Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Whats in your wine cellar?

1,286,871 Views | 10525 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by Orozco05
BSD
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We used to buy the Realm Falstaff, a mostly CF blend. I always loved it. We also bought Pott's CF. They are pricey but very good. Doesn't Keenan make a good CF from Spring Mountain? There are some other producers I remember enjoying as well but will have to check my notes when I get home (I'm an hour from Napa this week and have no plans to go there...it hurts my soul)
BSD
AG
Last night I had a glass of 2002 Lancaster Estate Cab Sauv with a prime NY Strip at my friends house.
cecil77
AG
Thanks to AlexSAwineguy for including me in their monthly wine lunch yesterday. Shown is the damage. Seven guys over three hours. Note to self: Eat breakfast next time...

Chipotlemonger
AG
Got a Barnett Merlot yesterday. Can't wait to have it.
HTownAg98
quote:
We used to buy the Realm Falstaff, a mostly CF blend. I always loved it. We also bought Pott's CF. They are pricey but very good. Doesn't Keenan make a good CF from Spring Mountain? There are some other producers I remember enjoying as well but will have to check my notes when I get home (I'm an hour from Napa this week and have no plans to go there...it hurts my soul)

Yes, Keenan makes an excellent cab franc for a fair price. Provenance makes a good one as well.
AlexSAWineguy
AG
Cecil,

It was great having you, already sent you the info for next months lunch.

BSD,

Did you order any Quilceda? I was offered Galitzine and Palengat but didn't see the regular offering. Also, what about 2012 Seven Stones (Pott), worth getting?

A2
FarmerJohn
AG
quote:
Provenance makes a good one as well.
Oh, good one. I had a bottle of that in October that I really liked. I don't have that sophisticated of a pallet to describe the flavors, but I thought it having a bit of tobacco flavor as a minor component. Or coffee might be a better descriptor. Again not my strong suit. Still, at $39 from the winery, I thought it good enough to be worth it, but maybe not a good "value".
aggiejumper
AG
Warning- Long Post

I'm finally getting a chance to post a summary and write up of my trip to Napa last week. The weather was perfect and the wines were just as great. We flew into SFO in the morning, it was myself, my girlfriend, my mom, sister, and my girlfriends mom. I had rented a 4 bedroom house in Northern Napa with the backyard backed up to a vineyard. Little did my then girlfriend know, everyone else did, I was planning on proposing to her on the trip also.

Day 1- Two wineries in the afternoon
Lunch was at Oakville Grocery. This has become the traditional stop on the first day up the valley for lunch, I have yet to have anything less then exceptional there.

Schramsberg- I am a club member and elected to skip the tour and do a tasting only. We were allowed to pick 4 wines to taste; we chose '12 Brut Rose, '11 Querencia (Brut Rose only from Carneros), '06 J.Schram, and '06 Reserve. They were all great sparklers but the Reserve and Querencia were my favorites. I ended up purchasing some Querencia and a magnum of the 2000 Late Disgorged Reserve (I'm thinking anniversary some day in the future).

Next stop the first afternoon was at Schweiger Vineyards up on Spring Mountain. This was my first trip up Spring Mountain and the views are amazing. Schweiger is directly below Pride Mountain. Fred Schweiger, the proprietor, stopped by and talked with us for a while, him and his wife live on the property. We tasted the '14 Sav. Blanc, '12 Chard, '10 Cab, '10 Dedication, and a Port that they made. The Sauvignon Blanc and Cabernet were the favorites. The Cab is old world style and not as dense and fruit forward as the typical Napa Cabs.The wines are all aged 32 months in Oak barrels and then bottled for release two years later hence the '10 was being served. We purchased several bottles of Cab and Sauv. Blanc. We toured the winery and then the hosts let us sit and enjoy the last wine.

Then is was time to pop the question. We walked out to the vineyard for a "picture" and like they say, the rest is history. The pictures turned out amazing and the weather and backdrop were perfect. I had a custom etched bottled of Schramsberg made and delivered to Schweiger so we could celebrate the occasion. Here are a few pictures; I feel like the luckiest man in the world.

Needless to say there were a lot of phone calls to be made and dinner ended up being delivery pizza at the house we rented. Pizza and tons of champagne never tasted so good. The house even had a hot tub up against the vineyard fence.

Day 2- Five wineries on the schedule

Stony Hill- My mom and I visited Stony Hill last October and the notes are nearly identical as last time. They were serving the same wines, 4 whites and one red. The lighter whites are pretty good as are both chardonnays we tasted, '09 and '12. The views are great and at 9 am the weather is still cool and crisp.

Bevan Cellars- This was the tasting I was most excited about and it didn't let me down at all. Bevan makes and tastes their wines at Chateau Boswell; he is currently in permitting for a cave and tasting facility of his own on the property he controls at the Tench vineyard. Due to the high allocations and low production, they typically don't serve the Cabernet's. We were luckly and were able to taste one. The wines served were '13 Kick Ranch Sauv. Blanc, '13 Richie Chard, '13 Pinot Noir (I forget the vineyard), and the '13 Ontogeny. First off, these wines are amazing, in your face powerful, rich beasts. The Sauv. Blanc was great and was the heaviest light wine I've ever had. The Richie Chard was my wine of the trip; it wasn't buttery at all and had a finish that lasted for 90 seconds going from dense stone fruit to caramel to butterscotch that wouldn't stop. I kept going back to it during the tour. The pinot was again very dense and had a smoky essence, think sweet BBQ aroma. The flavor was really good, it's a Cab lovers Pinot for sure. Last was the Ontogeny, this is the wine that is all the SVD "leftover production." The wine is bold and supple all in one; the tannins are present but not overpowering. Think velvet hammer. Bevan is one of my favorite wine makers along with Mike Smith and TRB.

Lunch was at Auberge Du Soleil, another must visit each time I'm in Napa. If you have a chance to dine here do not hesitate, best view of the Rutherford Valley. Food is always perfect as is the service.

Burgess Cellars- I leaned that the Howell Mountain AVA has an elevation requirement so even though Burgess is up on Howell Mountain, they are in the Napa AVA. There is a movement to create a Deer Park AVA for this region. The views once up at the winery are once again amazing. You can see directly across the valley to Diamond Mountain. The Burgess wines are terrible, I won't get into details but they are flat and disjointed with no style. Think church wine. Great view, bad wine. Will not be returning.

Hall St. Helena Location- I'm a member at Hall and have visited their Rutherford location and wanted to check out their St. Helena location, plus the tour and tasting was comped by being a member. Hall is the winery with the huge The building is LEED certified and is very contemporary. We were served a glass of Sauv. Blanc upon arrival and began the tour. The tour was interesting as it described all the contemporary art that the Hall family has on the property. We then entered the Bergfield building and barrel tasted the '13 Kathryn Hall which hadn't quite come together yet. They do have one of the coolest dinning table's I've ever seen; I forget which type of tree but it's all one piece. The tour wound through the vineyards and up to the tasting rooms. We tried some of their wines which weren't too memorable and moved on.

Mumm- I always like to end the days at Mumm overlooking the valley with some sparkling wines. I forget what bottle we purchased, I think it was a 2002 DVX, nice and toasty and creamy. We each had a glass and a cheese/nuts plate and headed for home for more sparking wine and leftover pizza.

Day 3 and 4 we were in San Francisco doing touristy things and eating way too much great food. Overall it was the trip of a lifetime and we can't wait to go back. Every time we head back will bring back all the great memories from this trip and the beauty of the region.
BSD
AG
Long post such as these are very much welcomed. Congrats on the engagement. It looks like the perfect trip!
aggiemike02
AG
Congrats!
Chipotlemonger
AG
Congrats!
TP Ag '87
AG
Wow. Home run on all aspects it appears. Nicely done!
HTownAg98
Damn, I'm sad you didn't like Burgess.
cecil77
AG
Longer post later as we're still here.... We enjoyed all of the Burgess wines. Factor in the price point and it's even better. We purchased one each of Merlot, Cab Franc and Estate Reserve. One difference I tastes may be that we rarely find a white we like even though we're trying to, and when we do its never a Sauv Blanc. There was a glitch in the tasting experience, though, I'll mention in a longer post.

And great job on the proposal!
aggiejumper
AG
Thanks everyone.

Cecil, I'm glad ya'll enjoyed their wines. Guess this proves everyone's palate is different. I did love the smell of their tasting room; musty oak and fermenting grapes is the best. We did taste the '06 Cab that had a bit more promise, I think if it had some time to breathe it might be a nice wine but wasn't willing to wait.
BSD
AG
quote:

BSD,

Did you order any Quilceda? I was offered Galitzine and Palengat but didn't see the regular offering. Also, what about 2012 Seven Stones (Pott), worth getting?

A2
No Q-Creek for me. But I am a 2012 Seven Stones/Pott buyer. And '13. His wines are consistently good.

Speaking of buying, other than the glass I had on vacation, I haven't had a glass of wine in what seems like forever and I'm jonesin' for something...anything! But since I don't see wine in my near future, I've been buying a little bit to ease the pain. this month:

2013 Carter Cellars To Kalon "Three Kings" Cabernet (might pick up more To Kalon '13s)
2013 Becklyn Cellars Cab, Reserve Cab, and Sauv Blanc
2012 Seven Stones Cab Sauv

I'm going long on the '13s and will pull back on future vintages (save that money for a new cellar in a new home).
bularry
I went to a wine event with a Napa guy on Saturday night. I know it isn't new news, but he thought '13 was going to be fantastic for the area. so I'm with you, I'm likely to up my '13 Cali cab purchases quite a bit.

My only concern will be yields and were the vineyards wise to limit the yields to get the highest quality juice or did they give in to temptation to produce more volume for the sake of more case production. will be interesting to see over the next 6-9 months.
HTownAg98
A&M researchers may have discovered a feasible solution to Pierce's Disease.
http://www.winespectator.com/webfeature/show?id=51991
BSD
AG
The '12 Ovid release is today. I'm in the fence. I love Pritchard Hill wine but hate the price on these.
aggiejumper
AG
Save up for the '13 next year. Like most people I'm buying up tons of 13's.
HTownAg98
IIRC, '13 was an excellent crop and a big crop, which means there's going to be a lot of good wine available for us mere commoners.
aggiejumper
AG
Htown, the way I understand it is '12 had high yields and great concentration and the '13's had very low yields and excellent concentration and tannin structure; some say the best season in a decade. My allocations were down in '13 as most small producers didnt have enough wine to offer full allocations as in '12.

Just my 2 cents
HTownAg98
I may have my vintages backward then.
BSD
AG
I have 41 bottles of cab coming (or cellared) for the '13 vintage with a few more producers still to buy...Pott, Piper, Realm, and Scarecrow off the top of my head. I'll try to get some Fait Main can from Las Piedras next year as well. For me, that should be enough for a LONG time! 2014 purchases will be about 1/3 of that. I'd be smart to skip it all together but I know myself too well.
bularry
dang, cheers BSD!!

I'm only on 2 napa allocation lists and I haven't gotten anything yet for '13, in fact haven't even gotten my '12 allocation for one of them (next month).

I must be confused, too, because I thought '13 was the highest yield and then '14 was good growing but lower yields.
HTownAg98
I found the Wine Spectator harvest reports for the last three harvests in the Napa Valley.
2012:
quote:
The good news: An ideal seasonno frosts, a mild spring and summer and a tranquil fall.

The bad news: The biggest challenge was finding space for all the grapes.

Picking started: Aug. 6 for sparkling wine; Sept. 10 for still wine

Promising grapes: Cabernet Sauvignon shined brightest, but everything prospered, from Merlot to Zinfandel to Chardonnay.

Analysis: Winemakers in Napa Valley were not only elated by the quality and quantity of the 2012 harvest, but a few see a level of excellence that supersedes past vintages, going back decades. "2012 will be a new high-water mark for Napa and California," said Chuck Wagner of Caymus, who celebrated his 40th harvest in Rutherford. "I'd say that it is likely that many vintners have made their best wines ever." Celia Welch of Corra echoed that sentiment. "The vines appeared so beautifully balanced that even some veteran growers were fooled by the size of the crop load. If the vintage presented a challenge, it was one of logistics," she said, as in, "where can we put all of the fruit above and beyond what we had planned for?"

No growing season is easy, but 2012 presented few challenges. A mild spring led to a good fruit set. Summer and fall brought warm temperatures, but no heat waves. All the fruit enjoyed a long, slow ripening. Early indications are that Cabernets will be dark, rich and ageworthy, inviting comparisons with 2001, 2002 and 2007. "The saturation of color is amazing; the wines are almost black," said Jeff Ames of Rudius and Tor. "The Bordeaux varieties are all heavy with tannins but it is sweet tannins and not drying at all."

"Skins appeared to be pretty thick so I'm guessing it will be a high-structure year even with the bigger crop," said Thomas Brown, owner of Rivers Marie and winemaker for a dozen wineries, including Outpost and Schrader. "The one thing we know for sure is there will be plenty of wine for everyonea really nice change after the last two years."

2013:
quote:
The good news: An ideal seasondry conditions and a long, sunny summer.

The bad news: Sugar levels soared, but patient growers could produce balanced fruit.

Picking started: Aug. 9

Promising grapes: Cabernet Sauvignon shined brightest, but everything excelled, from reds to whites.

Analysis: Assessing harvests is a process that extends from the actual picking, to fermentations, to barrel aging and then selectionseparating the best lots from lesser ones. But so far, Napa Valley winemakers are unanimous in their enthusiasm for the just-finished 2013 harvest, a drought year and worthy, if not superior, successor to 2012.

Josh Wadaman, winemaker at Lewis, described a largely uneventful, early harvest marked by warm weather and no threat of rain. "The challenge of 2013 was to be patient and weigh the pursuit of ripeness versus the reality of increasingly high sugars." In essence, he said, "vintage '13 broke conventional thinking and certainly our conventional planning, but I think we are going to see wines with great personality as a result." At this stage, with rich midpalates and muscular tannins, "the wines seem bigger and more concentrated than in 2012."

Laurie Hook, winemaker at Beringer Vineyards, said 2013 had plenty of surprises, even if quality is very high. "We had a lot of mountain Cabernet ready before our Cabernet [on] the valley [floor]," she said. "Cabernet Franc on Howell Mountain, often the very last fruit we pick, was ready before the early-ripening Merlot on the same ranch, and a number of blocks really outperformed themselves."

Harvest was the earliest in more than 25 years, said Hook, running from Aug. 9 through Oct. 22. "Quality across the board was outstanding. The whites are bright, vibrant and balanced. The Indian summer provided ideal weather to finish up harvest allowing us to pick each block at peak flavor levels and phenolic maturity. The color in the red varieties was over the top and the season allowed us to match that with rich ripe tannins, the result being big reds with a lot of opulence and complexity."

"The fruit was amazingly clean," said Jeff Ames, winemaker for Rudius and Tor. "The clean fruit allowed for some more whole-cluster fermentations on the Syrah, Grenache and Mourvdre-based wines, which I always like for the spice."

Vintners are divided on which of the past two vintages is superior. "I prefer the quality [of 2013] to 2012," said Aaron Pott of Pott wines. "The wines are more dense and rich and the tannins are more ripe. It is more of a bountiful 'California'-style harvest with abundant richness and density."

"For 2013 I can honestly say it was the best raw material I have ever seen," said Thomas Brown, owner of Rivers Marie and a consulting winemaker for several top wineries. "Given how cooperative the weather was, you could basically achieve anything you wanted from the grapes this year."

2014:
quote:
The good news: 2014 was a dream vintage, with quality along the lines of 2012 and 2013.

The bad news: Not much to complain about, though drought conditions and small crop size did prove to be minor irritants.

Picking started: Everything was ready to go in early- to mid-August, even Cabernet Sauvignon, which usually ripens much later.

Promising grapes: Cabernet took center stage, but all grapesincluding Chardonnay, Merlot, Syrah and Zinfandeland regions fared well, under ideal weather conditions.

Analysis: Napa Valley's harvest was unusually early this year, not surprising given the state's ongoing drought, which was so extreme that the cover crops in many vineyards never took hold. Substantial rain in late February and early March relieved most of the stress and set up the vines for a vigorous start. "Early" was the key word all season, from budbreak to veraison to harvest. Thankfully, the hotter months proved milder than most expected.

Summer weather was perfect for the grapes, said Elias Fernandez of Shafer Vineyards. "We didn't see any extremes or surprisesno 100 F days, no humidity trouble to speak of, no sunburn. We enjoyed a lot of days in the 90s, with somewhat warmer nights than the year previous, more often in the 60s than the 50s. Everything just rocked along beautifully."

Andy Erickson of Favia recalled this being the earliest harvest on record for him, with picking beginning in St. Helena Aug. 19. "But the quality of the fruit was outstanding," he said. "Dark color, intense aromatics, great fruit character. I told my team to forget the calendar and to get into sampling and tasting vineyards in earnest. Overall, I'd say we were two to three weeks earlier than last year for most vineyards, and with above-average yields."

Quality seems to be excellent, according to Erickson and other vintners. "I'd say the vintage is somewhere between 2012 and 2013, with 2013 being the darkest, most powerful wines I've seen in Napa, and 2012 not far behind, but with softer, more luscious tannins," said Erickson. "2014 at this point seems to be darker and a bit more concentrated than 2012s, but perhaps with some earlier appeal than the tightly packed wines of 2013."

Based on these reports, and everything else I've heard, the differences in these three years come down to nit-picking over stylistic preferences. The new ther point to make is there's a lot of wine, especially in 2013, available with very high quality. If you look hard enough, and with the Chinese economy softening demand, you're going to be able to find some steals on wine.
JMC04
AG
Congrats jumper! Excellent call on the Napa proposal, your new fiance now has "scoreboard" on most, if not all, of her friends. As a guy that also pulled this off (at Palmaz), I can verify that you have earned a huge amount of brownie points
BSD
AG
While we didn't get engaged in Napa, my wife got a fat rock there a few years later. It was funny because I had carried this big ring around for two days trying to find the perfect spot and time to give it to her. The stars just aligned at Seven Stones. I'm glad too because the next stop was Del Dotto and that place just isn't conducive to romance. Lust, maybe, but not romance.
aggiejumper
AG
Thanks brownguy.

Anyone buying Quilceda Creek's Fall release? I finally was invited to buy, not the signature cab though, but have never had their wine. Any thoughts?
cheeky
AG
I'm planning a "fat rock" event myself for January 2017. Napa would be at the top of my list, but I've never been there the first week of Jan (anniversary). Any recommendations for that time of year which would be worthwhile? Or other venues?
JM04
AG
We went the 1st week of January this year and loved it. We stayed in Yountville and was able to stay in a great room for 1/3 price, however some restaurants are closed that week
my recommendation is looking into Nichols ranch in Sonoma for the big moment. The winery and grounds were the nicest we saw on our trip. They also have a small church on the cliff side on their property

TP Ag '87
AG
Made it to Champagne last week. Visited 2 houses (of the supposed 4,000 in the AOC), sipped 7 different offerings, toured 2 ~800 year old cathedrals that are UNESCO listed (Champagne itself is actually now an UNESCO site) + the burial site/church of Dom Perignon.

All in all: not a bad day trip.

Side note: really cool wine bar concept in Paris: Wine by One. Highly recommend.
BSD
AG
That's awesome! I'm really jealous. I hope to get there one day and find someone to take me to Salon.
BSD
AG
Ordered today:

2007 Yquem (750ml)
2 x 2009 Yquem (375ml)

I plan to age these for a few decades to commemorate very special events in my life. I hope I make it that long!!!
bevokilla
AG
I love Yquem
First Page Last Page
Page 83 of 301

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.