Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Homemade Ice Cream

9,823 Views | 62 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by JYDog90
AgHunter02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
quote:
Not sure what you are so upset about.

Upset? I couldn't care less. I don't have a dog in this fight. I'm just telling you that you look like a know-it-all tool bag from reading your comments.
quote:
I agree there are lots of ways to prepare a particular food item.

Oh you do? But yet you are telling the guy how to make his food. Talk about being an enormous hypocrite. Give it a rest Martha.

[This message has been edited by Aghunter02 (edited 7/19/2014 1:58p).]
Hudson2508
AG
Man I love food board slapfests.

I typically stick to Thomas Keller's ice cream base but I'll give Alton's a try for my next batch of homemade ice cream sandwiches.
SpicewoodAg
AG
I can't help you Agunter02. This is food. This is a place where people will argue about oak vs. mesquite vs. pecan. At least those are all wood.

Sugar and cream aren't even the same food group.

I won't try to tell you anything about hunting. I assume that is your thing. I have nothing to offer nor would I be dumb enough to try. But you have nothing to offer here do you?

[This message has been edited by SpicewoodAg (edited 7/19/2014 9:48p).]
AgHunter02
quote:
nor would I be dumb enough

Haha. Hahahahaha. Don't sell yourself short.

[This message has been edited by Aghunter02 (edited 7/20/2014 12:19p).]
rwtxag83
AG
Jack Klompus is right. mix your ingredients the day before and get them super cold in the fridge before you start the freezing. I run mine thru the blender one last time before I freeze it too, just to get things more homogeneous and I've noticed they turn out less icy.

We like ours, but haven't used it in a while. Important to get that freeze base very hard frozen. I like to keep it in the freezer for at least 48 hrs before we use it.
gigem70
AG
I like Blue Bell.
FIDO*98*
AG
Spicewood is right. Substituting sugar for heavy cream is one of the dumbest recipe suggestions I've ever read online.
rwtxag83
AG
Same here gigem70
Big Cigar Ag
Agree with dba fido. Subbing sugar for cream doesn't even make sense.
Average Joe
AG
I finally got around to making my first batch. I made the 98321 recipe, cooled it, and was about to put it in the stand mixer when I couldn't find the mixer the bowl comes with. I am pretty sure it was still in the box when it got thrown away by accident. I ordered replacements but I don't think my mixture will be good when it comes in.
dubi
AG
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/vanilla-ice-cream-recipe.html

What is vanilla sugar?
BlueMiles
AG
Basically sugar in which a vanilla bean(s) has rested to convey the flavor. Take a jar of sugar, add a bean, use sugar and replace sugar and bean as you go.

Edit to add: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/vanilla-sugar-recipe.html

[This message has been edited by Bluemiles (edited 8/4/2014 10:12p).]
JYDog90
AG
Bump.

I have been on a quest to find an electric ice cream maker and finally found one yesterday. About to make the traditional vanilla ice cream from my childhood for my kids for the very first time.

Hope it's not a let down.
Formerly Willy Wonka
Rocky Top Aggie
AG
We have a White Mountain hand-crank ice cream freezer. One of these days we might get an electric one but the hand-crank isn't a big deal. It only takes 20-25 minutes and that's good sit-on-the-porch-and-talk time.

Here's my favorite recipe (actually my mother-in-law's recipe) for Milky Way ice cream.

6 full size Milky Way candy bars, chopped to any size
1 can sweetened condensed milk
Small can of Hershey's chocolate syrup
Half gallon heavy cream
Whole milk (half gallon or so), enough to fill the rest of your container after adding everything else.

Optional: melt half of the chopped candy bars before you add to the mix. I skip this step now and just add chopped candy bar (chopped to varying sizes).

Prechilling everything helps, as does letting it set for a while surrounded by the brine salt water after mixing is done. This helps it harden. It is even better the next day.

Enjoy!
Goodest Poster
AG
Willy Wonka said:

Bump.

I have been on a quest to find an electric ice cream maker and finally found one yesterday. About to make the traditional vanilla ice cream from my childhood for my kids for the very first time.

With a name like yours...i like your chances.
JYDog90
AG
jftx04 said:

Willy Wonka said:

Bump.

With a name like yours...i like your chances.

Tasted like 1975 on the front porch all over again.
BlueMiles
AG
Rocky Top Aggie said:

We have a White Mountain hand-crank ice cream freezer. One of these days we might get an electric one but the hand-crank isn't a big deal. It only takes 20-25 minutes and that's good sit-on-the-porch-and-talk time.

Only 20-25 minutes?? It seemed like three hours when I was the kid cranking it.

The recipe looks good. Thanks for sharing it.
JYDog90
AG
BlueMiles said:

Rocky Top Aggie said:

This! I thought it was a violation of child labor laws! I could've sworn I spent all day turning that crank.
HTownAg98
Willy Wonka said:

BlueMiles said:

Rocky Top Aggie said:

This! I thought it was a violation of child labor laws! I could've sworn I spent all day turning that crank.

It's because you'd crank for five minutes, complain
for two minutes, crank another three, complain for two...
htxag09
AG
The bumping of this thread is going to be the death of me. Had an ice cream machine sitting in our garage for 6+ years so busted it out.

Made Alton browns posted vanilla ice cream, his chocolate ice cream (added almonds), and a sous vide vanilla ice cream all in the last two weeks. Once I made that first batch it was game over, so much better.

I will say the worst part is definitely dealing with the ice and salt. So we've been debating the kitchen aid ice cream bowl. Anyone have it and have any insight?
aggiespartan
AG
I know a few people with the kitchenaid attachment that like it. I'm holding out for a breville smart scoop.
Max Power
AG
I have it, and it works fine. I keep it in my deep freeze and bust it out when the mood strikes. Definitely want to put the base in the fridge overnight to get it cold before churning. I'd love a stand alone but can't really justify the expense or the storage space needed for one. If you already have the mixer it's not a bad investment.
Turf96
Rocky Top Aggie said:

We have a White Mountain hand-crank ice cream freezer. One of these days we might get an electric one but the hand-crank isn't a big deal. It only takes 20-25 minutes and that's good sit-on-the-porch-and-talk time

Enjoy!

By golly somebody actually gets it. Home made ice cream is no better than blue bell without the effort. I've cream tastes so much better when you work up the anticipation. Nothing like a little elbow grease to work up anticipation.

Like many foods they are so much better when the mood is right. Family visits are a thing fast going away and anyway to get them back is good in my book.

I can still see me and my cousin setting on our grandparents porch under the old pecan tree trading cranks. If we did a good job and no fuss we got more than grandpa when granny dished it out. She would say if you wanted more than the boys you should have lent a hand. Making ice cream at dark and eating until you hurt just in time to grab a big mason jar and catch as many lightening bugs as we could so we could light up our tent at night. Makes me happy and sad at the same time. I can literally hear and feel them around me and they are both gone. That part makes me happy. The sad part is do we ever slow down enough to just be a simple family anymore?

By the way if you were good boys and took care of cleaning Salt out and drying the freezer there would be another magic bowl appear in the freezer after we returned from bug catching. Man those were the days. Next morning turn lightening lose and maybe even catch the same bugs that night. Man I miss those old summer nights. No ac just houses set up in right locations along creeks to get a cool breeze. That was clean living. I miss homemade ice cream and summers like that. Miss the family not here even more.
htxag09
AG
Quote:

Home made ice cream is no better than blue bell

False
JYDog90
AG
I will say one thing about my experience with homemade vanilla ice cream. It tore my insides UP! My esophagus burned for a few days and had other digestive problems for a couple of days after consuming it. I can't figure out what the problem was, it's only half and half, whipping cream, sugar and vanilla.
Formerly Willy Wonka
aggiespartan
AG
Willy Wonka said:

I will say one thing about my experience with homemade vanilla ice cream. It tore my insides UP! My esophagus burned for a few days and had other digestive problems for a couple of days after consuming it. I can't figure out what the problem was, it's only half and half, whipping cream, sugar and vanilla.
Your esophagus burned? Nothing I can think of would do this unless there was something in the ice cream maker before you started it.
JYDog90
AG
Really bad indigestion.
Formerly Willy Wonka
aggiespartan
AG
If it's that bad, you might want to see a doctor.
JYDog90
AG
I did. They told me to stop eating homemade ice cream. I also cut out dairy and haven't had any issues.
Formerly Willy Wonka
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.