Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Whats in your wine cellar?

1,284,177 Views | 10513 Replies | Last: 4 days ago by bularry
cecil77
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm a big fan of Total Wine as well. And I find their prices very good. At my store there's usually another wine customer or two to chat with as well. Honestly having a pin (CSW in my case) helps in talking with some of the store employees who really don't know very much. And many of them are in the process of studying as well. I kind of use them as a wine hangout when I go.
BigAg95
AG
Decided to do some exploratory drinking this weekend. I picked up a LaPierre Morgon and two different bottles of Hermitage (Chapoutier and Barruol). Have never tried either appellation before. All seem a little young, so I'll need to break out the decanter.
cecil77
AG
BigAg95 said:

Decided to do some exploratory drinking this weekend. I picked up a LaPierre Morgon and two different bottles of Hermitage (Chapoutier and Barruol). Have never tried either appellation before. All seem a little young, so I'll need to break out the decanter.

"exploratory drinking" I love that! Gonna use it. May claim it as my own...

Beaujolais crus get a bum rap. I bet it's good.
MooreTrucker
AG
In Vegas, headed to the wine cellar at the Rio. Anything really good that I should be looking out for?
cecil77
AG
MooreTrucker said:

In Vegas, headed to the wine cellar at the Rio. Anything really good that I should be looking out for?

With boobs, or without?
HTownAg98
Had this tonight. It reminds me a lot of Premier Cru Burgundy for about half the price.
HTownAg98
BigAg95 said:

If those Hermitage wines are after 2012, you may as well pour them Saturday morning and plan on drinking them Sunday evening.
BigAg95
AG
One is a 12, the other is a 13. I have a fear of opening wine before cellar tracker says it's ok, so I will probably hold off on those for a while.
MooreTrucker
AG
cecil77 said:

MooreTrucker said:

With boobs, or without?
LOL...well, since I'm with the wife, probably without this time.
HTownAg98
BigAg95 said:

One is a 12, the other is a 13. I have a fear of opening wine before cellar tracker says it's ok, so I will probably hold off on those for a while.

That's a very good idea. We opened a 2011 Chapoutier La Sizeranne recently, and it was drinking well, but still had enough structure to go another decade.
BigAg95
AG
We ended up opening a 2015 Sanguis Misfit, and it was a bit disappointing in terms of QPR. Good, but nowhere near as good as the Myriad syrahs at the same price point.
HTownAg98
That wine is too young. Most of the Sanguis stuff needs some age on it to really shine. I had a 2013 Misfit that a friend shared with me that was outstanding.
cecil77
AG
MooreTrucker said:

cecil77 said:

MooreTrucker said:

With boobs, or without?
LOL...well, since I'm with the wife, probably without this time.

I don't know, may be "with" if you treat her right!
cecil77
AG
It was a very good day at Inwood Estates yesterday. Especial our "barrel research" after closing.

The new "Chateau Marie La Rose" label is nearing release. The label looks great, but may not be finished yet. This wine will be a classically styled left bank Bordeaux blend. All of the grapes will come from Dan's vineyard on Kay and Charlie Pence's '51 property just west of Fredericksburg. If Charlie sounds familiar he is one of the newest Aggie Distinguished alums.

I can't wait for the release, this wine may well alter the perception of many on what we can do in Texas and just where grapes can grow. In the future there will be a "Petite Marie" 2nd label as is the custom in Bordeaux. There may also, upon occasion, be a "Gran Marie" in exceptional years.
JMC04
AG
Can't recommend Hourglass enough, we visited their Blueline estate this past May and had a great experience. Justin Verlander and Kate Upton were there recently. Kate made a large 375ml purchase so she can sneak the bottles into Minute Maid Park lol.

For those interested in visiting they only host existing customers.

During our visit, I was asking our host Ian what their biggest markets were, as I felt that Houston was a Napa cab town. Ian said that Texas was their biggest market, and Houston buys more than Dallas and Austin combined. Ian has done multiple private parties in River Oaks/West U.
BigAg95
AG
HTownAg98 said:

That wine is too young. Most of the Sanguis stuff needs some age on it to really shine. I had a 2013 Misfit that a friend shared with me that was outstanding.
Yeah, that was why I gave it a lot of time in the decanter. It probably could have used more!

I actually joined their wine club on your recommendation, and I have all of the bottles I've received laid down and don't plan to touch them for a few years at least. This one was a wine club selection from my neighborhood shop, so we didn't feel bad giving it a shot now. Bonus was I got to taste a Sanguis wine for the first time since I am not ready to open any of mine yet.

Think we will give the Morgon a shot this evening. It is a little young also, but we bought two so we can lay the other one down for another year or two.
GBMont3
AG
Brought a 2014 Rivers Marie Panek Cab to dinner at Ellerbe in Fort Worth last night. Dropped it off early for a bit of time in the decanter. Needed about 2 hours to really come to life, was at its best about the time we got ready for dessert.

Related note - they've got a pretty good wine program at Ellerbe with a retail operation out front. Some really good bottles (spotted some SQN) at really good prices.
cecil77
AG
Do any of you know Taylor Martin at Italics?

I'd really like to contact him.

Thanks! Cecil
JCA1
AG
cecil77 said:

Do any of you know Taylor Martin at Italics?

I'd really like to contact him.

Thanks! Cecil

Don't "know" him but I've been to the italics winery a couple times and chatted with him and emailed back and forth a couple times. Really easy going guy who has always been very accessible and prompt with any questions. My guess is you could just email him and he'll get back to you shortly.
JCA1
AG
And I should add, I had a 2015 Italics proprietary red last night. Quite good.
Jono85
AG
I know Taylor. He is a great guy and easy to talk to.

I would call the winery and ask for him.
Jono85
AG
Check out this article that Jim Gordan from Wine Enthusiast wrote in the upcoming new issue of the magazine about Brassfield Estate Winery where I manage the vineyards and property
https://www.winemag.com/2019/01/31/producers-behind-californias-volcanic-wines/

Our website
https://www.brassfieldestate.com
BSD
AG
Just got my Scarecrow letter. Offered 9 bottles at $400 each.
JCA1
AG
BSD said:

Just got my Scarecrow letter. Offered 9 bottles at $400 each.

Hey. We all need Tuesday wines too.
aggiejumper
AG
Up $50 a bottle. I'll buy but this is getting to my limit.
Austintm
aggiejumper said:

Until they raise it again next year

I am still on the waiting list...
BSD
AG
Austintm said:

aggiejumper said:

Until they raise it again next year

I am still on the waiting list...

You won't be for long.
aggiejumper
AG
Yep or I'll just turn into a flipper on it. Passed on VHR in favor of Scarecrow, next year might be the the other way around.
Price reference per 3 pack since I made the list. Those numbers are not inclusive of shipping and tax which is another $150 or so per 3 pack

2012 $855
2013 $900
2014 $990
2015 $1050
2016 $1200
JCA1
AG
Does anyone here buy Detert wines? I signed up about 6 months ago but haven't heard anything yet. Not sure what kind of waiting list, if any, they have.

I'm a Cab Franc fan which is their primary wine. And they sit in the heart of To Kalon. They're winemaker is also the winemaker for Dakota Shy, another wine I'm a fan of. Figure their stuff is worth a shot. Anyone have any thoughts on them?
JMC04
AG
Jono85 said:

Check out this article that Jim Gordan from Wine Enthusiast wrote in the upcoming new issue of the magazine about Brassfield Estate Winery where I manage the vineyards and property
https://www.winemag.com/2019/01/31/producers-behind-californias-volcanic-wines/

Our website
https://www.brassfieldestate.com
Great website, looks like an incredible property. Thanks for sharing.
BSD
AG
JCA1 said:

Does anyone here buy Detert wines? I signed up about 6 months ago but haven't heard anything yet. Not sure what kind of waiting list, if any, they have.

I'm a Cab Franc fan which is their primary wine. And they sit in the heart of To Kalon. They're winemaker is also the winemaker for Dakota Shy, another wine I'm a fan of. Figure their stuff is worth a shot. Anyone have any thoughts on them?

It's good juice. Go for it. They are next door to MacDonald. They are actually cousins to the MacDonald family.
GarlandAg2012
AG
Been reading/hearing mention of Realm for a while and have been on their list but never bought until this year. I put in a wish for one bottle each of what was left and got it fulfilled. Have a bottle of 2016 Houyi and 2016 Moonracer shipping in a couple weeks. I'm assuming based on the price these will be quite good, but because they're still left are probably not the most desirable wines they make? Can anyone give me a quick rundown of what to try to get if I get an allocation eventually?
BigAg95
AG
Garland -

I can offer no insight on those wines, but I can tell you that I signed up for Realm's list last year and received an allocation in their next release. I've bought a few bottles, but don't plan to open anything for quite a while.
Austintm
GarlandAg2012 said:

Been reading/hearing mention of Realm for a while and have been on their list but never bought until this year. I put in a wish for one bottle each of what was left and got it fulfilled. Have a bottle of 2016 Houyi and 2016 Moonracer shipping in a couple weeks. I'm assuming based on the price these will be quite good, but because they're still left are probably not the most desirable wines they make? Can anyone give me a quick rundown of what to try to get if I get an allocation eventually?
Drank a 2010 Realm Beckstoffer Dr. Crane on Saturday
Awesome.
GarlandAg2012
AG
Austintm said:

GarlandAg2012 said:

Drank a 2010 Realm Beckstoffer Dr. Crane on Saturday
Awesome.

So I should just plan to sit on it for 5+ years?
First Page Last Page
Page 174 of 301

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.