Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Whats in your wine cellar?

1,276,189 Views | 10508 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by QBCade
cecil77
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
"Wine for Dummies" is a good start.

Kevin Zraly's Windows on the World "Complete Wine Course" is also very good. I found one in a thrift shop for a buck.

Just have fun. You may have to be willing to dump some bottles down the sink (or save them for cooking) but just start drinking.

One thing I wish I had done sooner is learning labels. Even in the wine shop you can get a bottle of European wine and google the terms on the label, it's pretty interesting.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Think I've seen one of those "for idiots" books on it. Complete Guide to Wine for Idiots?

Not trying to troll, it looked like a pretty good platform.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Is it Dummies and not Idiots? My bad.
cecil77
AG
There's both series. Dummies is yellow. Idiots is orange.

I've got the dummies one.
BSD
AG
quote:
quote:
Whats the best way for a beginner to start to understand the differences in wines, vineyards, etc. Are there easy to read books on this stuff?
Drink. A lot.
this. and visit wineries as often as you can.
cecil77
AG
BSD. Email sent.
BSD
AG
you da man! thank you, sir.
ILikeTacos
AG
I gotta stop buying **** online when I drink...

htxag09
AG
Heads up, HEB is having their 10% off cabs sale until the 24th.
BSD
AG
quote:
I gotta stop buying **** online when I drink...

At least you have an excuse. I'm just plain dumb. (Bought '14 Schrader 6+1 today)
BSD
AG
quote:
Heads up, HEB is having their 10% off cabs sale until the 24th.

Bunker Hill HEB had 2012 Chappellet when I was these last night. I wanted to pull the trigger but $189 is about 50% higher than where I thought it would be priced. $171 still is on the high side but I do love Pritchard Hill.
cecil77
AG
Plus 10% off that for six or more mixed bottles.
BSD
AG
Enablers. All of you!
htxag09
AG
Not sure what happened and I tried stopping the cashier, but I got three bottles of Caymus. Two at $56.69 with the two sales, but the third rang up at $35.99. I'll take it!
aggiejumper
AG
AG07, are you just now receiving your '12 Hundred Acre? The '13 is supposed to ship March of next year I think; I don't want to wait til next fall for my wine.
ILikeTacos
AG
quote:
AG07, are you just now receiving your '12 Hundred Acre? The '13 is supposed to ship March of next year I think; I don't want to wait til next fall for my wine.

I was a late comer to the mailing list, and was part of a newbie release two weeks ago. Just got the allocation for 2013 Ark email and it said spring delivery, so I assume it will be?
bularry
quote:
Whats the best way for a beginner to start to understand the differences in wines, vineyards, etc. Are there easy to read books on this stuff?
as has been mentioned, read a lot (I don't read enough) and do some tasting/drinking

I'm pretty new to wine and I really learned a lot about 5 years ago when I was planning first trip to Cali wine country. wife and I love Pinot so we were going to RRV area. anyway, I just started looking up wineries in the area using the AVA websites and then reading winery websites. something else I did was start googling the top restaurants in the area and their wine lists, which made me aware of producers I didn't know.

anyway, gained quite a bit of knowledge of the area by chasing that google rabbit hole over the course of several weeks.
reload85
Here is a link to a nice article about PNW making inroads in Texas. Nice quotes at the end from an Aggie winemaker,Marty Clubb. http://www.greatnorthwestwine.com/2015/12/15/40129/
jh0400
AG
Watching episodes of Uncorked from the DVR, and I have to wonder how anyone could afford to taste all the wines you'd have to know to pass the tasting portion of the sommelier exams.
RangerRick9211
AG
quote:
Watching episodes of Uncorked from the DVR, and I have to wonder how anyone could afford to taste all the wines you'd have to know to pass the tasting portion of the sommelier exams.
They don't pay for a lot of it - a perk of being in the industry. Jack has some 50+ bottles at his apt.; a healthy portion he hasn't paid for. He buys Marta's inventory and vendors are always bringing him bottles. It's also his job to know what they serve, so he tastes plenty through the restaurant. They encourage it - a MS on-staff, especially one of Forbes 30 under 30 and on network TV, is good promotional fodder.

His ridiculous stuff comes through customers, events and other somms. Every-time we visit and eat somewhere, wine is tossed his way to try. It's awesome for us! There's also plenty of customers that want experience their collection with a MS.
cecil77
AG
By the time someone is attempting the Master level, they're already an established wine rock star. One reason so few go for it, is they're already earning serious coin from wine prior to getting to that level.
BSD
AG
I never thought I'd see this at HEB:

aggiejumper
AG
That's cheap too, I'd buy it if I saw some in SA.
Gig-Em2003
AG
How many bottles were on the shelf?
BSD
AG
2-3. I'll grab em if yall want em. I need to go back anyways. I asked for an '06 Dom P at $145/btl and he gave me the $179 limited edition packaging Dom. Like I care about the damn box!
BSD
AG
They also had this, but at $280 I had to pass.

Gig-Em2003
AG
If you'll leave one there for me I'll go buy it tomorrow. I live near the Bunker Hill HEB
BSD
AG
That's all you! Knock yourself out.
Gig-Em2003
AG
Talking about the M Etain to be clear. I ain't baller enough for that Chappelet!
BSD
AG
right, there was 2-3 Etains that I won't be buying. I'm waiting on the Scarecrow.
bularry
pretty impressive they have a pritchard hill chappellet. that's only a couple thousand case production, isn't it?
BSD
AG
I think I've seen it there before. Specs use to have it, too...at $120. The new price hurts.
HTownAg98
The Signature cab used to be in the $45 range. Now it's $50-$55. Thankfully, the mountain cuvee is still around $25.
BSD
AG
I got the signature as gifts for my coworkers at $50/btl with the 10% discount.
cheeky
AG
wow I paid $158/bottle for the 2013 Etain direct from Scarecrow, not including the shipping. That is a steal!
First Page Last Page
Page 92 of 301

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.