Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Makin' Bacon

36,898 Views | 134 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Two Down
gwellis
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Agave Peppered Bacon

Bourbon Brown Sugar and Agave Peppered Bacon
bbry81
I've made bacon once so far and just did the normal cure then added pepper when put it in the smoker. When you guys make these other recipes do you out those ingredients on at the same time as the cure so it sits there for 7 days as well?
JJWAGGIE
AG
Have cured and smoked two rounds of bacon... awesome stuff and will be doing it again soon. The only version I've been disappointed with is the maple brown sugar... I'm doing something wrong and not getting the flavor. Don't get me wrong, the bacon is still awesome but it's just what I would call normal flavored bacon. Any tips?
schmellba99
AG
bbry81 said:

I've made bacon once so far and just did the normal cure then added pepper when put it in the smoker. When you guys make these other recipes do you out those ingredients on at the same time as the cure so it sits there for 7 days as well?
I do it for the 7 days with the cure. Rinse off, re-season and smoke.
beb06
AG
Anyone using a wet cure instead of dry cure?
HTownAg98
Dry cure is much easier to do. I just vacuum pack them and flip the bag everyday. It more or less makes a brine and takes much much less space in the fridge.
schmellba99
AG
I've got 10 more lbs curing in the fridge. Ran out of vacuum seal bags though, luckily Amazon is coming through on delivery today. Need to pick up some extra stuff to add to the cure this evening.
beb06
AG
Are you using vacuum seal bags for the curing process, or are you talking about for the finished product?

Just picked up a 10.5 lb pork belly at Costco earlier today, so hoping to get the cure going on it tomorrow. This will be my first go at this.
beb06
AG
Are all you guys doing a hot smoke?

When reading online, most of the people on the various smoking forums seem to be cold smoking their bacon, claiming that it gives a better flavor profile and better texture when later fried since it won't have been cooked twice.

Does hot smoking give a chewy type of texture when you fry it that's different from raw bacon?
HTownAg98
Both.
HTownAg98
I've always hot smoked bacon. If you cold smoke, you won't "set" the cure. Plus, hot smoking starts breaking down the collagen in the meat. Chewy bacon is either because it has been cut too thick or sliced the wrong direction.
JJWAGGIE
AG
Hot smoke and the bacon has been awesome. The only problem I have is everyone continuing to try and take home packs from my stockpile.
beb06
AG
I assume you should slice against the grain?

What IT? 140? 150?

I might try half mine hot smoked and half cold smoked just to compare.
HTownAg98
Across the grain, and I go to 150-160.
AggieGunslinger
AG
So, I pulled my two bellys today after 7 days of being vacuum sealed and in the fridge, flipping every day. I used AAC's cure recipe. They look the exact same as when they went in. Is that to be expected? I guess I was expecting more of a change in appearence or texture. They have been reseasoned and are going to be smoked tomorrow.

HTownAg98
They're fine.
AggieGunslinger
AG
Good to know.
JJWAGGIE
AG
You'll note my post earlier essentially asking the same question... I was also nervous about it. No problem. When it sliced up and ready to eat, don't let anyone know... not family and not friends. They will take it all!
schmellba99
AG
Both
AgsMnn
AG
Can this process be used for Canadian bacon?
AggieGunslinger
AG
Probably the maple syrup version.

Btw, mine turned out fantastic. Thanks for all those who posted help. I had some bourbon smoked brown sugar that I used.
aggiebq03+
Thanks to all the info and inspiration in this thread. Been wanting to try broadening my smoking repertoire.

Brown Sugar:

Black Pepper:
gwellis
AG
Here are pictures of my first foray into Home Cured Bacon:

Agave Black Pepper

Bourbon Brown Sugar

Regular Bacon

Overall a success! Will be hard to purchase store bought bacon in the future. Have had three friends make their own because of my success and I did it because of this thread!
Gil '91
beb06
AG
I know everyone on here is hot smoking, but I did a ton of reading at smokingmeatforums and decided I wanted to go with cold smoked instead. I've got a 10lb belly smoking currently on my Rec Tec using an a-maze-n tube for the smoke generation. Doing 10 hours at around 70 degrees in my smoker, then will rest in fridge overnight and do 10 more hours tomorrow.

I also smoked some cheese a few days ago that I have in the fridge to be tried in a couple of weeks, and I smoked a stick of butter today as well as I saw several recommendations for it. My wife thinks I'm crazy, but it's kind of addicting.

The a-maze-n tube is awesome by the way. I have the 18" one and it puts out tons of smoke for 6 hours. I'm probably going to use it in future cooks just for providing supplemental smoke for my rec tec, especially when doing hotter cooks where it doesn't do as well creating smoke at hotter temps.
AgsMnn
AG
Got pictures of this?
beb06
AG
So, the first smoking turned out not so good.

The bacon when I cooked it had a really bitter creosote type flavor. Like I was eating a campfire.

So I posted some questions on the smoking forums and got a lot of great advice. Turns out those tube smokers produce way too much smoke to be used in my RecTec when it's not running (because there is no air flow unless it's actually powered on and the fans are in use pulling in air). So I had bad air flow which meant bad combustion, so I overpowered with bad smoke and probably also had a condensation issue.

I just finished my 2nd attempt yesterday, and it turned out awesome.

I only filled the tube smoker up halfway and then evened it out into a half-moon cyldiner of pellets, to more closely resemble the tray/snake smokers that don't put off as much smoke. I also cracked open the lid of the RecTec about 1/2 inch and set up a Lasko tower fan blowing directly at that opening to encourage better air flow.

This time it worked great and I didn't get any of the bad smoke flavor.

Forgot to take photos along the way, but here is the cold-smoked pepperd bacon sliced and a couple bacon sandwiches from it. I also did a maple brown suger rubbed one that turned out great also.

country
AG
What's a general price for pork belly? Going to try some bacon after reading this thread.
aggiebq03+
I've usually seen $2.50-3.00/lb at Costco since I started looking a few months back (after first seeing this thread). They come around 10lb +/- a few lbs. so usually around $30.
Hugo Stiglitzz
I'll wait for your write-up on Makin' Turkey Bacon for us with high cholesterol.

AgsMnn
AG
Got 3 bellies from work.
AustinAgChef
Not a chance.
BQ78
AG
Austin Ag Chef:

I haven't been out to see you yet but I've been enjoying your product at home, especially the sausage and chicken (and I'm not a big poultry eater) and the scrumtious sides. Sooner or later I will get out to Hippoland to see you. Good luck to you and your dad.
AustinAgChef
Glad to hear you're enjoying it and you definitely need to get out and see me! Thanks for the support y'all have shown me so far!
AgsMnn
AG
Ok. Sliced it tonight and the flavor was good, but it was to salty.

What did I mess up on?
87IE
AG
Did you rinse all of the cure off?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.