Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Dry Aging Steaks at Home

9,368 Views | 40 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by aggiebq03+
aggiebq03+
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Well decided I'd try a little experiment for this Christmas season, and dry age my own steaks. Bought a mini fridge for about $100 at Home Depot (wanted a new one perfectly clean for this) and a USB fan to put inside. Purchased a whole prime grade 26.8lb bone in beef rib roast at Costco for $8.50/lb. Planning to go for +/- 45 days on this first attempt so it will be interesting but not too funky.

Initial product as purchased in package.

Then had to trim some off and deal with it since it was too big to fit in the fridge. Having some "extra" of the original unaged prime ribeye to deal with was a problem easily solved.

Placed the rest in the mini fridge to start the process on Nov 5. Put my BBQ thermometer in to watch the temp and make sure the fridge was dialed in to about 38F.

Had to leave on a trip for two weeks for work. Wife monitored the temp as staying steady at 38-39F. Came back and looks like it's doing well at 2 weeks in.

Dec 20 Update:
Well it's been 45 days, and that's all I wanted to do for this first attempt since it's for a family gathering. Pulled out and ready to make some steaks.

Took the bones off first as I didn't want to carve extra thick bone in steaks since I needed at least 6 steaks and knew the ends would need to be trimmed a bit. Then it was time to break it down.

Final count was 7.3lbs Of trimmed steaks, 8 in all though one was small. The kids need to eat too though. My original piece that went in the fridge was about 21 lbs with bone and fat cap. Not sure how that works out compared to how others fared, but it ended up at $24/lb for final product.

tsuag10
AG
Very nice. Thanks for sharing!
JHShipley
AG
Blue star. Watch listed.
Stringfellow Hawke
AG
In
Mort Rainey
I'll be interested to see how this goes!
Tx-Ag2010
AG
Awesome, that is a damn good price on the meat. IMO, 45 days has a great flavor with a little funk but not too much and is much better than 28 day aged steak.

I started three 19-20# prime ribeye roasts last week. I did 28 and 45 day steaks last year and am thinking on trying 60 days on at least one of the roasts this year. I really want a dedicated dry aging fridge but have had to settle for using the UMAI dry bags in my main refrigerator.
aggiebq03+
I had planned on 45 days initially, but now our Christmas plans in Houston got rearranged after the trip to visit family out of town. So I have to decide on trimming and freezing at 45 days, or letting the meat dry age closer to 60 days and then cooking after cutting up.

Have you had success freezing after you dry age?
Figure if I freeze I'll go get some dry ice and vacuum pack, then individually freeze in a small cooler with dry ice to get as close to flash freeze as possible.

Right now I'm leaning towards just going 60 days.
Tx-Ag2010
AG
I would go 60 days as you should get a slightly funkier flavor but that is just a personal preference as I really like the different flavor profile of the aged beef.

I don't see why you wouldn't be able to freeze the steaks though. I cut both my 28 and 45 day steaks and froze them individually in 5 mil vacuum bags. I couldn't really tell any difference in the steaks almost a year later when I finally finished eating the last of them.
Matsui
plowboy1065
plowboy1065
S
Sorry about using the wrong icon, meant to hit watching
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Tell me more about the umai bags.

Can you dry age individually cut steaks?
Tx-Ag2010
AG
Lt. Joe Bookman said:

Tell me more about the umai bags.

Can you dry age individually cut steaks?

You seal them into the bags and it allows moisture to leave without the steak adsorbing random odors from the refrigerator. You still have to use large cuts of meat as the moisture loss from a single steak would be significant.

Here are a few I have going now.

And a time lapse video I made of me trimming one I made last year.

La Fours
AG
Very cool!
La Fours
AG
With the umai bags, do you have to have a fan or can you just put a ribeye roast in it and place in a regular fridge?
tsuag10
AG
I wouldn't recommend dry aging individual steaks. If the surface drys out, you will have to trim up each steak. It would be better to age a whole cut. You will get better yields for sure.
Tx-Ag2010
AG
I just sealed them up and put them in a regular fridge. You still need to put them on a wire rack so air can circulate but you don't need a fan.

I would recommend using an untrimmed bone in ribeye as the bone and fat help slow the moisture loss.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Makes sense. I just got a side of beef. Wish I would have told them to not cut the steaks. But they were at least dry aged for 14 days. Just wanted to add a little more.
La Fours
AG
Cool. Thanks
tsuag10
AG
If they are vacuum sealed really well, you can still age the steaks individually for another 14-21 days. It just won't be dry aging. Wet aging still gives you similar results from a tenderness standpoint, you just won't get the aged flavor you get with dry aging. You just have to make sure it's vacuum sealed really well. If it's not, you can ruin some steaks.
aggiebq03+
Just FYI, if there are any anaerobic bacteria in the package, the meat can rot while wet aging. Not really any way to know until you open the package that it's happened.
tsuag10
AG
You're right, but aerobic spoilage organisms are more common and can take over very quickly, whereas anaerobic spoilage organisms are less common and grow a little slower.

It is correct that either one can spoil the product, but in my experience, the aerobic spoilage organisms are the bigger concern.
NColoradoAG
This thread is great. Buying a prime rib roast from costco this weekend and ordering umai bags.

Keep up the good work folks.
NColoradoAG
Tx-Ag2010 said:

Awesome, that is a damn good price on the meat. IMO, 45 days has a great flavor with a little funk but not too much and is much better than 28 day aged steak.

I started three 19-20# prime ribeye roasts last week. I did 28 and 45 day steaks last year and am thinking on trying 60 days on at least one of the roasts this year. I really want a dedicated dry aging fridge but have had to settle for using the UMAI dry bags in my main refrigerator.
What vacuum sealer do you use? I have one of the foodsavers that is listed as difficult to use with the Umai bags.
Tx-Ag2010
AG
NColoradoAG said:

Tx-Ag2010 said:

What vacuum sealer do you use? I have one of the foodsavers that is listed as difficult to use with the Umai bags.

I have a VacMaster VP320. It is a chamber style vacuum sealer. I haven't been able to get the bags to work perfect with mine either. It is tricky to get the seal duration dialed in and the 3 bags that come in a kit don't leave much room for error. I usually end up with a weak vacuum but it still works.

I was tempted to buy one of their recommended vacuum sealers but couldn't bring myself to do that just for a few items.
aggiebq03+
OP updated after trimming and breaking down.
Ended up going 45 days for this first attempt.
FriedTex
AG
How'd they taste?
aggiebq03+
Since I needed six for the party later this month and had seven good ones, we did get to do a quality check last night.

No really funky flavors at all, was just very tender and had an extra beefy flavor. Had a hint of almost cured like flavor, edging towards bacon. The eye was almost as tender as the cap would be on an unaged steak.

I also noticed that while I typically wouldn't eat any of the fat because it would be too chewy, I could leave on a bit as it was more tender and buttery. I wouldn't eat a hunk of it alone, but was very good with the meat.
mikus
aggiemike89
AG
I'm attempting this right now and wanted to know if once the aging is complete, can you freeze the steaks and not sacrifice quality of the aged meat?
aggiebq03+
I'm freezing mine for the next two weeks until they are needed. From other places I read it's not a problem as long as you vacuum seal them. Will update if that ended up being a problem when we cook them on Dec 31.
aggiemike89
AG
aggiebq03+ said:

I'm freezing mine for the next two weeks until they are needed. From other places I read it's not a problem as long as you vacuum seal them. Will update if that ended up being a problem when we cook them on Dec 31.
Thanks bq. That will help me. I just put mine on the rack with the pink salt this morning. Going to let it age for probably 21 days minimum. If it works, I was going to buy a few more since they are on ad at HEB and freeze them once they are aged properly.
JTrainsBabyCousin
This thread makes me hungry.
Tx-Ag2010
AG
Just pulled the first of mine. I was planning on going for 45 e holidays messed with my time table and I ended up with 48 instead. I'm going to let the other two go to 60 days and then reevaluate.

Here is a picture of my bone in ribeye roast before trimming. I didn't actually lose as much mass as I thought I might... the starting weight was 19# and after aging but prior to trimming it clocked in at 16.5#

And a couple of steaks from the roast (I ended up with 12 total)

And the finished product... Overall it was a damn good steak with a very beefy flavor and a little funk but I'm looking forward to 60 days and beyond.

Matsui
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.