Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Whats in your wine cellar?

1,284,343 Views | 10513 Replies | Last: 4 days ago by bularry
Chipotlemonger
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Some legislative news for Texas:

Third Time's the Charm: Texas Legislature Passes New Wine Labeling Law

Quote:

Key Points of the New Law:

Labels listing a county designation must include 75% grapes from within the stated county, with the remaining 25% from within Texas.

Labels listing an American Viticultural Area (AVA) must include 85% grapes from within the stated AVA, with the remaining 15% from within Texas.

Labels listing a vineyard designation must contain 95% grapes from within the stated vineyard, with the remaining 5% from within Texas.

Labels stating only Texas may include up to 25% grapes from outside of the state.
cecil77
AG
It's a start, but really doesn't address the fundamental problem. Too many of the "big boys" think they have to produce $15 grocery store wine, and they want "Texas" on the label.

https://www.winebusiness.com/news/?go=getArticle&dataId=245882

Quote:

TWGGA's position was three-fold. First, there aren't enough grapes in the state to meet all winemaking demands. Second, they favor an option to include up to 25 percent of outside fruit to allow for more competitive pricing with other regions. Finally, the group advocated for flexibility to source outside fruit in challenging vintage years, and to insulate it from issues that plague Texas grape growers, such as Pierce's Disease, hail and frost, and off-target herbicide volatilization drift.
That's just specious. Those $15 wines could be labeled "American" and sell for the same price. These producers admit they want "Texas" on the label because they perceive it's value, but are unwilling to make it pure, as do CA/OR/WA.

The new law changes little, as it is the cheap wines that use the cheap California grapes. The higher priced, higher quality wines already are mostly 100% Texas fruit.

Part of the problem it TTB rules which don't allow listing non-adjacent appellations, so a wine can't be labeled "75% Texas grapes and 25% California grapes".

Chipotlemonger
AG
Agreed, it doesn't do much.

I find TWGGA's first reasonings to be a little hollow.

• If there aren't enough Texas grapes, then there is nothing illegal about sourcing from elsewhere and making a wine. They just still want to be able to slap 'Texas' all over it. Maybe take it as a signal to purchase more land yourself for grape growing.
  • Supplemental grapes for poor vintages - this is just part of wine growing and making, and wineries and regions all over the world deal with it

I think TWGGA, as you pointed out cecil, is more concerned about bringing wine to market at a competitive price than anything else.

Interested to hear others' thoughts!
HTownAg98
I think part of the problem is the vast majority of their membership is more about making wine than making Texas wine. And it screws the people that want to make really good wine. Hopefully some wineries will be able to vertically integrate and make their wines from their own vineyards and not have to deal with competition from people throwing stupid money at grapes. (I think this is partly why William Chris purchased Lost Draw.)
MooreTrucker
AG
Grape Creek now has two separate wine clubs, one for their Texas "Grape Creek" wines and one for their "Heath Estates" wines from Paso (I think). My latest shipment was all Heath, and I contacted them immediately and told them I only wanted Texas wines and to switch my membership.

The main reason I have it in the first place is their restaurant is now members only.
BSD
AG
Birthday dinner wines last night:

2017 Pott Viognier
2013 Realm Falstaff (mostly cab franc and merlot)
2014 William & Mary cab sauv
bularry
HTownAg98 said:

I think part of the problem is the vast majority of their membership is more about making wine than making Texas wine. And it screws the people that want to make really good wine. Hopefully some wineries will be able to vertically integrate and make their wines from their own vineyards and not have to deal with competition from people throwing stupid money at grapes. (I think this is partly why William Chris purchased Lost Draw.)
all of the problem is they want to "sell" wine... making it is just the hassle before they can cha-ching the 290 corridor tourists...

there seems to be no real interest in furthering Texas viticulture.
HTownAg98
There's interest, but unless you own everything from the dirt to the bottle, it doesn't make economic sense to do it. Why would you grow the grapes to 3 tons to the acre, when you can grow it to 8 tons to the acre and can get the same price per ton? The way around this is to pay a per acre price, and have it grown to your specs (with the obvious price hike that you'll have to pay for all this).

There are thousands of acres in the High Plains AVA that could be moved to grape production. The issues are it's a minimum three years before you can get paid for a crop, there's a bunch of upfront expenses, you have to pray that someone spraying cotton doesn't drift into your field and wipeout your vineyard, and a whole host of other issues.
bularry
if you are buying grapes, then you should care about the quality even if you don't own the vineyard, because despite all the acid adding and grape concentrate, ultimately the quality of your wine is based on the farming of the crop. winemakers here need to be more involved with the vineyards on yields and picks.

IMO, most Texas wine is just about like going to Buc-Cee's. Fun, but a touristy gimmick. Even good producers seem to be moving this way (William Chris with their rapid volume expansion, for example)

When I was in Cali last week I drank $35-40 wines that were of a quality most producers in texas dream about. Why pay $80 for lesser product? I'm just not going to do it.
MooreTrucker
AG
I don't know about other places, but English Newsom Cellars here in Lubbock takes pride in being all about ground-to-glass and 100% Texas wines and all that. Steve grows all of his own grapes and produces his own wine, and that of some others as well. He also supplies a lot of grapes/juice to some of the Fredericksburg folks as well.

IMO, they are good quality wines (some of our faves but I'm not the connoisseur level of some of y'all) but it's an operation that doesn't go much outside this area yet. I think they're hooking up with a distributor that will help but I'm not sure where in the process that is.
cecil77
AG
Quote:

IMO, most Texas wine is just about like going to Buc-Cee's. Fun, but a touristy gimmick.
Sadly, there's some truth to that. Even moreso for wine "tourists". Even "real wine people" (y'all know what I mean...) that visit 290 seem to have a little bit of a "what a fun goof..." attitude. We've had several groups last month that had canceled Napa trips and came to 290 with little expectation of great wine. And yes, Inwood/Chateau Marie LaRose/Oentrepid tending to surprise.

I disagree with the notion of Texas $80 bottles being Napa $40 bottles. For one, there's just not that much $80 Texas wine and what there is (that I've experienced) is price on par with similar quality from Napa. Admittedly those bottles are limited to ours and Ben's. I think the problem is that many $35 Texas bottles would be $20 grocery store bottles in California. Honestly, IMO I'd love to see a dozen wineries on 290 selling wines of the same quality as Inwood and Calais, and at the same prices.

But, as has been mentioned (even in the article about the new law) there's too much focus on the cheap end, but it's the high end wines that define a region.
bularry
I was in CA, but not Napa. Agree, a Napa $40 cab is unlikely to be very appealing to me.

but a Sta Rita Hills chardonnay for $40? oh yeah...
Squirrel Master
AG
Way back on p228 of this thread in February, I asked for recommendations and advice for our first Fredericksburg trip, and yall did not disappoint. We finally made that trip a couple of weeks ago and I'm just remembering to come back and post the recap. We visited 5 wineries over 3 days.

The three that were definitely the stars of the trip, in no particular order:
- Calais: Really, really enjoyed their wine. Our tasting was done by the owner who's name I'm forgetting now, but it was a nice visit in their very unassuming little wine cave. We drove past the place on 290 at first because it just looks like a vacant lot from the road.

- Inwood Cellars: Got to do a tasting with Cecil. Last tasting of the day on Saturday and there was a group of 10 ppl total there including us 2, but it was a fun group. The 70-something year old lady next to us had clearly had more wine that day than she was used to and kept trying to make my wife and I become friends with her daughters. Cecil's talk was very educational and I definitely learned more there than any other stop. The wine was fantastic and at the end there were some pours of a few other wines that were all really nice from some of their other labels. Excited about joining their club, especially after learning they have a tasting room here in Dallas 10 mins away from us.

- Adega Vinho: Our one stop that wasn't recommended here, but from our tasting host at William Chris. We really liked this place and its wines and I'd recommend it to anyone here. Smaller operation, like Calais they don't even have a club to join.

Next on the list was William Chris. Very good wines, just a step below the three above. Beautiful property visit. I'd definitely go back there to get a glass and sit on their patio on a nice day.

Last was Grape Creek. They had a couple of nice wines that we picked up some bottles of and we certainly don't mind having a few bottles at a lower price point than the others we bought on the trip, but we could tell a quality difference here. Also, the tasting experience here was such a large scale, commercial experience here that just wasn't quite as enjoyable and relaxing. It reminded me of V.Sattui in Napa for anyone who has been there before. It's possible that we just enjoy more relaxed intimate experiences for our wine tastings.

All told, we ended up bringing home 23 bottles of wine.

Non-wine highlights of the trip:
-Enchanted Rock
-Pacific War Museum
-Altstadt Brewery
-Takeout sandwiches from Opa's Meat Market
Chipotlemonger
AG
Good recap!

The Pacific War Museum is great. I remember it being very extensive and top notch from my visit about 10 years ago.
Chipotlemonger
AG
A worrisome development for Texas wine in the high plains in recent years. A lawsuit was filed a week ago so this is getting a lot of run right now, have seen it mentioned a couple times now.

Will Chemical Damage Kill the Texas Wine Industry?

Quote:

On June 4, 2021, 57 Texas High Plains wine grape growers filed suit in Jefferson County District Court seeking hundreds of millions of dollars in damages from Bayer-Monsanto and BASF. The suit alleges that the chemical giants sold a defective genetically modified cotton seed system to Texas farmers, featuring a highly volatile weedkiller that moved miles off-target and crippled scores of vineyards across the state.
cecil77
AG
Big problem, but why not sue the people actually dispersing the weed killer? Just because the seed is resistant to the weed killer doesn't mean that the farmers can apply it willy-nilly. Maybe there's another lawsuit against the farmers, but going after the big pockets as opposed to the actual actors is a big problem in this country.

MooreTrucker
AG
cecil77 said:

Big problem, but why not sue the people actually dispersing the week killer? Just because the seed is resistant to the weed killer doesn't mean that the farmers can apply it willy-nilly. Maybe there's another lawsuit against the farmers, but going after the big pockets as opposed to the actual actors is a big problem in this country.

Yeah, I wondered about that. Hit the little guys hard enough to make them think twice about using it and THEN go after the manufacturers to quit making it.
HTownAg98
Opened a bottle of this last night. It's made by Eric Jensen of Booker and My Favorite Neighbor. At $25, it drinks better than a lot of Napa cabs 2-3x the price.
agdaddy04
AG
did they recently raise prices? I see it's $360 for a case online...
HTownAg98
It's $25 at the shop I get it from. Maybe they got a better deal?
ETA: Correction, I checked at the shop today, it's $29.99. It was around $25 after my discount.
BigAg95
AG
Constellation has been dumping all the unsold Booker wines at a discount.
BigAg95
AG
Enjoying a 2016 Sanguis Bossman tonight. Drinking very well! Loads of fruit balanced with just enough acid, smooth tannins, black pepper, and briny olive flavors. The nose is super floral and the finish is super long and peppery. For me, this is as good as wine gets!
bularry
BigAg95 said:

they clearing vintages or is Booker moving to a new distributor?
BigAg95
AG
bularry said:

BigAg95 said:

they clearing vintages or is Booker moving to a new distributor?

More the latter, but as part of the deal they lowered the price of the MFN wines. The wines already in bottle at the time of the transaction are now priced far less than they were intended to be when Eric made them, and are thus a great deal. Moving forward they'll be different wines made with different grapes, and likely won't have a great QPR.
HTownAg98
I'm guessing most people haven't had a Bordeaux style blend that is dominated by Petit Verdot. But here's one that is growing on me. I'm going to leave the other bottle for another two years and see what happens.

big-ag
AG
Her Petit Verdot Suitor is one of my faves.
cheeky
AG
752bro4 said:

Quote:

Everyone loves a quick trip to Napa, but sometimes it's just too difficult to get away. Now Seven Stones and our wonderful partners at Vine Vault are bringing Napa to you. And if that wasn't enough, we are bringing some friends along as well! Check out the locations below to see which will be closest to you and then make sure you get tickets to come taste such great wines as Diamond Mountain Winery (formerly Constant), Spottswoode, Jarvis, Lerner Project and more. And of course, Seven Stones! We will have current releases to taste and perhaps a few library wines. Click on the link below that is nearest to you and reserve your spot right away! Attendance for the events will be limited. In addition, a portion of the ticket sales from each event will go to support a specific charity in your area. Learn more below!
Great tasting from several wineries via VineVault. They did a similar event at the end of 2019 that was pretty awesome. I plan on being at the Dallas one.

Austin (Link) 8/12
Dallas (Link) 8/13
Houston (Link) 8/14

edit:
Diamond Mountain Vineyard
Gamble Family Vineyards
Jarvis Estate
Larkmead
Lerner Project
Seven Stones
Spottswoode Estate
Switchback Ridge

TOR is in the lineup for Houston rather than Switchback. Signed up a group of 8 and then doing dinner nearby that allows corkage. Going to be a fun night!

HTownAg98
My wife and I got to play wine blender today at Kuhlmann. We were given nine lots of reds to make up the blend in certain quantities and it had to be for a 540 gallon blend, which mattered because we had limited quantities to work with. For example, we had 100 gallons of Cabernet, so it couldn't be more than roughly 18% of the blend if you decided to use it.

We speed tasted through the wines, making some quick notes on aromatics, acid, tannin, body, and fruit. After that, the table decided what kind of wine we wanted. The consensus was a steak wine that leaned new world in fruit flavors but it needed some acid and a strong tannin backbone. I came up with the first blend of 30% petit Verdot, 30% petite sirah, 5% aglianico, 15% cinsault, 10% Tempranillo, and 10% Cabernet. The reasoning behind this blend is that both the petite sirah and Petit Verdot tasted great, had awesome color, and we had a lot of both to work with. The cinsault had great aromatics and a lot of acid, so it needed to be in there in a good quantity, and the aglianico added some more acid and kept the color right. The Tempranillo and Cabernet were added for the mid-palate and tannins. Everyone loved it, but thought it drank heavy. We all loved the cinsault (it was good enough to drink on its own, and we did), so we upped it 5% and took out 5% of the petite sirah, and tried it again. Everyone loved it and we quit; no one wanted to change it at all. So the final blend was 30% petit Verdot, 25% petit sirah, 20% cinsault, 5% aglianico, 10% Tempranillo, and 10% Cabernet. We dosed everything for a 750 ml bottle, corked it, and gave it a name; HPKS, for High Plains Kitchen Sink. I wanted to name it CCSI, for Covid Can Suck It, but I was outvoted. It can be labeled a High Plains wine, because it's 95% High Plains fruit and 5% Texas Hill Country fruit (it has to be 85% to give it an AVA name). Now we wait for the staff to try it.

We then tried the four staff blends and picked a winner. The staff will then try our wine and the three other blends and pick a winner. Those two winners will go head to head to be tried by the wine making team, and that winner will be blended and bottled for a club release. If the staff vote resembles the club member vote on the best staff blend, then our blend has a chance of winning, because they were both heavy on the petite sirah/petit Verdot.

This was loads of fun, very educational, and something I've always wanted to do. If we'd had more time, I would have come up with some more blends to fine tune things, but we only had 45 minutes to make it.
cecil77
AG
Sounds like a ton of fun. Cool that they offer the experience.

One thing we do when blending, especially something new, is have some reference wines on the table. Wines of similar quality and close to your target. Even if they models are a little different from what you're trying for they give a frame of reference.
GarlandAg2012
AG
Realm allocations are out. Anyone want a 2018 Absurd? Only $575
htxag09
AG
GarlandAg2012 said:

Realm allocations are out. Anyone want a 2018 Absurd? Only $575
Guess I never told them I was interested in the previous email so didn't get the allocation. Did they make sure to tell us how they still think it's a great value at $575?!?!
GarlandAg2012
AG
Quote:

Our quest to produce the very best with The Absurd has always been based on a no-rules philosophy. It could be one vineyard or many. It could be one varietal or several. It could be the same barrels, different barrels, or fractions of barrels. The one constant is to look for components that deliver something extra from the vintagea certain je ne sais quoi, to use Benoit's native language. Thought of in this way, The Absurd sort of makes itselfor rather reveals itself in time. The approach is distinct from every other wine we make at Realm.

The Absurd is both serious and playful, a wine crafted in the pursuit of greatness that also beckons us to enjoy the ride. Thank you for believing in Realm and for being part of this journey with us!
Chipotlemonger
AG
Yea for the price tag I think I would like to know a little more than "the wine reveals itself in time."
bularry
I'm amazed anyone would pay $575 for a Realm wine...

cecil77
AG
[insert normal Realm rant here]
First Page Last Page
Page 234 of 301

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.