Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Whats in your wine cellar?

1,283,885 Views | 10513 Replies | Last: 3 days ago by bularry
BSD
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Krutz or Krupps?
HTownAg98
Krutz. Interestingly enough, it comes from Stagecoach Vineyard, which Krupp owns.
BSD
AG
Yeah, Krupp owns Stagecoach and according to their website 90 wineries use their fruit and 30 use the Stagecoach name. I don't know Krutz so therein lies my confusion. We actually had a 2009 Krupps Stagecoach at Pappas the night before the ASU game. Good stuff as well.
HTownAg98
I found this on sale at HEB. It normally sells for $65, and they were unloading it for $30. I tasted it, and bought three on the spot.
TP Ag '87
AG
HTown: reading back thru this, I wanted to make sure I understood what you were saying was the $30 find.
cecil77
AG
Our last HEB find was 2012 Megahertz Cab from the Bello Family Vineyards. Retail is $50, HEB had had it for $40 and we paid $20. Aaron Pott is the winemaker.
BSD
AG
quote:
HTown: reading back thru this, I wanted to make sure I understood what you were saying was the $30 find.
2011 Krutz Family Cellars Stagecoach Vineyard Cabernet
TP Ag '87
AG
Thanks. may head to HEB at lunch here in Houston. Wonder what my odds are,...
BSD
AG
quote:
Our last HEB find was 2012 Megahertz Cab from the Bello Family Vineyards. Retail is $50, HEB had had it for $40 and we paid $20. Aaron Pott is the winemaker.
Enjoy! I'm pretty sure he won't be making much more cab for them...

http://napavalleyregister.com/news/local/bello-s-s-california-bankruptcy-causes-waves-in-wine-country/article_da45e6e4-14cc-51b4-ba0b-e0f03b648171.html
cecil77
AG
What a mess. I'm not sure I understand "clawback" unless there was collusion, which there doesn't seem to be.

quote:
Bello was one of his customers, who bought both grapes from Stagecoach Vineyard and bulk wine from Krupp Brothers Vineyard. Krupp said Bello paid $46,380 for the bulk wine. According to the court documents, the plaintiffs sought repayment of that amount.
Krupp accepted two checks for the bulk wine, once in November 2007 and the second time in December 2010. Both checks were drawn on the bankrupt Walldesign Inc. account.
Krupp said he thought he had a good case to fight, but his attorney advised settling the case because it would cost more in legal fees to fight it than it was worth. Krupp and the plaintiff ended up settling for 55 percent, or $27,828 of what was sought. Additionally, Krupp paid his attorneys $11,000 in legal fees. Krupp's case is one of the 30 that have been closed.

quote:
Aaron Pott, a UC Davis graduate who worked at Newton and Quintessa wineries as well as wineries in Bordeaux, is now the owner of Huis Clos Consulting, LLC. The lawsuit against him is seeking a a repayment of slightly more than more than $214,000 for work done from February 2008 through June 2011. The court documents list 30 payments during that time, made nearly every month, for $7,000 each.

Doesn't seem fair to those who performed services or provided goods to "owe the money" back. I would think that Bello himself would have to be responsible.
BSD
AG
you would think that, right????
aggiejumper
AG
Just received the email from Hundred Acre for the 2013 Kayli Morgan. Anyone tried it? It's super expensive but is a legendary wine, not Harlan but close in my opinion. Anyone want to talk a bottle from the 3 pack?
BSD
AG
How much are they? I see the 12's at $400 on wine-searcher. I've never tried their wine but I'm sure the '13 should be fantastic. That said, I'm probably passing as I still have a lot of '13s left to buy...relatively speaking.
aggiejumper
AG
3 bottle pack for $975. I'm going to buy 3 knowing I can sell one and keep two for a more reasonable amount.
HTownAg98
I've been finding some great deals on everyday drinkers on the HEB clearance shelf lately. I found a Joseph Drouhin Pouilly-Fuisse for $13.50. At that price, it just has to be decent, and it's way, way better than that.
There is typically a lot of crap on the clearance shelf, but sometime you can find some good deals.
BSD
AG
I just ordered my 2012 MacDonald allocation.
cecil77
AG
What would you be doing if you actually drank wine!?
cheeky
AG
just received an allocation of 2012 Dana Estates Cab Onda. Any thoughts at $175/bottle?
BSD
AG
Cecil, I can't even imagine what it would be like if I was still drinking. Or how broke I'd be.

Stagecoach, that is a lot of cash for a second wine. Dana has always been on the top end of the price spectrum, though. I'm not saying it isn't good (never had it and I saw good reviews) but it is a second wine and is about 800 cases.
aggiejumper
AG
How is Macdonald, I've heard it's more old world style? I've been on their waitlist for a while and haven't received an offer yet.
htxag09
AG
The wife and I enjoyed our first trip to Napa/Sonoma so much a few months ago we are going back! Well kinda, she has a work trip to San Francisco in late October and I just created an extended layover on my way to salt lake so we can sneak up to Napa, although it will only be a couple of days.

We are setting up a tasting with Realm at Chateau Boswell for Friday afternoon. BSD, in the exchanges I've had with realm they asked who referred me and I gave them your name. Thanks for the couple bottles from your allocation, hopefully I can add even more to it!

Friday evening we are deciding between Ad Hoc and Bouchon for dinner.

Saturday we are planning on doing 3 wineries. Planning on Envy and Rivers Marie in Calistoga. Not sure on the third, possibly burgess but most likely something in Napa as well be heading back to San Francisco that night.

So still open for suggestions on food (especially lunch Saturday, we ate at Calistoga Inn last time and enjoyed it, but would prefer somewhere new) and another winery.

Also open for lodging suggestions. Just found out about the trip so it's a bit last minute. Have a couple rooms we are looking at through VRBO for the night in St. Helena.
BSD
AG

quote:
We are setting up a tasting with Realm at Chateau Boswell for Friday afternoon. BSD, in the exchanges I've had with realm they asked who referred me and I gave them your name. Thanks for the couple bottles from your allocation, hopefully I can add even more to it!
I'm jealous. Enjoy! let me know how the new Pritchard Hill is tasting so I know if I need to order the full allocation next spring.

quote:
Friday evening we are deciding between Ad Hoc and Bouchon for dinner.
Bouchon. I love Ad Hoc but if I only had one meal between the two, I'd pick Bouchon since you have more choices (or TFL since it will be white truffle season). Ad Hoc is great but with the set menu, what if you aren't in the mood for what they are serving that night?

quote:
Saturday we are planning on doing 3 wineries. Planning on Envy and Rivers Marie in Calistoga. Not sure on the third, possibly burgess but most likely something in Napa as well be heading back to San Francisco that night.

Well done. That right there is a good day. Who is leading the tasting at Envy and Rivers Marie?

quote:
So still open for suggestions on food (especially lunch Saturday, we ate at Calistoga Inn last time and enjoyed it, but would prefer somewhere new) and another winery.
If you have some coin to spend, contact 750 Wines in St Helena. It's a hidden retail shop that does tastings of some high end wines. I love that place, but always came out poorer after buying a case or two. Even though I don't drink much, I still stop by there and say hello to them. About a block away is Cook, a great lunch spot. If you happen to be passing by and need to kill some time, Alpha Omega is a good stop and had great customer service for a larger winery/tasting room. Contact Jean in advance if you want a more in depth tour. Or, if you are just passing through, ask to barrel taste so that you can see what the club members get. The Stagecoach wines have been fantastic.

quote:
Also open for lodging suggestions. Just found out about the trip so it's a bit last minute. Have a couple rooms we are looking at through VRBO for the night in St. Helena.
Petit Logis is where we are staying now. Priced well and doesnt have all the spas and everything the other hotels have and that I dont use but pay for. It's a big room and good service at a great location. When we travel with the babysitter, we go the VRBO route.
BSD
AG
quote:
How is Macdonald, I've heard it's more old world style? I've been on their waitlist for a while and haven't received an offer yet.
Based on the tasting earlier this year, it's pretty good, young but good. I'll be aging mine about 8 years before I open a bottle. Very dark fruit and strong tannins.
htxag09
AG
It will be will at rivers Marie. I spoke to him and he said his schedule will return to normal after harvest. Haven't heard back from envy yet.

How long is the realm tour? We land in San Francisco around 9:30 so will head up and do lunch then the realm tour. Think we have time for another one after that?
BSD
AG
Will is a cool guy and one of my good friends. tell him I said hello. I always try to take him a rare beer or two, or at least something he can't get in Cali.

If you land at 9:30, you won't get out of SFO with your car til 10:45 and then it's lunchtime. Say you have a 2:00 at Realm...you should be able to get a 3:30 or 4:00 tasting in somewhere nearby.
htxag09
AG
Heads up to all houstonions, Houston wine merchant is having a 20% off sale on all 2011 California cabs. Inventory and pricing in link.

http://myemail.constantcontact.com/Houston-Wine-Merchant--Great-Deal-On-All-2011-California-Cabernets.html?soid=1103616898268&aid=A3MteGDjSAE
cecil77
AG
Is the price on their spreadsheet before or after the discount?
BSD
AG
I remember buying Overture at $25/btl. Quit buying at $40/btl. Now the price is outrageous.
htxag09
AG
Before discount.
BSD
AG
for 2011, I think most of those are grossly overpriced.
htxag09
AG
That's one of the main reasons I posted it. See yalls thoughts and if any were worth it. I know Houston wine merchant is generally a little higher than others so wasn't sure if this would bring them down to a good value.
HTownAg98
The Dunn and Montelena would be the only ones I would purchase off that list.
BSD
AG
I would pass. It's an off vintage and most of those are large producers that don't tend to the vines as much as they could have. The Dalla Valle looked like a good price after discount but again, it's 2011, probably not their best effort and you can spend money on other '12s and '13s for better wine at a better price. The Araujo looks nice, but it's still pricey on an absolute basis. The Vineyardist might be a good buy relative to new release pricing but that's about it.
cecil77
AG
I've seen Montelena as low as $34 at HEB.
HTownAg98
Then don't get the Montelena.
First Page Last Page
Page 85 of 301

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.