Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Whats in your wine cellar?

1,260,816 Views | 10413 Replies | Last: 11 hrs ago by QBCade
aggiejumper
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Where do you purchase your Yquem from?
BSD
AG
I ordered online from Premier Cru in Berkeley. They sometimes sell futures and I know people have waited LONG periods of time to get their wine, but I'm in no hurry. I don't plan on drinking these for 20-30 years anyways.

The savings compared to Specs were incredible. The 2009 splits were 30% less than what Specs is charging. The 750ml of 2007 was $120 LESS than what Specs was charging for a 375ml!

I bought the '75 I drank this summer from HDH in Chicago. They delivered it to my hotel when i was there last October. I'll probably get another one of those when I head up there in December. It's perhaps the finest glass of wine I've ever enjoyed. Pure bliss.
BSD
AG
At Pappas Bros on Friday we enjoyed a 2009 Krupp "Synchrony" Stagecoach Vineyard Cab Sauv. Nice and elegant but the Pott CS from a different block in the vineyard is much more enjoyable. But it was great with the dinner so I enjoyed my glass and a half.

They actually took 40% off the wine after they didn't include it on the check and I asked the Somm if he liked me that much that he was coming it...because of he was I'd like some DRC while we were at it!
cecil77
AG
Speaking of DRC Shadows in the Vineyard is a good read.
BSD
AG
Speaking of speaking of DRC, I finally pulled the trigger on a bottle, the 2011 Grand Echezeaux. I found a bottle at 35% off so I went for it. It'll lay down for a decade or so but I'll be sure to post when I pop the cork on that one.

I also grabbed:
2014 Cheval Blanc
2014 Margaux
2014 Leoville las Cases
HTownAg98
Speaking of DRC, I had my last bottle of 2010 Benovia La Pommeraie this weekend. This bottle has fooled people into thinking it was DRC (two people who have DRC in their cellers thought it was one of the "lower end" DRC). Fortunately, Benovia sent out their allocations this week, so it's time to order more of this.
I need to start amassing some Rhone whites now. I love those wines in the fall for when you want a bigger white wine without the butter you get from California Chardonnay.
cecil77
AG
You guys would enjoy the book I linked. It's built around the DRC vineyard sabotage in 2010, but is really a history of the culture and wine of Burgundy.
HTownAg98
Looks like a good read. Thanks for the tip.
BSD
AG
Cecil, I put it in my wishlist at Amazon for Christmas.
TP Ag '87
AG
Cecil: Did you ever post a post-Sonoma review? I thought I saw snippets but may have I missed it.
cecil77
AG
Sloth. Just haven't done it yet. 11 wineries in Napa and two in Sonoma...
TP Ag '87
AG
C'mon, man!
BSD
AG
Ok wine brethren, I just got the 2013 Harlan letter. I'm sure this wine will be more than phenomenal but with the price tag, I need someone to talk me down...or be the enabler. What do you say?
aggiejumper
AG
Don't do it. I received that letter and laughed. Can't justify that price. Many more amazing bottles for half that.
cecil77
AG
Take roll of silver dollars. Carefully place it in your front pants pocket.

There. You've accomplished the same thing, only MUCH cheaper!
BPCAg05
AG
Just curious but what are their prices?
aggiejumper
AG
$700/bottle
$1600/mag
Maiden is 3 for $645

All that plus tax and $50+ in shipping

I prefer 2 scarecrows or hillside selects to one Harlan but to each his own.
cecil77
AG
I'm only guessing here since the most expensive wine I've ever tasted was in the $200/bottle range...

I've experienced $50 wines that are several time as good as some $25 wines. I've had $100 that might (just barely) be twice as good at that $50 bottle. And while the $200 is very good, IMO it's nowhere close to "twice as good" as the $100 bottle. I can in now way imagine that $700 bottle having a taste/dollar ratio.

Just my opinion of course, and I fully appreciate the "artistic collection" aspect of wine purchasing.
BSD
AG
quote:

Hmm, I've never had Hillside Select. Perhaps I'll buy one of those instead. Boom, just save some cash. Thanks, gentleman.
HTownAg98
quote:
quote:

Hmm, I've never had Hillside Select. Perhaps I'll buy one of those instead. Boom, just save some cash. Thanks, gentleman.

It's usually all that and a bag of chips. You chose wisely.
I've had Harlan before on several occasions, and it's really good. I'm not sure it is $600 good.
BSD
AG
I had the '99 Harlan about 3 months ago in Kauai. It blew my socks off. That's why I seriously contemplated the '13. I'm sure it'll be fantastic. But you guys are right, I can get more bottles of near-matching quality for that kind of coin. And Realm's Bard release is next week...
BSD
AG
P.S. I told my wife the price and she looked at me like I was an idiot. I mean, c'mon, she knew I wasn't all right in the head when we got married. She shouldn't act surprised now!!!
aggiejumper
AG
Exactly BSD, got the Realm email today too. The Bard then all of their '13 SVD cabs in the spring will more then make up for the skipping of Harlen. At least that's what I tell myself.

I'm surprised you've never tried Hillside select. Fantastic stuff
BSD
AG
It was always on my list, and I probably would have had it by now if circumstances were different. I need to find out if my old buying partner has an allocation on that.

I'll probably get 3 Bards and then max out my To Kalon, Crane, Pritchard Hill, and Absurd allocation in the spring. The Farella is really good but I'll just get one. That will take my '13 buying to its limit.
BSD
AG
Here's an interesting video blog post from Roy Piper

http://roypiperwines.securecheckout.com/pages/blog
RangerRick9211
AG
Our hometown professional libationist had himself voted Best New Sommolier of 2015 by Wine and Spirits.
aggiejumper
AG
Realm blends just released. My first foray into these wines and was only allocated 2 Bards of which I took both.

Anyone else purchase their allocation or get offered the Falstaff?
BSD
AG
quote:
Our hometown professional libationist had himself voted Best New Sommolier of 2015 by Wine and Spirits.
Good bull.
BSD
AG
quote:
Realm blends just released. My first foray into these wines and was only allocated 2 Bards of which I took both.

Anyone else purchase their allocation or get offered the Falstaff?
I picked up a Falstaff and 2 Bards. I passed on the Merlot. If anyone needs more, let me know. I may be able to get mags of Bard and Tempest as well.
htxag09
AG
I didn't get allocated any. I'd be interested.
BSD
AG
what's your email? There was 900 cases or Bard. There should be a lot to go around if you want to roll the dice and see if you get in on the next wave. But I can order for you if you like. Let me know.
htxag09
AG

I'd prefer to just secure one now. Appreciate it!
BSD
AG
email sent.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Had a Barnett Merlot 2011 on Sunday. Great wine. (Spring mountain district, if that's important)
HTownAg98
Had a 2011 Krutz Family Cellars Stagecoach Vineyard Cabernet tonight to celebrate kicking ass in court today. It was good in May, but it's really good now.
Oh, and one of my chillers bit the dust Sunday. So I upgraded to another 36 bottle chiller.
First Page Last Page
Page 84 of 298

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.