Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Prime rib

17,287 Views | 87 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Keeper of The Spirits
G. hirsutum Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I want to do a prime rib for the holidays. Looking for the best recipes. The ones I've googled didn't jump out at me. Figure I probably need to try it a few times before I serve it. Cooking method will likely be indirect heat on the Weber possibly with wood chips for smoke but am open to other methods, not sous code as I don't have one and am not ready to get one, yet. For some reason I've got stuck in my head maybe some type of savory, sweet, rub maybe with coffee or something sounds really good but don't care as long as it's legit. Probably will be served with a holiday ale or porter that will also be home made, which may mean I need to steer away from sweet if the beer is sweeter, red wine of some type for the ladies. Beer will either be a orange holiday ale or a bourbon vanilla porter if that helps with flavor pairings. Whatcha got food board? Help my holidays rock
chipotle
https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2009/12/perfect-prime-rib-beef-recipe.html

This is my go to. Instead of the oven I sometimes use the BGE.
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
I love serious eats. There are a lot of times I'm a purist on meats and only do salt and pepper, but sometimes I want to mix it up too. Thanks for the suggestion
schmendeler
AG
coffee is a good rub for beef roast, imo. find one that sounds good to you.
jeffdjohnson
Smoke it with salt and pepper. Near the end get the heat cranked up to get some crust on it. Make a garlic/herb compound butter and melt it on top of the prime rib.
HTownAg98
https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/other-fun-sauce-recipes/board-sauce-recipe-adam-perry-lang

Make the board sauce and watch the video to make the prime rib. He scores the cap muscle to make prime rib burnt ends.
Texmid
AG
I smoke about 50 pounds of prime rib every month for our bar. They are done on a trailer-mounted smoker using oak. Make sure you get USDA prime beef, it makes a big difference. Before wrapping them with cooking twine I season generously with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and smoked paprika. They are wrapped tight to make them as round as possible. They go on the smoker for 2 hours at 225 degrees. After two hours I take them off and wrap them in foil. Before wrapping them I cut up a 1/4 pound stick of butter in small pieces and scatter the butter across the top. They go back on the smoker for another 2 to 2.5 hours until the internal temp hits 120. I pull them and let them rest for about an hour before serving.

I get lots of compliments. I started wrapping them after two hours because some of the people complained they tasted too smokey. The way I do it now gives them a smoke flavor but it isn't overwhelming.

ETA a picture:

schmendeler
AG
Your bar, you say?
Texmid
AG
schmendeler said:

Your bar, you say?
Yes, my in-laws own a bar in Smithville, The Front Room Wine Bar.
schmendeler
AG
Great pic!
FIDO*98*
AG
What holiday? It's August
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
I'm "planning"
BurnetAggie99
http://www.slapyodaddybbq.com/2014/12/perfect-smoked-barbecue-prime-rib-roast/

aggiebq03+
If you are planning this far ahead, buy a mini fridge and dry age that thing 60-75 days.
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
I've read some about it. What exactly does it do and how exactly would I do it?
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Mrs. O'leary's Cow Crust
aggiebq03+
Makes the meat much more tender, and the fat softer and more flavorful. Age at least 21 days for tenderness, and for most the 45-60 day range is probably good for adding a beefy flavor without the funkier cheesy flavors.

If I can do it I promise you can. My latest one I searched multiple Costco stores and couldn't find the bone in one I've done before, so trying a boneless whole roast currently.

Previous thread:
https://texags.com/forums/67/topics/2906096
Na Zdraví 87
AG
Texmid said:

I smoke about 50 pounds of prime rib every month for our bar. They are done on a trailer-mounted smoker using oak. Make sure you get USDA prime beef, it makes a big difference. Before wrapping them with cooking twine I season generously with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and smoked paprika. They are wrapped tight to make them as round as possible. They go on the smoker for 2 hours at 225 degrees. After two hours I take them off and wrap them in foil. Before wrapping them I cut up a 1/4 pound stick of butter in small pieces and scatter the butter across the top. They go back on the smoker for another 2 to 2.5 hours until the internal temp hits 120. I pull them and let them rest for about an hour before serving.

I get lots of compliments. I started wrapping them after two hours because some of the people complained they tasted too smokey. The way I do it now gives them a smoke flavor but it isn't overwhelming.

ETA a picture:

I can attest to this prime rib he makes. Damn good!
Great bar too!
Texmid
AG
Thanks, man. I'll be doing more next week. It will be a long day for me. Going to the game Thursday night.
nai06
AG
I use salt, cracked pepper, and english mustard powder
Koko Chingo
AG
Don't overthink it. The awesome thing about prime rib is that as long as you do not over cook it, it will be great.

I love smoked prime rib. For me there is one drawback to smoking it. It doesn't make an appealing gravy or au jus -- at least to me. I just do not like the smokey gravy or au jus and neither does my wife so it off the menu.

There is a solution to that problem. I go to the butcher and ask for a bunch of cutoff pieces, bones and some fat. If that is not an option you can use something cheap and fatty with bones like shank. I season everything, put it in a roaster and cook it in the oven . You can add whatever seasonings,plus onion, carrot, and celery if you like.

You are making the drippings for gravy and or au jus. You can do this a couple days ahead if you want to.

I only have gravy a few times a year. And if I am having mashed potatoes I better have an awesome gravy because I do not get it often.

*** You can do the same make ahead gravy for turkey too. I use a couple of pack of turkey wings and a pack of necks. You can smoke your turkey and still have traditional gravy.
Lateralus Ag
AG
Koko Chingo said:

Don't overthink it. The awesome thing about prime rib is that as long as you do not over cook it, it will be great.

I love smoked prime rib. For me there is one drawback to smoking it. It doesn't make an appealing gravy or au jus -- at least to me. I just do not like the smokey gravy or au jus and neither does my wife so it off the menu.

There is a solution to that problem. I go to the butcher and ask for a bunch of cutoff pieces, bones and some fat. If that is not an option you can use something cheap and fatty with bones like shank. I season everything, put it in a roaster and cook it in the oven . You can add whatever seasonings,plus onion, carrot, and celery if you like.

You are making the drippings for gravy and or au jus. You can do this a couple days ahead if you want to.

I only have gravy a few times a year. And if I am having mashed potatoes I better have an awesome gravy because I do not get it often.

*** You can do the same make ahead gravy for turkey too. I use a couple of pack of turkey wings and a pack of necks. You can smoke your turkey and still have traditional gravy.

This is a FANTASTIC idea.
HTownAg98
Make the horseradish whipped cream from ad hoc, and you won't have to worry about making an au jus ever again. My dad couldn't be more of a steak and potatoes guy, and he greatly prefers the whipped cream to au jus.
Lateralus Ag
AG
HTownAg98 said:

Make the horseradish whipped cream from ad hoc, and you won't have to worry about making an au jus ever again. My dad couldn't be more of a steak and potatoes guy, and he greatly prefers the whipped cream to au jus.

More info please. Recipe?
HTownAg98
https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/02/blowtorch-prime-rib-roast-with-horseradish-cream-thomas-keller-recipe.html
Koko Chingo
AG
Thanks Lateralus Ag and HTownAg98,

I am going to add the horseradish to the menu along with the gravy. I think it will be awesome with a sandwich the next day or even a regular (non-prime rib) roast beef sandwich.
notheranymore
Whoa. That would be good with this too:
https://www.periniranch.com/tenderloin/
Mathguy64
AG
That horseradish cream is stupid simple and stupid good. And Keller is right. It's better the next day.

I know many swear by the reverse sear. I follow his blowtorch method. It freaks out the family when I break out the propane torch on a 4 rib roast at Christmas.
Garrelli 5000
AG
With a knife, poke a bunch of holes 1" - 2" deep in the top. Stuff a sliver of garlic down each one. Makes for a killer bite when you get the garlic.
Take the trash out staff.
TUhatr
AG
I have done this method probably 10 times the last few Christmases

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/221958/chef-johns-perfect-prime-rib/

Basically searing in a scorching hot oven and then shutting it off. I have gone as far as putting Duct tape on the oven door so no one would open the oven.

Comes out perfect every time for me. I usually make a compound butter with all my herbs and smear it on to get the crust nice and browned. Literally coated like a cake. It will smoke up your oven some but you will be happy with the flavor.
Tumble Weed
HTownAg98 said:

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/02/blowtorch-prime-rib-roast-with-horseradish-cream-thomas-keller-recipe.html
Made the Horseradish cream sauce last night. Subbed cognac for the sherry because I had run out of sherry. Everyone loved it!
Austintm
I always smoke mine (I use bone-in usually can get at HEB).

I use the pured roasted garlic comes in a jar from WIlliams-Sonoma (great on any meat). Coat it heavily, then coat with kosher salt, fresh coarse ground pepper, and chopped fresh rosemary and thyme.

When it's done, put some garlic herb butter on it and let it melt while the meat is resting
Rattler12
Rub with garlic salt and #32 grind black pepper, Heat oven to 500 degree. Put in prime rib for 5 minutes /lb.
6lb roast = 30 minutes. At the end of cooking time turn off oven and walk away for 2 hours. Do not open door even kust to peek. remove. Enjoy. You can thank me later.... ps put a catch pan under the rack for the juices for an au ju sauce
aggiebq03+
Try the link in first reply in the thread. Reverse sear is better method overall. Will result in thinner temp gradient layer. And you can have final product smoking hot on the outside exactly when you want to serve. Thank me later (or rather thank J. KENJI LPEZ-ALT)
Rattler12
Looks good but I can't help but think 5 1/2 to 6 1/2 hours in a 160 or so oven can't help but draw some of the moisture from the meat but that just my opinion.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.