feel for craftsmanship. Took a good look at the Timberline 850 (2019) at Elliot's Hardware yesterday and it is surely and upgrade over past models. Does anyone have experience with either of these?
n_touch
Have you looked at Green Mountain? I was in the same boat on Rec Tec. My final two were Trager and GM. I ended up with GM. The price was a lot better than Traeger and there was not a drop off in product. I have had it for about a year and we use it weekly if not more.

https://greenmountaingrills.com/products/grills/daniel-boone-wifi-prime/

There is not a second level, but there are some that you can grab from amazon to increase you cooking area for $30.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Once it hits 145 or so you don't get more smoke flavor wrapped or not, but you do get more color.

Enjoy your new oven, wink
Vernada
AG
quit thinking about it and just get a MAK
AustinCountyAg
I just got a camp chef 2 weeks ago and it is fantastic. The easy ash clean out is what made me choose it over pit poss. I've cooked ribs and smoked a meatloaf on it already and both have been excellent. It's super easy and convenient.
Cassius
toothy00 said:

Been researching pellet smokers all week as well. Think I've narrowed it down to the Rec Tec RT-700 Bull or the Traeger Timberline 850. Wish I could see the Bull in a store, but its not distributed by dealers so you have to know someone who owns one to get a look/feel for craftsmanship. Took a good look at the Timberline 850 (2019) at Elliot's Hardware yesterday and it is surely and upgrade over past models. Does anyone have experience with either of these?

The RT has a PID controller and heavier guage steel.

If you're willing to spend that kind of money, I'd go with the RT.
Cassius
Pellet.

Do you like jerky? They make great jerky. Set it and forget it.
Cassius
Ok, looking for info on the Traeger, I see this. If true, it's a definate no on having to buy pellets only from Traeger:

"the bad It's expensive and uses special wood pellets made only by Traeger. You have to clean it often, otherwise it won't ignite properly. You need to tend it periodically or risk the grill's fire to fizzle out unexpectedly."
TXAG 05
AG
Cassius said:

Ok, looking for info on the Traeger, I see this. If true, it's a definate no on having to buy pellets only from Traeger:

"the bad It's expensive and uses special wood pellets made only by Traeger. You have to clean it often, otherwise it won't ignite properly. You need to tend it periodically or risk the grill's fire to fizzle out unexpectedly."

You can use any wood pellets you want.
ToddyHill
AG
I would agree with you. I know this thread is about stuff outside of the Weber Smoky Mountain...and that's OK. That said, My Weber SM is the bomb...and I've rocked Brisket, Pork Ribs, Beef Ribs, and Pork Boston Butt. It is way beyond my expectation.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.