Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Whats in your wine cellar?

1,398,475 Views | 11028 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by EclipseAg
Chipotlemonger
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Awesome. I love the JJ Prum I've had.

Good discussion this page.
Objective Aggie
AG
2014 Petroni sangiovesse. LastBottle.
BigAg95
AG
Objective Aggie said:

Nice shot! I'm looking forward to getting my marathon shipment to find out what I bought. I have no idea.
Objective Aggie
AG
BigAg95 said:

Objective Aggie said:

Nice shot! I'm looking forward to getting my marathon shipment to find out what I bought. I have no idea.

lol. Between the buying euphoria of a flash sale and LastBottle delayed shipping process you open each box with surprise.
BSD
AG
One of my buddies came over tonight to a bbq we were hosting and it happened to be his birthday. Knowing that he liked Schrader from a bottle we shared with him in Bonaire last summer, I opened this one. He was very pleased.

QBCade
AG
BSD said:

One of my buddies came over tonight to a bbq we were hosting and it happened to be his birthday. Knowing that he liked Schrader from a bottle we shared with him in Bonaire last summer, I opened this one. He was very pleased.

Very nice!
BSD
AG
Maybach release is today. The Materium Cabernet is consistently my favorite Napa cab (up there with Scarecrow but gets the nod at half the price).
QBCade
AG
BSD said:

Maybach release is today. The Materium Cabernet is consistently my favorite Napa cab (up there with Scarecrow but gets the nod at half the price).

19, 20, or 21?
aggiejumper
AG
21 release is today
BSD
AG
He is also releasing half bottles of Vocabulum, a thorevilos vineyard cab (Abreu). It's hard fruit to get ahold of, so I'm told. I got two and wishlisted another.
Orozco05
Enjoying some bubbles tonight while starting the new true detective season. First time trying this family's champagne. Champagne Geoffroy Brut NV. It's incredibly tart with green apple, lemon, and grassy notes. Not getting too many bread or yeasty aromatics.

My wife and I had the Mousse Fils L'or Eugene Brut Rose at Rosie Cannonball on Friday night. First time trying their brut rose and dang, it was solid. No pic for that bottle though.

QBCade
AG
Happy Monday yall.

aggiejumper
AG
Mousse Fils Is a great grower and you can find a few of their wines in TX. They have gone up in price the last few years due to their popularity but who hasn't.

The base Mousse Fils L'Or d'Eugne is pretty darn good and if you can get the extra brut it is even better in my opinion. Great entry to Meunier based bubbles.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Had this a couple of weeks back on NYE and meant to post it. Great Syrah from our recent trip to Santa Barbara.

Objective Aggie
AG
What's the best way to remove sediment?
QBCade
AG
I use a funnel & strainer when decanting. You could do this for pouring into glasses too.

cecil77
AG
Objective Aggie said:

I prefer the traditional way, but use a screen when in a hurry.

Stand the bottle for several hours.

Pour very slowly while looking through the bottom of the neck. Traditionally holding a candle behind it, but if the room's well lit it's not necessary. The sediment will be caught in the curve of the bottle just below the neck (assuming BDX style bottle). Stop pouring before the sediment slides into the neck.

Or, forget to do anything and when your wife wants the last bit of wine you forget and dump it all into her glass. (Pro move - not recommended)
BigAg95
AG
I know some of you are Rivers-Marie buyers. Has anyone tried the 2022 pinots? I got their email offering today and their write-ups make it sound like it is a bad vintage. I'll probably buy my usual 6 pack regardless, but I am curious to hear your thoughts.
BSD
AG
I usually just slow pour into a decanter after standing the bottle up for a while. Then pour slow out of the decanter. I have strained with what Cade showed, too. And a few times I used a coffee filter on some really old stuff.
BSD
AG
Haven't tried them but they are typically well made wines. I bought the Old Vines, Theriot, and Platt based on a recommendation. And the Sonoma Coast as well.
BSD
AG
752bro4 said:

This and a bottle of Veuve tonight

I was just gifted a bottle of the 2018 this past weekend. Being from Howell Mountain, my thought is to cellar it for a long while.
WestUAg
AG
Dancing bear one of most underrated bottlings out there. I have a lot of that in my cellar and it's delicious juice.
cecil77
AG
Sampled a 2018 Dunn recently. Surprisingly good to go, esp for a Dunn.

Likely optical sorting (and perhaps MOX) is allowing for these wines to be ready much earlier.
bularry
Quote:

Mousse Fils L'or Eugene Brut Rose
This and the regular L'or Eugene are two of the best QPR's in champagne, IMO.
bularry
Storm is good people, enjoyed chatting with them before. Pretty cool they are selling older vintages!
QBCade
AG
cecil77 said:

Objective Aggie said:

I prefer the traditional way, but use a screen when in a hurry.

Stand the bottle for several hours.

Pour very slowly while looking through the bottom of the neck. Traditionally holding a candle behind it, but if the room's well lit it's not necessary. The sediment will be caught in the curve of the bottle just below the neck (assuming BDX style bottle). Stop pouring before the sediment slides into the neck.

Or, forget to do anything and when your wife wants the last bit of wine you forget and dump it all into her glass. (Pro move - not recommended)

Do you open all your bottles with a feather and tongs too? Sheesh…
BigAg95
AG
I finally got added to the allocation list for Saxum, after 7 years. It seems like a lot of new folks made the list this year, I suspect they've had a big jump in production volume or something.
cecil77
AG
Quote:

Do you open all your bottles with a feather and tongs too? Sheesh…

No, no....

Those are reserved for even more pleasant pursuits...
WestUAg
AG
I think the price increases, thinned out some of their longtime buyers which allowed waitlist guys to get on .
BigAg95
AG
Makes sense, the prices are definitely higher than I remember seeing in the past.
Chipotlemonger
AG
The premiumization is steering more towards popularization in terms of what people are spending on for drinks. Saw that trend and term coined just this week in reference to the state of the wine industry after 2023. I think there are a lot of reasons for this, and economic factors certainly play a part.

On the DTC side: I imagine for some people that have acquired a bunch of wines over the years, they've scaled back drinking the past couple of years on consumption rate and realize that they no longer need to bolster their cellar as much. Tighter market, inflation certainly doesn't help. Why build up my 200 bottle cellar to 300 bottles when my grocery bill is $30% higher than it was just a couple of years ago?

Or in the case of Napa, why spend more to keep building my cellar when I can go somewhere else wine-selection wise for less $?

There are a multitude of reasons, but it's safe to say overall demand is down a bit and things are tightening up for the industry right now. 2023 was not a strong wine year.
cecil77
AG
It's a complex issue. The foot traffic on 290 is drastically reduced of the past years.

I think that "inventory draw down" both in distribution and has you said, personally is certainly a factor, but not the only one. The industry is abuzz about all of it...

No1 one issue why consumers are buying less wine

US alcohol indutry's worst year since 1991
Chipotlemonger
AG
Yea, I forgot to add the part too about Chateau St Michelle and it's terrible news guidance last year to grape suppliers in WA. That state (and the whole industry really, not just US), is overplanted for the global demand levels. More details From Vinepair in talking about the most recent SVB state of the industry report:

Quote:

One of the report's key takeaways is that consumer demand for wine continues to dwindle in favor of alternatives like RTDs, spirits, and cannabis. Further, more people are choosing not to drink altogether. In line with this, 2023 will mark the first time in 45 years that the volume of spirits sold will surpass the volume of wine sold. The report goes on to share that the U.S. is not alone in this shift, with other traditional wine-drinking countries including Germany, France, and Italy also seeing a decrease in consumption.

Another major point: there is currently an oversupply of planted vineyards in the U.S. compared to the present sales volumes. This could create conditions for overproduction, leading to inventory excess, discounting, and price reductions. This, too, is also a global trend, with France notably spending 200 million euros in 2023 to fund the destruction of the nation's surplus wine production. With a decrease in bulk wine consumption, the industry will need to correct itself to avoid the issues of oversupply.
BigAg95
AG
When joining clubs and building up my cellar,I bought mostly wines I consider high QPR, almost all in the $40-100 range. Over the past 2-3 years, I think almost all of those have crept near or over the $100 point, and I've stopped buying most of them. I've dropped Sanguis, Realm, and Myriad, and have not really replaced them with anything. The only allocations I still buy every year are Justin, Ultramarine, Rivers Marie, William & Mary, Turley, and Pott's Napa cab.
cecil77
AG
Piper and MacDonald for me. And not surprisingly both are more traditional cabernets and both have held their line on price.
First Page Last Page
Page 286 of 316

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.