Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Dry Aging Steaks at Home

9,348 Views | 40 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by aggiebq03+
aggiebq03+
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Looks like they turned out nice!
How many pounds trimmed steaks did you end up with?

Can't wait to hear what your thoughts are on the 60 day. Not sure when I'll be able to start another one just yet, but already looking forward to it.
Tx-Ag2010
AG
aggiebq03+ said:

Looks like they turned out nice!
How many pounds trimmed steaks did you end up with?

Can't wait to hear what your thoughts are on the 60 day. Not sure when I'll be able to start another one just yet, but already looking forward to it.
I ended up with a little more than 12 pounds after final trimming/bone removal. I was able to get 12 good sized steaks out of the roast.

I am really looking forward to the 60day steaks, only 10 days to go... if that goes well I might push the envelope with the last roast and go to 90 days.
Tx-Ag2010
AG
Well... I pulled the second of my roasts the other day after 62 days (it's been a hectic week with all the freezing weather and I missed the target date by 2 days).

It was definitely better than the 48 day version. It was a little beefier but there wasn't nearly as much funk as I would like, so I'm going to push my last roast to 90+. I have a business trip coming up in a few weeks so the 90 day might end up getting pushed to closer to 120 day, but it might be worth it to really push the envelope.

There wasn't too much more weight lost compared to the 48 day roast (within trimming error).

(Forgive the cutting board, I need to get some legit steak plates. I refuse to use any of my good knives on regular plates...)
schmendeler
AG
i want to do this.
aggiebq03+
Just pulled and cut up my 2nd attempt, which was for 63 days (9 weeks) in the mini fridge this time. Smelled much funkier than the 45 day steaks. Freezing them for two weeks until a big family fishing trip I was preparing these for.

I was a little worried the roast had a smaller fat cap this time. But turned out to not be an issue.

I tried cutting out individual bones this time rather than removing the meat off the bones all at once. Seemed to keep a little more meat on the steaks and was much easier.

Ended up with eight 16oz steaks.

Have to wait to taste them to decide if the next one will be 9 weeks again, or maybe push it a few more weeks.
Tx-Ag2010
AG
Nice. I pulled my last roast at 95 days and it was noticeably funkier than the 62 day. I preferred the 95 day but most of my guests (not big steak connoisseurs) preferred the milder 62 day.
aggiebq03+
Nice, was hoping you'd post back on your longer term project. Always glad to hear someone else's opinion prior to that kind of commitment!

Depending how these turn out when we cook them, it may be another 60 day to stock up the freezer for the wife an me before I can try something longer term.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.