Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Whats in your wine cellar?

1,259,054 Views | 10397 Replies | Last: 8 hrs ago by cecil77
TP Ag '87
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Wow, I'm not making this up:

The guy at Pride Mountain, who was a really cool guy, gave us the EXACT SAME LINE.

That was right before my smarta$$ buddy, who wasn't ever really into wine until we told him he'd have a good time in Napa (which he and his wife did) started with HIS routine:

Swirl
Smell
Swirl
Hold up to his ear to LISTEN to the wine
Sip.

I died every time the wine snobs looked at him doing it.
ILikeTacos
AG
quote:
Swirl
Smell
Swirl
Hold up to his ear to LISTEN to the wine
Sip.
cecil77
AG
Oh geez. I will be unable to resist doing that...
Pedro Cerano
AG
Wow. So I got my email today just a little after noon for the 2013 Myriad Beckstoffer Dr. Cranes. Had a few meetings in the afternoon and logged on just now to claim my allocation (2 of each).....and they're gone!

Guess I'll have to move a little quicker next time.
cecil77
AG
If you're a previous buyer you should have been able to last Tuesday. I am but my account didn't show it I had to call Mike and he enabled it.
BSD
AG
Call Mike and ask him if he has any left.
Pedro Cerano
AG
I actually was a previous buyer, but didn't get the notification last Tuesday. Guess I should have paid more attention to the announcement email a while back. I'll email him and make sure I'm on the previous buyer list going forward.
BSD
AG
If he can't help and you really, really want a Crane (not Elysian), let me know. I may be able to help.
HTownAg98
Opened a 2009 Jonata "Todos" Santa Inez Valley. A Syrah dominated (63%) kitchen sink blend. A $35 wine that drinks like something you'd pay $75+ for. I bought all they had at Alberico in McAllen.
aggiejumper
AG
I'm lucky and excited I picked up 2 of the Elysian, 1 Dr. Crane, and one of the whites for fun. Never tried Myriad wines before but hear great things and plan on buying some of their regular cabs coming up later this year. For ya'll veterans, BSD and Cecil, are Mikes wines as good as advertised? I have yet to hear a bad review on his wines.
cecil77
AG
BSD is the expert. I'm still cellaring most of mine. I got a couple of the semillons as well. His Quivet label Syrah arrives Friday!
MHLY01
AG
Got 2 and 2 from Myriad. Was at Envy today but didn't get a chance to taste with Mike.
BSD
AG
quote:
are Mikes wines as good as advertised? I have yet to hear a bad review on his wines.

They are as good as advertised...and you won't hear anything bad from me, either. Great wines. Even better person.
bularry
didn't Del Dotto make his fortune running fake real estate seminars about "buying real estate cheap", etc. back in the late 80's? I could be wrong, but think I read that a while back.
cecil77
AG
Did Del Dotto once. Won't be doing it again.
cecil77
AG
All Cabs sale at HEB.
BSD
AG
I think they're on sale at central market too. Of course the markups there are ridiculous so you're really not "saving" money.
TP Ag '87
AG
Thanks, Cecil. That was the ONLY reason I followed HEB on Twitter and I saw nada about this. Unfollow coming.
cecil77
AG
BSD, that is not my experience at HEB.
BSD
AG
No, HEB is quite different. I've found great deals there on sales in the past. Central Market, however, doesnt really offer savings during their sales.
cheeky
AG
Added some Law Estate Audacious to the cellar over the weekend. Drank an '11 and laid two down. It was my first experience with that style of blended wine from Paso Robles and it was quite good if you can find any I would recommend it as a tremendous value. Picked them up from a fine wine dealer for $75 each.
MooreTrucker
AG
quote:
What do you recommend?

Here's ours: Our Cellar
What did you use to put that chart together?

Our "cellar" is mostly from J Lohr, Wild Horse, and Sextant wine clubs from our trip to the Central Coast last year.

And random wines from the WSJ Discovery Club, a visit to Ruidoso in January, and our local wine shop.
cecil77
AG
I wrote a program. Uses FirebirdSQL database.

There are much better solutions online...

I "played wine" last weekend and updated the list to only decent wines.

Just now updated it online, FWIW.
TP Ag '87
AG
Saw this posted over on the Aggies Only board. Anyone have any experience with them and/or their product?

Lightning Wines
TP Ag '87
AG
I did just find this on my previous question:

Lightning Wines '13 TexAgs Thread
BSD
AG
I remember that thread. I was trying to be very tactful to call her out on her little lie and then didnt comment her "bubble gum" comment.
BSD
AG
A really good wine from our anniversary dinner last night.

TP Ag '87
AG
Wow. You've shown great discipline there, BSD.
BSD
AG
The Pappas Bros were the ones that were patient on that one.
TP Ag '87
AG
Ah. I'll bet they were real patient in collecting the mortgage on that as well.
BSD
AG
Yep, they do charge quite a bit for their provenance. That's why we don't go there often. We did have a $100 gift card from one of my wife's vendors so that at least paid for my wagyu filet!
HTownAg98
quote:
Ah. I'll bet they were real patient in collecting the mortgage on that as well.

I felt the same way when I went to LaV in Austin. They should have handed me a bottle of lube when they gave me the wine list.
cecil77
AG
We've gotten to the point where we don't even buy good wine at nice restaurants any more. When you know they're charging 300% or more of what you can buy it for, it's just hard. We like restaurants that allow us to bring our own, and gladly pay the corkage.
Geriatric Punk
AG
For those of you that like a modestly price red blend, try Chronic Cellars. I don't believe they distribute to Texas, but if you are ever in Paso Robles it is worth the stop. They make some tasty stuff that doesn't break the bank.
HTownAg98
Or, just go to restaurants that don't have outrageous markups.
First Page Last Page
Page 75 of 298

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.