Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Prime rib

17,148 Views | 87 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Keeper of The Spirits
GAC06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://m.imgur.com/gallery/V2bLxi8

500 for 45 mins then 5 mins per pound at 375 then 15 mins at 425 works fine for me, and better than my image posting skills
fav13andac1)c
AG
Rattler12 said:

aggiebq03+ said:

Rattler12 said:

Looks good but I can't help but think 5 1/2 to 6 1/2 hours in a 160 or so oven can't help but draw some of the moisture from the meat but that just my opinion.

You want moisture gone from the outside, that's how you get good browning and flavor in the outer crust. The inside won't dry out because it's protected by the outside, and never gets above 125F or so if you are stopping when you should.

Compare to any BBQ that cooks at higher temp for a longer time, and ends up at a much higher final internal temp. When done right it doesn't dry out. Yes part of that is turning connective tissue to gelatin which won't happen here, but it's also a much fattier piece of meat.

I promise if you try it you won't regret it. But all I really ask is that you stop telling people that searing first before cooking is best first
I think I'll stick with my method but thank you for your opinion.

My mother in law has this same problem. Because of her own inhibitions, if someone tells her something that goes against what she believes to be true, then it can't POSSIBLY be true, despite potentially hundreds of people trying it and proving it. But in this case, I'm betting she is much more pleasant to be around.

Edit: didn't realize this was from 2 months ago. Maybe he's had a change of heart.
SJEAg
AG
OK all - doing my first prime rib tomorrow. It's not a big one, just under 4lbs, bone in prime (from HEB).

Trying to keep things simple. However, I can't make it truly medium rare like what would be expected. Wife, who will be the only other adult consumer of this meal, will not be happy and happy wife happy life right? If I cook it to internal temp of 140...would the center still be medium-rareish for my enjoyment and she'll have some more medium well on the ends? Or if at 135 are the ends still more cooked? She can probably handle medium.

Thoughts on inserting garlic? Or am I just creating escape hatches for the juices to leak out?

Should I sear at the beginning or end...tough finding real consensus of which is better? Especially given that I am probably going to need to cook this longer than typical?

evan_aggie
AG
I've done more reading than I probably should have.

I've done it before at 500F first and let it rest in oven for 2-3 hrs. I know those results and what to expect. It'll get pink in the center but will have a sizeable grey band.

I'm doing it the opposite way this year and there are a few benefits I suppose: if you set oven to 200-225 and let it sit patiently for 2-3 hrs you'll get to your temp and then I guess you can pull it and have it rest until you are ready to serve. I plan on putting it back in at 500F for 10-15 to try and char the outside. That lets me get the reheat right before we serve.

Most people will pull the roast out when temp is 118-125. I wouldn't want the final temp at 140 personally, but if you do pull it by 132-135 at the latest.

Most people joke that if you like well done then you are wasting money on prime rib and should get a different cut of steak.

aggiedad20
This thread has me nervous about my 10 lb rib I'm cooking tomorrow...I like the idea of 500 degree sear and walk away for the ease but 55 minutes (5 min per lb) sounds like an erternity. Think I'll sear for about half that then 225 it until internal temp is 125-130 ish?

This is my first attempt so any more suggestions and or prior experiences are welcome...
HTownAg98
aggiedad20 said:

This thread has me nervous about my 10 lb rib I'm cooking tomorrow...I like the idea of 500 degree sear and walk away for the ease but 55 minutes (5 min per lb) sounds like an erternity. Think I'll sear for about half that then 225 it until internal temp is 125-130 ish?

This is my first attempt so any more suggestions and or prior experiences are welcome...

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/12/perfect-prime-rib-with-red-wine-jus-recipe.html
AggieChemist
AG
PooDoo
AG
evan_aggie said:

I've done more reading than I probably should have.

I've done it before at 500F first and let it rest in oven for 2-3 hrs. I know those results and what to expect. It'll get pink in the center but will have a sizeable grey band.

I'm doing it the opposite way this year and there are a few benefits I suppose: if you set oven to 200-225 and let it sit patiently for 2-3 hrs you'll get to your temp and then I guess you can pull it and have it rest until you are ready to serve. I plan on putting it back in at 500F for 10-15 to try and char the outside. That lets me get the reheat right before we serve.

Most people will pull the roast out when temp is 118-125. I wouldn't want the final temp at 140 personally, but if you do pull it by 132-135 at the latest.

Most people joke that if you like well done then you are wasting money on prime rib and should get a different cut of steak.

I tried to please the medium well crowd in my house and ended up with an average prime rib. Next time I'm just going to carve off a few steaks and grill them separately.
aggiedad20
Turned out purt good

notheranymore
I left mine in the fridge to dry out for a couple of days in salt/pepper then did the reverse sear. Absolutely loved it. Also made Thomas Keller's whipped cream horseradish dip. DIVINE.
evan_aggie
AG
200F until 124, pulled it and watched it rise to 130F.

Not a great photo but better control or way of minimizing the grey ring.

Duncan Idaho
Any recs on the best way to reheat the left overs?

We had some of our party cancel and ended up with a fair amount of left overs.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Sous vide or I love it cold on rye bread with some horseradish sauce
khkman22
AG
Thinking of doing one for Christmas on my Akorn. If I leave the bones in, when I do the sear, do I need to turn it and let it hit the grate on multiple sides, or just set it on, bone down, just like when cooking?

Would doing the sear on a gas grill be okay, or is it necessary to do on the charcoal grill to keep flavors consistent?

If doing it on the gas grill, do I need to let it rest before doing the sear, or can I put it on right away? Really the only reason I would do the sear on the gas grill was to save time from the initial cook to the sear.

Never cooked a prime rib and my dad said he'd buy it if I could cook it.
Ham Slice MRE
Tailgate88
AG
We've always done the 500 degrees and turn off the oven method, but I got the Food Lab for Christmas last year so trying it ala' Kenji this year.

Gig-Em2003
AG
Reverse sear is very hard to screw up. Salt it up to 3 days in advance and leave uncovered in fridge. 200F until 126-128. Leave it resting for up to 1:30 until you are ready to eat. Sear at 500 for 8 minutes.

To reheat leftovers cut the roast into steaks and put in oven at 150 for half an hour. Then sear each side on a hot grill.
GAC06
AG
Does that leave enough drippings to make Yorkshire pudding?
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Man just revisited this thread after yesterday's cook and read all of rattlers posts. That's one of the crazier things I have read on the Food and Spirits board, which is usually a refuge from the other wild boards.

I agree with the serious eats, food lab, amazing ribs, Thomas Keller and numerous other sources that don't sear first. The definitive article for me was the amazing ribs article where they use the heat gun to determine doneness throughout the cut to verify it's not overdone.

I also agree on taking out the bones, they don't add as much flavor as you'd think to the meat and increase the variability of the temperature. Use the bones for gravy. I went with a NY Strip Loin Roast yesterday and preferred its taste significantly but that's purely preference

Like it or not good cooking is about consistency and controlling the variables you can control, most notably salt, fat, acid and heat.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.