Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Should you marinate a Ribeye Steak

10,662 Views | 37 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by pablof
Guppy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Cooking for a small group tomorrow evening - 8 people and mostly family. Wanted to go with a good thick Ribeye steak since that's my dads favorite. Was talking to a friend for menu ideas and he recommended marinating the ribeye steaks for several hours (4-6) prior to cooking them. I've never marinated a Ribeye and figured I'd lose the question here. So thoughts, ideas, recommendations? Thanks.

If it matters my menu was going to be homemade guacamole and salsa along with bacon wrapped jalapeos for a starter.
Ribeyes with oven roasted potatoes grilled veggies (bell peppers and asparagus) and a simple salad.
Duncan Idaho
Completely depends on the brand of Italian dressing you have in your pantry.

Guppy
AG
Italian dressing?!?! Great idea
fta09
AG
I wouldn't. Instead, several hours before cooking, pat them dry and cover them with kosher salt. Dry again before
tossing on the grill and sprinkle with pepper.
Max Power
AG
The only marinade it needs is salt and pepper before tossing into a sous vide bag.
Matsui
AG
No marinating. Just salt and pepper before grilling.
chipotle
I marinate from time to time. ***k the haters. I just want to watch the world burn.
biobioprof
chipotle said:

I marinate from time to time. ***k the haters. I just want to watch the world burn.
Wow, what's in your marinade? Plutonium?
Dumpster Fire
Salt/pepper and sous vide it at 130 for and hour.

Guppy
AG
So pull em right out of the fridge before cooking. Pour Italian dressing all over. Cook to well done and serve with A-1 sauce.....

Sadly I don't have a way to sous vide so I simply do the S&P routine and cook em on th grill. Thanks all
lazuras_dc
AG
I've used a marinade called Allegro before that was very good but then I saw the light and no longer use it. Just salt and pepper now.
HTownAg98
With choice grade steaks and higher, I like just salt and pepper. For cheaper steaks, the Bohlner's steak seasoning is pretty damn good.
Farmer1906
AG
Hit them with a nice olive oil a day before. Kosher Salt & Pepper an hour or so before. Then you sear and finish in the oven or start in the oven and finish with a sear. Pull them when they're rare and let the rest to a medium rare.
hbc07
AG
I'm kind of intrigued by this marinade: http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/hunting-cabin-steak (red wine, cloves, juniper, cinnamon, orange and lemon zest, and nutmeg)

But I don't want to ruin a steak to see if it's any good.
Farmer1906
AG
Hint

It's not
jeffdjohnson
Pour a Red Bull and some garlic into zip lock bag. Put steak into bag and allow the Red Bull to cook the steak at room temperature overnight. Steak is fully cooked after 20 hours in the Red Bull.
Burn-It
AG
Lots of smart-assed responses. Salt/Pepper is good, but I hit my steaks with Uncle Chris (Bolners) and a little Montreal a few hours before and refrigerate. Take them out about an hour before cook time. Hit them at 500 on the grill and turn after 5 minutes, drop temp low enough to prevent flare ups for another 5-10 minutes. Pull and rest for 5 minutes.
AKA 13-0
DiskoTroop
Eff the haters. Marinade if you like it. I like this one for filets...

2 cups pineapple juice
cup soy sauce
cup sugar
5 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
cup chopped white onion
1 1-inch piece ginger, peeled, finely chopped
Tom Hagen
AG
Wet marinade Select steaks. Dry rub for higher grades.
biobioprof
phideaux_2003 said:

2 cups pineapple juice
cup soy sauce
cup sugar
cup chopped white onion
If using fresh pineapple juice, be careful with timing. Pineapple juice is often used for the bromelain, an enzyme that digests protein. It's used as a tenderizer but can turn your meat into mush if left too long.
AggieFrankTX
This thread reminds me of a dinner that I shared with my brother about 20 years ago.

The waitress brought our steaks, asking "Do you need any steak sauce?"

He looked back at her, and said "God, I hope not."
DiskoTroop
biobioprof said:

phideaux_2003 said:

2 cups pineapple juice
cup soy sauce
cup sugar
cup chopped white onion
If using fresh pineapple juice, be careful with timing. Pineapple juice is often used for the bromelain, an enzyme that digests protein. It's used as a tenderizer but can turn your meat into mush if left too long.

Interesting!! I always use canned juice but good to know!
BQ78
AG
A-1!!! Oh look at me I'm fancy.

Hill Country Homestyle Ketchup or GTFO!
Icecream_Ag
S
biobioprof said:

phideaux_2003 said:

2 cups pineapple juice
cup soy sauce
cup sugar
cup chopped white onion
just watched a video of a guy testing tenderizing methods on steaks. All 2" thick strip steaks from same piece of beef. Used nothing, salt, pineapple and a jacar (sp?). Let them all sit for an hour then washed thoroughly and cooked to medium rare. Both testers said pineapple was the most tender but had a sweet flavor. Salt gave the most traditional flavor
752bro4
AG
phideaux_2003 said:

2 cups pineapple juice
cup soy sauce
cup sugar
cup chopped white onion
Any filet worth a damn needs S&P, and garlic if desired.

That sounds like something I would marinate those 2/$6 vacuum sealed bacon wrapped "filets" you see on the sale bin at the grocery store.

Duncan Idaho
752bro4 said:

Not gonna lie.... I have a lot of good memories of cooking those things on a tiny grill on my patio when I was young, dumb, poor and drunk.

I wouldn't touch one now but me and roommates ate a **** load of them back in the day.
cheeky
AG
If you have Prime grade, I would brush with canola oil and then season with kosher salt, coarse ground black pepper and some of this:

If you have a lower grade, a marinade could help. I use red wine, worcestershire, minced garlic and throw it in zip lock bag in the fridge for 1/2 day. Before grilling, bring the bag to room temperature. When ready to cook, remove from bag and lightly salt and add coarse ground black pepper.
IF you marinate any meat, be sure to take it out of the marinade, dry it off with a paper towel, and let it sit uncovered in the fridge for 1-2 hours prior to grilling.

This will ensure maximum Maillard reaction on the meat surface. Too often I see people pull marinated meat (often flank / fajitas) right out of the liquid and drop it on the grill resulting in several minutes of steaming before achieving any good browning.
cr
Read this:

https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/salting-brining-curing-and-injecting/dry-brining-easier-and-less-wasteful-wet-brining
DiskoTroop
752bro4 said:

phideaux_2003 said:

2 cups pineapple juice
cup soy sauce
cup sugar
cup chopped white onion
Any filet worth a damn needs S&P, and garlic if desired.

That sounds like something I would marinate those 2/$6 vacuum sealed bacon wrapped "filets" you see on the sale bin at the grocery store.

Whatever man. For me it gives the meat a delicious Asian flavor without dousing it some sugar laden sauce that's a mess on the plate. Tweek the marinade time to suit your preference for the level of marinade flavor to meat flavor.

Honestly filets rarely have a great intense flavor that I love in steak. I'm a ribeye man usually and find plain filets kinda boring. I typically do ribeyes but it seems sacreligeous to marinade one, so occasionally I will do this dish when I have good veggies to stir fry with it, as seen here:

cr
Of course they don't, that's why they are wrapped in bacon many times.
Tecolote
AG
Guess you and all the filet haters only eat the meat on one side of the bone when you get t-bones.
DiskoTroop
I don't buy T bones. Hate NY Strip. Filets are great though when done right. No hate here. Just need more than mediocre beef taste most of the time so I prefer ribeyes.
GAC06
AG
Filet needs a good sauce, not a marinade
fta09
AG
I agree. I'd rather make a good pan sauce or a chimichurri sauce to go with a steak than marinade it, but to each their own. I'm also not a fan of filets. I prefer ribeyes, but typically eat a NY strip to cut back on the fat content and still get a good balance. If I want a lean steak, I'll eat sirloin.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.