Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Homemade Ice Cream

9,842 Views | 62 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by JYDog90
Average Joe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We got an ice cream maker attachment for our stand mixer as a wedding gift last year and haven't used it yet. Anyone have any recipes they like? I've searched for some and have found about 30 different recipes for every type of ice cream possible and they all seem to have completely different ingredients.
schmendeler
AG
I really like Alton's vanilla ice cream recipe.
Max06
AG
There are 2 types: custard style & true ice cream. I prefer custard, but that's my opinion.

Custard style uses a ton of egg yolks that you mix with cream & cook over a double boiler. I love cinnamon ice cream, fwiw.
jaseev
try the berry of your choice (strawberry,black or blueberries) a little extra vanilla and son very fine chopped jalapenoes w/ no seeds . you will love it
el aggie
AG
Just made this for the weekend, it was a pretty big hit. A lot of work if you slice your own peaches, but worth it.

http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/peach-gelato
SpicewoodAg
AG
Whatever recipe you use, don't make the mistake some do of thinking you can eat it right away. One of the reasons I disliked homemade ice cream at first was that people making it at a party served it right out of the mixing container. I was always too soupy.

Make your ice cream several hours or half a day before you want to eat it so it has time to harden in the freezer.

Avoid any recipe with reduced fat milk of any kind. They freeze icy and taste like crap. Instead make great fattening ice cream and just eat less.

A super simple vanilla recipe - so-called "Philadelphia style:"

http://www.browneyedbaker.com/2009/02/03/classic-vanilla-ice-cream/

[This message has been edited by SpicewoodAg (edited 7/6/2014 2:19p).]
Zemira
AG
As l luck would have it we made ice cream yesterday using the same recipe my family has used since at least 1986.

3 egg yolks (freshest possible, no cracks)
1 can sweetened condensed milk (Eagle Brand)
2 tablespoons water
4 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup crushed oreos (approx 1/3 package)
2 cups heavy whipping cream
Whole milk (as necessary)

In a large bowl beat egg yolks, stir in sweetened milk, water and vanilla. Fold in whipped cream. We usually add 1/4 to 1/2 cup of milk as well so it isn't as rich. Pour mixture into ice cream mixer and follow directions. We usually wait till about halfway through the freezing process to add the cookies, but you can add them at the beginning. Or you can add the cookies in and pour the mixtire into a large loaf pan and freeze the ice cream.

Basically you can trade out the extract & cookies for any flavors you like. Sometimes we switch cookies for chocolate chips, peaches, strawberries. You can also do vanilla and almond extract or vanilla and peppermint extract. You could put in various liqours or flavorings, but usually cookies and cream is our go to.

Notes: This recipe is for a 2 qt maker (makes approx 1.5 quarts that expands). We regularly double or triple the recipe for larger batches. Also use the freshest eggs possible and you will be fine without cooking the eggs. If you are super worried heat the egg mixture before you add the cream.

[This message has been edited by zemira (edited 7/6/2014 11:03p).]
txaggie02
AG
Made some cookies and cream ice cream last night and it turned out awesome. Used a vanilla ice cream recipe that has been in the family for years. Similar as the above, but exchanged the whipping cream for 1 1/2 cups of sugar (don't like our ice cream really creamy).

Started the ice cream without the cookies.

Crushed the Oreos in a bowl.

Then added them it when the ice cream was about 75% done. Figured if I did it this way, the cookies wouldn't all sink to the bottom.

Final product.

[This message has been edited by txaggie02 (edited 7/10/2014 2:38p).]
schmendeler
AG
it looks kind of... icy.
HTownAg98
I use Alton's 9-8-3-2-1 ice cream base. Some things I've found that are important for that recipe:
1) Beat the egg yolks and sugar until they form a thick ribbon.
2) Cook it to the proper temperature.
3) Strain it through a fine mesh strainer.
4) Refrigerate it overnight.
txaggie02
AG
quote:
it looks kind of... icy.

In terms of texture, it was like cold mashed potatoes.

[This message has been edited by txaggie02 (edited 7/10/2014 4:07p).]
HTownAg98
That means it needs more fat.
txaggie02
AG
Meh. Not trying to make ice cream with the thickness of half dried Elmer's glue.

[This message has been edited by txaggie02 (edited 7/10/2014 9:27p).]
schmendeler
AG
yeah, while i'm sure you like it, it doesn't sound very good to me.
FDT 1999
AG
quote:
I use Alton's 9-8-3-2-1 ice cream base. Some things I've found that are important for that recipe:
1) Beat the egg yolks and sugar until they form a thick ribbon.
2) Cook it to the proper temperature.
3) Strain it through a fine mesh strainer.
4) Refrigerate it overnight.

The Alton Brown recipe is the one we use as well. By far the best homemade ice cream I've ever had.
SpicewoodAg
AG
quote:
(don't like our ice cream really creamy).

Then you are making ice milk or something watery like that.

quote:
exchanged the whipping cream for 1 1/2 cups of sugar

What?!?! If you like less creamy ice cream you subsitute half and half for cream, or milk. But substituting sugar for cream makes no sense at all.

[This message has been edited by SpicewoodAg (edited 7/15/2014 12:35p).]
HTownAg98
I would say it's more like a sorbet. If it rocks your socks, by all means, make it that way.
thaed137
AG
Any ice cream makers you guys recommend?
chipotle
I have the Cuisinart one. Not much to say really...it's an ice cream maker.
schmendeler
AG
i like the one i have. it has a core that you freeze. so no dealing with ice or salt.
SpicewoodAg
AG
I have this one. I have an extra sleeve so I can make two batches in a row if necessary. It works well to make 1 qt.
HTownAg98
The frozen canister kind are the way to go.
Jack Klompus
AG
We have the ice cream maker attachment for our KitchenAid mixer. You really have to prepare if you're going to be making ice cream since you have to freeze the bowl for 15 hours prior, make your ice cream mixture, then chill it for 4 hours (or overnight), then churn it, and then freeze the ice cream in the freezer until hardened. We've made chocolate with macadamian nuts, cinnamon (pioneer woman) for Thanksgiving, banana (turned out icy), vanilla, and vanilla with Reese's cups.
HTownAg98
Can you keep the canister in your freezer? I do this, and if I'm in somewhat of a hurry, I just chill the base in an ice bath and pour it into the churn.
chipotle
quote:
We have the ice cream maker attachment for our KitchenAid mixer. You really have to prepare if you're going to be making ice cream since you have to freeze the bowl for 15 hours prior, make your ice cream mixture, then chill it for 4 hours (or overnight), then churn it, and then freeze the ice cream in the freezer until hardened. We've made chocolate with macadamian nuts, cinnamon (pioneer woman) for Thanksgiving, banana (turned out icy), vanilla, and vanilla with Reese's cups.

After making ice cream I'm always reminded that it really isn't worth going through all this when I can just buy a gallon at the store for less cost and effort. But hey, it's a hobby.
The Milkmaid
AG
I am helping out at a local kitchen supplies store with their cooking classes. We use a Breville ice cream maker in classes. It has a pre-cool setting that you can use while you prepare your base. We also pour the base into a metal bowl and place the metal bowl over an ice bath to speed up the chilling mode (2 hour classes).
SpicewoodAg
AG
Chipotle - almost no store bought ice cream sold in half gallons is any good. Blue Bell is disgusting. HEB Creamy Creations is not bad.

A quart of rich, natural, homemade is a treat. With a simple machine like my Krups it is hardly much trouble.
schmendeler
AG
i wouldn't go so far as to call blue bell disgusting, it's definitely lower quality. their ice cream has too much overrun in it; it's like eating the ice cream equivalent of cotton candy. but for nostalgia purposes, their homemade vanilla is still a personal favorite.
SpicewoodAg
AG
quote:
but for nostalgia purposes, their homemade vanilla is still a personal favorite.

No comprende....what is nostalgic about the ingredients below:

Milk, cream, sugar, skim milk, high fructose corn syrup, corn syrup, natural and artificial vanilla flavor, cellulose gum, vegetable gums, salt, annatto color
schmendeler
AG
it tastes like what i grew up eating with hershey's syrup every night as a kid. from an objective perspective i realize that it's not premium ice cream. but you have to acknowledge there is a mental and emotional component to the enjoyment of foods. velveeta is pretty crappy if you look at the ingredient list, but it still tastes good with some rotel.
Jack Klompus
AG
quote:
Can you keep the canister in your freezer?
We do now that we have an extra refrigerator. Previously we didn't have the freezer space.
chipotle
quote:
HEB Creamy Creations is not bad.

That's all we get. That and dreyers rocky road. Blue Bell is meh at best.
SpicewoodAg
AG
schmendeler - you're right about memories having a role in favorite foods.

I just can't get past the excessive sweetness of BB Homemade and that yellow color.

I have memories of my mother making me eat liver too. I hope to die before I eat that again.
AgHunter02
Spice, you sound like a tool bag with your replies. Do you own a restaurant? If not, shut your criticisms down. If so, I'd love to test out your establishment. Let us all know what you own. There are plenty of ways to cook different food items. Let's face the fact...your way may not always the best.

[This message has been edited by Aghunter02 (edited 7/19/2014 4:10a).]
SpicewoodAg
AG
Not sure what you are so upset about. Is it because I think Blue Bell is crap or because I said you don't substitute sugar for cream? I agree there are lots of ways to prepare a particular food item.

I don't own a restaurant and make no special claims to my skills with food. I notice you haven't contributed to this thread until now. What's your thought on homemade ice cream?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.