Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Whats in your wine cellar?

1,279,707 Views | 10508 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by QBCade
BSD
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I came to Austin last night to see some friends at their restaurants before a BBQ tour today. No wine at Dai Due for me but it was a delicious meal. Then we went to another spot off 6th that my buddy works at as the somm. It was the last night of operations as they are selling the space. All wines were half off so we were excited. Unfortunately we got there too late. The inventory was depleted. But I just happened to be delivering two cases to one of my buddies so I ran out to the car and got a 2013 Pott Her Majesty's Secret Service cabernet. I know it's young but everyone was excited to try it. The bottle was corked!!! Ugh. My first experience with a corked bottle from that winery. But it was better to find out now than after selling it to my buddy and him coming back to me 5 years from now. Luckily I had another bottle of the exact same wine for him so I ran back out to the car and grabbed it. This one was beautiful. Young and fruity but was everything the Stagecoach vineyard could be. Add that to the company of seeing old friends and making new ones, and I was a happy man. Cheers, gentlemen.
JMC04
AG
quote:
quote:
Has anyone every tried Proper Wines from WA? Their syrah has good reviews on cellar tracker, but wanted to see what you guys thought.

They offer a 3-pack which is perfect
I drink quite a bit of Washington wines but not familiar with these guys, sorry. you just looking for some syrah's to acquire and try?
Bullary, I ended up buying the Proper Syrah 3-pack this fall, and opened up a bottle this weekend. It was fabulous, and for $38 a screaming value. I'll be buying a lot more this fall. Highly recommend giving them a try!

cheeky
AG
The Realm allocation was a mess. It was up, then it was down, I had an order, then suddenly I didn't....only to start over to get only Absurd and a magnum everything else was gone. Really ticks me off considering how much I bought last year
BSD
AG
That sucks so hard. Did you email them to voice your complaint? They need to hear it. According to the email I received, they are trying to help out those that had issues.
reload85
Brown guy, I have been collecting proper since their first vintage widely released the 2010. I haven't opened one yet. 6 to 8 years bottle age is gre sweet spot for WA state Syrahs of consequence . My 2 bottles of 13 haven't arrived yet. Glad to hear you were impressed. Cheers!
htxag09
AG
Wow, had quite the Monday evening...

Went to dinner at Hunky Dory with the wife. My birthday was last week and we haven't done anything, nor are we doing anything for valentines so splurged a little.

Had a snapper ceviche to start our dinner. Also just got one of their Napa house cabs. Nothing fancy since we were splurging on the dessert wine. For our main meal we split a bone in ribeye topped with shaved black truffles and roasted bone marrow. I love bone marrow and it didn't disappoint. The steak was dry aged and cooked perfectly. The black truffles were also very good. It was our first go with truffles and we enjoyed it. Though I do think the meat is a little strong and may have overpowered them slightly.

For dessert we had a sticky toffee pudding and a flight of Chateau d'Yquem: 1981, 1995, and 2003. We were blown away, even though these may be considered "off vintages". And while the pudding was delicious, it was definitely outshined by the wine....

The nose on all 3 was simply amazing. I could smell these wines all day every day. Also, a disclaimer that I feel bad just writing these reviews as I'm definitely doing the wine an injustice.

1981: strong apricot and slightly citrus nose. This wine wasn't as bold as the others but still very good. Flavors of apricot and citrus. Finished with tones of butterscotch.

1995: nose of apricot as well. But this one had more orange and honey on the nose to go with the apricot. Thicker texture and sweeter, but not overly sweet. This wine was much bolder, balanced, and had a lot more depth to it. Had a longer finish as well.

2003: Again had a strong apricot nose. But complemented with a hint of honey and vanilla, very slight floral/lavender on the nose as well. The wine was very balanced and clean/crisp. Had flavors of apricot and a hint of nuttiness to it. Also had a good long finish.

Edited to add pictures....
Chipotlemonger
AG
Awesome.
BSD
AG
I'm glad to see you pulled the trigger...nice work!
bularry
quote:
quote:
quote:
Has anyone every tried Proper Wines from WA? Their syrah has good reviews on cellar tracker, but wanted to see what you guys thought.

They offer a 3-pack which is perfect
I drink quite a bit of Washington wines but not familiar with these guys, sorry. you just looking for some syrah's to acquire and try?
Bullary, I ended up buying the Proper Syrah 3-pack this fall, and opened up a bottle this weekend. It was fabulous, and for $38 a screaming value. I'll be buying a lot more this fall. Highly recommend giving them a try!

great to hear, I will be on the lookout!

for you and reload (peeps interested in WA wine) I had a bit of a success story last week. Got the Gramercy mailer in January and they had enough production to offer the Reserve Cab and the John Lewis syrah to the mailing list (usually club only). anyway, the offer was 1 of each but I put an additional 2 of each as a "wish list" item and wrote a long email about my appreciation for their wines, blah, blah blah.

Long story short, got the wish list filled and wine will arrive on Friday.

Very pumped to be getting some '12 and '13 wines from Gramercy. I am also getting the '14 Stonessence Syrah next November as that "wish" was granted, too from Reynvaan.

sadly, to counter that spending I am not ordering any Betz or Abeja this spring or fall. oh well, can't do it all.
BSD
AG
Maybach delivery day! The mag is a pretty sight.

reload85
bularry, I have never seen the higher end Grammecy stuff available . I have a couple of bottles if the lower eastside cab and a Syrah bidding their time in the wine fridge. Tell me what you think when the time comes. Kicking myself that I have failed to pull the trigger on Betz opportunities . By the way, Result of the Crush is an inexpensive way to try Reyvann's wines.
bularry
reload, yes I am very excited to get the '12 Reserve Cab and the '13 John Lewis Syrah. I spoke with their club rep a couple of months ago and it seems they've had a surge in membership recently, likely due to the high scores. I am sticking with Delille for now as my big Wash club of choice, but when Upchurch leaves as winemaker, and I think he will in the next couple of years, then I'll likely move my buying over to Gramercy.

I have had a few of the Reynvaan's from '09 and '10 vintage, but not Stoneessence. They make really nice wines, but they have gotten a bit pricey. I have bought a bit of '13 and now a bit more of the '14 vintage. Not sure how many more I'll go if prices rise any more.

BSD, awesome photo! A magnum in a wooden box is just a very cool visual to a wine nerd like myself.
jh0400
AG
Any reccs for Williamette Valley wineries or tasting rooms between Portland and Salem?
bularry
quote:
Any reccs for Williamette Valley wineries or tasting rooms between Portland and Salem?
that is a big area. tons of wineries.

a really pretty place we visited that is off the beaten path a bit is Colene Clemens. real neat covered patio where you can see down the hillside and over their vineyards. google and see if they are in the area you are diving through.
JMC04
AG
quote:
Brown guy, I have been collecting proper since their first vintage widely released the 2010. I haven't opened one yet. 6 to 8 years bottle age is gre sweet spot for WA state Syrahs of consequence . My 2 bottles of 13 haven't arrived yet. Glad to hear you were impressed. Cheers!
I'll keep the 6-8 year rule in mind for the future, thanks for the tip! Maybe I'll buy the 9 pack this year, and that will help keep some bottles in the cellar.

I order 3 Quivet Syrah's, and I'm curious to see how they compare since they are similarly priced.
JMC04
AG
quote:
reload, yes I am very excited to get the '12 Reserve Cab and the '13 John Lewis Syrah. I spoke with their club rep a couple of months ago and it seems they've had a surge in membership recently, likely due to the high scores. I am sticking with Delille for now as my big Wash club of choice, but when Upchurch leaves as winemaker, and I think he will in the next couple of years, then I'll likely move my buying over to Gramercy.

I have had a few of the Reynvaan's from '09 and '10 vintage, but not Stoneessence. They make really nice wines, but they have gotten a bit pricey. I have bought a bit of '13 and now a bit more of the '14 vintage. Not sure how many more I'll go if prices rise any
Wife and I are thinking about doing a Portland/Walla Walla trip sometime this year, and Gramercy is at the top of my tasting list. When we get more serious about it, I'll definitely be asking you guys for advice
bularry
I had to cancel plans to visit Walla Walla this year, but defintely will be going next year. A friend is in the Cayuse club so we will go with him to their release party next spring as part of an extended trip.

that area has really exploded with eating and hotel options over the past 5 years.
rononeill
for Willamette (we were based in Newberg), we really enjoyed our visits at Du Ponte and Brickhouse. Argyle is a good first stop bc they've got a lot of sparkling stuff (if you want to make a stop before lunch. I'd skip Domaine Serene and do White Rose instead. Beautiful scenery and very cool tasting room - we went on a grey/rainy afternoon and it seemed almost medival with the fog and the carved out cave... We went to Beaux Freres - excellent wine, but very blah tasting experience. Oh - Alexana was awesome - totally surprised by it. We got into the area around 3 and figured we'd just drive up somewhere. Beautiful house and views - its owned by a doctor out of Humble, but he's commissioned Lynne Penner-Ashe to develop it.
FarmerJohn
AG
quote:
we really enjoyed our visits at Du Ponte
Our in-laws went there, bought a case of pinot, and then we bought 5 off of them. Not been myself but the product is quality.
AlexSAWineguy
AG
Let my "loss" be your gain. We accidentally opened a 2013 Rivers Marie Cabernet this weekend (was supposed to open a 2010 Sonoma Coast Pinot), but c'est la vie. I enjoyed it...a lot! Plenty of tannin, but it had layer after layer of dark fruit, just delicious. Opened at 6pm for a 7pm dinner, showed well. Killed half the bottle the first night and by 6pm the next day it was screaming. So glad I've stocked up on the 2013's.
BSD
AG
It happens. My wife opened up a Ridge Monte Bello one night when I was out of town when she was supposed to grab a zin. I had to pay up to go back and fill that hole (anniversary vintage).

I took some really important clients to dinner last night. We went with the 2001 Dalla Valle. Mmmmm....too bad I only had one glass!
cecil77
AG
FWIW starting this weekend I'm pouring Saturday and Sundays in the Reserve Room at Inwood Estates.

It would be great to see some of you reprobates there!
JMC04
AG
quote:
Oh - Alexana was awesome - totally surprised by it. We got into the area around 3 and figured we'd just drive up somewhere. Beautiful house and views - its owned by a doctor out of Humble, but he's commissioned Lynne Penner-Ashe to develop it.
Recently tried the Alexana Pinot Gris and really liked it. It was at Specs for $27.
Stan Crowch
AG
https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-tim-ferriss-show/id863897795?mt=2&i=354113698

This is a great wine, whiskey and life related potcast.
AlexSAWineguy
AG
FWIW, I've been to Inwood Estates and tried the reserve tasting. It is worth the trip just to interact with Dan and the reserve Tempranillo wines can be tasted side by side with Numanthia Termes (Super tasting). Dan has a unique view on winemaking and was very knowledgeable. We enjoyed the reserve wines and the food at the attached bistro.
bularry
reload, my local wine shop got some '12 Reynvaan's in recently. I picked up a couple of the "in the hills". He got a case of that and a case of the Unnamed. pretty cool I was able to locate these. $65, too, which is a decent price.
Thriller
AG
This thread is a bit daunting, but I plan on going through it over the next few days.

My wife and I are making our first trip to the Bay Area and Napa Valley next week for our first vacation without the kids in 5+ years. I'm sure you've discussed it before, but I'd appreciate any can't miss tours or tastings.

We've been given a couple of suggestions, but I know you guys know your stuff. On the list as the only one guaranteed so far is Shafer.

If it matters, we're primarily red wine drinkers and love a great Cabernet Sauvignon. Anything geared towards that would be great, but we are also open to just great properties or amazing tours/tastings.

Thanks!
cecil77
AG
A quick review of the thread will yield a lot.

I'll just mention a couple of opinions:

1) Don't over schedule. Three wineries per day is plenty.

2) We didn't enjoy walk up and stand in line tastings at large production wineries. Prior reservations for tastings as smaller wineries were more enjoyable.

3) Avoid the Castle de Whatever and Del Dotto and V. Sattui

Other than that there really isn't much that won't be great!
cecil77
AG
Myriad Syrah offered today. Got six various Syrah, including whole cluster and some Semillon.

BSD
AG
quote:
Myriad Syrah offered today. Got six various Syrah, including whole cluster and some Semillon.

i passed.
cecil77
AG
Below your pay grade, right?
BSD
AG
ha. I'm just not that much of a syrah fan to use my rare glass of wine on that varietal. Myriad is certainly in the rotation, though.
cecil77
AG
One goal I have as part of continuing wine education (and thankfully I don't have to throttle my intake) is expanding my palette. There's such a huge world of wine out there...
BSD
AG
Do it! I was on my way. Myriad was actually the first syrah I enjoyed. The rest I tried were way too earthy but they opened the door on what it could be.
cecil77
AG
I'm learning to embrace the earth.

The Tempranillos I pour every Saturday have some. But old world Pinot, Rhone wines (Syrah from the North of course) and more.

Even a few whites working their way in...

If you (any of you) are ever out this way on a Saturday, I think you'd enjoy the Inwood Estates tasting. Especially if you're lucky enough to get Dan Gatlin instead of me. He's a very opinionated about what he does, but with 36 years of growing several dozen varieties of grape, he has a right to be!
First Page Last Page
Page 98 of 301

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.