Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Whats in your wine cellar?

1,292,738 Views | 10569 Replies | Last: 6 hrs ago by BSD
Daytona22
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I may have a line on getting some Scarecrow this year if you're interested. Can follow up once I know for sure. I'm in Houston.
Daytona22
AG
HTownAg98 said:

Depending on how much you want to geek out, do it blind or double blind. It's a good way to get people out of their preconceived notions about wine. The catch is that there are people who know what they like and get all butthurt when you show them something they like more than the wine they brought and it was 1/3 the price. So if you decide to do that, be careful who you invite.
this is a fun idea. We do something like this with a big wine night each year. 24 couples. Each couple brings 2 bottles of the same wine. Usually have a theme: South American reds, Napa cabs, Spanish, etc. put the bottles in brown bags labeled 1-24 and taste throughout the evening. Score them and write comments. Do a big reveal showing from worst to best along with price point. It's a fun evening and goes to show sometimes you can tell price points and others it gives you new wines to buy at cheaper entry points.
aggiecive
AG
Be sure to try KrisTodd at the Howell Mountain tasting tonight.
JCA1
AG
malibuVLX said:

I may have a line on getting some Scarecrow this year if you're interested. Can follow up once I know for sure. I'm in Houston.

I appreciate the offer but I just consulted my January Amex statement and it appears I should pass. Between Myriad Dr. Crane, the Saxum release and my Italics wine club shipment, it's been a rough month.
HTownAg98
You're not the only one.
BullSprig07
AG
What part of town are you in?
htxag09
AG
Rice military / heights area.
Elkos Magic Cookbook
AG
Got the email confirming I finally made the Scarcrow and Schrader list. How much are these bad running these days?
aggiecive
AG
Anyone have wine from ADAMVS? I tasted some from them at the Taste of Howell Mountain last night in Houston and loved their wine. Their QUINTVS Cab was outstanding.
htxag09
AG
We first tasted it at the event a couple years ago and love it also. We bought all three there.

Been buying a couple a year between the Quintvs and Teres since.

Edit: who was representing them? When we went it was a younger female assistant (I think) winemaker. We talked to her for at least an hour.
MooreTrucker
AG
Got a question for you experts. I asked a winery owner friend yesterday about cellaring one of his wines that we love. He said "I wouldn't keep it past 2023. We used 7-year corks and after that, it's 50-50 if it will be good."

I've never heard of this. Is it a real thing? And if so, what are the different time limits for corks and how can you tell which is which?

What are the rules for how long to cellar wines?
aggiecive
AG
Sarah Donley was the primary rep last night. I'm pretty sure one of the owners was the some of the time too. I bought some last night and plan to buy more.
aggiecive
AG
Sarah is the winemaker at ADAMVS.
htxag09
AG
What kind of wine is it and from where?

I know you can use different synthetic or different grade corks. But don't really know if they have a specific life span as you referred to....

When I age wines I kind of go by general rules based on the grape (level of tannins, acid, alcohol, etc.) and regions (California 5-10 years, Bordeaux can be even longer, etc.). I've always just assumed a quality producer out of Bordeaux or Napa will use a cork sufficient to age it that long.

I will say, the only wines I've bought to truly age are Sauternes from our wedding year (2014) and a couple vintages champagnes here and there. Most our wines, we're just aging to the general rule I said above. Mainly cabs from Napa and mainly holding them until they're 5+ years.
JCA1
AG
nclawson said:

Got the email confirming I finally made the Scarcrow and Schrader list. How much are these bad running these days?

I don't know for certain but I think scarecrow is about $1200/3 pack.
aggiejumper
AG
Last year they were $399.88/bottle after shipping (which is way too much in my opinion) and taxes.
JCA1
AG
aggiejumper said:

Last year they were $399.88/bottle after shipping (which is way too much in my opinion) and taxes.

Weren't you the guy who just told me to buy it?
htxag09
AG
JCA1 said:

aggiejumper said:

Weren't you the guy who just told me to buy it?
MooreTrucker
AG
Wines from Tx High Plains and from New Mexico.
aggiejumper
AG
The shipping is too much. Something like $80 for 3 bottles. I still recommend buying if you can, it's a commodity at the minimum and an excellent bottle if you drink it. This is the most expensive wine I have by a large margin but it fits my tastes so is my special occasion cab.
JCA1
AG
aggiejumper said:

The shipping is too much. Something like $80 for 3 bottles. I still recommend buying if you can, it's a commodity at the minimum and an excellent bottle if you drink it. This is the most expensive wine I have by a large margin but it fits my tastes so is my special occasion cab.

I thought it came through but if not, I was just busting your chops a little bit. I do appreciate the insight though.
752bro4
AG
752bro4 said:

Headed out to Napa this weekend, it's going to be unseasonably cold and possibly wet. It's a big group Saturday, and possibly a **** show.

Friday - nothing planned except lunch at RH Yountville
Saturday - Dutch Henry, Schweiger, Yao Family ('Tine folks in the group), dinner at Auburge du Soleil
Sunday (smaller group) - reserve tasting at Cakebread, Caldwell, then hop around St. Helena/Yountville, dinner at Bouchon

Looking forward to Caldwell for the stories more than anything. Possibly have a really, really good hook up at Cakebread, but won't know until Thursday or Friday.

We may look for some indoor activities like Wine Thief or other tasting rooms if it's going to be nasty.

My wife is kicking around Palmaz, Ram's Gate, La Quintessa, Davies (we're members at Schramsberg), and Darioush for some of our down time. Anyone have opinions on any of these to add to it?
And what actually happened:

Friday:
Trefethen - $35/pp - Typical winery located right on 29 in Oak Knoll. We did the standard tasting on the 2nd floor. Started with a Dry Rielsing, then Pinot, Cab Sauv, Dragon's Tooth, and Reserve Cab Sauv. Purchased a Reserve Cab and 2015 Cab, some olive oils, and some sort of vinegar.

Robert Sinskey - Flight of Five - $40/pp - nice tasting room right off of Silverado trail - we walked in 10 minutes before they closed. I probably would have told us to leave, but they were very nice and happily let 13 of us belly up to their bar. Their kitchen prepared some small bites to pair with. Started out with the Abraxas and thoroughly enjoyed it, next was a pinot (can't remember which), Cab Franc, Marcien Blend, and POV Blend. Ended up buying two each of the Abrazas and POVs.

Saturday: Rain rain rain rain rain

Dutch Henry - Collector tasting - $35/pp - Way way way up north of St. Helena, probably closer to Calistoga. This is supposed to be a very laid back place where you can grab a bottle and enjoy bocce ball courts and picnic tables, but rain. We hung out in their barn area and sampled 5 or 6 wines, one from a barrel. Wines were decent, but the rain probably kept our enjoyment of the place from being as high as it could have been. Purchased 2 Russian River Pinots, and 2 Chafen Family estate syrahs. A guy in our group purchased a case of "The Hen" blend futures and I'll get two of those from him.

Schweiger - way north of St. Helena in the Spring Mountain AVA. Gorgeous views, despite the rain. A guy in our group is a member and they put our group in the tank rooms for a private estate tasting. Chard, Sauv Blanc, Cuvee, Merlot, Estate Cab, and Port. Mr. Schweiger came out and did a Q&A with us, and a history of the winery. I ended up buying a 1/2 case of their Estate Cab and a port.

Sunday:

Cakebread Cellars - right on 29 in Rutherford - Reserve tasting - $65/pp - greeted with a sauv blanc, brief walk thru of the barrels, and into the Cakebread house in a private dining room. There's a lot of construction going on currently there, and they're building an all new visitor's center. A 2015 chard, then 3 cabs, ending with Dancing Bear Cab. In-house cooks had prepared a dried fruit salami, and a couple of other salamis plus cheeses from Cowgirl Creamery. Ended up with 2 of the 2014 Dancing Bears, 2 2015 Cabs.

Caldwell - located in the Coombsville area, which I was unfamiliar with. Beautiful drive once you get out of the neighborhoods. Private tasting for 2, unfortunately Mr. Caldwell wasn't there, but our host Mario was great. I can't remember where we started, but they poured 10-12 different wines, a bourbon, and a port. We joined (we're easy targets) and got an additional 1/2 case of Rose sent. Our 1st 6 are the Gold, Silver, Rocket Science, Cab Franc, and 2 Syrah. I cannot recommend this place enough.

On our list for next or future trips:
Hourglass, Turnbull, Gargiulo, Alejandro Bulgheroni
ILikeTacos
AG
I have been waiting 5 years to get a BOND allocation and I just got it and I am dumbfounded at the prices. I can't justify this....
aggiejumper
AG
It's absurd what some wines go for. I can buy 20-30 year old bordeaux for the same price per bottle as Realm/Bond/Scarecrow/etc. Needless to say my buying patterns have shifted significantly.
cecil77
AG
aggiejumper said:

It's absurd what some wines go for. I can buy 20-30 year old bordeaux for the same price per bottle as Realm/Bond/Scarecrow/etc. Needless to say my buying patterns have shifted significantly.
And I'm glad they have!! It pays to know people...
Tumble Weed
aggiejumper said:

All of the Gran Cru juice out of St. Emilion seems to fit my mouth. Started picking up some bottles out of Pomerol as well. Lot's of bottles to be had for less than $100, but my bottles are much younger than yours and rarely avoid the corkscrew in my house. I think that I am down to my last two from St. Emilion.

I want to start learning what I like in the Burgundy region, but I don't know where to start.

cecil77
AG
Tumble Weed said:

aggiejumper said:

All of the Gran Cru juice out of St. Emilion seems to fit my mouth. Started picking up some bottles out of Pomerol as well. Lot's of bottles to be had for less than $100, but my bottles are much younger than yours and rarely avoid the corkscrew in my house. I think that I am down to my last two from St. Emilion.

I want to start learning what I like in the Burgundy region, but I don't know where to start.

Right there with you! "Accumulating bottles" is a somewhat futile challenge...
HTownAg98
Tumble Weed said:

aggiejumper said:

Burgundy is it's own little world. I don't know much, but if you stay out of the Grand Crus (way too expensive), and stick with Premier Cru or Village level wines, you can find some exceptional stuff. Your best bet is to find a local shop that carries a lot of Burgundy and ask them. Austin Wine Merchant and possibly Houston Wine Merchant would be where I'd start.
Tumble Weed
HTownAg98 said:

Tumble Weed said:

aggiejumper said:

Burgundy is it's own little world. I don't know much, but if you stay out of the Grand Crus (way too expensive), and stick with Premier Cru or Village level wines, you can find some exceptional stuff. Your best bet is to find a local shop that carries a lot of Burgundy and ask them. Austin Wine Merchant and possibly Houston Wine Merchant would be where I'd start.
Thanks. I want to make a trip to Houston Wine Merchant. May do that on Saturday. I will start at the village level and work my way up.
cecil77
AG
Quote:

Thanks. I want to make a trip to Houston Wine Merchant. May do that on Saturday. I will start at the village level and work my way up.

You might want to consider the opposite approach. Buy the most expensive bottle that you can get away with. That way you can decide if Burgundy is even your thing. Pinot is so different from Bordeaux grapes that some people just don't seem to be able to find a taste for it. Very sumptous, but pale in color in comparison. Silkier tannins, not as bold, etc. May as well start with something really good, and then you can search for more reasonably priced bottles that compare to it.

Plus it's a plausible justification to buy a more expensive bottle...

Have fun!
htxag09
AG
I'd also consider total wine. They have a broader selection for most items and better prices. You can also browse the selection and do some research before hand on their app.

With both, the employees can be hit or miss. I've gotten great help and great recommendations and also gotten crap.

Last time we were at houston wine merchant I was looking at German Riesling and an employee "recommended" his favorite. I asked if it was dry and he didn't know, said it's been a while since he had it. I get not every employee is going to be knowledgeable, need some people to fill shelves, etc. Just caught me as odd since he gave me the opinion unsolicited.
BullSprig07
AG
cecil77 said:

Quote:

Pinot is so different from Bordeaux grapes that some people just don't seem to be able to find a taste for it. Very sumptous, but pale in color in

People who can't find a taste for pinot are people I just don't generally associate with, kind of like people who went to Baylor.

j/k that's actually good advice
MooreTrucker
AG
htxag09 said:

I'd also consider total wine. They have a broader selection for most items and better prices. You can also browse the selection and do some research before hand on their app.

With both, the employees can be hit or miss. I've gotten great help and great recommendations and also gotten crap.

Last time we were at houston wine merchant I was looking at German Riesling and an employee "recommended" his favorite. I asked if it was dry and he didn't know, said it's been a while since he had it. I get not every employee is going to be knowledgeable, need some people to fill shelves, etc. Just caught me as odd since he gave me the opinion unsolicited.
Your "crap" might be their "great". Everyone's taste is different.
Tumble Weed
cecil77 said:

Quote:

You might want to consider the opposite approach. Buy the most expensive bottle that you can get away with. That way you can decide if Burgundy is even your thing. Pinot is so different from Bordeaux grapes that some people just don't seem to be able to find a taste for it. Very sumptous, but pale in color in comparison. Silkier tannins, not as bold, etc. May as well start with something really good, and then you can search for more reasonably priced bottles that compare to it.

Plus it's a plausible justification to buy a more expensive bottle...

Have fun!
Plausible justification is important at my house. I always throw away the receipt before I get home, so I can honestly say that I don't quite remember how much it cost.
htxag09
AG
I agree. However, my example wasn't that our tastes are different and just didn't like something that may have very well been a well made wine. It was that someone on the floor who was not knowledgeable about wine (or that specific wine, at least) pushing a product and couldn't explain the basic flavor/body profiles of it.

Also, employees at an upscale wine store should be asking questions about what you like to recommend wines. So yes, it may be crap to me even though they really like it. But they should find out what I like vs. just blindly recommending what they like. That's why I pay a premium to go to Houston Wine Merchant or Total Wine.....
First Page Last Page
Page 173 of 302

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.